history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 23 2014 06:25PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: NEWBIE WITH THE USUAL REINCARNATION ISSSUE
vertical line Posted on Sep.05.2008 @ 01:15AM EDT by kausha

Hi guys. New here.  *waves*  I found this place by searching through Google... done after much pondering on how to approach my little question.  I could've just done what most people do or I could have done what the other most people do. I chose to do this.

I was raised to believe in "reincarnation" to the point that it's sort of one of the main things I do.  Folks who remember and I speak, talk, therapy, blah blah. I'm nobody special here with it. It's just that stuff gravitates to me. I don't think that needs a more dramatic discussion than that, right?

Anyway, of course I've got a plethora of memories of my own.  They've served me quite well, actually. The more one remembers their whole, the more they step closer to becoming whole when taking this particular (albiet sometimes dangerous) path. I'm happy to say I've come a long way baby.

But there's a couple of unresolved spots.  One has to do with Buddhism.

What I'm going to say from beyond here isn't meant to awe or impress. And I'm not really out for glory or anything like that. I just want to be thorough in my post, get it all out, and move on to the purpose why I'm risking being flamed by typing here.  Or anywhere. -_-  And these aren't things I've never talked about before. S'just instinct says when going into certain circles be careful. Cuz there are things you aren't supposed to remember... or something weird like that.

When I was a kid before and after school I had a self-made routine of doing stretches. I like to stretch. Feels good.  Didn't learn until I was in my 20's that they were all yoga poses.  And naturally when I stopped doing them... kinda forgot them... and try as I might circumstance (and lack of motivation) can't get me back into it. Durnit. I thoroughly enjoy yoga. But I guess not enough. ;-)

I've always been very drawn to temples. Big beautiful temples with scratchy gardens... to the point that I actually remembered a temple. Before I stepped into my first Buddha center. This story I am gonna tell has been with me for years. I've only been looking into Buddhism for the past year.

There are a lot of "temple" things I have spent my entire life doing without thought. Very ingrained, this sort of thing, and very automatic. It was my friend Margaret who pointed out to me my habits.  Then of course I was like "okay I"m bizarre." That was 8 years ago, though.

And of course the 3 "dangerous" moments that happened to me in my life. One kind of involve catching a pole coming at me from behind (I am not joking, lying or anything) so that my friends in high school called me karate woman for the rest of the year.  Um... I'm not even sure how I knew the pole was coming. It just kind of all happened. -_-

So there were these big wooden doors, and they were much bigger than me. But then again I was a young boy, or maybe an adolescent. I have trouble telling my age by feeling alone.  I was dark I can tell you that much and totally freaking out.

The past life memories - there is one "life" in particular I spent this lifetime avoiding remembering only to go "oh.. yeah I can see why I didn't wanna remember that" - were pretty strong. Something about a male body and this spirit doesn't mesh well I guess.  Things get too emotional.  So there I was at this temple shaking and crying and basically terrified of what was in my head.

I was allowed inside. I *think* someone walked with me. Can't remember... and there was this little barren courtyard like place. Two or three monks where there; older guys who were dark like I was.  And I can't remember exactly what was said, of course, but basically it was conveyed I thought I was going crazy.

One of the older men said to me very gently that I was safe there.

Can't remember what happened right after that, but I have always known that I "took refuge" there. That was the phrase in my head. It's always been there.  And I took vows and became a monk for the rest of my days.

I always thought through the years that "taking refuge" meant I hid there. I know I grew old there.  And it had a beautiful mountain view.  Which I kinda miss. =^-^=

So yeah. I was al ittle astounded at my first Buddhist encounter when I learned what taking refuge really was.

I guess I'll not go on and on about hiding int he courtyard and the gentle refraining atmopshere when first got there and wotnot.

Okay so here's why I"m baring my soul and exposing myself to trouble.

I realized "wow I really missed being Buddhist!" but am torn. Not sure what I should do here.  I've got very strong instincts telling me that to take the vow again will-nilly is a mistake.   And... I dunno.. would be nice to see the monkery again but really I'm trying to make sure I"m not being stoopid.

I need someone to talk to, because sounding boards are how Tiggers think best. Someone who doesn't feel this topic is taboo.

I understand if its taboo though. I'm sorry if I've said anything wrong.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email kausha
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.05.2008
01:54AM EDT 
vertical line I don't think reincarnation is very important. We all have so much in this life that is real and this pretty much makes previous or future lives unimportant in this moment.

I think Buddhism also tries to promote the ideal mutual respect and care. The idea and focus on an 'individual capsule' sort of runs counter to this (it's almost selfishness). (Of course, love for others begins with love for oneself.)

Seeing as this is a Zen forum, you'll probably find lots of other people like myself that have the same appreciation as you for temples and other spiritually significant places/figures.

Memories are very powerful. Some are beautiful and some are not so nice. But memories are also not reality. If we are lucky enough to have lived somewhat good lives, we will have collected (and, I'd say) filtered out mostly good memories. I think there is definitely a bias regarding the past (either positive or negative). And this makes it very hard to honestly evaluate the merit of a decision to return somewhere based on a few fragmented memories.

There is a Zen koan that warns us against being "picky". And I think one of the issues it tries to point out is that if we rely on naive sentiment to guide us through life, we will be bitterly disappointed. Things might only look good on the surface, and if our expectations are too high...

I think the best thing to do is ask yourself, what do you want from this life? Be  resolute, determined and committed.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85823
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Sep.05.2008
05:51AM EDT 
vertical line

What is the difference between incarnation and re-incarnation?

Where is the time within reality?

Who are you to be anybody in the past, now, or in the future?

What is the experience of knowing an experience?

Who knows experience?

Is re-incarnation a mis-interpretation?

Is re-incarnation more so the experience of what?

Take your time.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85827
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.05.2008
07:01AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line what is it that you want?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85830
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.05.2008
07:18AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

if the realization you have lived previous lives is something good for you....then good for you.

i personally cannot remember any past lives.

and yes its important because even siddhartha upon his supreme awakening remembered past lives.

so its not a bad thing.

i was atheist by nature. im not anymore.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85831
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.05.2008
07:39AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

if the realization you have lived previous lives is something good for you....then good for you.

and yes its important because even siddhartha upon his supreme awakening remembered past lives.

so its not a bad thing.

"

So... what's God doing today? Loving the heck out of everything, as usual?

Maybe we're all going to hell?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85832
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.05.2008
07:53AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

so its not a bad thing.

"

"

"

"

i doubt this very much.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85834
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.05.2008
08:47AM EDT 
vertical line

Many facinating wonders await those who open their minds.

To say that one thing is is to say that another is not.

To say that one thing is not is to say that another is.

In a universe of unlimited possibilities, how could either be true?

So I mean to say that to be unattached includes neither accepting anything nor ruling anything out. 

I just try to be a free-floater, not hanging on to anything.

(I have memories like that too, as I'm sure many here do.  I like them, but I don't hang on to them.)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85835
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.05.2008
08:50AM EDT 

so its not a bad thing.

"

"

I can dig it, Shayne.  I quit church and became an atheist.  Had visionary experiences and became an agnostic.  Met Buddha and became a Buddhist.  What's next?  I don't know.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85836
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.05.2008
08:54AM EDT 

Many facinating wonders await those who open their minds.

To say that one thing is is to say that another is not.

To say that one thing is not is to say that another is.

In a universe of unlimited possibilities, how could either be true?

So I mean to say that to be unattached includes neither accepting anything nor ruling anything out. 

I just try to be a free-floater, not hanging on to anything.

(I have memories like that too, as I'm sure many here do.  I like them, but I don't hang on to them.)

"

You've limited the possibilities: true or false: is or is not!.... No, it wasn't you, I'm sorry for accusing you.

That which can be ruled will be measured. That is how it goes.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85837
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.05.2008
09:13AM EDT 
Email shayne

so its not a bad thing.

"

"

I can dig it, Shayne.  I quit church and became an atheist.  Had visionary experiences and became an agnostic.  Met Buddha and became a Buddhist.  What's next?  I don't know.

"

"

my daughter is agnostic.

i know for fact i had a out of body experience.

this changed my perspective on life.

so did the concept of no time either.

nowness kinda opens up and im not in a hurry for anything.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85840
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.05.2008
01:19PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line ohhh
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85847
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.05.2008
01:50PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

so its not a bad thing.

"

"

"

"

my daughter is agnostic.

i know for fact i had a out of body experience.

this changed my perspective on life.

so did the concept of no time either.

nowness kinda opens up and im not in a hurry for anything.

"

"

so what are you waiting for?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85854
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.05.2008
02:20PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line nothing....why?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85855
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Sep.05.2008
07:10PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: " I just try to be a free-floater, not hanging on to anything( "

hanging on to "I try", as if can ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85866
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Sep.05.2008
07:12PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "What is the difference between incarnation and re-incarnation?

Where is the time within reality?

Who are you to be anybody in the past, now, or in the future?

What is the experience of knowing an experience?

Who knows experience?

Is re-incarnation a mis-interpretation?

Is re-incarnation more so the experience of what?"

"

:)))))))))

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85867
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.06.2008
07:56AM EDT 

"

"

Oh Lehish, you are so hard to please.  But you do rein us in well, back to the Now.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85904
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.06.2008
01:42PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "nothing....why?"

so you got why...so what

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85913
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Sep.06.2008
08:44PM EDT 
vertical line

Is there an individual soul or a collective soul?

Is there an individual or a collective?

Is the collective soul one soul?

Is the collective one?

Are they one in the same?

Is there a soul?

How one measures the vastness of reality one measures the vastness of experience.

When in the first not a thing is, where is re-incarnation if not a concept.

I MAY SEE I TO I, OR I MIGHT NOT.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85944
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.06.2008
09:07PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line hehehehehehhhehehehehehehehee
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85947
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Sep.07.2008
03:28PM EDT 
vertical line Too many thoughts. Work to quieten the mind. Practise being in the moment.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85996
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Sep.07.2008
05:03PM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

Oh Lehish, you are so hard to please.  But you do rein us in well, back to the Now.

"

"

;)

"back to Now" ...now left now?  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86011
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Sep.07.2008
05:05PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Too many thoughts. Work to quieten the mind. Practise being in the moment. "

moment "Practice being in the moment." as if not  ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86012
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.07.2008
07:09PM EDT 
Email 9999999

Quote: "Too many thoughts. Work to quieten the mind. Practise being in the moment. "

moment "Practice being in the moment." as if not  ?

"
lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86027
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Sep.08.2008
05:42PM EDT 
vertical line lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86110
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA : STATUE & FIGURINE COLLECTION
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s