history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Oct 01 2014 04:18PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day when the Buddha was sitting on grasses in a grove, a little deer
came about very close to him and showed its friendliness. The Buddha first
was> dearly to the little deer a little bit, then he grasped a little stick next to
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WORLD FACES GREATER CRISIS THAN WWI AND WWII COMBINED! (OT)
vertical line Posted on Jun.03.2007 @ 11:42AM EDT by vfrvfr

(...) writes:

World Faces Greater Crisis Than WWI and WWII Combined!

So says Sir Charles Branson, founder of Virgin Enterprises. The mega-entreprenuer became concerned when fuel costs for Virgin airlines topped $1 billion dollars a year. His first plan was to build his own refinery, but when he studied the issue, he discovered that this was a band-aid on a head wound -- and not just for Virgin, but for the world.

You see, only 1 in 70 Chinese owns a car ... but they all want one. They aspire to live like Americans, and they're fast building the wealth to do just that. America is the top producer of greenhouse gasses, and plain raw air pollution, mostly from our vehicles. We have 300 million people here. China has 1.6 billion.

Right now, we're telling the rest of the world that we're not going to compromise our "lifestyle" for the sake of anything.
So what, then, will we be able to ask of China when the roles are reversed?

Solution? Branson is rolling $3 billion of his own money into clean fuel R & D, ranging from wind, wave and solar power to ethanol and nuclear. But, he says, we desperately need leadership from Western governments, particularly America.

The trick is going to be to offer China -- and India -- an alternative to fossil fuel-based vehicles. The kicker is that the country that is able to develope them first, and best, is going to make a killing in the market.

And maybe even save ourselves in the process. You think LA and Houston and New Jersey are smoggy today?

Wait till that cloud rolls across the Pacific at the end of China's workday a decade from now.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

V writes:

I think that the earth is overpopulated and things can only get worse. (unless we change our course somehow) The more people born, the more heat is produced from all their cravings and the warmer and more polluted the earth gets and the more energy they all use.

I was told to expect $10 a gallon gas in the future.

When I first took notice of gas prices in the early 70's gas was .23 cents a gallon.

No one would have thought that gas would take a 1360% rise in price in 3 1/2 decades.

But in fairness to gas prices, they have not been as inflationary as California real estate, which on average has gone up about 3000% in that same time.

A small 2 bedroom run own house that sold for $20,000 in a poor area of town in the late sixties sells for $600,000 now. (again...a dumpy area to boot!)

If gas prices maintain this trend it would put it at $42 a gallon in the upcoming decades.

And what about everything that is delivered by truck, air or otherwise pegged to gas prices? Just in the last couple of years I can see prices of common products go up 20% to 30%. (Yet the government claim inflation is next to nil...they must use the same accountants that Enron used!)

I hope we come up with alternative and practical energy sources soon.

Maybe the US will be making a tradeoff with China?

We all will be riding bicycles someday?

(BTW...You left out India which is even worse than China as a future fossil fuel glutton.)

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email vfrvfr
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.03.2007
02:56PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line This is living with death daily for me. Living in the moment, another opportunity for awakening to the weakest and strengths in myself. And I just quiet down, and not preach much. It is written in the desires  of the greed based economy, we believe the lie, all the way to death. We begin to realize that we are more connected, with each moment precious.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71589
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zbishak
Jun.03.2007
06:18PM EDT 
Email zbishak
vertical line

Hello vfrvfr,

relax, 
a roof full of solar panels,
electrodes into water,
oxygen released onto the air,
hydrogen into gas bottles,
gas fuel generator powering house, or factory,
plug excess gas for motor vehicle.

its quite simple and doable..........
hasn't been done yet as would cause a lot of grief for the mining  industry, and would kill the oil industry..... and we cant have those poor dears go broke :-)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71590
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Davidseon
Jun.03.2007
07:55PM EDT 
Email Davidseon
vertical line Sir Richard Branson, has started by turning Virgin Blue in Oz into a carbon sharing company.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71591
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2007
06:16AM EDT 
vertical line Excess gasssssssst....parrrrp! Eureka, mama mia, I now understand...barf! It must have been something to do with the lack of oxygen supply to the little grey cells. Thank you, thank you carbon sharers all.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71592
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2007
06:28AM EDT 
vertical line One minute, just a minute more. I is wanting a reply separator. (...) wipes, credit card swipes, puter name in lights, wifi forkfix, keyboard shortshrifts, ego gymnastics, shiny bombastics.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71594
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2007
08:50AM EDT 
vertical line Hey, I get it!! v wasn't around in the early 70s, neither was virgin blue. They called it sewage then, on account of the water base - now it's oil and water based. So, turn virgin blue, petition for your very own landfill site, personal reservoir and oil refinery, then arm the Branson fleet with missiles and bomb China and India into the stone-age - don't wait a decade to end China's workday, Nike it, Now!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71595
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2007
08:58AM EDT 
vertical line Disclaimer: satire for literalists. I receive no money for these posts.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71596
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.04.2007
10:10AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line duuuuhhhhhh....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71597
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.04.2007
10:32AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line wuuuuuuuuhhhhhh...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71600
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2007
02:40PM EDT 
vertical line You see, only 1 in 70 Chinese flosses daily. But every single last one of 'em chain smokes cigarettes like there's no tomorrow. wheezer do about that - global smoking? eh?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71611
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.05.2007
07:17AM EDT 
vertical line What a western trade off with China - it's US / UK / Europe a go-go. These wonderful, so-called, western democracies are alreading 'just doing it' er, them. Don't worry, even Apple computers are put together in China, along with sportswear, trainers, office furniture, and other stuff you don't need - you name it and the west is making it...in China. All the call-centres are in India when they're not in China too. So, you've got the rural Chinese poor sending kids into the cities for a slice of the dream - making those luxury white goods for those luxury western kids - gazing at the billboards and thinking, 'that could be me', while drawing on a cool American cigarette bought at a discount price.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71646
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.05.2007
10:38AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I'm gonna buy a banjo.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71654
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.05.2007
02:08PM EDT 
vertical line Play the new improved: 'Pocket Forum-Zenjo' - It adapts to you!)

Kit contains:

Mezen
Plugin Adepter
AppZen
Adept
Zappen
Zenjo

No guarantee to interfere with and / or affect any body else's statutory rights.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71678
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from HarryB
Jun.05.2007
02:29PM EDT 
vertical line

If the crap on this board ever runs off into the water table you can forget about your WWs and air quality.

THINK OF THE FISH!

Regards,

Harry.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71687
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.05.2007
02:32PM EDT 
vertical line Adapter adepter, he knows all the chords.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71689
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from HarryB
Jun.05.2007
03:47PM EDT 
vertical line

Yes, WoodencrossZen, I think a banjo would suit you, and everybody else, living as you do in remote seclusion... the animals will have the sense to just run away.

Regards,

Harry.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71692
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.05.2007
03:54PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line shagahotttchi shaga-hat-chi shakee-hat-chee
shag at she
shaggy shag shh...

carpet, thick shaggy

quackahatshe?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71694
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from HarryB
Jun.05.2007
04:20PM EDT 
vertical line

Shag-a-hatchet? Is that what you meant to do?

Mean chopper, Man.

Regards,

H.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71695
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.05.2007
09:20PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Wait! Did I even get to answer the question yet? No... I'm no flute player. But I do like the sound of the Shakuhachi. I think I spelled it right this time, honorable one. I'm sorry.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71700
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.06.2007
05:43AM EDT 
vertical line Adapt to adept or die, die, die and shit. No sorry and die die die no shit. Singalong Pocket Forum Zenjo. yeehaw!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71707
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.06.2007
05:45AM EDT 
vertical line In counterpoint, to counter that counter shit, shit.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71708
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this CALLIGRAPHY SCROLL, TRANQUILITY
by George Caso
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s