history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Nov 24 2014 04:13AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.13.2009 @ 07:45PM EDT by chontri
The way toward liberation is to train yourself to live in the present
without wanting to become anything. Give up becoming this or that,
live without cravings, and experience... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHAT LIFE IS ALL ABOUT
vertical line Posted on Aug.14.2007 @ 01:30PM EDT by kelvintan

What Life is All About 

We are all embarking on a journey that ends in death. In this process, some spoke of journey beyond mind and body through religion. Many look for peace and happiness and yet others for vices and clings on to delusion. To me all things are mind created. This physical creation is caused by ignorance, our craving and desire for existence forming a deep impression in our consciousness. It prevents and obscures our mind from and leads us to believe and perceive the things of the world as permanent and is capable to satisfy our needs.

Everything in life is impermanent in nature, short-lived and superficial but we all form all sought of attachment to it. Life becomes unsatisfactory; we stress ourselves, get frustrated and some ends life when it becomes unbearable. All causes and effects either increase or reduces our virtues or defilements. We are all so trapped in our beliefs and the way we perceive life.

Each of us has the opportunity break free from this limitation that we have imposed on ourselves. We need to practice meditation in order to gain realization of what life is all about. There is a higher self that we need to realize. We will become masters of our mind that can control our senses that exhibits through our bodily actions.

There is going to be less trapping as we progress in our journey to our final destination of life. We feel in control, a lot happier, more satisfied with living and our spiritual life gain better insight. We become more resolve in our spiritual quest with firmer conviction to attain the Absolute Truth. Heaven or Nirvana itself is best described as the uncreated.

We will not be deceived or distorted in our way of life when troubles set upon us. We will deal with them with wisdom and soon enough recover from set back and maintain a balanced mental state of mind. Sooner or later life becomes more carefree and less controlled by our desires and cravings.  We become more peaceful and enjoy the bliss that can be experienced through meditation.

All forms of life fear death. Many come and go. So are my parents, relatives and friends. No one came back to tell me where they go, or what life is out there. What we hear are from religious teachings, spiritual masters and writings. Who to verify them? All I know is that Mother Nature controls every form of life. Death is the ultimate owner.

Then there is the divine power, the word God which is beyond but also within every form of life. God is within us; it is our own essence and is our reality. But who created God or the Creator? In one of the scripture it was stated that “He who have eyes can see the sickening sights, why didn’t The All Mighty set his creatures right?

Let us learn how to die gracefully. Free ourselves from identification of “I”, this non-self entity. Free from obsessions, suffering and attachments. Let us be liberated from the fleeting illusions of life which lures us on and leave us empty.  Create a positive creative energy that sees us through this journey of life.

With Metta

Kelvin Tan

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email kelvintan
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.14.2007
05:21PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line How nicely sugar-coated it all is. War, fuels the unnatural death-denying sadist. And evil is covered in a colorful flag, making sadness and the other person's pain, nonexistent. It is a vengeful God we disown, on Sundays, we turn a cheek the other way. And make our way back to the plate, as a sign of everlasting deceit, caused by nature, which is being defeated, through consumption.. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73477
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Aug.14.2007
06:20PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line First it's given love to your self. And all things in life. To be free of suffering. To give to others. And ask for nothing in return. To have compassion in your heart. to give kindness. Kill the ego. Be a sprit among srirts.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Aug.14.2007
06:21PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line powdered sugar donuts
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73484
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.14.2007
06:30PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Sugary-sweet words.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73487
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Aug.14.2007
07:01PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line Hay good ones. How are the two of you. thanks for your kindness.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73488
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.15.2007
02:07PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line She walks through me, in the smell of lilac .
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73496
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Aug.15.2007
04:13PM EDT 
vertical line Kelvintan: concepts, concepts, concepts - thought-medicine against thought sickness.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73513
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Aug.16.2007
04:51PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line But love will kill sickness. And you will learn in the out come.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73559
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Aug.17.2007
11:58AM EDT 
vertical line yes, love is the right medicine, not the concepts
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73591
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bezoomy
Aug.17.2007
12:02PM EDT 
Email Bezoomy
vertical line

Who do you love?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73593
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Aug.17.2007
01:11PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

O faith in oneself is the best medicine.

The past and future are just concept

The present is awareness of the moment.

With Metta

Kelvin Tan

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73594
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bezoomy
Aug.17.2007
02:22PM EDT 
Email Bezoomy
vertical line That's a good concept.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73596
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Aug.17.2007
04:44PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line My LOVE show you the way.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73597
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Jan.09.2012
01:11PM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line We say that life is all about this and that...

But do we know our everyday life? From 6am to midnight.
Can we talk abouts facts of out daily living? Not concepts.

My concept about life is to get enlightenment and then help others - but it is a concept.
The fact is that I have had flu for the past 2 weeks and I envy those who are well.

What is your concept of life? Or rather what is your factual life?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134072
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jan.09.2012
03:27PM EDT 
vertical line I'm drinking coffee. And I have a gassy belly because of the broccoli I ate last night.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134084
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.09.2012
08:08PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i tend to agree with the Deli Lama, in that life is about being happy and helpfull, and the two go together
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134093
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from dfranchesc
Jan.10.2012
04:19AM EDT 
Email dfranchesc
vertical line Life is all about knowing what your purpose is.  And that is how life goes for most people.  But that is not something that is of standard and usually, people bank knowing what their purpose is so that they would know how to live it.  But quite frankly, I think life is all about living it the best way you could. After all, you only have one to live for and you should make the most out of it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jan.10.2012
03:50PM EDT 
vertical line Your life is whatever you think it is.

The air is cold, so I put on a sweater and turned the heater on.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134137
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jan.11.2012
05:58AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "i tend to agree with the Deli Lama, in that life is about being happy and helpfull, and the two go together "

I would circle 5, *strongly agree*.

Happiness is the only noble goal, for ourselves and others.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134211
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Jan.11.2012
06:58AM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line it seems many people liking to be a Sisyphus.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134212
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from en-Joy
Jan.11.2012
07:19AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "it seems many people liking to be a Sisyphus."

Different thing to like, one could imagine.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134214
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.11.2012
07:32AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line it seems many people liking to be a Sisyphus

i have no idea what this is?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134215
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from en-Joy
Jan.11.2012
07:53AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "
it seems many people liking to be a Sisyphus

"
Could this help Justin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134217
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
01:54AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line 'Zeus accordingly displayed his own cleverness by consigning Sisyphus to an eternity of useless efforts and unending frustration. Thus it came to pass that pointless and/or interminable activities are sometimes described as Sisyphean'

Thanks En-Joy

The above is what wiki said about Sysyphus, i was more interested in what CT meant by the comment.

Did you mean the pursuit of happiness is a useless effort?

What would you say if the way to happiness lies in not making distinctions between good / bad?

But in understanding and practising  the four noble truths and the eightfold path, is this a different happiness? or the true happiness?

The pursuit of happiness comes to fruition when one realises the impediments to happiness, (ignorance, desire, attachment)

Or to put it another way the pursuit of happiness comes to fruition when one realises there may have been a flaw in ones previous (thinking) pursuit.

Is happiness a state or is happiness a relaxing (letting go) of stupidity?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134265
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
02:08AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i would suggest happiness is the peace of mind state, upstream of all my illusions,

but i could be wrong,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134267
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
03:15AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line conscisely, if happiness is based upon illusion and delusion yes Sisyphus

however if happiness is based on seeing things as they are ???? 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134272
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
03:53AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i went away, and i came to me there is something to this happiness idea, something i am a million miles away from, for me to be so emphatic about justifying myself i am suspicious there is a flaw in my perception or perhaps that is just it perception tainted by desire?

i do not know, but i will

i will practice just seeing 'things as they are mind', and leave ideas of happiness to the smarter people.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134274
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from en-Joy
Jan.12.2012
07:39AM EDT 
vertical line Justin, now is a good time to stand up, stretch the body. Perhaps fetch a drink if thirsty. Listen, what do you hear? I think sibling flushed the toilet in the bathroom, sounds like the water running, should go to stop it.. Sometimes the button gets stuck! Smile. :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134276
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
08:59AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i turned off the computer and watched some old episodes of stargate :) 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134280
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from en-Joy
Jan.12.2012
09:06AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "i turned off the computer and watched some old episodes of stargate :) 

"

Oh man.. Dad likes that show hahaha.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134282
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
09:45AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line great show
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134283
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Jan.12.2012
05:26PM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: " it seems many people liking to be a Sisyphus

"

The paradox of Sisyphus is that once he reaches his goal, he experiences the fact that the real aim of his activity is the way itself, the alteration of ascent and descent.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134285
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jan.12.2012
08:14PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line thanks....o
that has a very different meaning  then wiki, now i understand the meaning of the post
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134295
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Jan.14.2012
07:44PM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line This is not a show at all. This life is desperately serious.
 WHAT LIFE IS ALL ABOUT?
This is our life. We are not doing propaganda. We really want to talk about life itself. Our daily living...
What are we playing with, sirs?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134392
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jan.15.2012
05:18AM EDT 

Quote: " it seems many people liking to be a Sisyphus

"

The paradox of Sisyphus is that once he reaches his goal, he experiences the fact that the real aim of his activity is the way itself, the alteration of ascent and descent.

"

"

Is the existence of Sisyphus not valid in and of itself?  Is it different to roll a rock up hill over and over again than to work Monday through Friday only to do it over and over again?  Or to repeat any pattern of behavior over and over again?

The only problem with the life of Sisyphus is his frustration with it.  If he could find it in himself to be at peace with it, then rolling the rock up the hill would be a joy, and letting it roll back down the hill would only be a rest cycle.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134412
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Jan.15.2012
09:22AM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line letting Sisyphus carry his punishment and have frustration or peace of mind, joy or whatsoever he might think of, CT is just having a cup of green tea now.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134414
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jan.15.2012
10:29AM EDT 
vertical line

I remember boot camp was hard at first.  They shave your head and call you a worm, yelling at you, hitting you sometimes, getting up at 4 am, having to march everywhere, and lots of push ups, everytime anyone made a mistake more push ups. 

By the time two month had passed I had gotten used to it.  I wasn't scared if they yelled.  Got used to washing clothes with a scrub brush, and shining shoes with spit.  Just got used to all of it.  Even when I got sent to a Marching Party as punishment for failing a surprise inspection id didnt mind.  Hot summer night in August, had to wear Work Jacket, Pea Coat, Overcoat and do punishment exercises with rifle. 

But it was fun just the same.  It was comical.  We would do an exercise until about half couldnt do it anymore.  Then the man would say that as soon as everyone was dong it in unison we would change to another exercise.  Some would cry and say they couldnt while others were threatening to beat them with their rifles if they didnt get with it.  I was laughing and having a good time. 

Sisyphean endeavors are a part of life.  Some things are just a rut by nature.  Just get used to the routine, and get out of it as soon as you can.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134416
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Jan.15.2012
11:37AM EDT 
Email chontri

Sisyphean endeavors are a part of life.  Some things are just a rut by nature.  Just get used to the routine, and get out of it as soon as you can.

"
you sounded you were proud of what you had underwent. and it seemed you wouldn't want to do that again, would you? whether you would or not, just put it in your pocket for another time of yours and any other people get the something like yours. however, that was not all of what CT meant with the myth of Sisyphus. What CT meant with it is the human bondage as a whole, not just a part of it as your story. With this CT means human beings have been creating various kinds of bondage for themselves and others, and they have been trying to get out of what they have created desparately. how pity! but it's ok. let them take care of themselves like you did. right now, CT just has another cup of green tea. would you like to have one?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134417
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jan.16.2012
06:06AM EDT 
vertical line

what CT meant with the myth of Sisyphus. What CT meant with it is the human bondage as a whole, not just a part of it as your story. With this CT means human beings have been creating various kinds of bondage for themselves and others, and they have been trying to get out of what they have created desparately. how pity!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I see your point. 

What greater hope can we have for others than that they will find that they have the key to their chains and can undo them at any time.

What I learned in Boot Camp was that even when others try to make things hard for us we can adapt and overcome.

A Puritan was being tortured to confess to witchcraft in the late 1600s.  They had him lie on the ground and then kept putting stones on his chest.  He could barely speak because of the weight, but each time they bent over to hear his confession he would say, *I need another stone*. 

Ultimately he died of suffocation.  He did not confess.  He did not need another stone, but his faith was so great that neither did he need to breathe.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134446
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Jan.16.2012
08:20AM EDT 
Email chontri

what CT meant with the myth of Sisyphus. What CT meant with it is the human bondage as a whole, not just a part of it as your story. With this CT means human beings have been creating various kinds of bondage for themselves and others, and they have been trying to get out of what they have created desparately. how pity!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I see your point. 

What greater hope can we have for others than that they will find that they have the key to their chains and can undo them at any time.

What I learned in Boot Camp was that even when others try to make things hard for us we can adapt and overcome.

A Puritan was being tortured to confess to witchcraft in the late 1600s.  They had him lie on the ground and then kept putting stones on his chest.  He could barely speak because of the weight, but each time they bent over to hear his confession he would say, *I need another stone*. 

Ultimately he died of suffocation.  He did not confess.  He did not need another stone, but his faith was so great that neither did he need to breathe.

"
the death of the Puritan, in your story, was involved in a couple of different causes, if just looking at the surface. this means the witchcraft and the belief in witchcraft, the tortures with stones, the discrimination in different beliefs or views. Actually, the real reason was the ignorance of the people involved in the case.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 134449
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this FOREST MONKS
by Nik Wheeler
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s