history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Oct 24 2014 04:29AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A wandering monk called Vaccha asked the Buddha if the Buddha would still exsist after death. The Buddha replied:
"Vaccha, the idea that I would exist or not exist after death - such ideas lead to dense jungles and arid deserts, to entanglements... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: DARK ENERGY
vertical line Posted on May.01.2007 @ 08:44AM EDT by stephen

Along with matter, life requires energy. Until the late 1990s, scientists assumed the universe would follow one of three courses. It could continue to expand forever at perhaps a slightly decreasing rate. Or, it might reach a point of eternal balance and sit eternally between expansion and collapse. Or, it might stop expanding and begin folding back in on itself, heading toward a cataclysmic event called the Big Crunch. In all of these scenarios, protons, neutrons, and other particles will probably decay slowly into radiation, meaning the universe eventually should contain more radiant energy than matter.

Recently researchers discovered that galaxies are racing apart from one another at ever-increasing speeds, and at some extremely distant time, no star system will be within sight of any other. Scientists infer that a mysterious and so-far-undetected force called dark energy is propelling the acceleration.

It turns out that dark energy presents implications for the amount of radiant energy available to sustain life. Scientists conclude that beginning about 100 billion years from now, radiation will disappear from the universe faster than it can be produced by matter decay, leaving a larger and larger proportion of matter.

The acceleration is the key. Hundreds of billions of years from now, dark energy will push the universe beyond the speed of light, thereby stretching out energy waves to the point of insignificance. All heat, light, and radio waves will effectively stop.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email stephen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from HarryB
May.01.2007
10:44AM EDT 
vertical line Good old scientists. They'll deserve the rest by that point.

Regards,

Harry.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 70820
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from whatzen
May.01.2007
11:49AM EDT 
Email whatzen
vertical line

OM

Next breath

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 70821
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
May.01.2007
12:26PM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

I just figured if some of my students wanted to obsess and be attached to the future that I would give them something really important to worry about. They have about the same chance of changing the universe as controlling the future. MU

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 70823
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.02.2007
11:54AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line hm
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 70840
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN SETTING I
by Packard
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s