history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Jul 25 2014 07:18AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Tetsugen, a devotee of Zen in Japan, decided to publish the sutras, which at that time were available only in Chinese. The books were to be printed with wood blocks in an edition of seven thousand copies, a tremendous undertaking.... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ZEN AND SAMURAI
vertical line Posted on Apr.14.2008 @ 04:22AM EDT by hamish26
Hey all, I was just curious about what sort of information there was out there about the influence that Zen Buddhism had on the Samurai warriors in Japan. And of this influence was it mostly of the Soto or Rinzai sect? thanks
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email hamish26
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.14.2008
12:50PM EDT 
vertical line Here!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80976
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from catalyst8
Apr.16.2008
01:59AM EDT 
Email catalyst8
vertical line The only book I've read on this topic is The Japanese Art of War. The author is Thomas Cleary. If you go to Amazon.com, there seem to be a few books available, one called Samurai Zen by Scott Shaw, one called Samurai Zen: The Warrior Koans by Trevor Leggitt and another called Zen and the Way of the Sword by Winston King. If you search under "Samurai Zen," quite a few choices pop up.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 80996
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN
by Lucy Bishop
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s