history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Nov 24 2014 07:15AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  When Yang-shan Hui-chi (807-883), as a young monk, paid a visit to the Ch'an master
Hsing-k'ung, there was a monk who asked Hsing-k'ung:
-What is the meaning of the Patriarch's coming from the West?
Hsing-k'ung replied:
-Suppose... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: FUNNIES
vertical line Posted on Jun.02.2008 @ 04:19PM EDT by 9999999
THE MONK
A new monk arrives at the old Italian monastery for his celibate life of shared poverty and prayer, and is assigned to help the other monks in copying the old texts by hand. He notices, however, that they are copying from copies, not the original manuscripts. So, the new monk goes to the head monk to ask him about this, pointing out that if there were an error in the first copy, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies. The head monk says, “We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son.” So, he goes down into the cellar with one of the copies to check it against the original. Hours go by and nobody sees him. So, one of the monks goes downstairs to look for him. Hearing sobbing coming from the back of the cellar, he finds the old monk leaning over one of the original books crying, and muttering between tears: “There’s an R! There’s an R!” He asks the old monk what’s wrong, and in a choked voice came the reply, “The original word isn’t “celibate” but “celebrate.”

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email 9999999
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:19PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line A Sunday school teacher asked her little children, as they were on the way to church service, “And why is it necessary to be quiet in church?” One bright little girl replied, “Because people are sleeping.”
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82943
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:19PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples. The nun had posted a note on the apple tray: "Take only ONE. God is watching." Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies. A child had written a note, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82944
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:20PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Attending a wedding for the first time, a little girl whispered to her mother, “Why is the bride dressed in white?” “Because white is the color of happiness, and today is the happiest day of her life.” The child thought about this for a moment, then said, “So why is the groom wearing black?”
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82945
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:20PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line There is an old Zen story where a Master asks a student to grab emptiness. The student makes a gesture of grabbing a handful of empty space. The Master says, "That's nice, but there's an even better way to grab emptiness." He takes hold of the student's nose and twists it. Everything is emptiness!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82946
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:21PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line SO I MARRIED AN ATHEIST
A young lady came home from a date, rather sad. She explained to her mother, “Anthony proposed to me an hour ago.” “Then why are you so sad?” her mother asked. “Because he also told me he is an atheist. Mom, he doesn't even believe there's a Hell!”

Her mother replied, “Marry him anyway. Between the two of us, we'll show him how wrong he is.”
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82947
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:23PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Forget this, and attaining Enlightenment will be the least of your problems.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82948
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:23PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line OLD AGE
A pious man who had reached the age of 105 suddenly stopped going to synagogue. Alarmed by the old fellow’s absence after so many years of faithful attendance the Rabbi went to see him. He found him in excellent health, so the Rabbi asked, “How come after all these years we don’t see you at services anymore?”
The old man looked around and lowered his voice. I’ll tell you, Rabbi,” he whispered. “When I got to be 90 I expected God to take me any day. But then I got to be 95, then 100, then 105. So I figured that God is very busy and must have forgotten about me... and I don’t want to remind Him.”
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82949
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.02.2008
04:27PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line The Yogi walked into the Zen Pizza Parlor and said: “Make me one with everything.” When the Yogi got the pizza, he gave the proprietor a $20 bill. The proprietor pocketed the bill. The Yogi said “Don’t I get any change?” The proprietor said, “Change must come from within.”
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82950
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.02.2008
04:54PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line THE MONK was like a little story
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82957
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.03.2008
01:33AM EDT 
vertical line Gotta follow up a good trend here:)
One day the religion teacher held an elaborate explanation of what would happen when we die. She told the class that in the after life, they`d get big beautiful white wings and would fly around and all of that. When her eyes stopped at Shayne, she said. But YOU little Shayne, being such a naughty boy will get black wings I say! Whereupon Shayne replied. I don't #¤%& care as long as I get to fly!:)
(btw. sorry for missing out on quake lately Shayne, work, work..)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82979
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2008
05:37PM EDT 
vertical line How can you possibly observe your thoughts? You talk as though there is some entity in you separate from thoughts. It is an illusion; your thoughts are not separate from you. There is no thinking. Thought cannot damage you. It is your separative structure trying to control, dominate, censure and use thought that is the problem. Thought by itself can do no damage. It is only when you want to do something with thought that you create problems for yourself.

What is this 'you', as you experience yourself? The 'you' as you know yourself is a product of the momentum of that knowledge that is passed on to us. It has this question which you think is a very intelligent question. Through your demand for an answer to that question it wants to know how to add momentum to that knowledge.

It is not 'you', because 'you' don't exist. There is no individual there at all. Culture, society, or whatever you want to call it, has created 'you' and 'me' for the sole purpose of maintaining its own continuity. But, at the same time, we are made to believe that you have to become an individual. These two things have created this neurotic situation for us. There is no such thing as an individual, and there is no such thing as freedom of action.

There is no sensitivity other than the sensitive nervous system responding to stimuli. So, if you are concerned or preoccupied with the sensitivity of anything else, you are blurring the sensory activity. The eyes cannot see, but the moment you see, the translation of sensory perceptions comes into operation. There is always a space between perception and memory. Memory is like sound. Sound is very slow, whereas light travels faster. All these sensory activities or perceptions are like light. They are very fast. But for some reason we have lost the capacity to kick that [memory] into the background and allow these things to move as fast as they occur in nature. Thought comes, captures it [the sensory perception], and says that it is this or that. That is what you call recognition, or naming, or whatever you want to call it. The moment you recognize this as the tape recorder, the name `tape recorder' also is there. So recognition and naming are not two different things. We would like to create a space between them and believe that these two are different things. As I said earlier, the physical eye by itself has no way of translating the physical perception into the framework of your knowledge.

The fundamental mistake that humanity made somewhere along the line, is, or was, or whatever is the correct verb [chuckles], to experience this separateness from the totality of life. At that time there occurred in man, which includes woman also, this self-consciousness which separated him from the life around. He was so isolated that it frightened him. The demand to be part of the totality of life around him created this tremendous demand for the ultimate. He thought that the spiritual goals of God, truth, or reality, would help him to become part of the `whole' again. But the very attempt on his part to become one with or become integrated with the totality of life has kept him only more separate. Isolated functioning is not part of nature. But this isolation has created a demand for finding out ways and means of becoming a part of nature. But thought in its very nature can only create problems and cannot help us solve them.

We don't seem to realize that it is thought that is separating us from the totality of things. The belief that this is the one that can help us to keep in tune with the totality is not going to materialize. So, it has come up with all kinds of ingenuous, if I may use that word, ideas of insight and intuition.
~U G
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83035
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.04.2008
05:58PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line YES

I am a greedy bastard who is willing to kill all the fish in the sea just so he can run his computer to do this pointless post!  And this greedy bastard has no way of ending itself because the demand the greedy bastard has to end itself is PERPETUATING THE GREED.

"I" can't know what it is like to be thoughtless because "I" is a thought

why even bother? because im fkn greedy!

gratitude to UG
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83036
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.04.2008
05:59PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line There is no "I" really.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83037
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.04.2008
07:32PM EDT 
vertical line Heh.. U clowns..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83039
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.05.2008
02:51AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

haha, yp

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.05.2008
08:47AM EDT 
vertical line Enjoy the show!  Y'all come back soon, y'hear?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83054
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.06.2008
06:33AM EDT 
vertical line

Some more from U. G. Krishnamurti:

I can't say anything about what he meant when he said "I can give it, but can you take it?" but in a way that helped me to formulate my own question. You see, if somebody were to ask me a similar question now, I would say there isn't anything to get from anybody. Who am I to give it to you? You have what I have. We are all at 25 Sannidhi Street, and you are asking me "Where is 25 Sannidhi Street?" I say you are there. Not that I know I am there. This wanting to know where you are -- you are asking that question."

And I liked:

I can say that because unless that alchemy or change in the whole chemistry takes place, there is no way of freeing this organism from thought, from the continuity of thought.

From Mystique of Enlightenment
http://www.well.com/user/jct/mystiq.htm

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83076
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.06.2008
08:23AM EDT 
vertical line This is why you cannot observe and/or control your thoughts. There is nothing at all that you can do to bring about "that alchemy or change in the whole chemistry".
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83081
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN 1
by Atelier Lzc
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s