history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Jul 28 2014 04:44PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.01.2009 @ 09:07PM EDT by chontri

Not to be reached by traveling is the end of the world,
Yet there is no release from sorrow
Unless you reach the end of the world.

The one who is wise and lives... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: HONORING THE BREATH
vertical line Posted on Jun.03.2008 @ 04:22PM EDT by Woodsman
What can be said, to take away suffering? Nothing. Words won't do, can't undo, to ever end the suffering, and release the mind from it's torment.

Just breathe in, a real good deep one... it has it's own way, without the words, or the will getting in the way, of release.

And when the thinking stops, it's as if there has been a death, and a birth, but this birth reflects the outside and the inside being together, as always arising and falling, each of the same place.

Release the suffering,  the words, with each new breath as each new day. Rising with the sun, setting with the moon.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email Woodsman
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.03.2008
05:19PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line there is no separation in the faculty of sight---the eye cannot separate itself from the image

there is no separation in the faculty of sound-- the ear cant separate itself from noise

there is no separation in the faculty of touch--the finger cant separate itself from the sensation

can the tongue separate itself from the taste?

can the nose separate itself from the smell?

where does that leave "you"?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82993
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.03.2008
05:19PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line not asking anyone
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82994
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.03.2008
05:21PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line there is no separation in the faculty of thought (if there even is that faculty ?_?)-- "you" cannot separate "yourself" from thought because "you" is a thought
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82995
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.03.2008
05:32PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The mind works, in accordance with the breath, in the acceptance of the little that is needed as a taking in. Even less as a letting out, or letting go, of any hint of suffering,  or rejection of the simple truth of united interconnectedness. There is no need "to be" one, one already is, awake.

a deep breath comes in, as a welcoming reminder of validation, after what has been thought, is released into the blue, the sky above, a home of arisen life, a risen love.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82996
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.03.2008
06:12PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "there is no separation in the faculty of thought (if there even is that faculty ?_?)-- "you" cannot separate "yourself" from thought because "you" is a thought
"

Moses, holy or not?

Oh ship, I just dropped my carrot.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82998
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.03.2008
08:19PM EDT 
vertical line I`d eat it. I mean, even thou it`s been on the ground and all... Eh... That was all.. "Cough"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 82999
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.04.2008
06:26AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "the finger cant separate itself from the sensation"

"the finger cant separate itself from the sensation"

Yes, it can. As written you've already separated it. You know the finger is not the sensation. Finger is a thought-noun. And there is the finger-associated stimulation (memory of which is another thought-noun). There is the separation.

Quote: "where does that leave "you"?

there is no separation in the faculty of thought (if there even is that faculty ?_?)-- "you" cannot separate "yourself" from thought because "you" is a thought
"

"where does that leave "you"?

there is no separation in the faculty of thought (if there even is that faculty ?_?)-- "you" cannot separate "yourself" from thought because "you" is a thought
"

You're right.

But I would say, "you is in every thought". That is with every experience. This is a natural separation.

I am the sufferer and the enjoyer: this is the source of all meaning and intention.

We never have personal (my) control through anything but the body: I am the body.

Intellectualizing the invalidity of the self-body association (...etc) is done in a context (in the mind) that through weaker inferences limits the self to the body.

Put another way: anything else is even more distant from natural perception. And natural perception (the kind that we have most of the time) suggests our embodiment.

(I am) exactly what-where my thought-experience suggests me to be. All else is (experienced as) a lie.

Quote: "What can be said, to take away suffering? Nothing. Words won't do, can't undo, to ever end the suffering, and release the mind from it's torment. "

Words can be calming.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83010
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2008
07:55AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Yes, it can. As written you've already separated it. You know the finger is not the sensation. Finger is a thought-noun. And there is the finger-associated stimulation (memory of which is another thought-noun). There is the separation.

"

"

You're right.

But I would say, "you is in every thought". That is with every experience. This is a natural separation.

I am the sufferer and the enjoyer: this is the source of all meaning and intention.

We never have personal (my) control through anything but the body: I am the body.

Intellectualizing the invalidity of the self-body association (...etc) is done in a context (in the mind) that through weaker inferences limits the self to the body.

Put another way: anything else is even more distant from natural perception. And natural perception (the kind that we have most of the time) suggests our embodiment.

(I am) exactly what-where my thought-experience suggests me to be. All else is (experienced as) a lie.

Quote: "What can be said, to take away suffering? Nothing. Words won't do, can't undo, to ever end the suffering, and release the mind from it's torment. "

Words can be calming.

"

How do you know the finger is not the sensation?  The only way you could possibly know anything is through your translating of sense-data.  The translator.  

You is not in every thought. 

The enjoyer and the sufferer aren't there. 

This is nonsense because what invalidity is believed is a translation.  There is how you come to believe that the mind is a context.  

(I am) exactly what-where my thought-experience suggests me to be. 

If you were able to experience natural perception which is not the kind we have most of the time you wouldn't write such crap.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83011
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2008
08:34AM EDT 
vertical line There is no such thing as total attention, at all. It is just not possible. For example, if you look at that curtain which is moving with the wind. It is the one thing that is demanding your attention. I never tell myself what the eyes are looking at and there is no way I can be separated from what is there. I cannot separate myself from what the eyes are looking at unless there is a need for that. And that need arises only from somebody else who asks me something. Do you understand? So never are my actions self-initiated. Never. So, the moment the thought is born there, the action is over. The separation occurs only when the knowledge comes in and tells me that "that is a white curtain." You see, otherwise where is the need for me to tell myself that? So, why we do it is very simple. It is because we have to maintain the continuity of knowledge. That is the only reason. For example, you say that "that is white and that is blue, you are this and that" and you go on and on and on. That need is the only thing that is there; it is not the "I", not the Self, not the Atman. Nothing is there, except the need to maintain the continuity of the knowledge you have about things out there and the things here (pointing to himself).
U G
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.04.2008
12:53PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

You're right.

Words can be calming.

"

How do you know the finger is not the sensation?  The only way you could possibly know anything is through your translating of sense-data.  The translator.  

This is nonsense because what invalidity is believed is a translation.  There is how you come to believe that the mind is a context.  

If you were able to experience natural perception which is not the kind we have most of the time you wouldn't write such crap.

"

I know what you're talking about. It's like walking without thinking.

But I'd say not that "I" doesn't exist - intention and awareness are there - but that it's a different "I" - like a different part of the mind.

The conceptualizer may be somewhere else (still mine - like the walker).

Also, impulses come from inherently different parts of the body. Maybe as babies we learn what's where. But this association (in my mind at least) is immediately usable information. Eg. I'm able to respond to pain impulses knowledgably (without need to 'invoke' memory).

When there is thought, it is always (and immediately) known to be mine. When there is joy, it is also mine. It's quite different from proposed 'other's joy'. When there is sight (of curtain), I never know it not to be my sight: eg. my orientation relative to the curtain is immediately available information.

Also, you are not startled when you see a curtain. Without thinking, it is always familiar to you.

It's not nonsense because that 'translation' is natural and immediate. Methinks denying it is non-sense: the translator is always there. Besides maybe in sleep, there is always "mineness" (of experience).

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83025
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.04.2008
01:15PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Hachoo!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83028
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.04.2008
02:47PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

You're right.

Words can be calming.

"

"

I know what you're talking about. It's like walking without thinking.

But I'd say not that "I" doesn't exist - intention and awareness are there - but that it's a different "I" - like a different part of the mind.

The conceptualizer may be somewhere else (still mine - like the walker).

Also, impulses come from inherently different parts of the body. Maybe as babies we learn what's where. But this association (in my mind at least) is immediately usable information. Eg. I'm able to respond to pain impulses knowledgably (without need to 'invoke' memory).

When there is thought, it is always (and immediately) known to be mine. When there is joy, it is also mine. It's quite different from proposed 'other's joy'. When there is sight (of curtain), I never know it not to be my sight: eg. my orientation relative to the curtain is immediately available information.

Also, you are not startled when you see a curtain. Without thinking, it is always familiar to you.

It's not nonsense because that 'translation' is natural and immediate. Methinks denying it is non-sense: the translator is always there. Besides maybe in sleep, there is always "mineness" (of experience).

"

It can't be experienced.  Whatever one does is an obstacle to what one wants. Awareness, attention, choiceless awareness, fancy terms for a not knowing - not knowing what is being looked at - when the curtain is not familiar at all, when the being is as though in a state of wonder, wondering.  There is only the possibility of denying when there is the continual demand to experience, to recognise and name.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83030
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.04.2008
03:05PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Hachoo!!! "
Bless you! Pollen?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83032
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.04.2008
07:31PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Hachoo!!! "
Bless you! Pollen?
"

No, words.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83038
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.05.2008
02:43AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "Hachoo!!! "
Bless you! Pollen?
"

hehehe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83047
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.05.2008
08:55AM EDT 
vertical line Honouring the Halitosis.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83055
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.06.2008
06:28AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "It can't be experienced.  Whatever one does is an obstacle to what one wants. Awareness, attention, choiceless awareness, fancy terms for a not knowing - not knowing what is being looked at - when the curtain is not familiar at all, when the being is as though in a state of wonder, wondering.  There is only the possibility of denying when there is the continual demand to experience, to recognise and name."

Always an obstacle? Effective operation is conceptualization and pursuit. Even if you want desirelessness, you'll have to know how you're (not) getting it.

Desire creates separation. But I would say desirelessness is not exactly bliss. Bliss requires ownership, and gratitude is desire.

And... the curtain's attributes are available at first sight (semi-solid object). Look at a table - before trying, you know it's a solid object.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83075
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.06.2008
08:14AM EDT 
vertical line Oh yes, always an obstacle with 'attributes'.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83077
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.06.2008
11:16PM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Oh yes, always an obstacle with 'attributes'. "

Always there? Nihilism. (Denial)

When pain is pain and pleasure is pleasure: Pragmatism, hedonism and rationalism. (Real)

Obstacle to what?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83104
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.06.2008
11:44PM EDT 
vertical line Guys, guys, you gotta watch this!

http://www.projectcamelot.net/norway.html

Can`t friggin belive it:) Lol, why didn`t I come up with that:) Jizes, Baneheia, thats thick. Some poor Norwegian politician are gonna get a real kewl start on his election campaign I suspect (at least after I sent this link to national paper VG`s money tip:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83105
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.07.2008
07:43AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

When pain is pain and pleasure is pleasure: Pragmatism, hedonism and rationalism. (Real)

Obstacle to what?"

Answer your own questions.  Should keep you busy for a while, you've got enough of 'em.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.08.2008
04:23AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

Obstacle to what?"

Answer your own questions.  Should keep you busy for a while, you've got enough of 'em.

"

"

Bare witness, you can't handle the truth.

Obstacles? The path is between the walls. Just walk.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83209
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.08.2008
07:28AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Hachoo!

Bless me father for I have sneezed.

Hachoo! Hachoo!

Ya know.. more.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83221
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.08.2008
07:46AM EDT 
vertical line He handles the truth between walls. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83223
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.08.2008
09:40AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "He handles the truth between walls. "

What else? No better truth than the walls.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83255
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.08.2008
11:04AM EDT 
vertical line No path. No walls. No handling. No handler. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83258
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.08.2008
11:09AM EDT 
vertical line Unless you think that truth can be buttered. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83259
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jun.08.2008
08:44PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The bread of life, is a continual service offering.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83310
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.09.2008
03:20AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "No path. No walls. No handling. No handler. "

True, but 'meaning' is divisive. When anything can be said, the intent is (correctly) self-perpetuation.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83311
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.10.2008
01:12PM EDT 
vertical line
"Bare witness, you can't handle the truth."

Yes, you're right/real/meaning/full/less/messy/ness.  Nothing to declare : the truth is unmanageable; it cannot be indexed, pulled, pushed, ruled, filed, defiled, stamped, briefed, debriefed, arrested, asphyxiated, defibrillated, numbered, embossed, categorised, held with or without a handle.

However, this the lie of the true truth : to handle and be handled by a you - the generic you/one, pointing at a me.  There's a lot about - not a thing to do with nihilism, it's a boggling of big I bogies.  

Here's a skinny bare-arsed runny truth: you is/are the clown and the heckler. When you believe you want another knob of truth to butter those fingers with, think about it, carefully, look around and imprison your binary number fantasy yip truth.

; see being you ;

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83322
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.10.2008
02:45PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: " When you believe you want another knob of truth to butter those fingers with, think about it, carefully, look around and imprison your binary number fantasy yip truth"
Diarrhea Remidies:
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83324
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.10.2008
02:55PM EDT 
vertical line Amazing what can bring the squits on - take plenty fluids, adequate bed-rest - you should feel better soon. Pat on the head.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83325
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.10.2008
02:58PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

it was for this gush:

Quote: " When you believe you want another knob of truth to butter those fingers with, think about it, carefully, look around and imprison your binary number fantasy yip truth"

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83326
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.10.2008
03:16PM EDT 
vertical line I couldn't care less what you think it was for. It wasn't addressed to you - maybe you thought it was, so maybe it is, hell fire. Anyway, at least you have a reason to post some more irrelevant silly drivel - flame away.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83327
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.10.2008
03:21PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line "silly drivel":

Quote: " When you believe you want another knob of truth to butter those fingers with, think about it, carefully, look around and imprison your binary number fantasy yip truth"

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83328
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.10.2008
03:24PM EDT 
vertical line You're entitled not to understand. Flame on.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83329
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.10.2008
03:26PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

hahohahahoahahaha

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83330
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.10.2008
03:29PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line D:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83331
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.10.2008
03:47PM EDT 
vertical line hahohahahoahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83332
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.10.2008
03:52PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

hahahahahaha

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83333
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.10.2008
04:15PM EDT 
vertical line 'ave a banana
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83334
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Satori-now
Jun.13.2008
12:55PM EDT 
vertical line

Inspiring and illuminating reflections,

quotes, poems, lyrics, texts on acceptance, awakening, awareness, freedom, God, letting go, life, love, meditation, non-attachment, perception, transformation, ...

that crack open the Universe and enlighten the Mind.

http://luminousinspirations.blogspot.com/

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83368
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Jun.13.2008
12:58PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: Woodsman

Here's your link, nice and working: link.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83370
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 77 zen ror
Jun.18.2008
06:32PM EDT 
Email 77 zen ror
vertical line I see you all still have woulderful fun. So good to see QQ you all. Take care.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83462
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN SETTING I
by Packard
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s