history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Dec 22 2014 01:27PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Once upon a time, in a certain town there was a coffin maker who opened and was running a store where he sold the coffins he made himself to the customers in the neighborhood. The popuplation in the town increased day-by-day.

The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: RELGION IN SCHOOL
vertical line Posted on Aug.30.2007 @ 05:05PM EDT by yogaisfun

i go to a catholic school [although i am not catholic ] and this year we are going to be learning about world religions, buddhism being one of them [if u count it as a religion] and im a lil excited...

my teacher last year was the best teacher ive ever had and he talked about buddhism a little, it was amazing because i knew what he was talking about and other students were just like "whhhaaa???"

so ya, thanks zenguide.com...

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.03.2007
02:43PM EDT 
vertical line whhhaaa???
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74107
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.03.2007
02:58PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line a fellow dumpling
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74108
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Pendragon
Sep.04.2007
08:26AM EDT 
Email Pendragon
vertical line

Some people have "an instant connection" with this world view. "I can't find anything to disagree with" is a comment I have heard.

Look for Buddhist teachings regarding other religions.  What the Buddha taught. What King Asoka in India came to beleive (after being a military conqueror).

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74111
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Sep.04.2007
08:44AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

go to a catholic school [although I am not catholic ] and this year we are going to be learning about world religions, Buddhism being one of them [if u count it as a religion] and I am excited...

The study of religion is a good thing. America’s continuing folly in Iraq is because of ignorance about the importance of religion to many people. Many Americans talk the talk about their religion but do not walk the walk. The thought of a real living belief is beyond them. We ask “Why do these people do such things?” It is clearly outlined in their books and teachings. MU

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.04.2007
09:54AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line It makes no sense to rationalize the way. God is not in lectures. Although in saying anything, there is always a reason, or motivation of connection.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74113
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.04.2007
10:15AM EDT 
vertical line "[Reading Chuang Tzu, I wonder seriously if the wisest answer (on the human level, apart from the answer of faith] is not beyond both ethics and politics. It is a hidden answer; it defies analysis and cannot be embodied in a program. Ethics and politics, of course: but only in passing, only as a "night's lodging." There is a time for action, a time for "commitment," but never for total involvement in the intricacies of a movement. There is a time of innocence and kairos, when action makes a great deal of sense. But who can recognize such moments? Not he who is debauched by a series of programs. And when all action has become absurd, shall one continue to act simply because once, a long time ago, it made a great deal of sense? As if one were always getting somewhere? There is a time to listen, in the active life as everything else, and the better part of action is waiting, not knowing what is next, and not having a glib answer."

~Thomas Merton~

A postulant who has come to the end of his rope and wants to leave, but who has been dissuaded (not by me), stands in the novitiate library leafing through a book called Relax and Live. Sooner or later it comes to that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74114
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.04.2007
11:27AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Thank God it wasn't some green tea book. I need all the tea I can get! From the library.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74115
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.04.2007
10:16PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Ages create certain levels of values. If I come upon an easy chance of obtaining something of value, I accept it in. But if it takes work to obtain something of lasting value, and is not material, or cumulative,  it's value is in question, as I generally reject it, in favor of an easier option. Eventually, over time, one runs out of easy solutions, options. And the work becomes hard, as one is challenged to find value in less. One has to give up the past, comparing hard to easy. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74119
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Sep.05.2007
04:22PM EDT 
vertical line When a Catholic teacher talks Buddhism, he must be wrong for sure, because if he was right, he wouldn't have been a Catholic teacher any more
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74137
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.05.2007
05:46PM EDT 
vertical line Wrong again. Universal bullshit is bullshit regardless.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74141
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.05.2007
10:14PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line  Of course the whole thing has to be done differently. Learn a new language, braille, if God hears, or feels ya, hears through ya.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74146
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Sep.06.2007
05:59AM EDT 
vertical line Metaphysical squirrels let loose in conceptual cages with heavenly music and uncreated light - music an interpretation of vibrations in the ear; colour an interpretation of vibrations in the eye - tweak that sensory apparatus, and hey presto, the universe is another work of art. And I haven't even started on suffering...er wait a second...is this in the right place?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74148
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.07.2007
04:00PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Society is dead.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74160
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.07.2007
05:21PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line That wind, has a way about it, uncontrollable. Like emotions, in people.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74166
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.07.2007
05:35PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line You cannot reason with people's emotions, because they are rooted in fear, that cannot be looked at, easily. Can't even be looked at in the eye, for very long... if you hold the truth. It cannot be looked at easily. It connects everything. Which can be a good thing, if one can make it through the noise, the mind makes, with words, sex, style, the other guy/gal  bashing. If all that stops, the body, begins to speak, trees, rocks, spiders... all of this, is an equal lesson, without words. The mind, becomes, empty.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74167
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.07.2007
06:07PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line what is that lesson Woodsman? can you only have saddness with fear?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74171
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.07.2007
06:37PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line No, sadness and fear are both passing, before the connections appear.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 74178
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this CALLIGRAPHY SCROLL, TRANQUILITY
by George Caso
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s