history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Dec 18 2014 09:25AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  "But," asked Vaccha persistently, "when one who has this emancipation of mind
(freed from self) dies, where does he go, where is he reborn?
The Buddha replied:
"The word 'reborn' does not fit the case."
"Then he is not reborn?"
"To... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: RE-INCARNATION
vertical line Posted on Jun.14.2008 @ 03:38PM EDT by Mika-san
I am interested to know what one should do when one learns how to re-call memories of previous incarnations. It can be very distracting from day-to-day living. It can cause many problems and difficulties. Also, there is always a need to verify and confirm these memories, although that does tend to be reduced over time. Does anyone know of an international forum, wherein Zen-Buddhist monks from Japan participate, and can read English? I have some past-life memories from Southern Japan from eight-hundred years ago, wherein I was a monk at a monastery outside of the Prefect of Osaka. I believe the monastery still continues to exist, although not at its former location, but within a three-hundred kilometre radius of the Prefect of Osaka. In that lifetime, my name was: Akira Katsumi.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email Mika-san
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.14.2008
04:48PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Who are you now?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83387
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.14.2008
07:43PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line Who am I now? I am that I am! I am I! As I explained quite plainly: I am referring to re-incarnational memories, memories of other life-times. In those life-times, I was something different. I was different in every life-time, but always quite similar nonetheless. I am Michael this life-time, but my meditations have allowed me to learn that I was different in other life-times, and because of that, I am different, now. In summation, what or who, I am now, is complicated and difficult to explain. It would have to involve a complete review of all my incarnations, and even then, it would lead to a greater personality, or energetic-system, which contains all the memories of these personalities that were once ego/present-personalities.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83390
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mslapik
Jun.15.2008
12:51AM EDT 
Email Mslapik
vertical line I actually don't believe in reincarnation. I personally believe reincarnation was a metaphor for the wheel of life, or maybe a sort of sugar that got the medicine in. I mean, how do you know its true? Heck, I DON"T EVEN KNOW IF YOU'RE REAL. The unknowing concept I feel is the fundamental concept in Buddhism. (see my post "my understanding")
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83403
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.15.2008
08:42AM EDT 
vertical line Could've been a mosquito, a rat, a worm, a slug - could've dreamed a slug's life, a rat's, a mosquito's, a worm's life in a lifetime.  This life is like a slug's life - just as good and bad, a reinterpretation of slime, no better, no worse, with no more importance than any other life. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83410
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.15.2008
03:40PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Who am I now? I am that I am! I am I! As I explained quite plainly: I am referring to re-incarnational memories, memories of other life-times. In those life-times, I was something different. I was different in every life-time, but always quite similar nonetheless. I am Michael this life-time, but my meditations have allowed me to learn that I was different in other life-times, and because of that, I am different, now. In summation, what or who, I am now, is complicated and difficult to explain. It would have to involve a complete review of all my incarnations, and even then, it would lead to a greater personality, or energetic-system, which contains all the memories of these personalities that were once ego/present-personalities. "

What is "complicated "?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83420
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.15.2008
06:18PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line When I said "complicated", I meant that it might not be possible to describe all that I can re-call in a few words or less. I have learned that the "previous"-personalities travel a journey described by the Tibetans as "Bardo", and upon completion of said journey, return to a greater-self, that might be described as a "Whole Personality". This is the best that I can do for now. In the meantime, does anyone know of Japanese zen-monks, at monasteries in Southern Japan, that can read and write in English, and whom can read this text?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83422
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.15.2008
07:42PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "I have learned that the "previous"-personalities travel a journey described by the Tibetans as "Bardo", and upon completion of said journey, return to a greater-self, that might be described as a "Whole Personality"."

if it appears as if there's any thing left, this isn't it

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83428
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.15.2008
10:19PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line Would you be so kind as to clarify the preceding statement. In the meantime, I continue to wait for an Engllsh-speaking Japanese zen-monk to see this, and respond.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83431
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from the alan
Jun.15.2008
10:47PM EDT 
Email the alan
vertical line

You will find the "Ignore" option (to the left of each posting) quite useful.

Al

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83433
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.15.2008
11:37PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "

You will find the "Ignore" option (to the left of each posting) quite useful.

Al

"

hahahahahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83437
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.16.2008
01:27AM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line I have not investigated or considered the "ignore" option so kindly brought to my attention as I am trying to be polite. That having been said, it is a useful option, and worthy of further consideration.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83441
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.16.2008
07:50AM EDT 
vertical line What happens when you aren't trying to be polite?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83442
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.16.2008
09:03AM EDT 
vertical line You are  "interested to know what one should do when one learns how to recall memories of previous incarnations".

Go for a walk; dig the vegetable patch; chop firewood, water the plants; shop for groceries; feed the birds; drink a cup of tea, coffee, ginger beer or other beverage; feed the birds; eat a meal; look at the sky; stand in the rain; drink a cup of tea; sleep; feed the furry beings; shower, bathe; close eyes, open eyes; lean into the wind; run up and down a hill; dive into a river; swim a lake - I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83446
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.16.2008
09:57AM EDT 
vertical line
Ah

thread your fingers in the air; thread your toes in the grass; hug a tree; sow seeds; bake bread; write a letter; read a book; talk to the neighbour; play a record; tidy desk; lie down; get up; travel a journey; scythe the orchard; charm the birds; switch computer off; switch computer on; sing a song; wave/smile to passer-by; polish glass; listen to church bells; smell the honeysuckle; listen to call to prayers; watch an ant; dance
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83447
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.16.2008
10:46AM EDT 
vertical line "Ignore" is never an option. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83448
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.16.2008
01:32PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83450
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.17.2008
01:58AM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line When I am not trying to be polite, I am out-spoken and blunt. If I am trying to be polite, it is because I am annoyed that no one has even attempted to answer and respond to my inquiry about how to locate an English-speaking Japanese zen-monk!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83451
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.17.2008
10:37AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "When I am not trying to be polite, I am out-spoken and blunt. If I am trying to be polite, it is because I am annoyed that no one has even attempted to answer and respond to my inquiry about how to locate an English-speaking Japanese zen-monk!"

I don't know who here fits your discription. but the discussion of Bardo is very interesting as my step son was just murdered two days ago and "bardo" came up. I'm sorry I cannot continue this conversation further. good luck in your journey to find who it is you want to know.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83452
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.17.2008
10:42AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line san-san
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83453
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.17.2008
11:09AM EDT 
vertical line contact: Gudo Nishijima
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83455
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.17.2008
03:11PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line I would be very interested to read more about this Mr. N.. If possible, would you be so kind as to elaborate further? I would appreciate it greatly. Mika-san
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83456
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.17.2008
04:01PM EDT 
vertical line Follow the links to dogensangha for further info - email Nishijima from his blog.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83457
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.17.2008
07:31PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "If I am trying to be polite, it is because I am annoyed that no one has even attempted to answer and respond to my inquiry about how to locate an English-speaking Japanese zen-monk!"

"annoyed" was an opportunity which seeking information, for verifying memory, was as if blind

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83459
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Jun.18.2008
01:12PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Memories Incarnation Karma Accounts- So Answers Needed

Recall your previous lives to reduce your existing problems?

This life-stream flows ad infinitum, as long as the muddy waters of ignorance and craving feed it.

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83460
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.19.2008
05:04PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line I am less involved with the present than before I began to re-call previous incarnations, and I will admit that. However, I can say that I am involved with a development that involves what could be described as a greater-present. It just takes some time to learn how to handle the memories and not let the previous lifetime-memories interfere with day-to-day activities. It can be a challenge, on occaision.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83465
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jun.19.2008
05:18PM EDT 
vertical line I was Japanese zen-monks in past life. How may I help?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83466
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jun.19.2008
08:57PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line interesting description of reincarnation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.19.2008
10:12PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line To the individual whom continues to ask: Who are you now? Perhaps you might like to help with an answer. To the individual whom maintains to have been a Japanese zen-monk in another incarnation: You may help me by finding the new location of that monastery, that I re-call, from an incarnation in Japan, eight-hundred years ago. Mika-san
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83470
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.19.2008
10:25PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

what is asking for help for verifying memories which aren't  

maybe focusing on memories  assists avoiding fear ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83471
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jun.19.2008
11:38PM EDT 
vertical line Can recall landmarks, Mika-san?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.20.2008
04:56AM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line I do not believe the monastery is still there as it would have to be a part of urban Osaka. I do believe it still exists, but would have been moved by now to another location.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83474
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Jun.20.2008
12:31PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Quote: "I am less involved with the present than before I began to re-call previous incarnations, and I will admit that. However, I can say that I am involved with a development that involves what could be described as a greater-present. It just takes some time to learn how to handle the memories and not let the previous lifetime-memories interfere with day-to-day activities. It can be a challenge, on occaision."

Maybe It's Katsumi Akira- Search Archives.Name never dies

Allow me to share your happiness, once you found it.

Good Luck

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83475
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.20.2008
02:48PM EDT 
vertical line Osaka, has undergone many changes in 800 years - most recently it was firebombed in WW II, but your monastery is still imaginable - you think that it was moved somewhere else but the constituent parts of a derelict, bombed out or gutted monastery would more likely be recycled to build another building or road.

First you are annoyed at the lack of an English speaking Japanese zen monk because it is such a one that you believe can help you [you have, after all, tried to be polite]. Contact details have been supplied - have you contacted Gudo Nishijima? What does he say? Does he have any advice for you?

You believe you know who you were 800 years ago, a belief which is interfering with your daily living 'in the present', to the extent that you have no idea who you are today.

Now however, you are requiring help from "the individual whom...to find the new location of that monastery". This is a difficult undertaking without landmarks, a post/zip code, eyewitness evidence and an expense account.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83476
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jun.20.2008
05:10PM EDT 
vertical line Aha, I know monastery! In past life I was frog in pond. Not nickname, I was actually frog in pond. One day, monk come sit by pond. I say, "come in pond monk, water is fine!" Monk say, "I AKIRA KATSUMI!!" Then monk have heart attack and die. Ring a bell?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83477
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jun.20.2008
08:07PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line  :)))))hehehe))))))))
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83479
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.20.2008
11:28PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Beliefs
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83481
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.21.2008
10:08AM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line I do not believe that I have claimed that, "I do not know who I am",etc..., or proven such through my actions. I am aware that my request is a difficult one though.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83482
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.21.2008
12:51PM EDT 
vertical line http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=%C2%A8japanese+zen+monasteries&btnG=Google-s%C3%B8k&meta=
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lionel
Jun.21.2008
08:23PM EDT 
Email Lionel
vertical line Why do people tend to live in the past or the future...? Even now is ticking away......
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83486
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Jun.21.2008
10:35PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Quote: "Why do people tend to live in the past or the future...? Even now is ticking away......"

Living Ignorantly  One Never Escape Life-flux

"Tis Ignorance entails the dreary round - now here,

now there - of countless births and deaths."

"But no hereafter waits for him who knows!"

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83488
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.22.2008
09:14PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line Do some of you talk so as to hear the sound of your own voices? Mika-san
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83492
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Jun.23.2008
11:51AM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Quote: "Do some of you talk so as to hear the sound of your own voices? Mika-san"

A wise man will be the master of his Mind. Instead Keeping AbsolutelySilent And Nonchalant often proves one a fool.

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83496
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.23.2008
12:41PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Do some of you talk so as to hear the sound of your own voices?

Mika-san
"

Who knows the reasons why? Some talk so as to hear the sound of silence. Some talk in reply to your questions. Some talk to disappear. Some tap keyboards and leave messages on message-boards. Who knows? Would some voicestalk make any difference to you regarding the responses you aren't hearing? Is this post acceptable in thine eyes?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83497
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.23.2008
01:28PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "Do some of you talk so as to hear the sound of your own voices? Mika-san"

I don't know, but sometimes when you talk I hear the sound of my voice.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83499
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.23.2008
01:38PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "I do not believe the monastery is still there as it would have to be a part of urban Osaka. I do believe it still exists, but would have been moved by now to another location."

would it have been moved, carefully, from one side to the other?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83500
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.23.2008
01:54PM EDT 
vertical line I don't hear any voices but there's plenty noise - like the sound fingernails make scraping along a blackboard. There's the silence in each word and a non-hearing solitude. That's about it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83502
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.23.2008
03:05PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line whoever is talking i only hear my own ideas
other than that its just noise
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83503
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.23.2008
03:06PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line my ideas being the accumulated ideas of others
i really have nothing original and nothing of my own
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83504
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jun.23.2008
03:10PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line my posts are like ghosts
i swear i type them
but i come back and they are gone!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83505
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from the alan
Jun.23.2008
03:21PM EDT 
Email the alan
vertical line

Quote: "my posts are like ghosts
i swear i type them
but i come back and they are gone!
"

Please observe the last bullet point of "Posting Guidelines & Rules".

Alan

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83506
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jun.23.2008
04:59PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Do some of you talk so as to hear the sound of your own voices? Mika-san"

Pitter patter of keyboard most soothing!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83507
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.24.2008
10:46AM EDT 
vertical line Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
[Tractatus 7]
~Ludwig Wittgenstein

It is not speaking that breaks our silence, but the anxiety to be heard. The words of the proud man impose silence on all others, so that he alone may be heard. The humble man speaks only in order to be spoken to. The humble man asks nothing but an alms, then waits and listens.
~Thomas Merton
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83530
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from the alan
Jun.24.2008
12:04PM EDT 
Email the alan
vertical line

Quote: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
[Tractatus 7]
~Ludwig Wittgenstein

It is not speaking that breaks our silence, but the anxiety to be heard. The words of the proud man impose silence on all others, so that he alone may be heard. The humble man speaks only in order to be spoken to. The humble man asks nothing but an alms, then waits and listens.
~Thomas Merton
"

Dude, give it a break. Create a new thread and whine about it in there, leave this one alone. I will continue to delete any more posting on this thread that has nothing to do with the original question which is reincarnation.

Alan

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83532
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jun.24.2008
12:05PM EDT 
vertical line Ok, I`ll zip it:) Me for my part really do not want to be taken seriously. That would be.. not right for me, power corrupts and there is kinda really nothing to zen besides developing awarness/ meditating IMO. Maybe be better at motivating eachothers to sit?..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83533
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jun.24.2008
12:33PM EDT 

Quote: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
[Tractatus 7]
~Ludwig Wittgenstein

~Thomas Merton
"

Dude, give it a break. Create a new thread and whine about it in there, leave this one alone. I will continue to delete any more posting on this thread that has nothing to do with the original question which is reincarnation.

Alan

"

I must've missed something because I thought I'd responded to the creator of a thread on reincarnation who was seemingly concerned about "some of you talking so as to hear the sound of your own voices", [not construed as 'whining'], which appeared to advance the dialogue somewhat. Anyway, notwithstanding the reincarnation of an old post as a new topic, the destiny of all posting, is deletion.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83536
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from the alan
Jun.24.2008
12:36PM EDT 
Email the alan
vertical line

Quote: ".........

I must've missed something because I thought I'd responded to the creator of a thread on reincarnation who was seemingly concerned about "some of you talking so as to hear the sound of your own voices", [not construed as 'whining'], which appeared to advance the dialogue somewhat. Anyway, notwithstanding the reincarnation of an old post as a new topic, the destiny of all posting, is deletion.
"

And so have I, I'll take that back and apologize. Thanks for the clarification.

Alan

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83537
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.24.2008
12:40PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

when reading this thread.. and reading bullet point... I wrote bullet point because my son was shot in the neck on fathers day and it would seem that a topic of reincarnation and hearing the same words ...seemed appropriate..though I'm not inclined to do this again..thank you Alan for all your support

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83538
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from the alan
Jun.24.2008
12:42PM EDT 
Email the alan

when reading this thread.. and reading bullet point... I wrote bullet point because my son was shot in the neck on fathers day and it would seem that a topic of reincarnation and hearing the same words ...seemed appropriate..though I'm not inclined to do this again..thank you Alan for all your support

"

"

Thanks for the clarification Lynnoh. I'll follow this up in a separate thread.

Alan 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83539
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jun.24.2008
12:48PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line what clarification?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83542
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Jun.24.2008
08:21PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line I do appreciate your efforts, all of you. Mika-san
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 83565
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION II (SILVER FOIL STAMPED & EMBOSSED)
by Chris Paschke
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s
i