history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Sep 22 2014 02:14PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  In Tokyo in the Meiji era there lived two prominent teachers of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, an instructor in Shingon, kept Buddha's precepts scrupulously. He never drank intoxicants, nor did he eat after eleven o'clock in the morning.... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: FOLOWING BREATH WITH MIND'S EYE PRACTICE
vertical line Posted on Mar.10.2008 @ 12:03AM EDT by tegramon

Hi

How do you follow your breath with your minds eye? Do you "visualize" it? As a vaporous light or something similar?

Tegramon

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email tegramon
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Mar.10.2008
12:45AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line why want do that?
not possible anyway--no such thing as "mind" to do that
what trying to get that dont already have?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79391
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.10.2008
01:01AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The breath is a kind of felt companion, that adjusts to thoughts we have, but rarely of it, rarely thoughts about  just a breath to take and let go. So the breath is a kind of neutral place, of waiting. One breathes in with a certain thought, being aware through the in breath,  one  then reaches a turning after the in breath where there is a peak,  where we no longer need to take in. On the out breath, we allow the thought to dissipate, back out to the world, and on that out breath we breathe out a peaceful letting go, and a thankful heart that can let go of what we think of control.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79392
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.10.2008
09:17AM EDT 
vertical line It's self-help therapy.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79397
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from tegramon
Mar.10.2008
12:13PM EDT 
Email tegramon
vertical line I am only following the PDF guide placed in the the practice sections of the guide. So sorry if I asked something stupid, I am new to zen and still studying.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79400
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.10.2008
02:52PM EDT 
vertical line Do you feel stupid? In comparison with what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79413
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from tegramon
Mar.10.2008
03:49PM EDT 
Email tegramon
vertical line

Quote: "Do you feel stupid? In comparison with what?"

I just asked a simple question. I do not compare myself with others. Each has his own path layed before him. That is what I know. Now ... in the Practice section of this webpage, there lay's a PDF with a guide of Zezen. There writes that the second exercise is to follow your breath with your mind eye. That was my problem, you visualize it?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79416
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Mar.10.2008
03:53PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "

I just asked a simple question. I do not compare myself with others. Each has his own path layed before him. That is what I know. Now ... in the Practice section of this webpage, there lay's a PDF with a guide of Zezen. There writes that the second exercise is to follow your breath with your mind eye. That was my problem, you visualize it?

"

"you" cant do anything
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79417
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from tegramon
Mar.10.2008
05:07PM EDT 
Email tegramon
vertical line

Found the answer in another guide, thanks anyway.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79418
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.10.2008
05:13PM EDT 

"
Should simple questions, problems, have simple answers? I don't know. Other than to say that your question is your answer. I'm aware of the exercise, it's an exercise in attention, one can place attention in anything, anywhere, in particular, in general; it's an exercise to quieten mental processes, but no, I don't visualise breath. Being aware, one can watch breath and see it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79419
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from tegramon
Mar.10.2008
08:08PM EDT 
Email tegramon
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"
Should simple questions, problems, have simple answers? I don't know. Other than to say that your question is your answer. I'm aware of the exercise, it's an exercise in attention, one can place attention in anything, anywhere, in particular, in general; it's an exercise to quieten mental processes, but no, I don't visualise breath. Being aware, one can watch breath and see it. "

"
Should simple questions, problems, have simple answers? I don't know. Other than to say that your question is your answer. I'm aware of the exercise, it's an exercise in attention, one can place attention in anything, anywhere, in particular, in general; it's an exercise to quieten mental processes, but no, I don't visualise breath. Being aware, one can watch breath and see it.
"

Would not had been easier to say this from the start?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79425
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Mar.10.2008
09:53PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line you dont visulize it. you just simply follow the incoming and outgoing breaths.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79427
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from asheera
Mar.15.2008
07:28AM EDT 
Email asheera
vertical line

Some say you should breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth.  The idea is to get all the oxygen you can through the nose, and breath out the co2 through the mouth.

But that's too much movement for me.

I breath in slowly and gently through the nose, and exhale quickly through the nose.

I say breathe in like the gazelle that is hiding in the brush, and out like the tiger that is hunting it.

Shayne would say, "It dunt matter how.  Jus pay attention."  And he's right.  Forget everything else, drop everything else, and concentrate completely on your breathing until there is nothing else, until you are your breath.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79677
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.15.2008
09:08AM EDT 
vertical line pfffffffffffffffffttttttt tt tt pfff f f
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79683
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.15.2008
05:57PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Hey! I can fly! ffft  fffftttt  fffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttTTTTTTTTTTT
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79700
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Mar.16.2008
01:47AM EDT 
vertical line Ouch.. That gotta hurt!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79708
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Mar.16.2008
02:12AM EDT 
Email shayne

Some say you should breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth.  The idea is to get all the oxygen you can through the nose, and breath out the co2 through the mouth.

But that's too much movement for me.

I breath in slowly and gently through the nose, and exhale quickly through the nose.

I say breathe in like the gazelle that is hiding in the brush, and out like the tiger that is hunting it.

Shayne would say, "It dunt matter how.  Jus pay attention."  And he's right.  Forget everything else, drop everything else, and concentrate completely on your breathing until there is nothing else, until you are your breath.

"

"

lets NOT make fun of my spelling ok.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79710
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.16.2008
05:45AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Ouch.. That gotta hurt!:) "

lololol

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79715
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.16.2008
08:51AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Wings Baby!!! 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79727
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN 2
by Atelier Lzc
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s