history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Dec 20 2014 09:37PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day when P'ang layman (740-808)was selling bamboo baskets at the market place of Hung-chou.
Seeing a monk begging alms, he took out a cash and said:
-Can you tell me how to appreciate alms?
The monk had nothing to say.
P'ang... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WOULD THIS BE ACCURATE?
vertical line Posted on Sep.26.2008 @ 05:08AM EDT by Bluerose
Would this be accurate? ......... ......... There is no one waiting to crucify you for making mistakes or wanting nice things in your life. They don’t make this a widely known fact because there are people out there who would simply run a muck. Religious threat is what kept the peasants in line in the middle ages. But we are becoming much more intelligent, much more aware and much more conscious, and able to think, believe and decide for ourselves. The God is dead! Long live the God! The new God - And we are it!
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Sep.26.2008
05:49AM EDT 
vertical line

Nice. Appreciate where you are at.

Would like to see the name and concept of god abolished and forgotten.

It keeps ties, unfortunately.

There is a particular religion which is growing like mad at the moment.

It is the sword of the supressed.

You can see why it is growing as such.

If I was forced to eat from a tip and watch my family do so as well, and watch the wealthy rule with corruption everywhere, like in the Philipines for example, I would swear that god is great and cut throats.

Religion, corruption, lack of benevolence. What a ****full world we live in.

Gonna get a t-shirt with'man of zen' printed on it.  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87011
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.26.2008
08:32AM EDT 
vertical line

I've thought a lot about the idea that we are Buddha lately.

Technically it is correct, since there really isn't anything but Buddha.  So what else could you be?  What else could we be?

I see acceptance of that idea in many notable works.  And I agree, we are our own creation, at least in the final analysis.

But I tend to think that belief is also the last bastian of the ego.  The last place for the ego to hide or take refuge.  Because the ego loves self-importance, and what could be more important than being Buddha itself?

Even though I know I am my own creation, I hope to set aside self-importance and be the creation rather than the creator.  I can be the creator again later when the creation has run its course.

So what I am interested in at this juncture is being true to my buddha nature.  When making decisions then it is more important to me to sense out how I feel about doing something than what I logically think I should do.   Then I can be the creation that I created myself to be. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87012
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.26.2008
09:42AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

yes but each a god. each a microverse within the macroverse.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87020
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Sep.26.2008
10:28AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "But we are becoming much more intelligent, much more aware and much more conscious, and able to think, believe and decide for ourselves"

being more and more brainwashed by media pollution

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87027
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Sep.26.2008
01:39PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line this smells
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87039
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.26.2008
11:52PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "

yes but each a god. each a microverse within the macroverse.

"

"

which is to imply nothing really.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87047
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.27.2008
12:19AM EDT 
vertical line Fear (etc) can motivate, but things keep moving... nowhere? ;)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87049
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from juliocm
Sep.27.2008
01:11AM EDT 
Email juliocm
vertical line At least in America and the  most advanced nations people are becoming more inttelligent  and civilized but where im from (Michoacan Mexico) execution methods and forms of intimidation get worst by the day. One doesnt have to travel very far to see how beautyfull America is. In mexico some decapitate in monday then go to pray for forgiveness on sunday and they even have a saint protector of drug smuglers and their kind, you find his statues and altars in many households. Funny though when I tell other mexicans im buddhist and dont believe in any particular god they think of it as taboo and sin. Go figure.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87051
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.27.2008
01:41AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

as an egotastical statement.........we are god.

but this is to say we are each god which implies really we are equal anyway.

so drop the god aspect.

and become simply human.

do you understand?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87056
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.27.2008
01:44AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

Quote: "At least in America and the  most advanced nations people are becoming more inttelligent  and civilized but where im from (Michoacan Mexico) execution methods and forms of intimidation get worst by the day. One doesnt have to travel very far to see how beautyfull America is. In mexico some decapitate in monday then go to pray for forgiveness on sunday and they even have a saint protector of drug smuglers and their kind, you find his statues and altars in many households. Funny though when I tell other mexicans im buddhist and dont believe in any particular god they think of it as taboo and sin. Go figure."

sorry to hear this.

dont press the situation you are buddhist. i wouldnt. not a safe country to expressing your views.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Sep.27.2008
05:06AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

as an egotastical statement.........we are god.

but this is to say we are each god which implies really we are equal anyway.

so drop the god aspect.

and become simply human.

do you understand?

"

"

I suppose you could say it is egotasstical to say you are god. 

(That word needs two S's.)

But you are, and you aren't, at the same time.

Since there is only Buddha, then you are a creative work of Buddha, hence your Buddha Nature, the character and characteristics given to you by Buddha.

So in order to be true to yourself as Buddha, you must be true to your Buddha Nature.  To be the you that you created yourself to be is the proper service of the creation to the creator.

Do you understand?  This is where concrete thinking brings you to the same conclusion as abstract thought. 

Just be what you are.  And just be what you are being.  Same thing.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87076
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Sep.27.2008
07:39AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

it is understood to be just myself.

but without the idea of myself.

this is also understood.

no god here.

just a man in the world.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87082
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Sep.27.2008
01:16PM EDT 
vertical line I’ve read a lot of what other people think and believe, and I agree with so much of it. What it feels like to me, and I could be wrong, but it seems like we come full circle. We come back to where we were, to simply live this life but much more awake than before.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87086
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Sep.29.2008
02:59AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "At least in America and the  most advanced nations people are becoming more inttelligent  and civilized but where im from (Michoacan Mexico) execution methods and forms of intimidation get worst by the day. One doesnt have to travel very far to see how beautyfull America is. In mexico some decapitate in monday then go to pray for forgiveness on sunday and they even have a saint protector of drug smuglers and their kind, you find his statues and altars in many households. Funny though when I tell other mexicans im buddhist and dont believe in any particular god they think of it as taboo and sin. Go figure."

- Bush was a cocaine user.

- 6% ellicit drug users
 (Heard a figure elsewhere: 20% of skilled (educated) adults)
 (http://www.ncjrs.gov/htm/chapter2.htm)

- 33% percent of adults obese:  "America is home to the most obese people in the world." ;)

- 1.5% saving rate. People spending beyond their means. Record low - but about 5 years ago it was still as low as -1%.

- "53 percent of Americans say that religion is very important in their lives," Not sure if this means anything to anyone.

And one for the road:
- 3385 gun-related deaths in the 0-19 age range. (1999)

My favorite for now, though: a government that brings their own economy into depression while only accomplishing to also completely devastate another nation (10 years of sanctions - aka "starvation"... then a war that only cripples the country, and a pull-out probably imminent ;)).

America the beautiful. ;) "People are becoming more intelligent" may be true. Still doesn't impress me.

Heard good things of Germany and Japan, though. Think they might be the real leaders of the world - in terms of enlightenment, civility and efficiency.

... just some facts. ;)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87108
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHIST MONKS IN TIBET
by Flip Chalfant
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s