history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 23 2014 11:06AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Suiwo, the disciple of Hakuin, was a good teacher. On a certain day a certain pupil came to him, and Suiwo gave him the problem, "Hear the sound of one hand." The pupil remained three years, but could not pass the test. One night he came... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: THE SPACE BETWEEN THE NOTES
vertical line Posted on May.26.2007 @ 09:38AM EDT by stephen

An interesting thought: I am drawn to the type of music George Winston creates on the piano. To be specific, it is not the high notes, the complexity, nor the loudness/ softness that I find myself drawn to. Rather, it is the space between the notes; his style - or approach - creates beautiful spaces.

When I toss a pebble on still water, the water resonates - a ripple effect eminates from the source of this "disturbance" - an otherwise placid medium is interrupted by a stone's collusion with it, like a hammer upon a piano wire.

But the ripples rapidly retreat from its source. We look at the point where it all started - the center of these growing concentric circles - and the source is gone. The pebble - the cause of it all - is now drowned in a sea in motion. What is left is a void - space - but only for a moment.

Perhaps the space has always been there. Only now we give it special recognition because of all this embelishment. Our eyes followed the pebble until it met the new medium - and now, for a quick moment, there is space where there was a pebble.

Water, pebble, space, water.

We are encouraged to consider the space because we were led there by a source of some disturbance. We would not consider this space until then.

This is music. This is also life. We have not learned to treasure a moment of peace or contentment, of faith, hope and love, until some upsetting experience suddenly brings us face to face with it. Only then we can appreciate the music of life - both the notes and the spaces between them.

I cherish the space I've discovered between the notes. I say that I've discovered the space between the notes; I also acknowledge in saying this that this space has always been there, yet now I give it recognition, as in response to the disturbance that brought me to this space. It is as if the purpose of the disturbance was to bring me to this space.

Consider a cardboard box. A plain, ordinary empty box. Now, close the box and decorate it as if it were a birthday gift for someone special. Nothing is in the box, but you wouldn't know it now by looking at this box, adorned with such care and fair! The adornment insists that there is something special inside the box. You, the one who has decorated this box, know that there is nothing in the box - just space - but now, it is a special space - you have just given it significance by surrounding it with such expressive adornment.

Limited by our five physical senses, we cannot really see a void - space. To us, space is defined by what surrounds it. Otherwise, we'd pass it by, giving no recognition to it.

Consider the wind in the trees. Quaking aspens, shimmering in fall colors! What a sight. The trees draw our attention to the movement of the air that surrounds them. We also feel it on our skin. Yet, if we walk indoors and draw the shade, we would not be aware of the breeze out there.

And, so it is in our lives. We "shimmer" and "quake," and this brings our attention to what's causing this. We become aware of the presence of the Holy Spirit within us - in that space within which we now aknowledge to be a special space. We might think that there is really nothing there - just a void. Yet, this disturbance in the medium of our hearts tell us quite plainly that something is there - that the space within our hearts is a special space, because the Holy Spirit has found His way into our hearts and has decided to abide there.

Without emotion and expression, our hearts would not be made aware of the Holy Spirit. We would not acknowledge Him. We would not even attempt to grasp the significance of His presence in our lives. He would mean nothing to us.

Thus, it is clear that our God desires to abide within our hearts - hearts that are willing to shimmer and quake.

Poor Richard -1997

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email stephen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2007
12:45PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line is there space between the notes or notes within a space? inside the box marked birthday ...was anothe box wrapped up and another box and another...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71342
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.26.2007
01:47PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Cool! : ) I feel that way about working in ICU. : ) When it's quiet, I like it!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71352
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.26.2007
06:02PM EDT 
vertical line You will seek me
And you will find me

And I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh

Oh Lord you have seduced me and I was seduced
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71368
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Davidseon
May.27.2007
04:52AM EDT 
Email Davidseon
vertical line

The note is mind,  The space is mind.

The way is to be attached to neither.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71373
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN BOATS
by Prisma
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s