history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Oct 25 2014 05:11PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk asked the Chinese Ch'an master Chien Paling:
-What is the difference between the meaning of the Sutras and that of the Patriarch?
The master replied:
-When it is cold, hen would go up on a tree and duck down to water. more...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: PANIC ATTACKS
vertical line Posted on Aug.18.2007 @ 04:46AM EDT by fatnhappy
Now Im not one to just be all panic-y and wishy washy ......this mind has been good and strong for quite some time now . But as of late Ive had some real bad attacks of anxiety and feelings that something isnt right or that there is something wrong real griping and troublesome . I have to stop what Im doin and sit ....and compleatly clear my mind . Then it seems that the internal monolouge kicks in and is in like hyper drive and I cant turn it back off again for hours.....it eventually fades and I go back to my normal in the moment state but its real strong and makes me so nervous . Its such an unusual way to feel ya know !

Any one else have the same issue and if so any ways of dealing with it ?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email fatnhappy
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from HarryB
Aug.18.2007
06:13AM EDT 
vertical line

Hi,

Maybe consider not taking your thoughts too seriously? Get used to them, the nature of your mind is to make thoughts. Zazen isn't reliant on stopping your thoughts, its simply sitting and not engaging your thoughts **or rejecting them**. Maybe the thought that your thoughts are something other than they are (i.e. they are fleeting and harmless) is the problem?

I have an active mind like most other people, it bugs me sometimes like most other people's mind bugs them, but when sitting I just let thoughts arise and fade naturally; all thoughts that ist not judging them 'good' or 'bad', not judging emotions 'good' and 'bad', not seeking any escape or special state, things just as they are, as they arise before we welcome or reject them.

Good luck,

Harry.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73603
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.18.2007
10:45AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I hear ya! But do we listen to our fear, our anger, without needing and looking for help? One of the scariest places I know is at shopping malls, like rats in a maze, buying garbage they just can't do without! Then there are those who watch tv for no other reason but to have it on, they're blind! Most people push their fear away, so what do I do.

I can't be like most people, I feel and think more deeply, so we don't connect much.

Ok, I'd better go to bed, it was a rough night. Try staying up all night sometime with me , for your nurse. Feeling funny? I can't fix that!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73605
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.18.2007
12:02PM EDT 
vertical line Listen without flinching to the note your metal sounds before your crafty mind has the time to muffle it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73606
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bezoomy
Aug.18.2007
01:27PM EDT 
Email Bezoomy
vertical line

You're still holding on to ideas that things have to be a certain way and so your experiences fluster you. Then you think "oh yes, things don't have to be a certain way, they are just as they are", but instead of really realizing this it just becomes another thought with all sorts of preconceptions that you impose on your experiences and your actions. First ask if you are interested in truth or in feeding your self.

This might help you:

"Once there was a disciplinarian monk who had kept the precepts all his life. As he was walking one night, he stepped on something that squished, which he imagined to be a frog, a mother frog laden with eggs. Mortified at the thought of having killed a pregnant frog, when the monk went to sleep that night he dreamed that hundreds of frogs came to him demanding his life. He was utterly terrified.

Come morning, the monk went to look for the frog he had squashed and found that it had only been an overripe eggplant. At that moment the monk’s perplexities abruptly ceased; realizing there is nothing concrete in the world, for the first time he was really able to apply it practically in life. Now I ask you, when he stepped on it by night, was it a frog or an eggplant? If it was a frog, yet when he looked at dawn it was an eggplant; if it was an eggplant, yet there were frogs demanding his life the night before. Can you decide? I'll try to decide for you:

Feelings of frogs may be shed,

but the idea of eggplant remains.

If you would be free

Of the idea of eggplant,

Strike the evening chime at noon.” -Foyan

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73610
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.18.2007
03:25PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Have one of my tomatoes! It's free, and full of sunlove!  And the raccoons wouldn't eat em. It's all I got! But, you can hav it f&h. And take a couple bundles of wood, free. And you can bring your waitress friend along, I'm making a tree fort, and her family.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73612
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.18.2007
03:38PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line whoops...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73616
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Aug.18.2007
06:48PM EDT 
vertical line Hey F&H!

If you can sit with a PA your not do'n so bad, really. Just continue to sit. You might try focussing on the physical manifestations of the anxiety, the sensations in the body, and ignore the story line. I know, the story is soo compelling, so damned important, but really it's not. If you want a story go to the bookstore, or rent a good western (westerns always end with a happy resolution).

By focusing something one of three things will happen:

1) Nothing happens - well at least you tried!

2) The anxiety gets worse - oops, nobodies perfect.

3) The anxiety abates - Not sure if abates is the right word to use here.

Hang in there amigo!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73623
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Aug.18.2007
07:05PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line Know of it, understand of it, learn from it, let go of it, be awake in the moment. Fell the peace in you heart. Don't give up pray.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73624
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.18.2007
07:45PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Um, use a mirror.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73625
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.18.2007
07:48PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line And be around people. Next: See what they see!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73626
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.18.2007
07:49PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Wait a minute... this might not work here. Let me think about it. I'll get back to you. Reflections, reflections... hmmm...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73627
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Aug.19.2007
08:54AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

Some times things are not what they seem. Panic attacks can be one of those. For some reason your body becomes excited (subconscious or autonomic storm) and your mind is impressed. You think “must fight or flight” but you see no danger. These leads to more anxiety and down the hill you tumble. There are good medications to handle the problem: Beta blockers to limit the storms or Paxil for anxiety. MU

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73663
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.19.2007
09:11AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line keep a brown paper bag handy for hyperventilation
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73664
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Aug.19.2007
02:46PM EDT 
vertical line If our friend can sit through a panic attack and can work through it in a few hours he's well past the need for meds, or a brown paper bag... Hello?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73667
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.19.2007
02:59PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line or just pass out
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73669
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.19.2007
03:03PM EDT 
vertical line -----------------D O N ' T  P A N I C------------------
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73671
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.19.2007
05:33PM EDT 
vertical line I can be an internal state more travelogue-dialogue than monologue.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73683
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.19.2007
05:43PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I see, and how does that make you feel?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73685
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.19.2007
05:54PM EDT 
vertical line Not that, not this, not here, not there - fore...reportage, reportage.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73687
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.19.2007
06:00PM EDT 
vertical line No peace for the wishy-washy, the angels tell me, no peace for the wishy-washy.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73688
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.19.2007
06:26PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line So you hear angels? Wishing, washing... wha wha what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73690
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.19.2007
08:25PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Okay, I was joking. Angels huh...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73691
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.19.2007
10:33PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line One can enlist the help of the unseen, through prayer, through changing one's habits. One is always seen by the creator. One does not need to be alone. That is in part of what this here is, it is the companionship, irregardless of how one-dimensional it may be. We are desperate when we feel alone.

Fear is a call to change, and a letting go of the previous feelings and habits. So we practice letting go of words, we approach things differently from day to day, and this is liberating. And we can forget ourselves, by considering the less fortunate. Even how and what we eat has an effect on how we feel, about this changing world. It will always be changing, and we can learn how to free the control, letting go of what we do not need. Fear, we do not need. Fear is the ego.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73694
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Aug.20.2007
12:50AM EDT 
vertical line Fear has it's natural place, as does anger, and any other allegedly egotistic emotional response.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73695
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Aug.20.2007
03:15AM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Quote: "One can enlist the help of the unseen, through prayer, through changing one's habits. One is always seen by the creator. One does not need to be alone. That is in part of what this here is, it is the companionship, irregardless of how one-dimensional it may be. We are desperate when we feel alone.

Fear is a call to change, and a letting go of the previous feelings and habits. So we practice letting go of words, we approach things differently from day to day, and this is liberating. And we can forget ourselves, by considering the less fortunate. Even how and what we eat has an effect on how we feel, about this changing world. It will always be changing, and we can learn how to free the control, letting go of what we do not need. Fear, we do not need. Fear is the ego.
"
.........You are on to something woods .....I think it might just be my diet...hadnt occured to me but ive been eating junk food crap lately.....been off the vegetarian diet due to being on the road alot and now that im back in town Ive continued eating crap food like I know no other . I think the junk food stuff might be addicting after eating it for awhile......I just ate a bunch of sugary foods and now im feeling all weird....hmmmmm see its not a mental stuggle really its more of a body gut feeling like right before you get on a roller coaster or do something that is exciting .Butterfly type feeling then that kicks on my nervousness like why am I feeling this way ......then that starts a "why am I feeling nervous" type feeling......hmmm im goin to go back to eating whole vegi foods again. This is disturbung to "myself" because Ive never had these type of nervous feelings before so I dont know how to deal with them . Its easy for people to say oh try not to let it affect you but when it does its gripping . I make it into a test of the moment ...just try to feel it and be with it like feeling love or any other emotion but its annoying like a stubbed toe. Constantly aching and bothersome . Right now im feeling the nervousness and it feels like anyplace im at isnt right or im out of place not comfortable in my skin like I should be doing something else .......this is an interesting feeling . Not pleasant but real.......
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73698
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Aug.20.2007
03:20AM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Quote: "Listen without flinching to the note your metal sounds before your crafty mind has the time to muffle it. "
.........Hey rustic ...thats an interesting comment .......haven't had time for much meditation lately ...I was pondering if meditation is just another drug the other day like a sedative or any other form of medication . Life seems to be coming at me fast lately .
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73699
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Aug.20.2007
03:27AM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Quote: ""First ask if you are interested in truth or in feeding your self."

I believe Im interested  in both ......living in a major city I still must present my personality to others . I cant be this inner meditating non comunitive   person ...I have to work with others and deal with stresses of life in a social aspect in an environment that isnt Zen state of mind friendly. therefore Im forced to develop a self to be ..........so feeding it the good stuff the stuff I feel to be good and wholesome is how I deal with feeding self . But like woods mentioned Its hard for me to connect because I feel and think deeper than most of the people around me or maybe Im just more willing to share it openly...........The truth is this moment nothing more....!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73700
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Aug.20.2007
03:35AM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Quote: "Hey F&H!

Hey Boymonk ,

Thanx for the encouragement and understanding . When I dont understand something thats happening to me I try to just sit and not think . Just be herenow .......I sit but its difficult cause it feels weird to me in those moments to be anywhere doing anything . Ya know . This too shall pass Mom always says.....so indeed it does.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73701
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Aug.20.2007
03:41AM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Quote: "

Some times things are not what they seem. Panic attacks can be one of those. For some reason your body becomes excited (subconscious or autonomic storm) and your mind is impressed. You think “must fight or flight” but you see no danger. These leads to more anxiety and down the hill you tumble. There are good medications to handle the problem: Beta blockers to limit the storms or Paxil for anxiety. MU

"
.........With all due respect Steph my father has been a nurse most of my life and from what knowledge Ive gained about medication Fuck pills......I realize its chemical imbalances in the brain sending signals to the rest of my body and some medications will help balance these out but I cant justify medicating my body . There is always a natural way to handle any situation . Thanx for the thought man but I dont want the diazapien stare  : )
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73702
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from fatnhappy
Aug.20.2007
03:49AM EDT 
Email fatnhappy
vertical line Thanx everyone for all the insight and enlightenment . I appreciate all the kindness and advice hopefully these feelings pass and stay gone....:) 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73703
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.20.2007
08:14AM EDT 
vertical line ting!!...I know I've said this before but...I suffered anxiety attacks and depression for a number of years without understanding why or where it was coming from, which bothered me more than the attacks when I think about it. One of my daughters is suffering anxiety and depression now - she hasn't slept properly for months but she knows the cause and is more accepting. However, everything changed for me when I realised that fainting or blacking out could possibly be the worst thing that could happen, which isn't ideal in a public place. The black out, the faint though, could, I thought, for all intents and purposes, be death. And I thought, yeah, that's the worst thing that can happen and strangely enough the attacks began to diminish in their intensity and frequency.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73705
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Aug.20.2007
10:22AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"
.........With all due respect Steph my father has been a nurse most of my life and from what knowledge Ive gained about medication Fuck pills......I realize its chemical imbalances in the brain sending signals to the rest of my body and some medications will help balance these out but I cant justify medicating my body . There is always a natural way to handle any situation . Thanx for the thought man but I dont want the diazapien stare  : )
"

I am no longer smart enough to know what is natural and what is unnatural. That smartness is gone. I do know that a panic attack can be the worst of the worst. I had them for a while and they were mentally debilitating. Meditation cured them but it took time. Offer yourself the same compassion you would offer a stranger. Why be in pain? It will dull your concentration. Pills can be useful.  MU

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73712
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.20.2007
10:35AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line f&h,

I mean prayer, more as a mindfulness, I'm not into standardized breakfast cereal kinds of prayer, and I tend to ignore holidays, and every day is holy to me. I also use silence a lot... seriously... you should see my eyebrows. But yes, I do talk with the unseen. The unseen has it's own language... we do our best to relate, as in here. ( twinkle twinkle...)

Days that I go to work I naturally fast. Or nights, that is. Fear scares away the desire to eat for me, so does isolation. But, I love the trees, and the sky, and... that's about it.

Oh, I like kids, because they are emotionally more honest than adults, and kids will make fun of you to your face, and not stab you in the back like adults. Adults, especially males learn to conceal emotional "weakness", it's an adaptation that arose out of desperation, and is a just another version of blame and lack of gratefulness.... just a lacking feeling, imposed by the other.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73713
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.20.2007
10:55AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line You know, I have some very  "spiritual " relatives, it is one of my constant stumbling blocks, I just try and let it go, and stay away from them, like this week for instance, the family is off on one of their "big" celebrations, spiritual won't even enter into it. Ok, I'm being bad, but... fasting.

Some of my "spiritual" relatives... stop.

Ok, fasting and prayer, does not need a qualifier from someone else to compare degrees of spiritual awakening. As a matter of fact, (uh oh)  what is encountered in a long fast won't possibly be related to, one wouldn't want it, the dark side has no desire in it. So spiritual pride is a joke, there's no pride in it. Weakness and fear are tools in realization, pretty serious tools. Christ was the building block which the builders rejected, it's what we reject that has the most usefulness for our own realizations, or what others reject in us. Look out first, and see what others have rejected. And the "higher" the standard, the more is being rejected.

Ok, I think I've had too much strong coffee... eee...... so much for stimulants.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73714
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.20.2007
11:30AM EDT 
vertical line The Jesus prayer is simple. And the way it moves from the lips to the mind to the heart is simpler.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73715
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.20.2007
11:47AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line It wasn't simple for Jesus. Simple is not easy. We want it to be easy, the path, but it's not.

Simple is in the sense of breaking away from the dogma that springs up once "solutions" are made. We're not here for a fix... nothing is broken, if it wasn't in the first place.

The first place is reserved for something which is constantly pure, like milk, from your mother, when you were before any sense of right and wrong, comparing to this and that, all but seconds.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73718
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Aug.20.2007
12:07PM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

Quote: "The Jesus prayer is simple. And the way it moves from the lips to the mind to the heart is simpler. "

Jerome David Salinger  -

Zooey (1957)

• I swear to you, you're missing the whole point of the Jesus Prayer. The Jesus Prayer has one aim, and one aim only. To endow the person who says it with Christ-Consciousness. Not to set up some little cozy, holier-than-thou trysting place with some sticky, adorable divine personage who'll take you in his arms and relieve you of all your duties and make all your nasty Weltschmerzen and Professor Tuppers go away and never come back. And by God, if you have intelligence enough to see that — and you do — and yet you refuse to see it, then you're misusing the prayer, you're using it to ask for a world full of dolls and saints and no Professor Tuppers.

• "You can say the Jesus Prayer from now till doomsday, but if you don't realize that the only thing that counts in the religious life is detachment, I don't see how you'll ever even move an inch. Detachment, buddy, and only detachment. Desirelessness. 'Cessation from all hankerings.' It's this business of desiring, if you want to know the goddam truth, that makes an actor in the first place. Why're you making me tell you things you already know? Somewhere along the line — in one damn incarnation or another, if you like — you not only had a hankering to be an actor or an actress but to be a good one. You're stuck with it now. You can't just walk out on the results of your own hankerings. Cause and effect, buddy, cause and effect. The only thing you can do now, the only religious thing you can do, is act. Act for God, if you want to — be God's actress, if you want to. What could be prettier? You can at least try to, if you want to — there's nothing wrong in trying." There was a slight pause. "You'd better get busy, though, buddy. The goddam sands run out on you every time you turn around. I know what I'm talking about. You're lucky if you get time to sneeze in this goddam phenomenal world."

Serial Killers favorite story after Catcher In The Rye.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73721
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.20.2007
12:53PM EDT 
vertical line ok, I give up.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73722
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.20.2007
01:29PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line P-raise god.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73725
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.20.2007
01:34PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line bout time somebody worked, oh... see ya! P-oinky poo!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73726
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.20.2007
03:07PM EDT 
vertical line 'Nice' try - you're only just jest too easy. What does this button do? ooops...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73729
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from TheSource
Aug.30.2007
11:34AM EDT 
Email TheSource
vertical line Food and what you drink have a big impact on your emotions and behaviour.  Sugars, transfats, caffine, high fat foods can make panic attacks worse.
Try a raw food diet meaning most fruits and vegetables but staying away from trophical fruits.  Salt is another one that can make it worse since salt raises the blood pressure and drink enough water. Filtered water, no coffee, tea and all that crap including milk.
Learn some qigong,  http://www.falundafa.org/eng/overview.htm.  Dalun Dafa is type of qigong which is very powerful.  Only do the first two exercises for a long time.
It is very powerful and relaxing to me.  enjoy
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74049
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Aug.30.2007
02:01PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Food and what you drink have a big impact on your emotions and behaviour.  Sugars, transfats, caffine, high fat foods can make panic attacks worse.
Try a raw food diet meaning most fruits and vegetables but staying away from trophical fruits.  Salt is another one that can make it worse since salt raises the blood pressure and drink enough water. Filtered water, no coffee, tea and all that crap including milk. 
"

yes...though not eating-dirinking which listed can assist , it won't cease fear...fear not clearly seen will remain

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from AJB2585
Apr.03.2009
03:41PM EDT 
Email AJB2585
vertical line My panic attacks started about 4 or 5 months ago. I took Xanax, that helped. I did not want to stay on them. I began meditation early on. I found that meditation helped alleviate them (sound meditation to music, internal meditation to my breath, counting each exhalation. Letting thoughts enter, say "okay, I hear it", and go back to object of meditation). that worked for 3 months. Not too long ago, they started up again, not sure why, but this time the old method of meditation was not working because the sensation was incredibly overwhelming. I kept trying and trying. Eventually, I found that sensation meditation worked. My biggest fear was.. basically DOOM. That I am going to die. There was a lot of adrenaline rushing through my body and I could feel it. I began pacing back and forth, all woozy from the panic, and while I paced (which in theory, helped burn up the adrenaline a little), I would begin focusing on my body, and asking myself "where is this sensation coming from? Where is the root of this feeling that's making me feel like I might die, like everything is wrong? I found it to be in my stomach. I actually realized that all of it seems to be coming from the butterflies in the stomach that radiate all over my torso, but it must have been too overwhelming to notice at first, so my mind told me all sorts of crazy explanations. As I focused on the source of this discomfort, I became more and more comforted that it's just REALLY intense anxiety, and as I paced, and focused on the source of the sensation, it went away! It took me from around 10am until 1pm to figure this out and become completely calm. However, my heart was still kind of racy for the rest of the day. So if this ever happens to me again, or to you, I recommend some kind of exercise after you are calm, to burn the rest of that adrenaline.

Hope this helps like it helped me!

-Adam
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95116
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jasballz
Apr.03.2009
05:04PM EDT 
Email jasballz
vertical line yah, i have panic attacks. My counselor said deep breathing from the 'one point' or from your belly. I guess it has something to do with neurology/brain make up

namaste,
gassho

jasballz
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95117
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jasballz
Apr.03.2009
10:26PM EDT 
Email jasballz

Quote: "The Jesus prayer is simple. And the way it moves from the lips to the mind to the heart is simpler. "

Jerome David Salinger  -

Zooey (1957)

• I swear to you, you're missing the whole point of the Jesus Prayer. The Jesus Prayer has one aim, and one aim only. To endow the person who says it with Christ-Consciousness. Not to set up some little cozy, holier-than-thou trysting place with some sticky, adorable divine personage who'll take you in his arms and relieve you of all your duties and make all your nasty Weltschmerzen and Professor Tuppers go away and never come back. And by God, if you have intelligence enough to see that — and you do — and yet you refuse to see it, then you're misusing the prayer, you're using it to ask for a world full of dolls and saints and no Professor Tuppers.

• "You can say the Jesus Prayer from now till doomsday, but if you don't realize that the only thing that counts in the religious life is detachment, I don't see how you'll ever even move an inch. Detachment, buddy, and only detachment. Desirelessness. 'Cessation from all hankerings.' It's this business of desiring, if you want to know the goddam truth, that makes an actor in the first place. Why're you making me tell you things you already know? Somewhere along the line — in one damn incarnation or another, if you like — you not only had a hankering to be an actor or an actress but to be a good one. You're stuck with it now. You can't just walk out on the results of your own hankerings. Cause and effect, buddy, cause and effect. The only thing you can do now, the only religious thing you can do, is act. Act for God, if you want to — be God's actress, if you want to. What could be prettier? You can at least try to, if you want to — there's nothing wrong in trying." There was a slight pause. "You'd better get busy, though, buddy. The goddam sands run out on you every time you turn around. I know what I'm talking about. You're lucky if you get time to sneeze in this goddam phenomenal world."

"

theres a good book on the Jesus' prayer, it is a mantra that when practiced becomes automatic in sync with heart beat. I think its Way of the Pilgrim. But the Jesus Prayer is Eastern / Byzantine prayer of the heart. Theres a neat story about how his master visits him in a dream after death and continues to direct his practice. It is a deep, prayer and should only be used under specific spiritual guidance, due to the nature of practice is based on a set # of repititions that are supposed to be given you by your teacher.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95131
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Apr.04.2009
05:16AM EDT 
vertical line

I used to suffer from insomnia in my youth. 

I could not fight it, so I just slept every other night.

Then I took up self-hypnosis and that cured it.  

It hasn't been a problem since.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95178
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jasballz
Apr.04.2009
05:23AM EDT 
Email jasballz

I used to suffer from insomnia in my youth. 

I could not fight it, so I just slept every other night.

Then I took up self-hypnosis and that cured it.  

It hasn't been a problem since.

"

i def have insomnia, i sleep every other other nite. hmm, yah self-hypnosis works for me too, tho I guess I have to just turn off the television and the pc and get to bed.

namaste

gassho
jasballz
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95182
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Apr.05.2009
07:55AM EDT 
vertical line

PANIC.

ITS JUST DENIAL PUNISHING YOU.

GUILT DRAWS PUNISHMENT, ALWAYS.

Admit and accept that you are damned angry and that you HATE.

ANGRY and HATE.

ADMIT IT.

You wont panic any more.

It has taken me my whole life to accept that I HATE. I REALLY DO.

What next????

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95249
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Apr.05.2009
10:03AM EDT 
Email lehish

PANIC.

ITS JUST DENIAL PUNISHING YOU.

GUILT DRAWS PUNISHMENT, ALWAYS.

Admit and accept that you are damned angry and that you HATE.

ANGRY and HATE.

ADMIT IT.

You wont panic any more.

It has taken me my whole life to accept that I HATE. I REALLY DO.

What next????

"

"

wrong

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95250
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lightpink
Apr.05.2009
11:49AM EDT 
Email lightpink
vertical line

Mr. Chontri,

Im at another city now I'll keep going

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 95251
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from SmViitSi
Jun.24.2013
06:05PM EDT 
Email SmViitSi
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

Jerome David Salinger  -

Zooey (1957)

"

theres a good book on the Jesus' prayer, it is a mantra that when practiced becomes automatic in sync with heart beat. I think its Way of the Pilgrim. But the Jesus Prayer is Eastern / Byzantine prayer of the heart. Theres a neat story about how his master visits him in a dream after death and continues to direct his practice. It is a deep, prayer and should only be used under specific spiritual guidance, due to the nature of practice is based on a set # of repititions that are supposed to be given you by your teacher.
"

A person who is trying to get away from suffering is still fundamentally afraid of it. If the cause of suffering is the perpetual dissatisfaction desire, then an attempt to abandon desire through asceticism, and thus deal with the problem of suffering, still arises from the desire not to desire - or not to suffer.

There are two basic questions in life. What do I want? and What do I get? And through some kind of magic, some kind of inexplicable, unpredictable, spontaneous excellence of nature, some day the answer to both questions will be the same and you will have found peace. But there is no method. There is only faith and the unstoppable tide of time.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153291
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.25.2013
06:56AM EDT 
vertical line I don't want.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153295
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.25.2013
08:52AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line butterfly in a cave
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153296
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.25.2013
05:36PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line Stamp
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153299
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.26.2013
06:46AM EDT 
vertical line What you see is what you get.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153303
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION
by Olivier Follmi
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s