history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 30 2014 09:51AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Subhuti was Buddha's disciple. He was able to understand the potency of emptiness, that nothing exists except in its relationship of subjectivity and objectivity. One day, in a mood of sublime emptiness, Subhuti was resting underneath a tree... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ON KILLING
vertical line Posted on Jun.12.2007 @ 04:27PM EDT by Woodsman
It really is not good to end any life, or to deny one's part in the killing of God.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email Woodsman
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.12.2007
04:46PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line this morning reading Katagiri Roshi, he spoke of killing, but I did not understand it so well
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71849
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.12.2007
05:28PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Killing, is seeing no value, in any other being, so that equality cannot exist. One exist as an opposite force, a negative imbalance, in which questions never are allowed to rise up, for they are killed, denied, without any questions as to why. We come to limit the possible, what is possible, in every moment to open to acceptance. Every breath has life, a conscious drive, a force of no opposites, as one cannot oppose the wind, or the truth, any other.

So, in life, who we are, in relationship to each other, requires balance, and some doing without. One may use silence, or ritual, to die to what kills equality. Being passive, opens us up, to the realization, the connection to life, living through all, giving to all life back it's balance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71851
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.12.2007
06:07PM EDT 
vertical line There was and is a man who taught the art of making fire. And still he gets killed for it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71856
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.12.2007
06:20PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The fire, has a source, which is cherished, if not obstructed by greed or fear. Can be seen at all times, in all places. The fire is a giving tree.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71858
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.12.2007
06:24PM EDT 
vertical line If you and me knew me and you better - two things: you and me would see that I am is on fire and you would also see that I am very often wrong.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71859
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.12.2007
08:12PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line what is it to conceptualize?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71864
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jun.12.2007
09:09PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line you people make no sense.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71870
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from koanhead
Jun.13.2007
08:13AM EDT 
vertical line Neither does zen
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71872
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from HarryB
Jun.13.2007
08:20AM EDT 
vertical line Zen doesn't make no sense, because it makes nonsense for a reason.

Regards,

Harry.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71873
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.13.2007
09:53AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line quiet
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71875
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Jun.13.2007
10:42AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Killing, is seeing no value, in any other being, so that equality cannot exist. One exist as an opposite force, a negative imbalance, in which questions never are allowed to rise up, for they are killed, denied, without any questions as to why. We come to limit the possible, what is possible, in every moment to open to acceptance. Every breath has life, a conscious drive, a force of no opposites, as one cannot oppose the wind, or the truth, any other.

So, in life, who we are, in relationship to each other, requires balance, and some doing without. One may use silence, or ritual, to die to what kills equality. Being passive, opens us up, to the realization, the connection to life, living through all, giving to all life back it's balance.
"

could you say it in one line, please? and a short one

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71877
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.13.2007
10:53AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Okay, I'm asleep.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71882
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.13.2007
10:58AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line how do you know?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71884
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Jun.13.2007
11:02AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Okay, I'm asleep. "

are you dreaming of that killing stuff then?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71885
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.13.2007
11:04AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line here comes the pinch
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71887
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Jun.13.2007
11:22AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line Some time, some place I decided to listen. It could be enough to say that the Buddha suggested that we not kill. Has to killing God I did not even know the dude. I might have killed the sheriff but I did not shot the deputy. MU
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71888
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.13.2007
01:46PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Okay, I'm asleep. "

are you dreaming of that killing stuff then?

"

If I remembered my dream, I would say I was out in the garden, killing weeds, for starters.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71891
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.13.2007
01:49PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "Some time, some place I decided to listen. It could be enough to say that the Buddha suggested that we not kill. Has to killing God I did not even know the dude. I might have killed the sheriff but I did not shot the deputy. MU"

Die to the flesh, alive in the spirit. Happy fast!
OM (left out the G) the sky is talking. It, is, so clear.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71892
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.13.2007
02:00PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I think my pride is swelling. Ahhhh....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71898
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.13.2007
02:46PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Some time, some place I decided to listen. It could be enough to say that the Buddha suggested that we not kill. Has to killing God I did not even know the dude. I might have killed the sheriff but I did not shot the deputy. MU"

When you do listen, agreement and/or disagreement will cease to be an issue for you. pop pop, bang bang.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71899
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.14.2007
12:37PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I can't...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71923
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.14.2007
12:43PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line One more milligram of Morphine Sulfate and it's immortal guiltless bliss... I'm not pushin' it... oh no...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71924
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.15.2007
08:39AM EDT 
vertical line When Shakyamuni Buddha says, "Don't kill." He isn't 'suggesting' that you don't kill, or telling you not to kill, (acting as if that is the case is to be looking outside oneself for answers, justifications, validations, to be looking outward for happiness). Neither is he commanding or ordering you not to kill. He isn't telling you to conform to his ideas, to a set of beliefs, or rules, in a moralistic way. He is showing you Shakyamuni's Buddha nature - our Buddha nature. The precepts (teaching) are Buddha's mind. In accepting and living them, there is no illusion of separation from others.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71931
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.15.2007
08:50AM EDT 
vertical line That's what Jesus and me says, anyway. ok?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71936
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.15.2007
08:53AM EDT 
vertical line Should that be Jesus and I? Or me and Jesus? hmmm....which is the more grammatically correct of the three? Am I beeeee ing rude?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71937
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.15.2007
11:28AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line First insect saved... today, a tiger swallow-tail butterfly, trapped in the shed. I heard the flutter on the window from outside, came in to see what it was. Cupped him up in my hands and opened the door. Beautifully shaped, perfection, and he just sat on my had, held out to the open sky, for like 2 minutes. Then flew away, free, over the top of the house.

And I let the raccoon go too. Now I have to work on the fence around the garden, again, and fix the hole in the garage soffit.

But, I still had eggs and sausage for breakfast.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71947
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.15.2007
01:13PM EDT 
vertical line Jesus got it distilled down to just the one with another.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71949
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.15.2007
06:04PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line A horse fly! Right there next to the garage door, on the floor! Freedom!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71955
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Jun.17.2007
11:44PM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Quote: "A horse fly! Right there next to the garage door, on the floor! Freedom! "
.........yeah freedom .................until he smelled your underware . do your laundry
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71989
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.18.2007
08:25AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: " .........yeah freedom .................until he smelled your underware "

lol

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71994
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
01:21PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line freedom, once he smelled it. Shit is reincarnation to a fly.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 71998
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
01:37PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line What is that smell?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72003
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
01:39PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line , she thought. Though, the question wasn't it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72004
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.18.2007
02:28PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "freedom, once he smelled it. Shit is reincarnation to a fly. "

lol

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72007
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.18.2007
02:30PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: ",Though, the question wasn't it. "

yp

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72008
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
04:43PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Oh no, I is right, like a thought.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72009
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.18.2007
06:06PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line thought that from "yp"?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72010
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
08:40PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "thought that from "yp"?"

np
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.18.2007
08:55PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line hehehe
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72015
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
09:41PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line She laughs when I leave something out.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72019
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.18.2007
10:24PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line hehe
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72023
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
10:46PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Less when I don't know it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72028
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.18.2007
11:55PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line see?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72029
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.20.2007
09:53AM EDT 
vertical line Sausage shapes. But without hair. And with fronds, frondly.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72056
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.20.2007
10:46AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

I myself do not know if killing is right or wrong (is there a right or wrong and who’s right or wrong am I talking about?) Do I actually exist as me to be thinking about as me killing? Anyway…..For this discussion I have thought long and am becoming aware of a particular hypocrisy, most people I have asked have said no they would not kill, and these same most after further questions admitted yes they would kill, some to defend or revenge family members some to defend or revenge their country some for religion. So it would seem if people answer honestly they would make the decision to kill the only difference would appear to be the motive the reason. This does not mean they would actually carry out the believed murder, however they believe in theory they would. So now if I was to cut away the stuff to get to the core it would seem belief is the key and how strongly and for what.

Ok, that said there are books out there which delve into the psychiatry of killing and the general consensus is that most people would be pushed to the point where they might kill in the heat of the moment for theirs or others self preservation, however it is later when things have calmed down that they might regret or find that decision hard to live with (talk to a war veteran) it is also suggested that the people best able to cope with killing (and death) are those with a strong conviction, irrespective of where that conviction comes from, they believe it was the right or only thing to do in the circumstances.

Therefore if killing or the decision to kill is only that, a decision. Whose decision is right? And if it is only a decision based upon particular thoughts or beliefs which are generally in tern created from someone’s place of birth, education, and access to systems of religion etc. If one reason is valid why is not another what is the difference? Which of us do not kill everyday for food (vegetable or animal) the very space we take up on Earth denies it to something else. I guess now we are at another argument: If as Buddha says there is no birth or dying no beginning or end how can we kill anything? Now suffering, this would seem possible therefore the killing of something with suffering causes ourselves to suffer or by killing we have caused another to suffer, does this mean as long as it is quick and painless it is all right? Or does the belief that I may have caused suffering cause me to suffer, and therefore the greatest reason not to kill. Therefore empathy towards an illusion is the greatest reason not to inflict suffering to another illusion?? And whose empathy, whose particular belief set is the standard of empathy? On on on on on on are there any real answers to these sorts of questions?

As to the original post on killing God, whose God yours or mine? I am not sure i know God or what he might or might not want. There are many people out there killing many who say they are doing Gods work do i know better? And finally does not the christian God have a right hand mate who weilds a flaming sword and fights Gods battles at request of God?

What would i know.....

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.20.2007
08:07PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I think words killed my interest in them. Buddha never said anything about that... how could he? Oh yeah, this is Zen now, not  Zen then.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72076
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.21.2007
01:37PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

Zen then Zen now is there a difference? If so what? In particular relation to the post. I see the point you make about Budha never saying anything (at least I think I do, as far as I am able) and I have often wondered about the budha raft we use to cross the metaphorical river (discarded at the edge, although there is no edge) and I only use it as common ground for discussion. The reference I use comes from the diamond sutra. This is not in any way a challenge (or intended as one) mearly a request for more information.

Anyway how are the rabbit(s), which you once mentioned, a couple of years ago woods? I do not remember the details however I do remember being touched.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72104
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.21.2007
01:48PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

or were they chipmonks ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72106
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
01:53PM EDT 
vertical line Nope, monkeys. With the occasional squirrel. As lunch, for the monkeys.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72108
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.21.2007
02:13PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "

Zen then Zen now is there a difference? If so what? In particular relation to the post. I see the point you make about Budha never saying anything (at least I think I do, as far as I am able) and I have often wondered about the budha raft we use to cross the metaphorical river (discarded at the edge, although there is no edge) and I only use it as common ground for discussion. The reference I use comes from the diamond sutra. This is not in any way a challenge (or intended as one) mearly a request for more information.

Anyway how are the rabbit(s), which you once mentioned, a couple of years ago woods? I do not remember the details however I do remember being touched.

"

There are 9 currently... no, wait an minute... 11 (forgot the two bucks) I try and give them away, as pets. Just doubled the hutch size recently. And the garden has been doubled in size too.  I'm not sure which followed which, or which was first, doesn't matter. I've got to make a free rabbit sign for the road, right next free wood sign, aaahhh, maybe. I'm no saint yet.

Raccoons are gone, improved the fencing, and stopped feeding the birds.

Second mama robin is building a nest on top of the utility box, the chicks inside the nest above the basketball hoop somehow perished.

Snakes are in the strawberry  patch.

Bluebird came back to her house behind the garden, pushed out the swallow.

And I just got back from walking the dogs and got bitten by a deer fly behind my left ear. How do I know it was a deer fly? You don't want to know.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.21.2007
02:17PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

Thanks mate, now that is beautiul smilingly, griningly beautiful and something which makes perfect sense.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72113
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
03:07PM EDT 
vertical line Maybe, but maybe not to the rabbits.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72120
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.21.2007
03:55PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line They don't seem to have the same problem with deer flies.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72123
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.21.2007
04:43PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line But both seem to require me to feed them.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72125
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MONK IN SHAOLIN
by Isabel Munoz
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s