history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 16 2014 03:25PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Tetsugen, a devotee of Zen in Japan, decided to publish the sutras, which at that time were available only in Chinese. The books were to be printed with wood blocks in an edition of seven thousand copies, a tremendous undertaking.... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: THE BODY.
vertical line Posted on Oct.01.2008 @ 08:07PM EDT by shayne

We dont pick what we look like.

We dont pick our body type.

Their can be no ego if your good looking.

Their can be no shame if your homely.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email shayne
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.01.2008
09:35PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line We use make-up to create a fresh image of plastic.

Diets, exercise, and dress create an image of youthful eternity. We choose who we watch on tv and movies which sustains a false sense of self as body.

Ego is based in body image.

Shame is externally applied to one, then becomes a part of self-image, a low one.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87212
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.01.2008
09:38PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

at the same token taking pride in oneself and dressing nicely and using makeup is good.

its a question of not wether you are homely or good looking.

you SHOULD take pride in yourself.

the opposite of a low self esteeem.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87213
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.01.2008
09:39PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

furthermore exercise is good for you.

but not for the sake of self image.

you should want to exercise cause it feels good for ya.

its a feel good thing.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87214
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.01.2008
09:44PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Image is everything, to being a member of a socially deluded network of  "friends".

Lose your looks, and lose your friends.

If I am not my body I have no power to control weakness, or so I think.

Feelings, which go in the direction of sadness, worry or grief are seen as failures, for low self images to repress.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87217
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.01.2008
09:48PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

Quote: "Image is everything, to being a member of a socially deluded network of  "friends".

Feelings, which go in the direction of sadness, worry or grief are seen as failures, for low self images to repress.
"

some people are like this.

some people are not.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87219
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.01.2008
09:50PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Image is everything, to being a member of a socially deluded network of  "friends".

"

some people are not.

"

most people are

few are not
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87221
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.01.2008
09:54PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

some people are not.

"

most people are

few are not
"

"

most people are

few are not
"

yeah....true.

its a modern day society thing.

itll change though.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87224
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.01.2008
10:06PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

i knew this gorgeous woman.

she had a great " mind " too.

she changed me with late night talks.

i didnt know what she looked like for a long time.

or at least...........their is still a shroud of confusion over this one.

she changed me cause she didnt want to be alone.

i was sensitive enoufe.

orgional of the species.

haha.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87226
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from juliocm
Oct.01.2008
10:47PM EDT 
Email juliocm
vertical line

I use to be overweight and with terrible self esteem. My world was limited. It was untill I realized that its not my previledge to eat more than my share. Furthermore  I must take care of my body because its in it that i make my journey. So I got off my couch, hit the beach, parks, or any place I could find and exercised 2+ hrs a day for 5 days a week for 5 years now. Lost 50+ lbs and  to know that Im fit for any job my boss throws at me feels great! Its not an ego thing, Its a respect for myself thing. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87227
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.01.2008
11:05PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line And how fortunate to be able lose the unwanted body weight. One loses the weight and gains the freedom of acceptance, accepting any task.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87229
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.01.2008
11:21PM EDT 
Email shayne

i knew this gorgeous woman.

she had a great " mind " too.

she changed me with late night talks.

i didnt know what she looked like for a long time.

or at least...........their is still a shroud of confusion over this one.

she changed me cause she didnt want to be alone.

i was sensitive enoufe.

orgional of the species.

haha.

"

"

plus others.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87230
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.02.2008
12:19AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I think we pick our bodies, or someone else's. Well yeah, we pick mates in this life. We pick mates based on a whole set of different karmic conditions, until we settle down for the one, or ones who give us the greatest options of realization, as seeing Self in the other, by being "in" with first the ones we love. So, in going one step further, out on a limb, we pick each thought to reside in the domain of awakened acceptance, until every thought is allowed the freedom to be, one in the body.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87231
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.02.2008
12:27AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line the body is not interested in anything you are interested in:
looking good
feeling good
zen
exercise
eating right
dieting
new experiences
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87232
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.02.2008
12:28AM EDT 
Email 9999999

I use to be overweight and with terrible self esteem. My world was limited. It was untill I realized that its not my previledge to eat more than my share. Furthermore  I must take care of my body because its in it that i make my journey. So I got off my couch, hit the beach, parks, or any place I could find and exercised 2+ hrs a day for 5 days a week for 5 years now. Lost 50+ lbs and  to know that Im fit for any job my boss throws at me feels great! Its not an ego thing, Its a respect for myself thing. 

"

lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87233
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.02.2008
05:41AM EDT 
vertical line

I have a mental picture of you, Shayne.  Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

I see a leather cap, probably biker style, but no swastika.  It might have a 'Harley' emblem on it.  That would be okay since it doesn't necessarily commit to any particular ideology.

I see a black leather vest, and a black leather wallet sticking out of the back pocket of your black jeans, attached by a chain.  The jeans have little holes in them from encounters with battery acid.

There is a mustard or catsup stain on your white tee shirt from a drip that had no chance of making it to the ground past your protruding belly.  The shirt only covers your belly when you are standing up straight, otherwise your belly has a habit of peeking out from underneath like a big eye.  Not your fault.  Cotton shrinks, and the shirt has been washed several thousand times.

And also there are black harness boots, which you shine sometimes, especially when in a manic phase.

Your hair and beard are probably dark also.  Sideburns connected to the mustache and goatee combo by about 3 days worth of stubble.

How did I do?  If I win, you owe me a brewski !!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87236
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.02.2008
09:41AM EDT 
Email shayne

I see a leather cap, probably biker style, but no swastika.  It might have a 'Harley' emblem on it.  That would be okay since it doesn't necessarily commit to any particular ideology.

I see a black leather vest, and a black leather wallet sticking out of the back pocket of your black jeans, attached by a chain.  The jeans have little holes in them from encounters with battery acid.

There is a mustard or catsup stain on your white tee shirt from a drip that had no chance of making it to the ground past your protruding belly.  The shirt only covers your belly when you are standing up straight, otherwise your belly has a habit of peeking out from underneath like a big eye.  Not your fault.  Cotton shrinks, and the shirt has been washed several thousand times.

And also there are black harness boots, which you shine sometimes, especially when in a manic phase.

Your hair and beard are probably dark also.  Sideburns connected to the mustache and goatee combo by about 3 days worth of stubble.

"

"

nope.

haha.used to have a wallet attached to a chain.i used to wear bandanas years ago.and i never wore my leather bandana.and im blonde with blue eyes.no sideburns.cleany shaven ( most of the time ) and no facial hair.hair real short.you where right about the leather goods though. i wear em during the wintertime.not much of a belly either.im actually quite thin. 160 lbs.and i wear those a shirts or thermal shirts.boots.....just work boots. but have always wore them.and i flirt with all the pretty girls.haha. got a broken nose from too many fights as a child though. haha.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87246
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.02.2008
09:04PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

Quote: "I think we pick our bodies, or someone else's. Well yeah, we pick mates in this life. We pick mates based on a whole set of different karmic conditions, until we settle down for the one, or ones who give us the greatest options of realization, as seeing Self in the other, by being "in" with first the ones we love. So, in going one step further, out on a limb, we pick each thought to reside in the domain of awakened acceptance, until every thought is allowed the freedom to be, one in the body. "

i attempted to find my soul mate. if their is such a thing. someone who could keep up with me. i found her. then lost her. maybe next lifetime.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87270
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.03.2008
07:49AM EDT 

Quote: "I think we pick our bodies, or someone else's. Well yeah, we pick mates in this life. We pick mates based on a whole set of different karmic conditions, until we settle down for the one, or ones who give us the greatest options of realization, as seeing Self in the other, by being "in" with first the ones we love. So, in going one step further, out on a limb, we pick each thought to reside in the domain of awakened acceptance, until every thought is allowed the freedom to be, one in the body. "

i attempted to find my soul mate. if their is such a thing. someone who could keep up with me. i found her. then lost her. maybe next lifetime.

"

"

I have not ever been in love on Earth.  But with the Spirit, yes. I am fully committed..

I get all I need in dreaming, from the Spirit.  But I do still like to go out drinking and dancing, and flirting with all the girls, at least the pretty ones.  I get a little bit emphatuated once in a while, but only for a short time.  Two or three dreams and its over. 

That is to say that in dreaming the Spirit will sometimes take the form of women that I have become taken with.  It all works out.  I love the Spirit more than anything, and it is everything to me, literally.  

The Spirit is my one true love, and if that seems narcisistic, I'll fall back on the saying, "To thine own self be true."

If you're looking for a soulmate, shayne, look inside rather than outside.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87271
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.03.2008
07:59AM EDT 

"

"

nope.

haha.used to have a wallet attached to a chain.i used to wear bandanas years ago.and i never wore my leather bandana.and im blonde with blue eyes.no sideburns.cleany shaven ( most of the time ) and no facial hair.hair real short.you where right about the leather goods though. i wear em during the wintertime.not much of a belly either.im actually quite thin. 160 lbs.and i wear those a shirts or thermal shirts.boots.....just work boots. but have always wore them.and i flirt with all the pretty girls.haha. got a broken nose from too many fights as a child though. haha.

"

"

Ah, you lady killer you.

I've been cleanly shaven since my beard turned gray some time ago.  Now I'm 54, so no more.  But now my gray has climbed up above the sideburns so I can't shave all of it off.  I hope that 'distinguished' stuff is true. 

I don't doubt you've been a fighter.  Yeah, me too.  I've still got a scar on my forehead from a rock fight when I was two.  We weren't allowed to cross the street  so the group of kids on each side would yell taunts and throw rocks.

Now I don't fight anymore.  I will defend myself, as much as necessary, but only if physically attacked.  Otherwise I will do my best to avoid conflict, for all concerned, including myself.  Still, more often than not, I've got a gun and a knife, and the dog too.

Don't use a knife if hands will do.  Don't use a gun if a knife will do.  And if at all possible, use your brain and just walk away.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87272
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.03.2008
09:36AM EDT 
Email shayne

"

"

I have not ever been in love on Earth.  But with the Spirit, yes. I am fully committed..

I get all I need in dreaming, from the Spirit.  But I do still like to go out drinking and dancing, and flirting with all the girls, at least the pretty ones.  I get a little bit emphatuated once in a while, but only for a short time.  Two or three dreams and its over. 

That is to say that in dreaming the Spirit will sometimes take the form of women that I have become taken with.  It all works out.  I love the Spirit more than anything, and it is everything to me, literally.  

The Spirit is my one true love, and if that seems narcisistic, I'll fall back on the saying, "To thine own self be true."

If you're looking for a soulmate, shayne, look inside rather than outside.

"

"

if you love yourself you are capable of loving another.

love finds love.

its not a question of if its a question of when.

im in no hurry.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87280
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Oct.03.2008
10:07AM EDT 
vertical line

Who is the 'we' that picks anything?

The ego IS the 'individual self'. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise you would not even be able to conjure up a notion of a concept of an ego.

You are ego. Without ego you would be not.

You/ego/contrast/paradox/reality/nothingness.

If you dont believe me then go to the mirror and ask yourself who you are.

You will see the above 6 there.

Shame is a very negative potentially addictive experience.

Dont get hooked on that feeling.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87289
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.03.2008
10:09AM EDT 
Email shayne

Who is the 'we' that picks anything?

The ego IS the 'individual self'. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise you would not even be able to conjure up a notion of a concept of an ego.

You are ego. Without ego you would be not.

You/ego/contrast/paradox/reality/nothingness.

If you dont believe me then go to the mirror and ask yourself who you are.

You will see the above 6 there.

Shame is a very negative potentially addictive experience.

Dont get hooked on that feeling.

"

"

if i go to the mirror and ask myself who i am.....i am just that. nothing more. nothing less.

i am the thing asking.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87291
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.03.2008
10:49AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

at the same token taking pride in oneself and dressing nicely and using makeup is good.

"

"

how much make-up do you use?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87307
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.03.2008
10:51AM EDT 
Email Lynnoh

"

"

nope.

"

"

you owe a beer... why do you limit yourself to just one form? so what if you are seen in this way... you are all so silly

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87308
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.04.2008
01:30AM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

makeup is good for what?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87349
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.04.2008
01:42AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line manipulating others to get what you want
fooling yourself
having fun
or not

~ there is no makeup ~
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87350
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.04.2008
04:07AM EDT 
Email shayne

"

"

makeup is good for what?

"

"

im just saying theirs nothing wrong with wearing makeup. even your primitive socities have known to do this. some woman are gorgeous without it. its just a choice. my ex didnt where alot of makeup. my previous gf did. either way..........i dont care.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87354
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.04.2008
04:51AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

not love yourself.

just love.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87355
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Bluerose
Oct.04.2008
09:53AM EDT 
vertical line We don’t pick the hand we are dealt but we can learn to play it very well.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 87371
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this TENZIN GYASTO, XIV DALAI LAMA
by Olivier Follmi
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s