history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 16 2014 07:25AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Sep.06.2009 @ 09:29AM EDT by chontri
In the teachings it says that:
"All compounded things are like dreams,
illusions, bubbles, and shadows;
they are like dew and like lightning,
and should be seen in... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: UNITY
vertical line Posted on Jun.23.2007 @ 05:39PM EDT by Woodsman
I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing you discuss with someone, to keep it superficial, and not an insult, if someone has never experienced it. It's not to brag about, or show off, there's so much of that... so much.

And I am looking for some other thing, some other way to live and die, because most of it, what stirs the waters, is strife, anger, selfish ignorance... and we don't want to admit it, to see our lives, as only that. We value, the surface way of living, until, we're sick of it, literally.

And once we get sick, a certain dependence comes out, and we may come to look at everything, primarily what makes us sick, with compassion, if, as we stop picking out the flaws, imperfections... words fall away.  I don't do it, but am a witness.

Something happens, a unity thing(s), from out of thin air, free of time, free of cause. But still, there is an effect, on me, but why, only me? It feels this way.

I ask, once in awhile, trying to put words to it, where, they cannot go I assume.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email Woodsman
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.24.2007
08:47AM EDT 
vertical line There aren't any words. There aren't any categories, concepts, prejudices. There is not only the lonely when the crowds disperse. There's solitude and aloneness, oneness, union.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72186
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.24.2007
10:13AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line mmm... ok, I like the crowd dispersing.

But the unity, which silence produces, the unification between thought and form, makes me question the purpose.

What is the purpose of unity consciousness? To relieve suffering? Then why does the crowd disperse? You'd think they'd wanna hang around and get some, or get rid of some.

Probably why I work with the sick and dying. Unity is, about oneness, one on oneness... receptiveness.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72188
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.24.2007
11:51AM EDT 
vertical line I can only love when I am alone. To be alone, is to walk away from every formula and ego-driven purpose, to be unaffected by others' approval, appreciation and attention. But if I believe that to be alone means I am separate, I confuse my love with a dependence upon how I am treated by the object of my love. If I get a real taste for this dependence, I come to dread its loss. When it happens that I am then treated with disdain, or disapproval or I am ignored, I experience rejection and loneliness and feel unloved. So the crowds have to disperse and I pass through silence before I can know the difference between loneliness and being alone. Then I can truly love.

Unity of consciousness, enlightenment, samadhi, union with God, whatever we want to call it, is the way it really is. All our labels, categories and prejudices obscure it, and only prevent us from realising it, don't they?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72189
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.24.2007
02:33PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Well yeah, they have to control something, but with the intent of exploitation, and that is never seen or admitted to. It would be a huge baby step of humility to admit the dissolution of matter into love.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72190
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Davidseon
Jun.25.2007
05:36AM EDT 
Email Davidseon
vertical line

Maybe Unity is just another way of describing conditions.  When this arises, that occurs.  Looking at where these conditions arise one has to realise emptiness( sunyatta). This is a major core of Buddhist teachings. When one realises true emptiness, a certain freedom ensures. A freedom of realising, that compassion and non grasping (craving) can bring happiness, where sadness and a feeling of loss once resided. Why do the masses not realise this?  Because of ignorance.   As we age and learn, our lives become a habbit.  How many times have we heard people say, " I'm so set in my ways I can never change".  If the people have a productive life and not prone to sadness, this may be acceptable.  But how many people have miserable lives and still say " I wish things would change to make my life better", being totally ingnorant in that things won't change, unless they make the change themselves.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72196
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Jun.25.2007
09:19AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

Dear Woodnurse:

The Buddha asked a number of questions. One of the least talked about is if all is suffering why do we have bouts of happiness? This may seem back ass wards but it is important.

We are born with a Buddha nature. We are born in unity with all Sentience beings.

What happens? Life, emotions, monkey mind, etc. We lose our way. As we return we reflect on that which was always known to us. It appears to be a brave new world yet is not. What you feel and know about this unity is your real self. Rejoice that you have found yourself. MU  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72198
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.25.2007
01:28PM EDT 
vertical line It is possibile for two or more to be united without there being the realisation of union. I am the masses. I am the crowds. I am you. Love is not dependent upon how someone else may or may not receive it. Imitation love is driven by emotional dependence, an attachment to a desire for acceptance, appreciation, approval - an unconscious groping for prestige. It is only in awareness that one can be transformed and without effort. To drop the idea that happiness is dependent upon love being reciprocated is to realise the difference between aloneness and loneliness. At that moment one becomes aware that one is praying, meditating, the prayer, meditation ceases. In aloneness, no one is there and it's ok. If I stay there, the desert blooms into Love.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72200
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.26.2007
01:47PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line possible? yes
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72214
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.26.2007
04:10PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line ah, no, not for me anyway. i'm just too sensitive, by american standards
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72224
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.26.2007
09:02PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line but, there are no standards, never mind...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 72239
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this FOREST MONKS
by Nik Wheeler
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s