history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Nov 24 2014 09:58AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a girl in geisha house hailed the Japanese Zen master Mokudo by name.
He went inside and discovered that the girl was a childhood acquaintance.
The crops had failed one year in their village, and she had become a courtesan... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: OSCAR
vertical line Posted on Jul.26.2007 @ 02:38PM EDT by Pendragon

The cat that can predict death

Last updated at 09:02am on 26th July 2007

Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours.

His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

Oscar was raised in the nursing home

"Many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one," said Dosa, a geriatrician and assistant professor of medicine at Brown University.

The 2-year-old feline was adopted as a kitten and grew up in a dementia unit at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre. The facility treats people with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease and other illnesses.

After about six months, the staff noticed Oscar would make his own rounds, just like the doctors and nurses. He would sniff and observe patients, then sit beside people who would end up dying in a few hours.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email Pendragon
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jul.27.2007
01:01PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73062
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Jul.30.2007
03:33PM EDT 
vertical line In one  hospital it was the cleaning lady. No one knew why every Thursday in that room a patient died unexpectedly. She unplugged the life support equipment and plugged in her floor polisher.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73098
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenbuddha
Jul.30.2007
04:50PM EDT 
Email zenbuddha
vertical line Maybe the cat is death itself
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73100
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jul.30.2007
05:02PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: " She unplugged the life support equipment and plugged in her floor polisher. "

oh

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73103
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Doreen
Aug.01.2007
12:13PM EDT 
Email Doreen
vertical line

most animals have more olfactory receptors then humans, and thus can smell things humans can't.  Oscar probably could smell the impending death and did the compassionate thing.

Purring is a form of meditation too.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73136
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.01.2007
05:58PM EDT 
vertical line Yeah but the cat did nothing. Don't you see that the cat did nothing? But the ridiculous humans interpreted some cat behaviour and projected a view of understanding on to the cat that did nothing. Scientists now want to study the humans, who think 'the cat that did nothing' is spookily awesome, or deadly, or death, and/or compassionate, or just plain hungry, but first they require funding.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73147
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.01.2007
08:01PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Cats need CPR classes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73150
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Doreen
Aug.01.2007
08:11PM EDT 
Email Doreen
vertical line

Quote: "Yeah but the cat did nothing. Don't you see that the cat did nothing? But the ridiculous humans interpreted some cat behaviour and projected a view of understanding on to the cat that did nothing. Scientists now want to study the humans, who think 'the cat that did nothing' is spookily awesome, or deadly, or death, and/or compassionate, or just plain hungry, but first they require funding. "

Did you miss this from the story?

"He would sniff and observe patients,then sit beside people who would end up dying in a few hours."

Oscar was present with the dying.  That is more then most people can do.

That is all.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73152
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.01.2007
10:28PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I wonder if there are any psychic mice? No I don't! Nope!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73153
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.02.2007
07:00AM EDT 
vertical line Ok, I was never introduced to Oscar, I don't know the cat, I never heard him purr, you know. But what they don't tell you is that Oscar was and is present with the living. They didn't tell you about all the people he sniffs, licks, observes, and sits beside who enjoy his company tickle and stroke him while he purrs and live to tell the tale. The living appear to outnumber the dead and dying in that regard. No really, it's the living, they were the ones responsible...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73157
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA SET : STATUE & FIGURINE COLLECTION
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s