history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Oct 24 2014 12:09PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  To cling to onself as Buddha, oneself as Ch'an or the way,
making that an understanding, is called clinging to the inward view.

Attainment by causes and conditions, practice and realization,
making this an understanding,... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: LEFT FOR BUDDHA, RIGHT FOR PEOPLE.
vertical line Posted on Mar.10.2008 @ 02:26AM EDT by eohdao
What's the reason for the buddha being depicted with right foot on top of left leg and left hand holding right hand, and zazen guides saying you should do it the other way around?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email eohdao
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from A_Pict
Mar.10.2008
03:53AM EDT 
vertical line

From Zen Meditation In Plain English by John Daishin Buksbazen:

"Once you've seated yourself upon the zafu, place your right foot on your left thigh and the left foot on the right (or vice-versa if more comfortable.)"

"The mudra requires the left hand to be uppermost, since we are subordinating the active principle of the right to the receptive principle of the left. In iconography, conversely, buddhas and bodhisattvas are shown with the right uppermost, indicating their liberating activity."

This is, however, only one interpretation. Take it for what it's worth.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79394
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.10.2008
09:13AM EDT 
vertical line It's interesting the tugs we respond to. And how the 'right' way of doing things is perpetuated, instilling a kind anxiety that 'I must get this right before......' - onr can always rely on the one asking for help to give you someone else's answers. There are those people and buddhas who cannot sit in the full-lotus position or the half-lotus position or the burmese position, or kneel, stand, lie or walk for any length of time yadda yadda yadda. Guides that say you should do this or that this way or the other way are only giving the mind something to worry about, something else to become addicted to. If you can sit, sit. And as far as gurus, anti-gurus, self-help wallahs and books are concerned, take the best and leave the rest. Because it's all nonsense.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79395
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from A_Pict
Mar.10.2008
12:18PM EDT 
vertical line

As I stated before, 'Take it for what it's worth.'

A question was asked. I attempted to answer it. Yes, I used someone else's words. Was that wrong? Was it meant to be a definitive answer? No. There are no definitive answers.

I was expecting others to offer their input.

Guides, manuals, etc. were written for those of us who don't have access to a 'teacher'. For many of us who are just starting out, they are, momentarily,  our only resource. A child learns to speak by mimicking other people's words. Later, when that child grows up, it developes its own speach.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79401
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.10.2008
01:25PM EDT 
vertical line Guides, manuals and suchlike are written to make money. What are you seeking in guides, manuals and suchlike?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79408
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Mar.10.2008
03:41PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line what trying to get that don't already have?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 79414
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from eohdao
Apr.01.2008
02:50AM EDT 
Email eohdao
vertical line Quote: "It's interesting the tugs we respond to. And how the 'right' way of doing things is perpetuated, instilling a kind anxiety that 'I must get this right before......' - onr can always rely on the one asking for help to give you someone else's answers. There are those people and buddhas who cannot sit in the full-lotus position or the half-lotus position or the burmese position, or kneel, stand, lie or walk for any length of time yadda yadda yadda. Guides that say you should do this or that this way or the other way are only giving the mind something to worry about, something else to become addicted to. If you can sit, sit. And as far as gurus, anti-gurus, self-help wallahs and books are concerned, take the best and leave the rest. Because it's all nonsense. "
Damn, I'm becoming anxious because I know I was worrying about something that doesn't really matter and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have worried and I'm doing it all wrong. And now I'm thinking I will never find The Way.
I kinda like knowing some things, though... And I think I kinda didn't suffer.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80399
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Apr.01.2008
03:20AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote:
Damn, I'm becoming anxious because I know I was worrying about something that doesn't really matter and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have worried and I'm doing it all wrong. And now I'm thinking I will never find The Way.
"

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hehehehehe

the thought that "i will never find the way" is the only thing obstructing the obviousness onlyness of whatever it is "you" are apparently looking for.

there is only an idea of a separate individual that can do or have or need anything

all apparent confusion has root in that idea of an individual---yet, the individual has no root anywhere.  "long ago" "you" were told that you were someone who had things to do.  the idea of a "myself" is acquired second hand knowledge. dont agree with this.  all above is gibberish, phony bologna, g@rb@ge. 

without thinking, what is known now? 
if you say "nothing is known" a cat will pee on you
if you say "i know I am only" a cat will pee on you

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80400
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Apr.01.2008
12:41PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "It's interesting the tugs we respond to. And how the 'right' way of doing things is perpetuated, instilling a kind anxiety that 'I must get this right before......' - onr can always rely on the one asking for help to give you someone else's answers. There are those people and buddhas who cannot sit in the full-lotus position or the half-lotus position or the burmese position, or kneel, stand, lie or walk for any length of time yadda yadda yadda. Guides that say you should do this or that this way or the other way are only giving the mind something to worry about, something else to become addicted to. If you can sit, sit. And as far as gurus, anti-gurus, self-help wallahs and books are concerned, take the best and leave the rest. Because it's all nonsense. "
"

It is okay Even One Has Doubts. Advices Offered by Rustic is the best and leave the rest.

It don't matter so long as your are comfortable.

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80419
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.01.2008
03:56PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line No regrets.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80425
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Apr.01.2008
06:03PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line As long as you know your self.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80432
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.01.2008
06:46PM EDT 
vertical line I liked jthabuddHA`s response... at least the part about pissing! Sounded rather "heavy advanced", kinda, pee is cool! Yeah!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80433
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.01.2008
06:49PM EDT 
vertical line And zen should be "not understandable" or something like that! Yeah!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80434
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.01.2008
06:49PM EDT 
vertical line Ok, I`m a moron an proud of it, yeah!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80435
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.01.2008
06:51PM EDT 
vertical line Can`t come up with another posting, nothing to say, yeah!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80436
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Apr.01.2008
07:47PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line hehe
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80438
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.01.2008
07:55PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line drano
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80440
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Apr.01.2008
08:49PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line bueno
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80452
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Apr.01.2008
09:00PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line A lost mine. he he he. Go fine your self. come back to us.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80458
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.01.2008
10:00PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line there's a poosy cat in hair somewhers
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80473
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.03.2008
08:12AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "It's interesting the tugs we respond to. And how the 'right' way of doing things is perpetuated, instilling a kind anxiety that 'I must get this right before......' - onr can always rely on the one asking for help to give you someone else's answers. There are those people and buddhas who cannot sit in the full-lotus position or the half-lotus position or the burmese position, or kneel, stand, lie or walk for any length of time yadda yadda yadda. Guides that say you should do this or that this way or the other way are only giving the mind something to worry about, something else to become addicted to. If you can sit, sit. And as far as gurus, anti-gurus, self-help wallahs and books are concerned, take the best and leave the rest. Because it's all nonsense. "
"
Congratulations, you're the one and only.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80539
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.03.2008
10:45AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Jesus eyes
within it, never dies
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80543
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from eohdao
Apr.04.2008
01:43AM EDT 
Email eohdao
vertical line I was kinda kidding. Hehe. I really don't care. I was just messing with the one who told me I was doing it wrong because i was caring. Mu. But I do care about the right and left. Why does society invent such crazy things. Where did the idea of leftness and rightness meaning these different things come from?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80557
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Apr.04.2008
02:42AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line the body doesnt care about rightness or leftness

only ideas say that things have to be a certain way

the idea that one has to become something

"if only i could sit a certain way THEN i would be _______ "

not a thing has to be done in order to just be

to replace current ideas with new ideas is common

drop all ideas--drop the idea that there are ideas to drop--drop the idea that "you" had ideas to begin with--drop dropping

just be as-you-are (as if anything else can be done, hehe)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80558
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.04.2008
09:38AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I was kinda kidding. Hehe. I really don't care. I was just messing with the one who told me I was doing it wrong because i was caring. Mu. But I do care about the right and left. Why does society invent such crazy things. Where did the idea of leftness and rightness meaning these different things come from? "

Kinda caring or kidding?  Hehe. Who is the one who told you that you were doing it wrong?  People invent things and concepts like right and left in order to communicate with each other and be understood.  Society appropriates the people, the concepts and the things, creating ideals, which it then promotes as norms or attainable perfections to the individual, depending on which fiction is the accepted one.   Your thoughts are not your own, they belong to society.  So, we think society's thoughts, feel society's feelings, experience society's experiences.  

Why can't you [generic sense of 'you'], leave your sensations be?  Why the constant translation of sensation?  Because if you don't continually communicate with yourself you aren't there and this is frightening to the 'you' and society.

Thoughts are thoughts, they are not good, they are not bad.  However, wanting and thinking are the same thing - wanting to understand how to become something different is movement of thought - movement away from your natural state.  As long as you want to change the 'you', the 'you' will continue. There is nothing you can do to achieve any kind of state of understanding, peace or awareness - meditation won't do it, right and left hands and feet won't do it because awareness is when you don't know what you are looking at.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80559
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.04.2008
09:43AM EDT 
vertical line Allready drained, so no problem whatever is posted above.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80561
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from eohdao
Apr.04.2008
11:47AM EDT 
Email eohdao
vertical line This is all very well. But I kinda don't care (and I kinda care, yes.) about thinking and not thinking. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80564
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.04.2008
12:07PM EDT 
vertical line Is it?  What is?  Who cares?  Who's the one doing it right, telling it doing it wrong?  Kinda messing a missmashmess?  hehe? BingoLimbo!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80565
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.04.2008
12:47PM EDT 
vertical line Who cares?.. (Yeah! Cool answer! There might be much wisdom in looking twice at that first sentence and.. Just messing with you, you`ve read it right, I don`t give a flying F... for my part. Not you`re fault, just me being in a crappy mood right now, so I`ll pass the cheap laughs I might have gotten from this by fooling you into thought ponder and nagging
some poor poster that really don`t care. (any answer would have made a good candidate). Who cares? Who gives a shit , Gblah..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80566
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.05.2008
09:31AM EDT 
vertical line Not what I posted.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80586
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from eohdao
Apr.07.2008
01:34AM EDT 
Email eohdao
vertical line Oh, crap. I give up. Cheers!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80618
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.07.2008
09:04AM EDT 
vertical line Hooray! Hurrah! Huzzah!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80619
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Apr.07.2008
04:43PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "awareness is when you don't know what you are looking at
"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvuAyWcitGk

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80644
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this SITASAMVARA
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s