history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Nov 25 2014 11:07PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS EXPEREINCE?
vertical line Posted on Sep.05.2008 @ 10:10PM EDT by etcetra
I had two very profound "experiences" in life and I have never talked to with the roshi or master about what it meant, and I thought it would be important to ask what the significance of the experience is and what I should do with whatever wisdom and insights I received from it. This experience happened a long time ago.. I saw my mother for the first time in years, and I had a very deep conversation with her..I was driving back home, I was very happy, and all the sudden a thought came across my mind, I don't remember the exact words, but it was about how there is only here and the now.. all the sudden i just felt like everything broke loose, my self just, dissolved.. for the first time in my life I felt like whatever burden i felt was completely gone and I was completely free.. I starting laughing and crying uncontrollably... I was elated I remember how thoughts were coming to me, about how "I had it" i just let that thought go and every time i did, i started laughing and crying harder, like this controllable joy was bursting out... It went on for about 5-10 minutes.. i completely lost myself for those moments.. looking back I was surprised that I didn't get into any accidents. This happened about 8 years ago, and it changed my life completely, but what does that experience really mean and what should one do from that point?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.05.2008
10:37PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line the lights are on

find out if there is anyone home
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85874
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.05.2008
11:41PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

nothing......you sound like you lost your mind.

not a good thing. elation is elation. it dont last.

the lights are on but nobodys home eh justin?

wtf is that crap your spouting their sonny?

smells like crap. must be crap.

whats the point to it you little snotnose?

dont spread your lies on us.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85877
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
12:17AM EDT 
vertical line If that is what you call "losing your mind" it doesn't seem so bad :) Why does something have to last to be good or bad? All this talking about nothing, maybe I did forget to turn off the lights.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85878
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
12:43AM EDT 
vertical line Haha I feel silly asking the question, I am like a person who stepped on the same river twice and asking people "did I step on the same river twice?" I found nothing, realized nothing, my two feet are cold and wet with water.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85879
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.06.2008
01:51AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line i sure do make shayne stink!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85882
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.06.2008
06:39AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line nooooooooooooooooo......you stink justin.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85889
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.06.2008
07:16AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85894
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.06.2008
07:22AM EDT 
vertical line

Satori doesn't seem to come all at once.  There are brief 'exposures' that are called Kensho.  They are very valuable in themselves.  Good for you for having such experiences.

What are the value of experiences?  No more or less than anything else, really.

What most people don't know is that without preparatory experiences like this Kensho that you had, Satori would probably kill you.  It will kill you, figuratively, anyway, but not necessarily physically.  Depends on the person.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85895
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.06.2008
07:40AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

is that you don?

haha.

is immortal1 don?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85899
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
10:15AM EDT 
vertical line Immortal, interesting, is it important for one to realize what happened? or should i just toss it away with the rest of my laundry? after all, I need new clothes for tomorrow and I can't wear the same thing all the time. These experiences happened without my knowledge of what is is or what its called ..I only noticed how familiar it was to me when I started reading about it Bhuddism, I even had a dream about it when I was young, I was contemplating everything is nonthingness stuff like that all the time, and I was stuck in thoughts.. one day I had a dream about Bhudda or God or whatever it is, I was in the light, and there was Bhudda or God inside it, but at the same time I was the light and I was Bhudda.. I didn't think much of it.. suffice to say that those thoughts became no longer a concern. I guess it brings me to the point whether practice is necessary, but then again, every moment is practice, If you are businessman business is is your practice, if you are musicians music is your practice, what else do you need to do but to keep on doing what you are already doing?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85909
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
10:23AM EDT 
vertical line I also notice how my mind is not completely clear and fall into depression and suffering sometimes, so probably important to deepen my practice somehow. what's next?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85911
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.06.2008
01:56PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line the significance of experience cannot be told
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85919
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.06.2008
04:15PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "I also notice how my mind is not completely clear and fall into depression and suffering sometimes, so probably important to deepen my practice somehow. what's next?"

your mind is completely clear because you fall into depression and suffering sometimes

sometimes happy
sometimes mad
sometimes practicing
sometimes sleeping

infinite huh?....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85932
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Sep.06.2008
08:01PM EDT 
vertical line

I don't remember the exact words, but it was about how there is only here and the now..

This knowledge removes you from you, I from I.

A new experience non the less. Paradox is experience. Reality is experience.

A taste of being conscious of the unconscious.

Learn yourself up on Hui Nengs explanation of the unconscious, maybe from Suzuki's 'The Zen Doctrine Of No Mind'.

But I think that you might have already learned yourself up from the experience.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85941
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
10:20PM EDT 
vertical line btw thanks so much for all your replies and inputs. I really don't know much about Bhuddism maybe its good to stay that way. There is nothing profound or special about enlightenment, it may feel that way at first because you forgot your true nature. It's like a sick man who feels healthy for the first time in his life.. He may be excited about the fact that he can move his arms, his legs, his body, but after a while it just becomes normal, you don't even think about it, you just walk, and move your body, nothing really changed, except you are doing things with healthy body, likewise there is nothing special enlightenment, you are just doing things with healthy mind that's all.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85948
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.06.2008
10:23PM EDT 
vertical line infinite? don't know what that is :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85949
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Sep.07.2008
03:13PM EDT 
vertical line You simply laid down a burden and felt the weight being removed. Enlightenment is not about what we take on, it’s about what we take off - lay down and walk away from in order to find our true nature.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 85994
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA II
by Ricki Mountain
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s