history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Aug 28 2014 09:22AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Subhuti was Buddha's disciple. He was able to understand the potency of emptiness, that nothing exists except in its relationship of subjectivity and objectivity. One day, in a mood of sublime emptiness, Subhuti was resting underneath a tree... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: BHUDDISM IN TAIWAN AND OTHER ASIAN COUNTRIES
vertical line Posted on Sep.05.2008 @ 10:08PM EDT by etcetra
Hi I recently moved to Taiwan and met a Bhuddist teacher here, and I was kind of surprised to find out what Bhuddism is like over here... This person who did all kinds of divining, prayer, and rituals to bring good fortune to your life.. for a donation . I thought Bhuddists are not supposed to do that, it is fundamentally against the teaching. I also felt awkward hearing from this person how my problems were the result of deed from past life, and how if I go through this ritual in which I accept Bhoddisatva in my heart (very reminiscent of accepting jesus in your heart), his power will be able to heal my injury at an incredible rate. I didn't want to confront this person for his teaching, because I am not a authority in Bhuddism, but I did feel strange to see how this is so common in Taiwan or other Asian countries..A lot of bhuddist temple here exist so that people can offer their prayer to the good gods and bring good fortune and they do very little teaching. I was trying to find a place where I can deepen my understanding of Bhuddism and enlightenment, and I just thought all this person was offering was an indoctrination to a belief system, and it went against so many things that I learned from other respectable roshis Bhuddists. I was wondering has anyone here had expereinces similar to this in their lives?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.05.2008
10:35PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line yes
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85873
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.06.2008
07:37AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "yes"

Just about any 'Nihilist' here would be glad to tell you they are not doing Buddhism here.  Most here do not believe in the trappings of the church, so to speak, no matter what church, in fact.

I do not know where I fit in that.  I didn't become a Buddhist until after awakening, because what I experienced coincides with Buddha.  So I guess I've got it backwards to begin with. 

But I don't have a lot of interest in the trappings of the church either. Although I respect these practices. I think all that is necessary for discipline so that a beginner or novice can learn to meditate.  After that meditation takes on its own, whatever.  Its like in school, once they have taught you to read you can read anything. 

I guess I believe that through meditation each individual forms a personal relationship with Buddha, which already existed but had not previously  been explored. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85897
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.06.2008
07:43AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

Nihilist

HAHAAHHA

thats so true.

look it up justin.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85900
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
09:57AM EDT 
vertical line I guess what I was puzzled about was that these people did not mention anything about meditation, they offered rituals that would cleanse people of their past karmas and bring good fortune, and there were a lot of talks about superstition, about demons and heaven and hell. From what I read most people go to Bhuddist temple to receive good fortune but never meditate. At first I didn't know what to think of it, but I just thought it was interesting how there is so much "Bhuddism" out there. the world is much bigger than I "know" or ever know.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85908
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.06.2008
04:13PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line 'nihilist' eh?

what is that belief doing for you?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85930
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Sep.06.2008
08:16PM EDT 
vertical line

Who is the Buddha?

What is the Buddha?

Is Buddha not just a name?

Maybe the birth name given to that man when interpreted meant Frank, or Bill.

Maybe Pegasus??????

When you experience Zen, the Buddha will dissapear.

What on earth is a Buddhist?

The experience of being a Buddhist is a billion zillion experiences away from the experience of that man Pegasus.

There is a song called Pegasus, you may want to have a listen.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85942
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this GREEN TARA
by Siddhimuni Sakya
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s