history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Oct 31 2014 10:22AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Anyone walking about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha. This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: TO SUPPORT OR NOT TO SUPPORT...
vertical line Posted on Feb.23.2008 @ 12:11AM EDT by A_Pict
OK, so...  I need to find something I can use as a zabuton and either a zafu or a seiza bench.

Because of the limited amount of space in my apartment, a seiza bench would be more practical. However, a zafu may be more comfortable.

I'm not much of an online shopper. The last time I went on an online shopping spree, I racked-up around $15,000 in credit card bills. I've, since then, curbed that 'habit'...

I prefer to buy locally - if for no other reason than to actually see and feel what I'm buying. There's not much of a market for zafus, zabutons, or seiza benches in this area, however...

I've read that artificial materials like foam are bad as they don't provide proper support. OK, I can see that reasoning. Natural materials like buckwheat hulls and whatnot seem to be preferred. Beans are plentiful around here - the local stores provide them in bulk for the Mexican population - and, they can be heated for warmth, if needed :)

Anybody have any ideas? Could something like this easily be hand-made? I'm thinking a pillowcase full of beans... But what of the mat? I'm not generally good at creating things like this. Mechanical things I can tear apart, diagnose, and repair but, I'm not good with a needle and thread...

What do you all use?

There are currently no replies for this topic.
Reply to this Topic

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, MAE CHAN, THAILAND
by Mark Standen
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s