history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Sep 17 2014 09:33AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk asked the priest Kan-feng:
-Bhagavats in the ten directions got one straight road to Nirvana. I dare to ask where that road is?
Kan-feng lifted up his staff, drew a line in the air, and said:
-Here it is.
more...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: MOTORCYCLE ZAZEN
vertical line Posted on Mar.22.2008 @ 10:46AM EDT by asheera

I started riding my motorcycle to work tonight.  A 1979 Honda 750LTD.

There is something soothing about riding a motorcycle.  Almost like meditation.

I've been thinking of it for a while.  Waiting for morning temperatures to be above freezing for the ride home.

Even with thick leather gloves my fingers were cold when I got to work after riding 17 miles.  But my snowmobile suit and helmet kept me warm otherwise.

Gas prices are ridiculous.  $3.60 a gallon for the cheap stuff here around Seattle.  The bike gets 40 mpg, and the car gets 25 mpg.

So this way I can have fun, and save money.  But the dog will not be so happy because i usually bring her to work with me in the summer.  She sleeps in the car, and I take her for a walk in the middle of my shift.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email asheera
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from A_Pict
Mar.22.2008
01:58PM EDT 
vertical line I've often thought about getting another motorcycle. I've had 2 - a Honda CB750 (bored and stroked to 900cc) and a Harley Davidson XLH1000 Sportster. I enjoyed both bikes immensely. I agree with what you say about the riding experience - It is so completely unlike driving a car.

However, after having a very good friend of mine (who served 2-tours of duty in Vietnam) get killed by a drunk driver; having seen someone have to have reconstructive surgery done to their face after being hit by a truck mirror; and having almost been in a few accidents myself, I find the safety factor deterring from riding again.

People simply don't pay attention to their driving. This inattention causes accidents and wrecks everyday. It's dangerous to other drivers and deadly to motorcyclists. I almost got into a wreck just the other day because the other person wasn't paying attention and ran a red light. Inattention caused by distractions can be reduced or eliminated - Don't talk on your cell phone while driving and, for gawdsakes DON'T put a TV in your vehicle for your kids to watch! Teach them to read a book, instead...

I'd better stop now before my rant gets out of control :)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80065
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Mar.22.2008
03:35PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line motorcycles are kewl. i like indians. never had one though.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80073
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from asheera
Mar.25.2008
10:26AM EDT 
Email asheera
vertical line

Indian would be my bike of choice if money was not an object.

The Japanese bikes may not be as popular, in the US, but they are affordable.

I bought my bike twice.  In 1993 I bought it from a friend.  And a few years later its motor was shot, and it didn't pencil out to replace it, so I turned the bike over to the Honda shop so they could part it out. 

They found another motor for it and sold it.  I saw a guy riding around on my bike and told him if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know.  Turns out he did, because his legs were too short for it, and I bought it back for several hundred less than the bike shop had earlier quoted to fix it.

Next year it will be an antique, over 30 years old.

I've had a lot of near misses, and a few accidents.  You really do have to watch your ass out there on the road, but statistically it is no more dangerous to ride a bike than to drive a car.  The causes of accidents are about the same:  excessive speed, overdriving the brakes or headlight, or both, and drinking. 

I'm over 50.  I take it easy.  And you have to be like an Owl, looking all the time in all directions.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80131
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Mar.25.2008
10:54AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line I do not want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motorcycl. I do not want to die,  I just want to ride on my motorcy. -- MU
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80136
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Mar.25.2008
11:06AM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

I was riding at 120 MPH in the flattest lands of western Kansas on my BSA Lighting Rocket (Oil leaking everywhere). A pound and a half June bug came up and hit me square between the eyes and moved me 6 inches back on the seat. At 6-5 and 300 pounds at the time it got my attention. It was a Zen moment.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80137
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from asheera
Mar.26.2008
10:55AM EDT 
Email asheera
vertical line

Quote: "I do not want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motorcycl. I do not want to die,  I just want to ride on my motorcy. -- MU"

Flying into Los Angeles, bringin' in a couple of keys,

Don't check my bags if you please, Mr. Customs Man.

Arlo Guthrie, circa 1970, if I recall well.

We can all go down to Alice's Restaurant and talk about it.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80154
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from asheera
Mar.26.2008
10:59AM EDT 
Email asheera
vertical line Quote: "

I was riding at 120 MPH in the flattest lands of western Kansas on my BSA Lighting Rocket (Oil leaking everywhere). A pound and a half June bug came up and hit me square between the eyes and moved me 6 inches back on the seat. At 6-5 and 300 pounds at the time it got my attention. It was a Zen moment.

"

"

Like a duck on a June Bug,

You should have ducked that June Bug.

The fastest I have ever gone is 115, and on a Honda 750 I had to lie down on the tank, on a long straight road, with my feet on the back peddles too. 

It would zoom right up to 110, but after that it took some time to build speed.

Of course, I was a suicidal maniac with no intention of living to the old age of 30.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80155
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from stephen
Mar.26.2008
12:36PM EDT 
Email stephen
vertical line

I know the June bug did not weigh a pound and a half but that was my subjective feeling. The Zen reflection was on the fact that a tiny insect almost decapitate me. Other things I did not tell you about the experience was that I was buck naked, it was raining and I was high on 3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80157
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA INCENSE HOLDER
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s