history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 27 2022 12:43PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Twenty monks and one nun, who was named Eshun, were practicing meditation with a certain Zen master. Eshun was very pretty even though her head was shaved and her dress plain. Several monks secretly fell in love with her. One of them wrote... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WE ARE NOT ATTACHED TO THINGS. WE ARE ATTACHED TO OUR IDEAS ABOUT THINGS.
vertical line Posted on Sep.06.2005 @ 11:52AM EDT by stephen

This can lead to seeing and believing that things are the way we want them to be, but it also can cause us to see what we are afraid of (as in paranoia), or just what we have gotten in the habit of seeing. Any textbook on psychology will have examples. Look under "cognitive dissonance". This lack of contact with reality is what Buddhism means by "ignorance". It is a problem because reality feels no obligation to live up to our ideas about it. If we are emotionally attached to the idea of things being permanent, even though we know better intellectually, then when things break, in addition to the natural regret, we feel betrayed and offended! It wasn't "supposed to" do that!

Go to Latest Reply    Email stephen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zatoichi
Sep.06.2005
01:53PM EDT 
vertical line you have discovered fire
vertical line Topic closed! 44123
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.06.2005
05:12PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line i have not noticed the lettering beside the original message before now. Can anyone tell me, What does it say?
vertical line Topic closed! 44126
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowandzen
Sep.08.2005
01:32PM EDT 
vertical line Thanks for the clarification.  I am new to Zen.  Your thoughts are helpful.
vertical line Topic closed! 44239
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.08.2005
04:50PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line psychology: mind/heart ? Oh !
vertical line Topic closed! 44242
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 1500free
Sep.08.2005
10:44PM EDT 
Email 1500free
vertical line Stephen, I've missed the point, help me.
vertical line Topic closed! 44245
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHIST MONKS IN TIBET
by Flip Chalfant
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s