history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 23 2014 07:41AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.17.2009 @ 07:39PM EDT by chontri

O monks, even if you have insight that is pure and clear but you cling to
it, fondle it and treasure it, depend on it and are attached to it, then you
do not understand... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SANGHA INSIDE
vertical line Posted on Aug.22.2007 @ 09:10AM EDT by gyro16

This is a continuation of a previous topic. How about we start a Sangha in here? you know, some more experienced members helping others through the Middle Way.

What do you think?

I manifest myself in the Buddha

with Metta,

Gyro16

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email gyro16
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.22.2007
09:09PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I don't get it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73813
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Aug.23.2007
04:32AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line

Basically, ever now and again we all go on a topic dedicated to fast-response chatting, like MSN but slower. in the topic, we could do ,like, koans and what we think they mean, etc

with Metta

Gyro16

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73815
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.23.2007
08:35AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Ok, you give me a koan, and I will completely intuit the answer, the way it's supposed to be. Just don't use that 'One hand clapping' one, I'm on vacation. Give me a vacation koan.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73817
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Aug.24.2007
04:30AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line

Heres one:

THE GREAT WAVES
In the early days of the Meiji era there lived a well-known wrestler called O-nami, Great Waves.

O-nami was immensely strong and knew the art of wrestling. In his private bouts he defeated even his teacher, but in public he was so bashful that his own pupils threw him.

O-nami felt he should go to a Zen master for help. Hakuju, a wandering teacher, was stopping in a little temple nearby, so O-nami went to see him and told him of his trouble.

"Great Waves is your name," the teacher advised, "so stay in this temple tonight. Imagine that you are those billows. You are no longer a wrestler who is afraid. You are those huge waves sweeping everything before them, swallowing all in their path. Do this and you will be the greatest wrestler in the land."

The teacher retired. O-nami sat in meditation trying to imagine himself as waves. He thought of many different things. Then gradually he turned more and more to the feeling of the waves. As the night advanced the waves became larger and larger. They swept away the flowers in their vases. Even the Buddha in the shrine was inundated. Before dawn the temple was nothing but the ebb and flow of an immense sea.

In the morning the teacher found O-nami meditating, a faint smile on his face. He patted the wrestler's shoulder. "Now nothing can disturb you," he said. "You are those waves. You will sweep everything before you."

The same day O-nami entered the wrestling contests and won. After that, no one in Japan was able to defeat him.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73846
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Aug.24.2007
04:31AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line its only a vacation poem because of the mentioned 'waves', but its a good one all the same!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73847
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Aug.24.2007
04:39AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line

And heres a kind of koan/story:

HAPPY CHINAMAN OR LAUGHING BUDDHA
Anyone walking about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha.

This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself a Zen master or to gather many disciples about him. Instead he walked the streets with a big sack into which he would put gifts of candy, fruit, or doughnuts. These he would give to children who gathered around him in play. He established a kindergarten of the streets.

Whenever he met a Zen devotee he would extend his hand and say: "Give me one penny." And if anyone asked him to return to a temple to teach others, again he would reply: "Give me one penny."

Once he was about his play-work another Zen master happened along and inquired: "What is the significance of Zen?"

Hotei immediately plopped his sack down on the ground in silent answer.

"Then," asked the other, "what is the actualization of Zen?"

At once the Happy Chinaman swung the sack over his shoulder and continued on his way.

And maybe some of you members can give advice to us beginners?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73848
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.24.2007
08:45AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line You are what you seek. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73849
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Aug.24.2007
09:02AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line There now are 100s of these Buddhas on the streets of New York. Know they say "give me a dollar !!!". MU
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73850
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.24.2007
10:42AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line How bout a ride to the mission?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73854
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.24.2007
06:10PM EDT 
vertical line Is that what they say?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73859
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Aug.24.2007
06:50PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line Do 12 step work, Go to a meeting, find GOD, Do ZEN, Go on the WEB. rEACH OUT TO OTHERS. That what they say.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 73860
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this FLAT TOP PAGODA CONCRETE LAWN ORANMENT INTERNATIONAL SCULPTURE
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s