history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Sunday Nov 23 2014 12:41AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day, Chang-sha Ching-tsen (d. 868), one of the well-known Chinese Ch'an masters,
wandered in the mountain. When he was back just at the gate of the temple, the head monk asked him:
-Where have you been, Sir?
Chang-sha replied:
-I... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: JUST GUIDE NO ZEN
vertical line Posted on Sep.20.2008 @ 10:54AM EDT by so_teh
Continue on...
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email so_teh
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from etcetra
Sep.20.2008
11:11AM EDT 
vertical line gosh i wasted 5 seconds of my life to read this? haha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86840
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Sep.20.2008
07:13PM EDT 
vertical line Welcome.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86848
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.21.2008
02:53AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line hello.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86850
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.21.2008
10:14AM EDT 
vertical line A young student of Zen was going to the market to buy vegetables for the monastery where he was studying. On the way he met a student from another monastery.

“Where are you going?” asked the first student.

“Wherever my legs take me,” replied the other.

The first student pondered over the answer as he was sure it had some deep significance. When he returned to the monastery, he reported the conversation to his teacher, who said: “You should have asked him what he would do if he had no legs.”

The next day the student was thrilled to see the same boy coming towards him.

“Where are you going?” he asked and without waiting for a reply continued, “Wherever your legs take you, I suppose. Well, let me ask you . . .”

“You’re mistaken,” interrupted the other boy. “Today I’m going wherever the wind blows.”

This answer so confused the first boy that he could not think of anything to say.
When he reported the matter to his teacher, the old man said: “You should have asked him what he would do if there were no wind.”

Some days later the student saw the boy in the market again and rushed to confront him, confident that this time he would have the last word.

“Where are you going?” he asked. “Wherever your legs take you or wherever the wind blows? Well, let me ask you . . . . ”

“No, no,” interrupted the boy. “Today I’m going to buy vegetables.”

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86852
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Sep.21.2008
03:52PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Thank you for that story.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86858
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Sep.22.2008
01:05PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "A young student of Zen was going to the market to buy vegetables for the monastery where he was studying. On the way he met a student from another monastery.

“Where are you going?” asked the first student.

“Wherever my legs take me,” replied the other.

The first student pondered over the answer as he was sure it had some deep significance. When he returned to the monastery, he reported the conversation to his teacher, who said: “You should have asked him what he would do if he had no legs.”

The next day the student was thrilled to see the same boy coming towards him.

“Where are you going?” he asked and without waiting for a reply continued, “Wherever your legs take you, I suppose. Well, let me ask you . . .”

“You’re mistaken,” interrupted the other boy. “Today I’m going wherever the wind blows.”

This answer so confused the first boy that he could not think of anything to say.
When he reported the matter to his teacher, the old man said: “You should have asked him what he would do if there were no wind.”

Some days later the student saw the boy in the market again and rushed to confront him, confident that this time he would have the last word.

“Where are you going?” he asked. “Wherever your legs take you or wherever the wind blows? Well, let me ask you . . . . ”

“No, no,” interrupted the boy. “Today I’m going to buy vegetables.”

"

and milk

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 86881
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Sep.22.2011
02:44PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 129322
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Sep.22.2011
03:13PM EDT 
vertical line The first boy still did not know what to say. And he ran to his master telling of this devious twist of turn.
“Dang” the old man said. “You should have asked him what he would do if there were no vegetables you fool!”
The young student of Zen suddenly realized it! All he had to do was to swap out the last word in the old man`s sentence with whatever the dude he newer could remember the name of was doing!

At last, days later the student finally saw the boy in the market again and rushed towards him, confident that this time at last he would have the last word.
“Where are you..” was all he got to say before the other boy interrupted.
“Listen you faggot, why are you pestering me?? Whatever I am doing is none of your frigging business, I don`t know you man. This not cool, ok? Go away!”
The first boy looked at the other dude, a small trembling around his mouth, then tears started crawling down his left cheek and he ran home to his master who /&#¤& him or something since I am bored of writing this and someone else can continue on.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 129323
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.23.2011
03:26AM EDT 
vertical line synopsis? please?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 129343
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this TRANQUILITY, HARMONY, SERENITY, PEACE
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s