history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Jul 30 2014 05:09AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a girl in geisha house hailed the Japanese Zen master Mokudo by name.
He went inside and discovered that the girl was a childhood acquaintance.
The crops had failed one year in their village, and she had become a courtesan... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: BAKSHEESH
vertical line Posted on May.23.2008 @ 02:25PM EDT by ______
Cat push-creeps in from out bedraggled wet and fixes me with the accusing eye of three broody hen strangers in a parliament of rooks gallery debating baksheesh corn out of a cacophonous din absorbed in a violent electrical storm unleashing explosive thunderclaps and blindingly spectacular lightning strikes the air roaring fire-hot and wood boiling bled through a lashing torrent of water - western science's way of telling me to switch off the computer.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.24.2008
05:33PM EDT 
vertical line
My mother has some bad news for me today.  A nephew, diagnosed with schizophrenia and home from hospital yesterday offered to walk his father's dog.  Time passed and his dad starts to worry that he seems to have been gone a long time, so he sets off to look for him.  He finds the dog and then he finds his son.  The dog is going crazy.  His son has hanged himself from the branch of a tree with the dog-lead. He doesn't know how he does it, but dad climbs the tree and saves the life of his son.  A few more seconds and he would have been dead. And I feel the hopelessness, the boy's suffering, the suffering of the family and I imagine what that must be like - finding your child trying to brutally end their physical existence and so young.  And as one thought morphs into another, I wonder what a stranger would do if, out for a walk, they came upon someone trying to end their life. Would they intervene or would they stand aside and allow the consequence of the act, allow the action to play out? Would they have to think before deciding what to do or to not do? To act or not to act? Or would they just act without thought in order to save the life of one so intent on destroying it?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82362
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
06:39PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line once my son was in the river and the current took him down and out..his aunt grabbed him while I stood on shore frozen, unable to move.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82363
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.24.2008
08:11PM EDT 
vertical line
Discovering someone hanging from a tree by the neck alive, thinking attempted suicide would be an assumption, potentially a lie, a wrong judgement, an example of being trapped in conditioned thought, prejudicial mental processes, when what is being witnessed could just as easliy be the result of a game gone wrong, an accident, or attempted murder. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82368
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.24.2008
08:17PM EDT 
vertical line Action as total action, acting happening without anyone being there doing the acting does seem to have an unquantifiable  relationship with thought. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82369
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.24.2008
08:21PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Action as total action, acting happening without anyone being there doing the acting does seem to have an unquantifiable  relationship with thought. "

"seems"

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82370
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.24.2008
08:29PM EDT 
vertical line nowhere news
that is clear
It's not me
who is here

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82371
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.24.2008
08:39PM EDT 
vertical line So who the hell is doing the talking, the typing, the climbing and the swinging, the saving and the dying, the crying and the despairing, the accusing and the loving, and to whom and who is going to answer for whom and how?  This isn't a question for anyone - this is the eye of a muse before bedtime.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82373
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.24.2008
08:41PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "So who the hell is doing the talking, the typing, the climbing and the swinging, the saving and the dying, the crying and the despairing, the accusing and the loving, and to whom and who is going to answer for whom and how?  This isn't a question for anyone - this is the eye of a muse before bedtime."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xIqr-YKBc

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82374
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.24.2008
09:45PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line beautiful shining spring leaves on young limbs make eternal golden rays of light come from earth rising heavenward 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82375
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
09:58PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line :)  he feels familiar
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82376
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
10:02PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line flower
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82378
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
10:16PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line Quote: "
Discovering someone hanging from a tree by the neck alive, thinking attempted suicide would be an assumption, potentially a lie, a wrong judgement, an example of being trapped in conditioned thought, prejudicial mental processes, when what is being witnessed could just as easliy be the result of a game gone wrong, an accident, or attempted murder. 

"

"

rarely do I know if what is written in this place is what experiencied or a story or...whatever?????? but when someone write of something that looks to hurt..I want to comfort... even though maybe not necessary... and the first words written erased..by what or who? for what caused the change? and it is said" even if just a story..."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82380
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
10:17PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

Quote: "Action as total action, acting happening without anyone being there doing the acting does seem to have an unquantifiable  relationship with thought. "

"seems"

"

"

while writing a letter "seems" was written.. and the idea that of course "seems" is not a proper way of writing it............. of course

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82381
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.24.2008
10:34PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line life goes up to the scarlet sky
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82397
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.24.2008
11:37PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"seems"

"

"

while writing a letter "seems" was written.. and the idea that of course "seems" is not a proper way of writing it............. of course

"

"

typo....was "seem" from "Action as total action, acting happening without anyone being there doing the acting does seem to have an unquantifiable  relationship with thought. "

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82400
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.24.2008
11:40PM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

rarely do I know if what is written in this place is what experiencied or a story or...whatever?????? but when someone write of something that looks to hurt..I want to comfort... even though maybe not necessary... and the first words written erased..by what or who? for what caused the change? and it is said" even if just a story..."

"

"

"caused the change" ? ..."caused" ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82401
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.24.2008
11:47PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "beautiful shining spring leaves on young limbs make eternal golden rays of light come from earth rising heavenward  "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17i-0dswg0o

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82402
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
11:56PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

"

"

"

"

why responding?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82403
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.24.2008
11:57PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

"seems"

"

"

"

"

typo....was "seem" from "Action as total action, acting happening without anyone being there doing the acting does seem to have an unquantifiable  relationship with thought. "

"

"

yeah

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82404
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2008
12:06AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

"

"

"

"

why responding?

"

"

what "why' ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82406
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
May.25.2008
12:34AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line D:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82407
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
May.25.2008
01:50AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "life goes up to the scarlet sky "
U in love or something?.. .
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82408
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.25.2008
05:20AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line You got apples?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82414
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.25.2008
08:45AM EDT 

"

"

What is written about a nephew attempting to hang himself from a tree, his father intervening and stopping his son from killing himself, news of the event as told to me by my mother is experience, it's real, and just a story.

And now the father thinks about the years he has heard his son speak of nothing else but ending his life, of a perpetual seeking of blackness; he thinks of the help he has sought for his son from doctors and psychiatrists, [this is the hardest case we have come across sir], medication, heavy-duty anti-psychotic chemical coshes and he thinks of his estranged wife, my sister, her anguish and guilt, his feelings of guilt, collective guilt - 'why is he like this?  it must be something we did or didn't do.'  He goes outward and rails against everybody else who he says doesn't care about his son, a world which doesn't care about anything and the anger washes over a horrible fear he can taste. He sinks further into reverie and thinks what he thinks is the unthinkable, that he could have left him hanging from the tree. It would have been easy, he thinks, just leave him there, let him have what he wants - why didn't he think of that at the time?  He reconstructs the image, the dog-lead ligature, tight, his son's blue face, popping eye-balls, swollen discoloured tongue protruding from a clenched jaw, a gurgling from the throat, the smell of evacuated bowel hanging in the air like rotten fruit.  And he doesn't understand.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82417
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
09:41AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

"

"

What is written about a nephew attempting to hang himself from a tree, his father intervening and stopping his son from killing himself, news of the event as told to me by my mother is experience, it's real, and just a story.

And now the father thinks about the years he has heard his son speak of nothing else but ending his life, of a perpetual seeking of blackness; he thinks of the help he has sought for his son from doctors and psychiatrists, [this is the hardest case we have come across sir], medication, heavy-duty anti-psychotic chemical coshes and he thinks of his estranged wife, my sister, her anguish and guilt, his feelings of guilt, collective guilt - 'why is he like this?  it must be something we did or didn't do.'  He goes outward and rails against everybody else who he says doesn't care about his son, a world which doesn't care about anything and the anger washes over a horrible fear he can taste. He sinks further into reverie and thinks what he thinks is the unthinkable, that he could have left him hanging from the tree. It would have been easy, he thinks, just leave him there, let him have what he wants - why didn't he think of that at the time?  He reconstructs the image, the dog-lead ligature, tight, his son's blue face, popping eye-balls, swollen discoloured tongue protruding from a clenched jaw, a gurgling from the throat, the smell of evacuated bowel hanging in the air like rotten fruit.  And he doesn't understand.  

"

Rustic, are you wanting to continue this conversation?

"

"

"

Rustic, are you wanting to continue this conversation?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82419
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
09:46AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line there is a breathing of sorts... is that what the first lines of this "topic" are? the out breath... you know what "other" experinces in the exhail?  the watching of what you though was "yours" being disbursed out into others? Is that it? why I have nothing of my own?to watch the desires who? has... here is where it is easy for the tears as I'm not quiet used to it... this nondesire  :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82420
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
09:52AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line im sorry... I do feel greedy... I do wish for those to desire to have desires fullfilled... am I the creation of desire? would that not be of sufferring as well then? as you might be well aware... I do not know what is happening.. all these cycles or breatheings... it is like desiring something and watching "other" get it... really Im getting used to it.. really I am
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82421
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
10:00AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

visiting.. arising... like to the very tip of the ocean wave.... not jointed together... in a tiny swirl and then the let go..................................swish.................back into the ocean

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82422
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
10:06AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

Quote: "So who the hell is doing the talking, the typing, the climbing and the swinging, the saving and the dying, the crying and the despairing, the accusing and the loving, and to whom and who is going to answer for whom and how?  This isn't a question for anyone - this is the eye of a muse before bedtime."

"

"

hahahha  This guy feels familiar.. hahaha but in his "Iam poem"... noticed the grass brushing o his face... and the thought he would take the grass out of his bothering.. and he did..........  whos botherings was it then?  do you know?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82424
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
Email Lynnoh

"

"

hahahha  This guy feels familiar.. hahaha but in his "Iam poem"... noticed the grass brushing o his face... and the thought he would take the grass out of his bothering.. and he did..........  whos botherings was it then?  do you know?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82425
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
Email Lynnoh

"

"

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82426
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.25.2008
11:40AM EDT 
vertical line What conversation?  There is no conversation here.  If it's cliches you're looking for, then familiarity only breeds contempt.  Or is that just how it seems?  Who knows.  Or is that who knows?  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82428
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.25.2008
12:21PM EDT 
vertical line When this rustic isn't writing, the creating adopts many forms.  That's all.  Adieu!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82430
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
02:30PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "What conversation?  There is no conversation here.  If it's cliches you're looking for, then familiarity only breeds contempt.  Or is that just how it seems?  Who knows.  Or is that who knows?  "

then you will not mind if I do not respond to any of your posts here again, thank you

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82431
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2008
03:55PM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

"

"

what "bothering" ?...was thought-seen as if "bothering" ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82432
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2008
03:58PM EDT 
Email lehish

Quote: "What conversation?  There is no conversation here.  If it's cliches you're looking for, then familiarity only breeds contempt.  Or is that just how it seems?  Who knows.  Or is that who knows?  "

then you will not mind if I do not respond to any of your posts here again, thank you

"

"

what "again" ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82433
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2008
04:04PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "D:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "

D:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82434
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
04:12PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

"

"

"

"

what "bothering" ?...was thought-seen as if "bothering" ?

"

"

you're right, wasn't bothering

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82435
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.25.2008
04:13PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

"

"

what "again" ?

"

"

like this

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82436
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2008
05:34PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

HahahHahahaha

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82439
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.25.2008
08:07PM EDT 
vertical line Words are to the human consciousness what fragrance is to the flower.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82442
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
May.25.2008
08:34PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Words are to the human consciousness what fragrance is to the flower."

bllalbalablbbblblblblababb

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82445
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.25.2008
08:54PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Cactus flower.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82446
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
May.25.2008
09:19PM EDT 

"

"

"

We all die, no question. One of the people I`ve encountered during this life
hung himself after his friend showed him the the txt messages on his phone
from his girlfriend.
Another, my best friend told him to leave the party, he was not wanted
there by any of us at the party.
This other dude, did not know him that well,  wanted to talk with me, or
someone, one week later he was gone.
A female friend of mine is extraordinary good at saying the worst that comes
to mind. Can even shock me, and probably the family of her late boyfriend
looking for answers.. (I think her her greatest fear today is
beeing seen as a responsible person acountable for her acts. )

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82449
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.26.2008
09:11AM EDT 
vertical line The natural never knows what it will do.  The moment the question '..are you wanting to continue this conversation?' is asked, what was happening is blocked. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82465
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.26.2008
09:12AM EDT 
vertical line This actually happened to me when I was staying in a coffee plantation: a mother started beating a child, a little child, you know. She was mad, hopping mad, and she hit the child so hard, the child almost turned blue. And somebody asked me "Why did you not interfere and stop her?" I was standing there -- I was so puzzled, you see. "Who should I take pity on, the mother or the child?" -- that was my answer -- "Who is responsible?" Both were in a ridiculous situation: the mother could not control her anger, and the child was so helpless and innocent. This went on -- it was moving from one to the other -- and then I found all those things (marks) on my back. So I was also part of that. (I am not saying this just to claim something.) That is possible because consciousness cannot be divided. Anything that is happening there is affecting you -- this is affection, you understand? There is no question of your sitting in judgement on anybody; the situation happens to be that, so you are affected by that. You are affected by everything that is happening there.
~U G
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82466
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2008
11:04AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "The natural never knows what it will do.  The moment the question '..are you wanting to continue this conversation?' is asked, what was happening is blocked.  "

what was blocked?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82467
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2008
11:08AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line and so I showed him my back... the tattoo and he asked..what is it of and I said "a Bodhissattva"..anyone in particular? "anyone"...... blocked like a ti quan do move? you are a Bodhissattva... are we not all?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2008
11:10AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "You got apples? "

slices from the same apple

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82469
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.26.2008
11:11AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "Cactus flower. "

hahaha  Goldie Hawn movie, first arising?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82470
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN
by Peggy Moquay
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s