history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Jul 31 2014 11:44PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Let me tell you about the middle path.

Dressing in rough and dirty garments, letting your hair grow matted,
abstaining from eating any meat or fish, does not clean the one who is deluded.
Mortifying the flesh through excessive... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ALLIEVING SUFFERING A GOOD THING?
vertical line Posted on Jan.28.2008 @ 08:32PM EDT by SIOS2012
I'm not what you'd consider a Buddhist, but I do find many of the teachings of the Buddha very interesting.  One thing that I've never been quite able to understand though (albeit it's a major thing), is the alleviation of suffering.  From what I understand, one of the main tenants of Buddhism is to rid your life of suffering.  The thing I don't get though is, doesn't suffering (overcoming suffering specifically) strengthen the spirit?  Similar to when you exercise, and you tear and damage muscles so that they may grow back stronger, doesn't it work the same way with the spiritual?  Seems to me that avoiding suffering would bring about spiritual atrophy.  If someone could explain this to me, it would be greatly.

-SIOS

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email SIOS2012
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boopoom
Jan.28.2008
11:05PM EDT 
Email boopoom
vertical line

is this phrase help you.....

"accept the suffering is avoiding sufferting itself"

: )   sound confusing but it really streaght forward 

love,boopoom                  access your mind in positive way empower your brain to.............   : )

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78585
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jan.29.2008
03:09AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line there is no one to suffer

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78586
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Jan.29.2008
09:18AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

It is the Buddhist view that suffering is a self inflicted condition based on the wrong view. Our attachments, delusions and angry about the concept of self leads to suffering. We all have hardships but it is up to you if it is suffering.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78587
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from DeZachster
Jan.29.2008
10:55AM EDT 
Email DeZachster
vertical line Is the pain you feel while working out suffering? Seems to me those who suffer at the gym are those who don't want to go/be there and choose to think of it as suffering....like some people I know.. ha ha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78588
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Jan.29.2008
11:44AM EDT 
vertical line

Buddhism is about the truth of knowing who you are. Reduced suffering and strengthened compassion come along the way.

I don't see how suffering could strengthen you spiritually. I don't see how tearing and damaging muscles could ever make them stronger. When sportsmen get repeatedly injured it often means the end of their sport carrier.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78589
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jan.29.2008
12:07PM EDT 
vertical line The middle way is advised.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78590
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jan.29.2008
12:39PM EDT 
vertical line I`ts how you relate to you`re suffering I guess. Like, have you not ever ridden you`re self of suffering be it imagined or othervise? Guess one can meditate to a state where phycical pain becomes electric tingling in the nerve system or something. (Guess it would take many monthly 5 minutes of zazzen for that).

But the logical thing here would be to focus on mind made suffering I say. Like, shit happens, but we choose ourself how we respond to it. Remember once in the army, the officers drove us so far into "suffering" that it became absurd. We were to practice low crawling at the shooting range since it was so difficult to see the targets trough the storming rain anyway. I had a really fun day, comrades whining and complaining. Was a field day for me. Me and my roommate tried to get the rest to join in on "singing in the rain" to no avail the ungrateful bastards:)

Anyway, as I`m well experienced in suffering, I`ll throw in some handy tips for ridding oneself of it:

1. Slam you`re head repeadatly into a wall for a prolonged periode of time. Then savor the absence of pain afterwards, and mindfully notice how insignificant you`re other sufferings become.

2. Sometimes "Dull" sufffering might be nasty hard to get rid of. Then it usually is caused by undone tasks in one way or the other. See, suffering has its functione, as Osho said, the pain is there to make us alert. Then make a "zen practise" of the whole thing. Focus on what makes you unhappy. "Dirty diches - papers to be filed - etc."

Then go at it as a task. A task where you mindfully go abouth doing what you can to rid you`re self of the feeling of micery! The diches can be covered with a blanket so you don`t have to see them! If you drop checking you`re mail, then you don`t have to worry abouth bills you are not aware of!!

But as it becomes harder and harder to ignore or avoid the pain, there is always intoxicating drink or smoke (tolerance for enduring pressing matters can often double or triple if one makes sure to stay in a constant haze of a sort.)

Just remember the overall goal! Thats to make sure to keep you`re self preoccupied for avoiding pain! And remember, there is always possible to postpone anything!

3. If you want to make sure to always be happy for the rest of the life, then you have to buy my book:

"Self inflicted brain surgery for dummies - how to trim you`re brain and triple endorphine production in three simple steps using a toothpick."

Can be ordered at the front, the one with the cool Pinnhead cover.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78591
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.29.2008
01:47PM EDT 
vertical line If you know how to suffer, you would be able not to suffer.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78593
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Jan.29.2008
05:56PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line Look at the 8 fold path, 4 noble turth. All craven = suffering. Let go of all craven. Be as a leaf folting on water. No holding on to.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78608
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.29.2008
05:56PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "there is no one to suffer

"

right

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78609
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.29.2008
05:59PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "No holding on to."

:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78610
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.29.2008
06:00PM EDT 
vertical line Wrong.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78611
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.29.2008
06:07PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Wrong."

what are referring to?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78617
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.29.2008
06:09PM EDT 
vertical line Who are talking to? Require further information or require to feel the journey.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78620
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.29.2008
06:12PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Who are talking to? Require further information or require to feel the journey."

was asking what post were referring to

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78622
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.29.2008
06:13PM EDT 
vertical line The tenants of Buddhism owe back-rent.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78624
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.29.2008
06:15PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Who are talking to? Require further information or require to feel the journey."

"
Right. Correct. Find out.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78625
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.29.2008
06:28PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"
Right. Correct. Find out. "

"
Right. Correct. Find out.
"

that reply doesn't apply

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78629
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.29.2008
06:36PM EDT 
vertical line Reply apply. Oh well. Oh dear. Eye eye. Apple bye bye.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78631
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from SIOS2012
Jan.29.2008
06:52PM EDT 
Email SIOS2012
vertical line Quote: "

Buddhism is about the truth of knowing who you are. Reduced suffering and strengthened compassion come along the way.

I don't see how suffering could strengthen you spiritually. I don't see how tearing and damaging muscles could ever make them stronger. When sportsmen get repeatedly injured it often means the end of their sport carrier.

"

Actually, that's how muscles are strengthened.   When you lift weights  or whatever, the muscles are damaged, but grow back stronger.  Just so ya know.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78635
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jan.29.2008
07:06PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "If you know how to suffer, you would be able not to suffer."

this makes no sense
yes it does

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78636
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jan.30.2008
12:10PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line sois, "does overcoming suffering strengthen the spirit... "here you answer your own question
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 78646
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this I HAVE ARRIVED
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s