history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Nov 21 2014 03:23PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a monk paid a visit to Tinh Khong (1091-1170), a Vietnamese Zen master,
who was of the tenth generation of Vo Ngon Thong lineage, and asked:
-From old days it was talked about "direct pointing", what does that mean?
The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: FOR WHO KNOWS WHAT IS GOOD FOR A MAN
vertical line Posted on May.30.2008 @ 03:23AM EDT by glorymind

Ecclesiastes 6

1 There is also another evil, which I have seen under the sun, and that frequent among men:
2 A man to whom God hath given riches, and substance, and honour, and his soul wanteth nothing of all that he desireth: yet God doth not give him power to eat thereof, but a stranger shall eat it up. This is vanity and a great misery.
3 If a man beget a hundred children, and live many years, and attain to a great age, and his soul make no use of the goods of his substance, and he be without burial: of this man I pronounce, that the untimely born is better than he.
4 For he came in vain, and goeth to darkness, and his name shall be wholly forgotten.
5 He hath not seen the sun, nor known the distance of good and evil:
6 Although he lived two thousand years, and hath not enjoyed good things: do not all make haste to one place?
7 All the labour of man is for his mouth, but his soul shall not be filled.
8 What hath the wise man more than the fool? and what the poor man, but to go thither, where there is life?
9 Better it is to see what thou mayst desire, than to desire that which thou canst not know. But this also is vanity, and presumption of spirit.
10 He that shall be, his name is already called: and it is known, that he is a man, and cannot contend in judgment with him that is stronger than himself.
11 There are many words that have much vanity in disputing.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.30.2008
04:49AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line God doesn't give riches, but takes them all away, leaving us without burdens so as to fly up and see clear  into every cause of serendipity. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82768
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
May.30.2008
08:02AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "God doesn't give riches, but takes them all away, leaving us without burdens so as to fly up and see clear  into every cause of serendipity.  "

Serendipity is the richness. It's good to have excuses for it. But feelings are naturally more transient than actually having stuff. Having stuff and sometimes enjoying = biggest win.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82769
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
May.30.2008
08:55AM EDT 
vertical line I realized our true nature is spirit, not body, we are eternal beings. God’s love is unconditional and there’s nothing we can ever do to change that. It is only our illusion that we are separate from God or that we are alone, in fact the reality is we are One with God, and he loves us...

Now if that isn’t a hazard to this country... how are we gonna keep building nuclear weapons, I mean what’s gonna happen to the arms industry when we realize we are all one... It’s gonna fcuk up the economy, the economy thats fake anyway... which woudl be a real bummer. I can see why the government is cracking down on experiencing unconditional love.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it’s real because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly coloured and it’s very loud and it’s fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, “Hey – don’t worry, don’t be afraid ever, because this is just a ride.

And we … kill those people. “Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real.” It’s just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn’t matter, because – it’s just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It’s only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
~Bill Hicks

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82770
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
May.30.2008
10:50AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

well said rustic.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82772
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
May.30.2008
11:11AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line or better yet...........well resaid.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82773
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.30.2008
11:45AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "or better yet...........well resaid."

11:11

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82774
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.30.2008
11:59AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line work clothes
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82775
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
May.30.2008
01:46PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line blue scrubs... the better to change you with my dear
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82776
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
May.30.2008
01:48PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line Id wondered about this chest pain
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82777
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, MAE CHAN, THAILAND
by Mark Standen
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s