history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Sep 17 2014 01:34PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring. The professor watched the overflow... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ZEN AND DEPRESSION
vertical line Posted on Feb.20.2007 @ 02:38AM EDT by jayenbee
I am looking into some of the principles of Zen Meditation as a way to cope with my chronic depression without the support of medication. I would be grateful for any insight to useful resources/books/CDs etc. that people may think will help me in this.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.20.2007
06:38AM EDT 
vertical line Your experience with depression can be a gift to others. You didn't choose depression - you can blame yourself for it, ignore it, reject it, refuse it and hate it or you can listen to your depression in meditation and accept it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68853
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Feb.20.2007
08:21AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

http://www.wildmind.org/meditation/depression/index.html

http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/kyt17.html

If sadness is your suffering then happiness is on the way. MU

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68855
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from whatzen
Feb.20.2007
11:45AM EDT 
Email whatzen
vertical line Remember, you are not your chronic depression.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68863
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.20.2007
02:52PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Completely accept your depression, and take it easy on the meditation. Don't force the river. Allow compassion for yourself to be your guide.

'Zen Path Through Depression',  Philip Martin.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68870
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Feb.20.2007
06:48PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line Quote: "Completely accept your depression, and take it easy on the meditation. Don't force the river. Allow compassion for yourself to be your guide.

'Zen Path Through Depression',  Philip Martin.
"
......... Sit with it. Then let it go. You got to know of it be for you can let go of it. This will make you a stroner person
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68897
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Feb.21.2007
07:04PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line if you sit and say count your breaths then you wont have time to listen to negative talk from your mind about depression. also meditation helps with this. depression is also a feeling. once you become unattached to this feeling it will pass.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68923
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.22.2007
06:17AM EDT 
vertical line Living and sitting in the question isn't "listening to negative talk from your mind 'about' depression".
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68931
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.22.2007
06:20AM EDT 
vertical line The question of depression, that is.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 68932
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from bodhi_zen
Feb.23.2007
06:46AM EDT 
Email bodhi_zen
vertical line jot down things that make get deppressed. the cause of it. and tear the paper into peaces. and tell urself that u are not feeling bad, guilty about ur past. this helps.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 69008
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from LeonBasin
Sep.21.2010
05:18AM EDT 
Email LeonBasin
vertical line Have to bump this!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116636
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.21.2010
08:19AM EDT 
vertical line Nice technique.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116649
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.21.2010
08:21AM EDT 
vertical line This is: meditation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116650
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.21.2010
10:35AM EDT 
vertical line Backronyms are cool.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116670
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from andy_lon
Sep.22.2010
10:09AM EDT 
vertical line

Replace anxiety with depression.

"We intrinsically have the countenance of the person of suchness and so need not be anxious about the essence of suchness. Because anxiety is itself the essence of suchness, it is not anxiety." Dogen

http://mro.org/zmm/teachings/myotai/myotai20.php

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116748
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.22.2010
11:24AM EDT 
vertical line We have not been free of disease hitherto; we have had the Buddha bug and the patriarch bug. Intellectual excluding now adds to the disease and augments the disease. The very moment itself of eliminating is inevitably disturbance. They are simultaneous and are beyond simultaneousness. Disturbance always includes the fact of trying to eliminate them.

~ Dogen
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116751
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Sep.22.2010
09:09PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line /facePalm
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116766
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.22.2010
10:45PM EDT 
vertical line Bite me. It's fun.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 116776
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nicolelord
May.13.2011
05:11AM EDT 
Email nicolelord
vertical line My friend is also taking medication for depression. But I heard first time...what is ZEN medication?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125186
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.13.2011
07:58AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line a typo,

should mean meditation which could be argued is a unsubstantial medication
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125188
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.13.2011
08:09AM EDT 
vertical line Neediation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125191
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sakura
May.14.2011
10:54PM EDT 
vertical line Depression is a choice, since it is created in the mind you do have control over it. I don't believe in any of the doctor-prescribed medications. Only you can control your state of mind.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125275
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from florence
May.15.2011
12:51AM EDT 
vertical line I've never heard of depression in third world countries no matter how destitute most of their people are. In fact, you always see them smiling and there's always hope in their eyes. I guess depression is a rich man's disease, another term for boredom.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125278
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
May.15.2011
06:38AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Depression is a choice, since it is created in the mind you do have control over it. I don't believe in any of the doctor-prescribed medications. Only you can control your state of mind. "

There are things you can do, but probably still hurdles to leap over.

Self Hypnosis can be a valuable tool.  Once you know how to 'count yourself down', you can do it just about any time anywhere.

I finally talked to my brother about the many times he had tried to kill me as a baby, and how he made my life miserable with his petty tortures long after that.  I asked him how he felt about that.  He said he no remorse whatsoever, older siblings do that kind of thing, it was just the way it was back then.

I thought about that.  I remembered seeing an interview with a Nazi SS Officer, talking about the Holocaust, who said, *You had to be zere. Its just de vay it vas back zen*.

I decided that my brother, having no remorse for countless felonies, is no less a sociopath than a Nazi, and I dont want anything more to do with him.  Since then I have been estranged from him and his immediate family, and I have not been experiencing depression anymore. 

Whenever it arises, I just recall that I have settled that matter and put it behind me.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125284
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.15.2011
01:02PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line no! people are responsible for their choices, the name of the organisation doesnt matter, nazi, human race, soldier, this is one of the reasons humanity is where it is now. 'he did it i can too, if i dont do it i lose my job, it was him or me'

glad u settled with u bro though
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125348
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
May.16.2011
04:17AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "no! people are responsible for their choices, the name of the organisation doesnt matter, nazi, human race, soldier, this is one of the reasons humanity is where it is now. 'he did it i can too, if i dont do it i lose my job, it was him or me'

glad u settled with u bro though
"

All you can do is your best.

Life is mostly a process of *muddling through*.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125378
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Jeffrey
May.16.2011
04:22AM EDT 
vertical line Yeah its a choice.  Like if I will walk around with an amputated limb because I chose to amputate it.  Who would choose depression?  Ignoramus.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125380
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Jeffrey
May.16.2011
04:25AM EDT 
vertical line Thats like saying people with diabetes choose diabetes and that they shouldn't take insulin.  Ignorant.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125381
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Jeffrey
May.16.2011
04:26AM EDT 
vertical line Mind and body interpenetrate.  Thinking they are two leads to a self view.  (additional uneccesary) Suffering.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125382
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.16.2011
04:34AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line diabetes has a lot to do with choice, it is a matter of diet and exercise. Accept it or not up to u. (at least before you become diabetic)

but this is not the point i make, the point i make is that you allways have a choice to be a Nazi or a criminal or a murderer these are decisions (or decisions not to make the decision) just to accept and do what you are told.

These decisions are do i want to take life? do i have regard for life? do i respect others perspective on posessions do i steal them?

just my opinion anyway i not asking you to understand.

you either make the decisions yourself or allow others to make them for you up to each person.

as my mother allways said if i told you to jump of a cliff would you? i hope this helps

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125383
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.16.2011
04:37AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i wasnt saying depression is a choice you have misunderstood, it is this media 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125384
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.16.2011
04:39AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i was directly replying to stardusters comment bout his brother, 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125385
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.16.2011
06:21AM EDT 
vertical line In Type 1 Diabetes, the body destroys the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. When your body destroys the good stuff, it has what is called an autoimmune disease. Diabetes Type 1 is known as an autoimmune disease.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125391
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.16.2011
07:04AM EDT 
vertical line Poverty is not a cure for depression in so-called third world countries.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125397
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
May.16.2011
08:17AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "i was directly replying to stardusters comment bout his brother,  "

Obviously, unresolved issues need to be resolved so you can move on.

I only wish I had done it sooner, but I waited until both parents were dead and their affairs were settled.  They always wanted us to get along.

(Years before, at 14, when he was 16, I finally *called him out* to fight in the backyard.  Suffice it to say that he ran away waving his arms in the air like a little girl.  I nearly killed him for a change.  We still fought verbally after that, but he never tried to get physical with me again.)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125399
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.16.2011
12:12PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line blessed are the cheese makers for they shall inherit the earth
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125431
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.16.2011
01:26PM EDT 
vertical line Four year old cheddar, cave aged.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125433
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
May.16.2011
08:53PM EDT 
vertical line changing external circumstances might be hard, key is to choose how you will relate to it. Self acceptance are words pointing in a direction.

How you feel abouth youreself is a key. If one is doing the best of a situation, and beeing damn near proud of oneself, then one have a good self feeling. With this good self feeling, the world seems good, even thou everything is excatly as before really.

Feeling bad, down, at least tell you`re friend. (That you want to be alone because youre depressed). I`ts amazing how persistent they can be in invading ones privacy when they understand that you do not dislike them, but youreself.

That was my 5 nickles, namaste
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125450
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.16.2011
11:09PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line 'Going To Pieces Without Falling Apart", by Mark Epstein
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125454
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.17.2011
04:13PM EDT 
vertical line Tree fells man.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125493
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nicolelord
May.18.2011
06:22AM EDT 
Email nicolelord
vertical line I found lot of replays here. I have question about medication. suppose I am taking antidepressants and I am feeling better, so my question is should I continue with the same antidepressants without reffering Doctor?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125530
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.18.2011
06:24AM EDT 
vertical line Address your questions to your doctor.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125532
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
May.22.2011
06:26AM EDT 
vertical line

I was really feeling bad after my second divorce in 1981.  Also had a lot of other stuff going on at the same time.

Went to the self-help section of the bookstore and read all kinds of stuff.  I recall taking a number of psychological tests that were in the books, for self inventory.

In particular I recall taking a Stree Index test.  300 was critical, and I scored a 450. Yikes.  But it put me on track to solve my own problems.

Okay, meds if you need them.  But also study and learn about your own condition so you can help yourself too.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 125804
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nicolelord
May.30.2011
01:30AM EDT 
Email nicolelord
vertical line I found my self in depression since last 2 weeks. I don't know why..I am not feelink well. In company also I can't concentrate on y works..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126021
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
May.30.2011
04:41AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I found my self in depression since last 2 weeks. I don't know why..I am not feelink well. In company also I can't concentrate on y works.. "

In meditation, the only thing you need to be able to concentrate on is your breathing.

It helps to take a *time out* in order to remain focused on the rest of your life.  Even if only for a minute or two at a time. 

Any time you can pause, close your eyes, and feel your breath entering and exiting your body, slowly.

Meditation is not another demand on you.  Dont let it be one.  Scheduling it, rearranging your schedule for it, etc, counternands it purpose, which is simply to be able to *stop*.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126022
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
May.30.2011
06:41AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "I found my self in depression since last 2 weeks. I don't know why..I am not feelink well. In company also I can't concentrate on y works.. "

In meditation, the only thing you need to be able to concentrate on is your breathing.

It helps to take a *time out* in order to remain focused on the rest of your life.  Even if only for a minute or two at a time. 

Any time you can pause, close your eyes, and feel your breath entering and exiting your body, slowly.

Meditation is not another demand on you.  Dont let it be one.  Scheduling it, rearranging your schedule for it, etc, counternands it purpose, which is simply to be able to *stop*.

"

"

pretty much. very good don. i like this.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126026
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
May.31.2011
05:03AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

pretty much. very good don. i like this.

"

"

A number of people were surprised at how quickly I learned to snow ski.  I was on my way to the top of the mountain in less than an hour.

While practicing on the Bunny Slopes down below I knew exactly what to learn first:  How to Stop !! 

It helped that I already had experience ice skating.  The edge controls are the same.  Skiiing is just like skating in clown shoes.

Learning how to stop worked.  If I got going too fast I just stopped, or partially stopped until I slowed down enough to go again.  When in doubt, just stop.

And meditation works that way in life too.  If it seems that life is going too fast, or is overwhelming in some way, take a moment, a pause, close your eyes, breathe slow and easy, and feel your breaths enter and exit your body slow and easy, and then pick up where you left off with a renewed outlook.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126060
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
May.31.2011
07:03AM EDT 
vertical line Considering depression - generalisations don't help.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126065
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.01.2011
06:17AM EDT 
vertical line

Im not sure that the physical effects of depression are more than the overall affects of depression.

Depression causes depression, in a clinical sense.

Ive been suicidal since the age of three.  Depressed virtually my whole life.  Most kids three years old dont even know about death, let alone covet it.  But when someone tries to kill you everyday for an extended period of time, you learn about death.

Since I finally made the decision to estrange my brother, the principal factor in my depression, it has gone away.  I wish Id known that earlier.  Still I had to wait until the rest of the family, mom and dad and the grandparents, uncles and aunts, had passed away.  Now that they are all gone, so is he.

I have no family except for a couple of cousins in Canada that I see about every 20 years, but Im better off alone.  I'm no longer depressed, or suicidal. 

Im finally fine with things as it is.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126098
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.01.2011
07:18AM EDT 
vertical line You never stop talking about it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126108
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.01.2011
08:36AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "You never stop talking about it. "

If I ever really do get over it I will let you know.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126117
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.01.2011
10:51AM EDT 
vertical line You can't write, so you can't stop talking. It's your ting as it is.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126126
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nicolelord
Jun.08.2011
07:56AM EDT 
Email nicolelord
vertical line yaaa..my sad ness is now decreasing...I hope it will end soon.

depression
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126350
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.08.2011
03:56PM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "yaaa..my sad ness is now decreasing...I hope it will end soon.

depression
"

I remember as a little boy repeating to myself over and over, *They can make me do anything, but they cant make me care.*

If you cant find happiness within yourself  you may find that not-feeling is the next best thing.  Comfortably numb.

If you dont like what you are thinking and feeling, stop thinking and feeling.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126359
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.09.2011
12:21AM EDT 
vertical line

depression
"

Dont care.  Write is all off.  Just dont care.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126377
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.09.2011
12:27AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

depression
"

Dont care.  Write is all off.  Just dont care.

"

"

No one, and nothing, can hurt you unless you care.  Thats why I say to write it all off, including yourself, and just dont care.  Then even if someone points a shotgun into the middle of your chest and pulls the trigger they cant hurt you. 

Nothing can hurt you, unless you let it.

Still, sometimes you may let it.  But that is your choice.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126379
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.09.2011
08:24AM EDT 
vertical line I care and you can't hurt me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126384
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.10.2011
08:46PM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I care and you can't hurt me."

I have no desire to harm anyone.

Even those who have harmed me.

Of course, that doesnt mean I have to

embrace them either.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126418
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.10.2011
09:40PM EDT 
vertical line You digress.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 126421
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this CALLIGRAPHY SCROLL, SERENITY
by George Caso
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s