history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Aug 21 2014 02:01PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Let me tell you about the middle path.

Dressing in rough and dirty garments, letting your hair grow matted,
abstaining from eating any meat or fish, does not clean the one who is deluded.
Mortifying the flesh through excessive... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SADNESS
vertical line Posted on Sep.17.2008 @ 09:12AM EDT by etcetra
I was reading a very "serious" post here, and I just thought, gosh people are so serious, they get offended so easily. I remember living in a big city, when you say hi to strangers, they often don't respond. They often think to themselves "what does this guy want out of me?"..so much thinking, a simple greeting is never that simple for them. I saw kids being playful, spontaneous, and parents punishing them for that.
I remember not long ago I saw this men who was dancing to his music he was listening to in a train.. he was obviously handicapped.. some people were offended, uncomfortable, and some were laughing at him. But I kept on thinking, gosh this guy is much happier than any of us, he is spontaneous, he is free, and he is enjoying life. Maybe if we were all like that handicapped person, the world would be a much happier place.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.17.2008
09:50AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line yeah...true.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86630
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.17.2008
10:29AM EDT 
vertical line yea so simple i wish more people would do it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86633
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.17.2008
10:44AM EDT 
vertical line Unfortunate that things are never that simple.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86634
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.17.2008
01:36PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "Unfortunate that things are never that simple.
"

but I did say "hi" and sadness still comes...

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86644
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.18.2008
06:13AM EDT 
vertical line

When I worked in Washington DC my boss would get mad at me when we walked down the street because I would smile and say hello to everyone we passed.

I asked, "What's wrong with that?"

He answered, "This is the city.  When you smile at people here they immediately think you either want to rip them off or have sex with them."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86659
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.18.2008
07:31AM EDT 
vertical line That reminds me of an artist I knew.. He would openly talk to stranger and openly tell people how beautiful they are.. Most women find that uncomfortable, they thought he was coming on to them.. Everyone thought he was crazy.. but turns out he was a very brilliant person, brilliant mind and a great artist.
It seems like so many people are comfortable with prisons of thoughts, of manners, "common sense", of what things are "supposed to be"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86663
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.18.2008
08:24AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

When I worked in Washington DC my boss would get mad at me when we walked down the street because I would smile and say hello to everyone we passed.

He answered, "This is the city.  When you smile at people here they immediately think you either want to rip them off or have sex with them."

"

May Mother Teresa bless your kind and gentle soul in return for the sprinklings of blessing you have given others so kindly.

Rationally: Would you really expect me to give a plomp about you just for saying, "hi"?

Go to Somalia. Feed to poor. That might actually mean something. Not this "I'm such a nice guy" crap.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86671
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.18.2008
09:24AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

ouch........i love this forum.

haha.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86675
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.18.2008
01:12PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "That reminds me of an artist I knew.. He would openly talk to stranger and openly tell people how beautiful they are.. Most women find that uncomfortable, they thought he was coming on to them.. Everyone thought he was crazy.. but turns out he was a very brilliant person, brilliant mind and a great artist.
It seems like so many people are comfortable with prisons of thoughts, of manners, "common sense", of what things are "supposed to be"
"

ain't about this is it, really... telling someone you meet at a doorway hello and oh say maybe..that you look good today... smiling.. you go this way and I go that way...or is it you go that way and I go this way? either way the door was held open ...being polite and all.. "brilliant" mind and all

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86717
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.18.2008
01:27PM EDT 
vertical line no it isn't its about thinking too much suspecting too much, its about how its easy to complicate things in life with useless thoughts.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86725
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.18.2008
01:37PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "no it isn't its about thinking too much suspecting too much, its about how its easy to complicate things in life with useless thoughts."

:)  yeah

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86731
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Sep.18.2008
03:41PM EDT 
vertical line Thanks, etcetera!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86745
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.18.2008
09:06PM EDT 
vertical line lol i feel like i am making this more complicated than it is, silly me :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86749
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Sep.19.2008
03:49AM EDT 
vertical line All should bend with the wind more.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86772
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.19.2008
05:18AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

May Mother Teresa bless your kind and gentle soul in return for the sprinklings of blessing you have given others so kindly.

Rationally: Would you really expect me to give a plomp about you just for saying, "hi"?

Go to Somalia. Feed to poor. That might actually mean something. Not this "I'm such a nice guy" crap.

"

"

"

Oh, but emanicpotentate, I am such an nice and wonderful guy !!  Can't you tell from my postings how nice I am??

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86779
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.19.2008
05:31AM EDT 
vertical line

Actually, human behavior is often compensatory. 

Salesmen know that the places that have signs that say 'no salesmen allowed' are the best places to sell because the people there are trying to compensate for low sales resistance.

A boss of mine used to say, "Whenever I hear people complaining I ask myself, 'what are they trying to justify', and sure enough they are the ones stealing from the company."

Take a look around and you will see that many people have adopted behaviors to compensate for the way they really are.

I'm really not that nice a guy.  I'm more indifferent to human suffering than anything else.  I'm not concerned about starving people in countries where kings or presidents live well.  Their people are starving because of incompetent government.  Who's fault is that?  Not mine, so don't ask me to pay for it.

I like Mother Teresa though.  I recall that she said, "In the final analysis, it is always just between you and God."   We call God 'Buddha' or 'the self'.  It really doesn't matter what you call IT.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86780
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Sep.20.2008
08:08AM EDT 
vertical line

I feel that problems have come about from people being opinionative rather than just conveying their current self.

Being opinionative normally comes from the fear of ridicule. Only those that endure ridicule fear ridicule, hence the fear, for ridicule they know.

What is what in the reality of is other than is.

Zen and buddhism are two very seperate experiences. Respect this.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86825
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.22.2008
01:27PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "lol i feel like i am making this more complicated than it is, silly me :)"

the one with the sticker?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86883
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.22.2008
01:30PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "lol i feel like i am making this more complicated than it is, silly me :)"

ohhhhh!!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86884
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this STATUE OF BUDDHA
by Ian Cumming
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s