history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Sep 01 2014 07:12AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Once upon a time, in a certain town there was a coffin maker who opened and was running a store where he sold the coffins he made himself to the customers in the neighborhood. The popuplation in the town increased day-by-day.

The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: BIOLOGICAL COMPUTERS
vertical line Posted on Oct.14.2008 @ 06:36AM EDT by immortal 1

From Rustic:  "The human brain is a biologically created thinking machine that has evolved for both personal self-preservation and survival of the species.  The ego, which is a selfish motivating force, is needed to protect our colony of living cells (the physical body) from danger and to keep our cells replenished with food and water.  If you did not have an ego, you would not be able to think, speak, or find food, shelter, and clothing."

The brain is an electronic computer millions of years older than its machine counterparts that we are so proud of.  However I do not believe it is the seat, or cause, of the ego.  That is a product of consciousness, and is influenced by the degree to which the individual lacks awareness of Universal Consciousness.

I say this because I work in a haunted Inn where many fellow workers and guests, as well as myself, have had encounters with ghosts.  Personally, they have played practical jokes on me from time to time, so their personalities are still intact.  Since the ego is part of the personality, it can't be produced by the bio-computer brain.

So the ego doesn't go away after death, or enlightenment, which is even more of a death.  It is tempered by awareness.  But it is such a part of who we are, and so necessary to our 'doings', that it is likely that it never goes away.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.14.2008
06:49AM EDT 
vertical line I posted that but they look like Chris Calder's words. But who knows where the seat of the ego is? Perhaps it could all be explained by the realisation that we don't live in a physical universe.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88016
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.14.2008
07:19AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line no thought, no ego
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88019
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.14.2008
07:51AM EDT 
vertical line no thought, no Rolls Royce

no name, no pack drill

no woman, no cry

no mind, no matter
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88026
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.14.2008
09:17AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line To the Woods I go!

Big winds mean downed limbs, and my thumb is One.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88033
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.14.2008
11:41AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line seems like a thought to me......thats about it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88041
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.14.2008
11:44AM EDT 
vertical line An Enlightened Ego? What a ghost is that?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88042
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.14.2008
12:24PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "no thought, no Rolls Royce

no name, no pack drill

no woman, no cry

no mind, no matter
"

no no no

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88045
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.14.2008
03:21PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line no reasoning, no problems
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88067
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.15.2008
07:05AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "An Enlightened Ego? What a ghost is that?"

I'm not really sure what an ego is.  It isn't separate from your self, but it isn't fair to say that it is your self either.

Maybe your ego is just the current state of your personality.  And the same thing if you are dead, or if you are enlightened.  Or if you are experiencing nothingness.  Or if you are Lehish.

Whatever the ego is, or isn't, it seems to need constant tending.  Many times when I catch myself wanting I stop and say to myself, a few times, "Needing nothing.  Wanting nothing.  Being nothing."

We get caught up in 'doing' things, so then we come to think that we need things to do what we are 'doing'.  And its important that we have these things because what we are doing is important.  And we are important because what we are doing is important. 

What it all adds up to is that human endeavor is geared to promote self-importance.  But we don't really need anything, unless we want something, and that only happens to zen monks when they forget that they are nothing.

If you have understanding, you don't even need to breathe.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88088
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.15.2008
08:07AM EDT 
vertical line This annihilation/killing/accepting the ego business is an abuse of the ego - it's commentary - the ego-centricity of me me me, I I I, mine mine mine, a negation of love. The so-called 'dying' of the ego is the letting go of ego-centricity. When the ego is let go, it is received back, transformed by love, no longer the arrogant little tyrant.

The only effort required is to turn, turn to the source, a listening to the question, "Who am I?" All questions of relationship and identity live in this question.

down to the lake, I
up to the temple, I am
down to the lake, I
up to the temple, I am
down to the lake, I
up to the temple, I am

Water into Wine

(((((((((((((((((((((((vibrating)))))))))))))))))))))))
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88094
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.15.2008
09:48AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

to me ego is the idea of oneself. not the actual person.

lets do a google search shall we?

http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm

oshos explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego

freuds translation.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88097
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.15.2008
03:36PM EDT 
vertical line Ego is a poorly defined concept used by psychologists for explaining what they think needs an explanation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88129
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.16.2008
10:09PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "

I'm not really sure what an ego is.  It isn't separate from your self, but it isn't fair to say that it is your self either.

Maybe your ego is just the current state of your personality.  And the same thing if you are dead, or if you are enlightened.  Or if you are experiencing nothingness.  Or if you are Lehish.

Whatever the ego is, or isn't, it seems to need constant tending.  Many times when I catch myself wanting I stop and say to myself, a few times, "Needing nothing.  Wanting nothing.  Being nothing."

We get caught up in 'doing' things, so then we come to think that we need things to do what we are 'doing'.  And its important that we have these things because what we are doing is important.  And we are important because what we are doing is important. 

What it all adds up to is that human endeavor is geared to promote self-importance.  But we don't really need anything, unless we want something, and that only happens to zen monks when they forget that they are nothing.

"

"

hehe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88142
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.18.2008
09:12PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

"

No no I'll breathe thanks - that's where science and religion are one, the connection that some like to make just so they can break . . . it - a longing for deathhhhhh. Buyou sound quite important, so you could be right in the head.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88170
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.21.2008
08:08AM EDT 
vertical line

No no I wll breathe thanks - that is where science and religion are one, the connection that some like to make just so they can break . . . it - a longing for deathhhhhh. But you sound quite important, so you could be right in the head.

I do not fear death because I see no division between life and death.

I do not long for death, an end to it all, because death does not end anything.

Death does necessarily involve considerable change in ones circumstances, but no more than a house fire, or changing jobs, or moving from one place to another, leaving things behind that no longer apply, that are no longer needed, or that are simply lost.

If you lose your life, you do not necessarily lose your existence.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88210
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.21.2008
11:14AM EDT 
vertical line It's not my life to lose, mate.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88219
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.22.2008
09:06AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "It's not my life to lose, mate."

Whose is it?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88234
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.22.2008
02:34PM EDT 
vertical line Not mine.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88249
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA (DETAIL)
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s