history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Oct 25 2014 11:20AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  When a monk came to say good bye to Chao-chou Tsung-shen (778-897), a brilliant Chinese Ch'an master.
Chao-chou asked:
-Where will you go?
The monk answered:
-Any place where I can learn Buddha dharma.
Chao-chou stood... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: GENKAKU: ANSWER YOUR LOVE LETTERS
vertical line Posted on May.25.2007 @ 01:04PM EDT by floating_a
ANSWER YOUR LOVE LETTERS: Footnotes to a Zen Practice by Adam Genkaku Fisher.

A poster on the Buddhist Boards and long standing Zen practitioner (student of Kyudo Nakagawa Roshi, abbot of Ryutaku-ji Monastery in Japan) has recently launched his book.

If I know genkaku, it's a wonderful read.

Check it out.

Gassho.  

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
May.25.2007
02:31PM EDT 
vertical line Apologies if the link does not work, here is the direct URL:
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~41965.aspx

Gassho.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71321
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2007
06:31PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line funny, I read apologies if the ink does not float  :) (close but not whats written)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71326
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2007
08:10PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: " If I know genkaku, it's a wonderful read."

didn't read it?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71332
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2007
12:58PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line I don't know but it sounds wonderful... what a beautiful expression
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71346
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2007
12:59PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line like everything is an expression of a letter of love...just sounds wonderful
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71347
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
May.26.2007
01:35PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "funny, I read apologies if the ink does not float  :) (close but not whats written)"

:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71348
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
May.26.2007
01:36PM EDT 
vertical line Dear Friends

It's also available via shipping on Amazon UK and Amazon

_/\_
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71349
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
May.26.2007
01:40PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: " If I know genkaku, it's a wonderful read."

didn't read it?

"

Dear lehish, you can count on it. You know genkaku, what else needs to be said?   

Gassho.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71350
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
May.26.2007
01:41PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "like everything is an expression of a letter of love...just sounds wonderful"

Your expression not excluded. With kind thanks, Abu.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71351
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.26.2007
01:51PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Is there an Eve in the picture? Several retired nuns want to know. sorry Adam.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71354
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Jul.29.2007
02:38PM EDT 
vertical line

For those interested, here is a book review by Reverend Fa Dao Shakya of the Ozark Zen Centre - I feel it hits the nail pretty well on the head:

Book Review: Answer Your Love Letters: Footnotes To A Zen Practice by Adam Genkaku Fisher 

by Fa Dao Shakya 

A wondrous little book has joined the unofficial canon of “American > Zen.” And like most things wondrous and miraculous, it is a pebble that deserves to splash the pond like a boulder.

"Answer Your Love Letters" is a collection of essays, thoughts and letters by Adam Genkaku Fisher, an American Zen student in the Japanese lineage of Kyudo Nakagawa Roshi. He operates the Black Moon Zendo – a small zazen space which he built in the back yard of his home in Massachusetts. He is also one of the many little-known Dharma  teachers in the United States. A “man of no rank” content to be a Man of no rank, he has supported his own learning efforts, teaching efforts and family via occupation as a journalist at a small newspaper and the various jobs that would do that duty at any given time.

"Answer Your Love Letters" is very much “chop wood, carry water” zen. The essays and stories are taken from life. Unlike intellectualized zen, they are written as humble snapshots from life, often in the first person and with a journalist’s sparcity of words. The lessons in the stories shine through with the clarity of a single kanja brushed by a calligrapher’s hand. They are at once unassuming and ingenious.

Genkaku Fisher’s language and treatment are as fine or coarse as the need of a given piece dictates. His voice is as frank and earthy as a > friend in the pub. Speaking of his own moment of doubt at one point in his practice, he notes “The questions rolled off of my mind’s tongue one after another. They were cranky, they were filled with sadness, and sometimes they laughed with a nonosecond’s worth of clear light. And always the central question remained: “Is this bullshit or not?” 

In an essay on Death, he notes eloquently “It is not a matter of sadness that things come and go. If it were a matter of sadness, the universe would be filled with nothing but a bunch of Sadsacks. But the universe is filled with joy and sorrow, laughter and tears, dancing and smiling, sunshine and rain. Moment after moment, birth and death, death and birth. Birthdeath. Deathbirth. None of it would be possible > without you or me, but me and you are nothing but moment after > moment.”

When Genkaku approaches teachings and sutras, his down-to-earth approach remains. They are presented in a conversational tone rather than intellectualized explication. Like teachers (or students – same thing) discussing the matter on the couch in the living room. No argument about the refinements of Pali or Sanskrit translations, Japanese or Chinese iterations – just “here’s what it says and here’s how it works as I see it.”

In a world of would-be gurus and academic discourse, "Answer Your Love Letters" is a gem. The adventures of one man in samsara. An Everyman’s Guide to the Zen Experience written in Everyman’s language. He practices what he preaches in a couplet called Wisdom:

“Wisdom is what makes people happy. 
   Wise (wo)men are just fins on the car.”

Rev. Fa Dao Shakya is Director of the Zen Buddhist Order of Hsu Yun. He offers one-to-one Dharma instruction through the Ozark Zen Center, http://www.ozarkzen.org/

Review is online at: http://www.hsuyun.org/Dharma/zbohy/Literature/essays/fds/BookReview1.html

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73091
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jul.30.2007
05:43PM EDT 
vertical line Sweet tasting wine
Of the beloved
My love letters
Are cast aside
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73107
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jul.31.2007
02:56PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "Sweet tasting wine
Of the beloved
My love letters
Are cast aside
"

only but for the real ones.......

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73110
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Jul.31.2007
03:41PM EDT 
vertical line she answers my love letters
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73111
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.01.2007
06:14AM EDT 
vertical line eh?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73126
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.01.2007
06:15AM EDT 
vertical line That's ok, me footnote.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73127
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Jun.08.2010
03:47PM EDT 
vertical line Apparently also now out on Kindle

gassho
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 113503
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Tenzo_
Jun.08.2010
03:50PM EDT 
Email Tenzo_
vertical line I have corresponded a little with Genkaku in the past. I love the chapter on the hawk.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 113505
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.08.2010
04:01PM EDT 
vertical line Love Notes & Carnations
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 113506
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this GREEN TARA
by Siddhimuni Sakya
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s