history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Oct 31 2014 01:15PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Gudo was the emperor's teacher of his time. Nevertheless, he used to travel alone as a wandering mendicant. Once when he was on his way to Edo, the cultural and political center of the shogunate, he approached a little village named Takenaka.... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ENTITLEMENTS:
vertical line Posted on Jun.21.2007 @ 10:29AM EDT by stephen

One of the stumbling blocks to ending personal suffering is the western idea of entitlements. All through our culture, politics and lifestyle the idea of rights and individual freedoms are heralded. We have the right to pursue happiness, wealth, fame and fortune. This seems that we are taught to believe that happiness is something to be caught, held captive and digested. It sets up the feeling that we are incomplete and something outside our being is needed to stop suffering. Just because you are offered tea does not mean you must drink, just because you have a right to pursue does not mean you must chase and just because you are told; you need not believe. MU

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email stephen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
10:31AM EDT 
vertical line This stalker stalks my posts.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72094
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
10:34AM EDT 
vertical line And feeds.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72095
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
11:16AM EDT 
vertical line And then fakes it but not in the open. And there's more - the so-called idea of entitlement isn't a western one nor is it restricted to western or eastern culture, north and south, because oh yes, monkeys do it, even the shy ones.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72096
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Jun.21.2007
11:34AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

Quote: "And then fakes it but not in the open. And there's more - the so-called idea of entitlement isn't a western one nor is it restricted to western or eastern culture, north and south, because oh yes, monkeys do it, even the shy ones. "

The Buddha would say that we should be different than the monkeys in that we have been given this precious human life. MU

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72097
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
11:58AM EDT 
vertical line I would say: The Buddha would say no such thing. And thank God. But the monkey would say: Don't blame us precious monkeys, we're precious we are. We're monkeys.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72098
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Jun.21.2007
12:12PM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

Quote: "I would say: The Buddha would say no such thing. And thank God. But the monkey would say: Don't blame us precious monkeys, we're precious we are. We're monkeys. "

Maybe the Buddha was wrong. Maybe some in human form are monkeys. MU 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72099
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.21.2007
12:29PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

Happiness seems to me a decision and simply that, and we do appear to set ourselves up to believe we are incomplete and need something ‘outside our being’ to stop suffering. And I guess what is important is the question ‘is there anything outside our being?’ where can I go that I am not already at, in, with? Am!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72100
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.21.2007
12:37PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

This forum is handy for challenging the mind, the act of writing to a person for all intents and purposes does not exist (it is a computer) via this method thought paths may be followed to the origin. Something not always done with other media. These just seem to grow and sprout by themselves they just arrive spontaneously when asked; maybe I do not ask enough. And again if the answer was not realised the question might not be asked. If i follow everything to the origin i really know bugger all. Underneath all the blankets of knowledge i am naked and just am.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72101
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
01:47PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "I would say: The Buddha would say no such thing. And thank God. But the monkey would say: Don't blame us precious monkeys, we're precious we are. We're monkeys. "

Maybe the Buddha was wrong. Maybe some in human form are monkeys. MU 

"

Hey, first it's The Buddha would say and now it's maybe The Buddha was wrong. Maybe there are no maybes. Maybe it's just you.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72105
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
02:06PM EDT 
vertical line Listen to the toon, he knows y'know, what he's talking about:

MU N KEE
SEE
MU N KEE
DOODEE

MU N KEE
SEE
MU N KEE
DOODEE

(self-repeating refrain)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72109
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jun.21.2007
02:08PM EDT 
vertical line Another ungrateful American... ho hum
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72110
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.21.2007
02:18PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I'm a nurse, I can help! I can start an IV of self-denial... if I have an order.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72114
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.21.2007
02:21PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line ... but first 12.2 miles on the stationary bike. Don't go anywhere! I don't.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72115
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.21.2007
02:37PM EDT 
vertical line MU N KEE
DOODEE
DANDY?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72119
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.21.2007
03:08PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: " Don't blame us precious monkeys "

:D

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72121
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA INCENSE HOLDER
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s