history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Apr 25 2014 03:46AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: 'PATAPHYSICS
vertical line Posted on Apr.26.2008 @ 02:24PM EDT by ______
A science of exceptions. The search for imaginary solutions to practical problems. The law governing exceptions. Underpinned by equivalences and the clinamen or slight decline of atoms falling. 'Pataphysics, the greatest of all sciences scoffs at science's immutable laws.

[See 'Refugee The Musical' :
Asylum seekers Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed flee religious persecution upon their mythical winged bike. In the pursuit of freedom they ride across the oceans only to land in Australia and discover that Freedom is a furniture shop in Moorabbin. What's the price of freedom? Will Chris, Bud and Moh get a bulk discount? ]

'Pataphysically valid:
[Note apostrophe]
"Talking about things that are understandable only weighs down the mind and falsifies the memory, but the absurd exercises the mind and makes the memory work."
~Jarry

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.26.2008
03:16PM EDT 
vertical line Practical problem?
Get your imaginary solution here.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81490
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Apr.26.2008
05:42PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line >-(`_`)-<
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Apr.26.2008
07:44PM EDT 
vertical line    
>-(-_-)-<
  _l  `. L
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81494
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
08:25AM EDT 
vertical line 'Pataphor
is to 
Metaphor
what
Metaphor
is to
Reality

'Pataphysical
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81505
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
08:32AM EDT 
vertical line God is so small
I am so tall
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81506
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
08:34AM EDT 
vertical line

Jenny is eleven years old. She lives on a farm in Luxembourg, West Virginia. Today Jenny is collecting eggs from the henhouse. It is 10 a.m. She walks slowly down the rows of cages, feeling around carefully for eggs tucked beneath clucking hens. She finds the first egg in number 6. When she holds it to the light she sees it is the deep tan of boot leather, an old oil-rubbed cowboy boot, creased with microscopic branching lines, catching the light at the swelling above the scarred dusty heel, curled at the cuff, bending and creaking as the foot of the cowboy squirms to rediscover its fit, a leathery thumb and index prying at the scruff, the heel stomping the floor. Victor the hotel manager swings open the door and gives Cowboy a faint smile.

"Take care of yourself, dirt." And he is gone, as they are all gone.

Cowboy stands, almost hitting his head on the overhead light. He is again surprised by his own height, again reminded he is taller than he realizes. He is mildly dizzy, a subtle oscillation of the floor and walls. Suddenly across the room he spots his own face staring back from warped and dusty oblong mirror above the wash basin. His face looks empty, all the light drawn out of it, the lines tired, like slackened cables beneath the skin. He pulls on a jacket and a scratchy but warm poncho and takes a little silver folding blade from a back pocket and tucks it into the crook in his boot. He pulls a string on the overhead bulb and the room is sunk into partial darkness. He patiently waits until he hears Lor's pebble tick against the window. He counts to thirty and then quickly descends the back stairs to the street.

Questions.

Who exists in metaphor? Who in pataphor? Who in reality?

What does Victor mean by "dirt?"

What is the meaning of the line: "And he is gone, as they are all gone?"

Is Cowboy a figment of Jenny's imagination or something else? If not, what else?

What is the relationship of reality to metaphor in general? Of reality to pataphor?

Who was Lor and why did Cowboy count to thirty?

Is it possible for a man to die but live on in metaphor? To die in metaphor but remain alive in reality? To die in pataphor but live on in metaphor? To get sick in reality, die in metaphor and in pataphor remain in perfect health?

What is the second question of this test?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81507
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
08:55AM EDT 
vertical line 'Pataphysical metaphysics

>Physics>
>Metaphysics>
>'Pataphysics>
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81508
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
10:46AM EDT 
vertical line Never-ending corner
Breakers' Man
'Pataphor 'pataphor
Catch as catch can
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81511
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
11:49AM EDT 
vertical line What happens when Lo Pez grows a nose lf so long it breaks off and sprouts a new lizard. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81512
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Apr.27.2008
12:09PM EDT 
vertical line

That's not how it happened. Not for a reason. Not for a purpose. Not to perform a function. Not to fulfill a requirement. Not to please someone. Not to effect something. Not to tell someone something. Not to suggest changes. Not to be a mystical, mysterious or symbolic sign. Not to matter. Not to be.

Why did it happen? Because it was inevitable. Because of contingency. Because of synchrony. Because of the structure of the universe. Because it did.

Ambiguity is the binding steel of the universe. I loved you and you loved me for who knows what reasons. I have left you and you me because I have left you and you me.

The soul is a lie. I loved you because I had to.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81517
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.27.2008
01:35PM EDT 
vertical line Together, we will go beyond the end of time.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81518
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Apr.27.2008
05:25PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line ah ha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 81519
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this I HAVE ARRIVED
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s