history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Dec 19 2014 08:39AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Once upon a time, in a certain town there was a coffin maker who opened and was running a store where he sold the coffins he made himself to the customers in the neighborhood. The popuplation in the town increased day-by-day.

The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHAT DOES THIS KOAN MEAN TO YOU?
vertical line Posted on Jul.28.2008 @ 02:43PM EDT by DharmaZen
"Two hands clap and there is a sound; what is the sound of one hand?"
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email DharmaZen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.28.2008
03:05PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Alone, completely by yourself, as the source of awakening.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84267
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Jul.28.2008
05:01PM EDT 
vertical line Nothing. That is all.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84269
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.28.2008
05:35PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line See? I didn't hear that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84270
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jul.28.2008
09:29PM EDT 
vertical line Hmmm... Ok, are we speaking of the sound of just one single hand clapping, or the sound One of the two hands make in and of itself isolated when clapping them togheter? Please clearify.
(Btw, nice name there D, is it ok if I call U DZ as short for Dizzy?)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84275
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Jul.28.2008
09:34PM EDT 
vertical line (Ps! I`m not offended at all by calling you Dizzy! So no worry, ok?;)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84276
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Jul.29.2008
07:41AM EDT 
vertical line

One may know the sound of one hand clapping, but why it is is is still a mystery.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84280
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from gyro16
Jul.29.2008
07:55AM EDT 
Email gyro16
vertical line The sound of one hand is THIS... see, you didn't hear that, but it still is. If you get my meaning...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84281
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.29.2008
08:19PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line emptiness.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84292
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from DharmaZen
Aug.01.2008
12:02PM EDT 
Email DharmaZen
vertical line Quote: "The sound of one hand is THIS... see, you didn't hear that, but it still is. If you get my meaning..."

Excellent answer, I was trying to explain this Koan to a friend of mine and...well...there is it. Thank  YOU!!!

With Much Metta,
Jaymes
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84401
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.01.2008
12:41PM EDT 
vertical line A koan is a catalyst. Don't try and 'explain' or solve it. Clich├ęd koans with explanations are lifeless. What does this koan mean to you?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84402
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from glorymind
Aug.01.2008
12:58PM EDT 
vertical line Interbeing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84403
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Aug.01.2008
01:29PM EDT 
vertical line Hmmm..m  yeah, I`ll stick to whatever gyro16 said too!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84404
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Aug.01.2008
01:35PM EDT 
vertical line (What??.. I mean, since it didn`t make any sense it gotta be right, right? At least the answer fits then, ey?:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84405
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Aug.01.2008
01:38PM EDT 
vertical line I`ll explain, let me show you:

THIS...

see?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84406
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.01.2008
02:32PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line and just what is interbeing  mr. Thich? and just don't say it, for the others, in me...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84413
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from StuckTail
Aug.11.2008
01:24PM EDT 
Email StuckTail
vertical line The koan is just like "what can you see with your eyes open that you can still see with them closed?"

"Having eyes".

What can you hear before one hand or two clap or don't?

"Having ears".

Where do I meet and exchange with the ears and eyes?

"Not having, not not having"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84806
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.11.2008
01:54PM EDT 
vertical line In your imagination.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84811
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Aug.11.2008
09:33PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line poop pee fart barf

stick that in your pipe and smoke it
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84837
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mslapik
Aug.11.2008
11:12PM EDT 
Email Mslapik
vertical line I know a guy who can clap with one hand by hitting his fingers against his palm. Maybe thats what its referring to.

haha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84840
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.12.2008
07:21PM EDT 
vertical line one hand
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84850
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mika-san
Aug.13.2008
10:55PM EDT 
Email Mika-san
vertical line The sound of one hand clapping is supposed to be silence and is a polite way of telling someone else to shut-up!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84865
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.14.2008
08:02AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "The sound of one hand clapping is supposed to be silence and is a polite way of telling someone else to shut-up!"
The sound of one hand clapping isn't supposed to be any such thing. Nor is it a polite way of telling someone else anything.  In the hand of some it has become cliche and if that's what you think it's supposed to be, then for you that's what it is.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84869
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Aug.14.2008
09:16AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "The sound of one hand clapping is supposed to be silence and is a polite way of telling someone else to shut-up!"

Hmmmmm. I know that this is right.

Dont you?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84877
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.14.2008
09:37AM EDT 
vertical line No I don't, thank God.  Do you think that when someone else shuts up, there is silence?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84881
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Aug.14.2008
10:06AM EDT 
vertical line Hey, how about I write a review of Joe's Woodstock performance?  Then you can see if you can tie it all up, nail it all down or whatever else you want to do with those hands. What do you reckon?  Would it make a difference? Would the sound of one hand clapping be the same sound as two hands clapping?  Then perhaps I could hear about what zen Buddhist monks do all day 800 years ago in Japan when they aren't not shaving their heads if they don't want to.  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84885
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Aug.14.2008
05:21PM EDT 
vertical line

I have drank alot of Woodstock bourbon and then put on various performances I am told.

And as I was cheered I cant remember if people were clapping with two hands or one really.

My life have been full of missed opportunities like that.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84908
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.15.2008
12:06AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line dog bark
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84923
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Aug.15.2008
08:53AM EDT 
vertical line What is not the sound of one hand clapping?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84932
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Aug.15.2008
09:15AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line clap, the contagious one

keep it in
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 84939
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from mahalaxmi
Jul.11.2009
06:31PM EDT 
vertical line You cannot produce sound from one hand. Which means, what is left without sound is silence. The thoughtless mind in called silent mind. The WISDOM (Gnan in Hindi) or TRUTH (Sathya is Hindi)can be realized though the silent mind. Silence is the powerful language though which Wisdom/Truth can be explained/realized. Zen monks insists to make your mind a thoughtless one as through this silence they can teach what zen is, to their disciple. You call a 'sound' when you are able to listen to something. If that is so, if you are able to listen to silence (soundlessness) then you can call the silence as soundless sound. 'Listen to the Silence' is what been thought by Zen monk.

Please see http://mahalaxmitr.blogspot.com/2009/07/sound-of-one-hand.html

There are also explaination for other zen stories in this link
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102455
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from dragoss
Jul.13.2009
10:12AM EDT 
vertical line

one half of the hole cant exspress its self

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102464
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jul.14.2009
04:12AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

"

"

What is the sound?  Then there is sound.  It is also said to be the sound of clapping.  The sound of one hand clapping is probably the same clapping sound made by two hands clapping. 

What is the sound of one hand clapping?  Clapping, obviously, moron.

What I really want to know is if the hole in the doughnut is really part of the doughnut?Clearly it would not be a doughnut without the hole, but if it is not the same as the outer part of the doughnut how can it be part of the doughnut?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102478
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Jul.14.2009
06:37AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "You cannot produce sound from one hand. Which means, what is left without sound is silence. The thoughtless mind in called silent mind. The WISDOM (Gnan in Hindi) or TRUTH (Sathya is Hindi)can be realized though the silent mind. Silence is the powerful language though which Wisdom/Truth can be explained/realized. Zen monks insists to make your mind a thoughtless one as through this silence they can teach what zen is, to their disciple. You call a 'sound' when you are able to listen to something. If that is so, if you are able to listen to silence (soundlessness) then you can call the silence as soundless sound. 'Listen to the Silence' is what been thought by Zen monk.

"

There is an old Calabrese saying which says:

The master potter puts the handle on his pots wherever he thinks they should go.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102481
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jul.14.2009
06:46AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

What is the sound?  Then there is sound.  It is also said to be the sound of clapping.  The sound of one hand clapping is probably the same clapping sound made by two hands clapping. 

What I really want to know is if the hole in the doughnut is really part of the doughnut?Clearly it would not be a doughnut without the hole, but if it is not the same as the outer part of the doughnut how can it be part of the doughnut?

"
......... I must apologize to Dragoss as I did not mean to answer him.  I meant to just make a post in general.  So obviously I am as big a moron as anyone else.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.14.2009
09:57AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

the sound of one hand clapping is the sound of nothingness.

emptiness.

it points to emptiness as do all the koans.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102488
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.14.2009
10:35AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line check, money or credit card?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102490
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Jul.14.2009
11:41AM EDT 

"

"

"

In your mind, is awakening a bit laissez faire - things don't matter since all is It, It will never change etc etc (replicating some of your posts around the place). Do you not care about things anymore? _/|\_
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102496
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jul.15.2009
10:46AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

"

In your mind, is awakening a bit laissez faire - things don't matter since all is It, It will never change etc etc (replicating some of your posts around the place). Do you not care about things anymore? _/|\_
"

"

"

That is a fair question, and not necessarily related to awakening in general.

I not only do not fear death, but I do not fear non-existence.  I have nothing to lose in either case.  And nothing to gain in living either.  It is just now, things as It is, so that is what I am being.

Whats the difference between me now and before awakening?  Before I would think and decide what was good or bad, and then reconcile with my feelings.  Now I first see  how I feel about things, and then reconcile with my thoughts.

Feelings are natural.  Thoughts are made or conditioned.

I do recommend that one first measure their feelings, and then think to see if what they feel is workable or practical.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102517
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Jul.15.2009
11:11AM EDT 
vertical line Feelings are also conditioned.

I find it interesting that compassion is not in your dictionary or approach after awakening.

Knowing what thus is, it's like it no matters much of anything to you. Perhaps I have read you wrong, but it is unfamiliar to me, this attitude.

Also, this nothingness that you speak of so much is not mere nothingness, as Huang Po said.

Best wishes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102518
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Unsui zen
Jul.15.2009
11:21AM EDT 
Email Unsui zen
vertical line

To me, this Koan mean, that two hands make a sound when they brought together with force. One hand does not make a sound. The sound is there in potential. So, the sound is there but not to be heard yet.

Edwin

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102519
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jul.16.2009
04:41AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Feelings are also conditioned.

I find it interesting that compassion is not in your dictionary or approach after awakening.

Knowing what thus is, it's like it no matters much of anything to you. Perhaps I have read you wrong, but it is unfamiliar to me, this attitude.

Also, this nothingness that you speak of so much is not mere nothingness, as Huang Po said.

Best wishes.
"

I have considerable empathy for everything.  I try not to harm anything unnecessarily.  And I am sincerely sorry when harming something is necessary.

I have killed many times, and many have tried to kill me.  Thats life, and death.  Principle components of what we are experiencing here.  My blood runs cold in life and death situations.  I suppose that is conditioned.

Later on I can reflect on things that did occur, or might have occured, and that usually makes me feel sad.  But in the moment there is no time for reflection.  And overall both life and death are delusions.

Seekers on their path often want to focus on attributes that they think will help them.  Compassion is one of these.  And there is nothing wrong with devotion to your path.  But the truth is that any path will take you to the same place, whether Buddhism, Christianity, or even Black Magic. 

Awakening is not specific to any one belief system.  Just about all of them have some name for it, whether Satori, Epiphany, or whatever.  I suspect the experience has been around as long as mankind, probably since the time of ancient Witch Doctors.  It may not even be unique to this plane of existence.  After awakening you dont need a path anymore.  Then you have all paths, and none of them, at the same time.

To be yourself is the truest service to Buddha.  No matter what that is.  Good or bad.  Search your heart and know yourself, and then be that.  Understand your Buddha Nature, your own uniqueness.  Thats what you are for.  Me too, and everyone and everything else.  Deep down we are all the same, molecules and atoms, and deeper still the etherial essence of the universe.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102534
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Jul.16.2009
06:32AM EDT 

To me, this Koan mean, that two hands make a sound when they brought together with force. One hand does not make a sound. The sound is there in potential. So, the sound is there but not to be heard yet.

Edwin

"

"

The sound is there in potential.

Where is this THERE, exactly?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102539
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Jul.16.2009
08:57AM EDT 

Best wishes.
"

I have considerable empathy for everything.  I try not to harm anything unnecessarily.  And I am sincerely sorry when harming something is necessary.

I have killed many times, and many have tried to kill me.  Thats life, and death.  Principle components of what we are experiencing here.  My blood runs cold in life and death situations.  I suppose that is conditioned.

Later on I can reflect on things that did occur, or might have occured, and that usually makes me feel sad.  But in the moment there is no time for reflection.  And overall both life and death are delusions.

Seekers on their path often want to focus on attributes that they think will help them.  Compassion is one of these.  And there is nothing wrong with devotion to your path.  But the truth is that any path will take you to the same place, whether Buddhism, Christianity, or even Black Magic. 

Awakening is not specific to any one belief system.  Just about all of them have some name for it, whether Satori, Epiphany, or whatever.  I suspect the experience has been around as long as mankind, probably since the time of ancient Witch Doctors.  It may not even be unique to this plane of existence.  After awakening you dont need a path anymore.  Then you have all paths, and none of them, at the same time.

To be yourself is the truest service to Buddha.  No matter what that is.  Good or bad.  Search your heart and know yourself, and then be that.  Understand your Buddha Nature, your own uniqueness.  Thats what you are for.  Me too, and everyone and everything else.  Deep down we are all the same, molecules and atoms, and deeper still the etherial essence of the universe.

"

What in your experience or knowledge suggests every path is the same.

And what do you call awakening, immortal?

As to the rest of what you say, yes perhaps, it doesn't seem foreign to me but perhaps it is the attitude - but it has helped me learn. If not just to consider a bit deeper.

Thanks and well wishes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102540
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.16.2009
02:10PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Brought back a garden sprinkler this morning, after a hard night at work. And planned at first for a refund, but once in the store went back and made an even exchange, the product I picked out was made in Isreal. So I brought the exchange to the front desk, both items were the same price, I thought, but then the clerk gave me a three dollar refund ( one hand clapping, three times ), the one I exchanged with was on sale. Good one, timing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102548
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jul.17.2009
05:39AM EDT 

Best wishes.
"

"

As to the rest of what you say, yes perhaps, it doesn't seem foreign to me but perhaps it is the attitude - but it has helped me learn. If not just to consider a bit deeper.

Thanks and well wishes.
"

"

Thanks and well wishes.
"

What I would call awakening is understanding the essence of the universe.  Who you really are.  As Shunyro Suzuki said on his deathbed, "Im not afraid to die.  I know who I really am."  Do you know what he meant?  I do.

Can you see it all as One?  For example, many believe that eating meat is bad, so they eat only plants.  But what about the poor plants?  Just because they dont have cute little eyes that look back at you when you kill them doesnt mean they long to give their lives to fill your stomach.  Is their loss less than that of animals?

Can you help one thing without hurting another?  Can you hurt one thing without helping another?  If you pull the fly from the spiders web the fly will be happy, and you may get a warm fuzzy feeling, but the spider may have to starve because of it.

Compassion?  At what point does sensitivity to the world become insensitivity to the universe; and at what point does insensitivity to the world become sensitivity to the universe?  You have to think it all the way through.  Consider everything.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102584
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.17.2009
09:50AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

Best wishes.
"

"

Thanks and well wishes.
"

"

Thanks and well wishes.
"

What I would call awakening is understanding the essence of the universe.  Who you really are.  As Shunyro Suzuki said on his deathbed, "Im not afraid to die.  I know who I really am."  Do you know what he meant?  I do.

Can you see it all as One?  For example, many believe that eating meat is bad, so they eat only plants.  But what about the poor plants?  Just because they dont have cute little eyes that look back at you when you kill them doesnt mean they long to give their lives to fill your stomach.  Is their loss less than that of animals?

Can you help one thing without hurting another?  Can you hurt one thing without helping another?  If you pull the fly from the spiders web the fly will be happy, and you may get a warm fuzzy feeling, but the spider may have to starve because of it.

Compassion?  At what point does sensitivity to the world become insensitivity to the universe; and at what point does insensitivity to the world become sensitivity to the universe?  You have to think it all the way through.  Consider everything.

"

"

this is exactly why i still eat meat.

though its impact on the earth and the impact on the physical body has had me consider living a vegetaerian lifestyle.

i like to throw fireflys into the spiders web. they gotta eat too.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102590
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from mahalaxmi
Jul.19.2009
12:49PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You cannot produce sound from one hand. Which means, what is left without sound is silence. The thoughtless mind in called silent mind. The WISDOM (Gnan in Hindi) or TRUTH (Sathya is Hindi)can be realized though the silent mind. Silence is the powerful language though which Wisdom/Truth can be explained/realized. Zen monks insists to make your mind a thoughtless one as through this silence they can teach what zen is, to their disciple. You call a 'sound' when you are able to listen to something. If that is so, if you are able to listen to silence (soundlessness) then you can call the silence as soundless sound. 'Listen to the Silence' is what been thought by Zen monk.

"
.........I have change my URL please see http://think-on-spirituals.blogspot.com/2009/07/sound-of-one-hand.html
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102630
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from mahalaxmi
Jul.19.2009
12:53PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You cannot produce sound from one hand. Which means, what is left without sound is silence. The thoughtless mind in called silent mind. The WISDOM (Gnan in Hindi) or TRUTH (Sathya is Hindi)can be realized though the silent mind. Silence is the powerful language though which Wisdom/Truth can be explained/realized. Zen monks insists to make your mind a thoughtless one as through this silence they can teach what zen is, to their disciple. You call a 'sound' when you are able to listen to something. If that is so, if you are able to listen to silence (soundlessness) then you can call the silence as soundless sound. 'Listen to the Silence' is what been thought by Zen monk.

"
.........I have changed the URL...Please see this link http://think-on-spirituals.blogspot.com/2009/07/sound-of-one-hand.html
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 102631
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s