history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Aug 20 2014 08:43AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.08.2009 @ 10:26PM EDT by chontri

If you want to know the past,
to know what has caused you,
look at yourself in the present,
for that is the past's effect.

If you want to know your future,
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: I NEED HELP IN MY QUEST
vertical line Posted on Aug.22.2007 @ 04:38AM EDT by gyro16
I have been away on holiday for a while and while I was away I couldn't practice Zaezen. so, is there anyone williing to help me on my Quest for Enlightenment. i just want a guide...
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email gyro16
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.22.2007
08:38AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line It is not so much a matter of what is seen by others in and around you, but all the ways in which you make a difference in the unseen, with what has been neglected, ways that only you see. Then we come to value a different way, a way which doesn't require the constant rush to either get things done out of greedy self-approval of others, or escape the judgments which dismiss subtlety as the true source of making the connections. One can be content with far less distraction, and just be happy with less.

The desire to get more out of life, more out of anything, stems from a feeling of nonacceptance, and casts out the good with the bad where only the most obvious  benefit comes in the moments of avoidance. In thoughts, we need to look at what troubles us, and in that, we come to make a difference by acceptance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73792
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Aug.22.2007
09:07AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line

Thank you Woodsman, but when I perform Zaezen, one thing appears apparent to my afterwards. My parents said that I am not mature enough to practice a religion.  maybe this is why I am mislead?

Thank you

I manifest myself in the Buddha,

Gyro16

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73794
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.22.2007
09:28AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Take it slowly, as in taking less. Practicing a religion, is like practicing an art, one is motivated by others with the same interest, and one seeks out the most useful and basic directions in getting started, as with anything. One practice is like any other, one discipline is like any other. Parents offer us as much enlightenment as any other. Keeping peace is the focus in any practice, and learning to live in peace begins at home, and returns home.

One is set on a course for finding meaning, at whatever age the questions arise. Parents make good resources for questions, until there is a limit on giving information which is beyond the domain of meeting needs where there is only an accumulation of knowledge.
But in like fashion we become our parents, we learn to parent ourselves with love, as we learn to be patient with needs which focus beyond the here and now. We become what we seek, and where we offer little is how and where we offer much. Small steps matter. A little acceptance goes a long way, a word, being open to helping another, can change things just enough to let the light in.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73795
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.22.2007
10:22AM EDT 
vertical line ok, help yourself to this: you're a fool, I'm a fool. How's that?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73796
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Aug.22.2007
01:23PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Hi  Gyro16

You cannot find time but have you tried making time for it. 24 hours a day no more no less. Guide Yourself Requires Own 16  Discipline

Just Be Good, Be Just and Be Right.

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73800
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.22.2007
01:38PM EDT 
vertical line Oh boyser, if you want to realise your transparency, you will first have to face the thorny problem that you are not naturally and instantly at peace with all.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73801
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.22.2007
04:16PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Gyro,

A good place to begin reading, (you may want to look at your folk's library first) is anything written by Thich Nhat Hanh, John Welwood, Sharon Salzberg, Peme Chodron, to name a few, and for my first primer I would recommend Herman Hesses's 'Siddhartha'. And don't take anything written on this forum too seriously, unless... ah, never mind.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73802
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.22.2007
04:58PM EDT 
vertical line "unless...ah never mind"?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73803
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.22.2007
05:04PM EDT 
vertical line And watch out for the woodsman's selective and arbitrary (all swinging, all oscillating), chopper.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73804
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.22.2007
07:13PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Gyro,

Victor Frankl's 'Man's Search for Meaning'... Omygoooddnesses, I love that book... ommeeooww... ok, J. Krishnamurti is great, Stephen and Andrea Levine's books... love em... anything written by Joseph Campbell... ohh god, and a good encyclopedia on Eastern Philosophy and Religion, check out Shambala publishing, and have fun! And I just ate dinner! I need another long walk. peace, and absolution...

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73806
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.22.2007
07:47PM EDT 
vertical line ...and don't forget to perform zaezen...and demonstrably exit stage left...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73807
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.22.2007
08:16PM EDT 
vertical line ...ooh, I'm so immature, Zaezen, and...we ride out at first light to climb the crack of dawn on long spindly noble Zaezen and a thousand yard stare....crackofdawnclimbers all...may the power of the big sword with the little handle smithed by shark tooth George and embossed with jewels remain with you always...go in pieces...and reassemble by the lakeside forged anew...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73808
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.22.2007
09:06PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I think he's talking to himself again.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73811
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Aug.23.2007
04:36AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line Thank you all. I plan to get some Haiku poems out of my Library. Any recommendations?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73816
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.23.2007
08:49AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Whoah, ya got me there. What's that? Give me some time to look through my library.

I am making some more wood disks with sayings on them, front and backs, so I could do a few and see what the average guy off the street thinks. But all I've been getting in the gallery is Buddhist types lately. And they make comments about the spirit of the work, and I haven't used one word of Hiaku, that 5-7-5 stuff... though I admit to liking numbers some, if they aren't too specific, as in this stands for that. Ok, I'll give it a fling.

Still have nothing left
To give to anyone here
How's that for starters?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73820
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.23.2007
09:05AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The first one I found is on Ryokan.

Here's a goody, and the first one I've read...

When there're
those who give their lives
trying to save others,
to hide in a grass hut
because I want a little leisure -
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73821
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN FANS II
by Gene Ouimette
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s