history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Oct 01 2014 12:17PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Phap Hien was a Vietnamese Zen master. He lived in the late 5th century and early the 6th century.
When he was a young monk at the Phap Van Temple he met Vinitaruci (?-594) who was one of the
successors of Seng-tsan, the Third Patriarch... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: HOW TO BE ZEN WITH OFFENSIVE PEOPLE
vertical line Posted on Oct.20.2008 @ 09:03PM EDT by zengirl

I am new to some of these principles. I am also studying the course in miracles which seems to be along these lines somewhat. I have come across a room mother from my daughters class who is so RUDE to me in her e-mails. Very hurtful using sarcastic humor to put me down. She does not seem to want to work as a team with me as the other room mother. HOw do I tolerate this without stress. And how does one in a zenlike state respond to offenses such as this ? I have stopped responding thus far after apologizing if I had offended her in some way. My greatest fear is a huge confrontation in the classroom and face to face. She will be my spiritual practice for the next couple weeks for sure! Any words for a newbie??

Blessings,Lisa

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email zengirl
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.20.2008
10:39PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line *HOw do I tolerate this without stress?

Understand that you feel hurt by someone else's remarks because you think that what they are saying says something about you. Imagine if in her emails she had called you a "pink elephant with ten eyes". You would probably laugh, be confused, turn of your computer, or tell your friends how absurd what she said was (among numerous other possible reactions). You know that a being called a "green elephant with ten eyes" actually says nothing about what you are--so you do not take it seriously or feel hurt about it. However, you might be taking what she says seriously because you have been convinced otherwise by nearly everyone and everything you have ever known.

Is this clear? What do you understand about this?

Reflect on the following:
what is it that i believe that might be causing me to feel hurt?
how was that belief acquired?
what do you think you think you are getting from that belief?

what do you think you want out of your spiritual practice?
what do you think you are getting out of your spiritual practice?

what are the assumptions that all of your beliefs depend on?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88203
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.21.2008
07:29AM EDT 
vertical line

She has her buddha nature, and you have yours.

Clearly the two don't mix well.

Keep the moral high-ground.  Do not lose your innocence in the matter.

Speak your truth calmly and clearly, no matter what she says or does.

Do not even try to get the better of her, and in that way she cannot get the better of you.

Stick to the facts and in truth, and with honesty, let the chips fall where they may.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88204
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Oct.21.2008
08:33AM EDT 
vertical line

You are hereby allowed to respect your self.

Do not allow anyone or anything to disrespect you.

Let them know where the line is in the sand.

Be respectful your self.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88212
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.21.2008
11:13AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Do not even try to get the better of her, and in that way she cannot get the better of you.

Stick to the facts and in truth, and with honesty, let the chips fall where they may.

"

hahahahaha you wouldn't recognise honesty if it called itself something else. But you know all about trying to get the better, don't you, hmmmm?

"Moral high ground"? I'd like to hear the other side of the dispute. And what's a 'room mother' when it's out of the room?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88218
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.21.2008
11:37AM EDT 
vertical line Anyone who claims to know 'how to be zen' [with or without anything], is telling porky pies.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88226
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.21.2008
12:23PM EDT 
vertical line Is it really true that she is so RUDE to you? Are you absolutely sure? Is it maybe more your thoughts about her putting you down that are hurting you? Without those thoughts, would you still suffer?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88227
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.21.2008
07:47PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line what is a room mother?

and what do you think being zen is?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88229
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.22.2008
08:55AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

hahahahaha you wouldn't recognise honesty if it called itself something else. But you know all about trying to get the better, don't you, hmmmm?

"Moral high ground"? I'd like to hear the other side of the dispute. And what's a 'room mother' when it's out of the room?
"

"

"

My, my, rustic.  Are your hemmoroids acting up again?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88230
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.22.2008
02:35PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

"

"

"

Now you sound like lehish.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88250
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.23.2008
04:10AM EDT 
vertical line

Sorry Lisa, but a lot of the people who frequent this site are not Zen Buddhists. So if you are looking for a Zen Buddhist approach to a problem, and broach it here, you have to filter some things out.

I do not know why they come here if they are not even Buddhists, let alone Zen Buddhist Monks.  I remember one guy some time ago that was harrassing me here and it later came to light that he was in a mental institution.  I guess they still let them use the computer to access the Internet in those places.

There are some awakened people here.  But there are also some who appear to be just a bit nuts.  And it is even a greater shame that they likely will not find anything here to help them because meditation requires an ability to concentrate, and they lack that most of all.

I wish them well.  Namaste.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88261
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.23.2008
09:30AM EDT 
vertical line I'm probably one of those who shouldn't qualify for writing here but I choose to do it anyway.

About the main question: When hostile people approach me I usually remain calm and listen to their speech without concerning myself with it too much. They usually seem to have a problem but it's not my problem so I am usually very indifferent and calm. Stop caring for what they say - that'll help in the beginning. :)

Other than that I think you could benefit from excercising some meditation and martial arts. Those are good for the self esteem.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88281
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zengirl
Oct.23.2008
09:45AM EDT 
Email zengirl
vertical line

Quote: "Is it really true that she is so RUDE to you? Are you absolutely sure? Is it maybe more your thoughts about her putting you down that are hurting you? Without those thoughts, would you still suffer?"

So true.. something to think about. Thanks for your response!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88285
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zengirl
Oct.23.2008
09:52AM EDT 
Email zengirl
vertical line

To 9999999: Thanks for your response. I have also e-mailed you. A room mother is the parent of an elementary classroom ( my daughter is 8 ) that organizes holiday parties etc in the classroom. My dfinition of zen ( this may not be accurate) is attainment of inner peace and tranquility despite outside influences.

Immortal 1... Thanks for your response as well and the "heads up"

zen-zen... Thanks for your response as well. It is welcomed. I am new to all of this and not a Buddhist, but a Christian but I find that the Buddhist teachings line up with my Christian teachings and help make me a better person :)

I could really use a mentor so thanks and blessings to all of you! Even the guy with hemmoroids:)

LIght, Love and Peace,

Lisa

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88287
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Oct.23.2008
09:58AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line you're welcome hahah
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88288
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.23.2008
10:05AM EDT 
vertical line It's quite sad the level of intended offensiveness, manipulation and ignorance which prevails on this forum. The heads up, as you call it, from Immortal number 1 is a case in point - this guy, like you, knows nothing whatsoever about rustic but because he is an arch manipulator and controller will say anything to further his own offensiveness and judgementalism. Then there are the others who talk about making connections so they can break the connections in one huge dishonest joke - a heads up where the sun don't shine.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88289
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Oct.23.2008
10:21AM EDT 
vertical line "HOw do I tolerate this without stress?"
Change you`re mind, might be the person is disgusted with how you behold her or something.. Just my tip..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88295
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.23.2008
10:31AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

lots of replies.........ya sure you just not being oversensitive?

just react naturally........some people need to be told off.

its a growing process.

haha

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88297
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Oct.23.2008
10:33AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line i think tea is in order about right now
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88299
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.23.2008
11:17AM EDT 
vertical line No one seems to appreciate the real miracles. Perhaps all the harassed, intolerant and offended people should get together and harass and be RUDE to someone else.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88306
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.23.2008
11:37AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Be quiet!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88308
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.23.2008
11:50AM EDT 
vertical line Too few exclamation marks.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88313
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.23.2008
01:56PM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "My dfinition of zen ( this may not be accurate) is attainment of inner peace and tranquility despite outside influences."

It may also help you to consider the line that separates inner from outside as something artificial, a matter of convention

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88318
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.23.2008
02:43PM EDT 
vertical line Lisa, Zengirl,

I feel that having a mentor would not be in your interest since that would lead you to being dependent on someone else's advice. And if you do really find a suitable mentor then it's probably better if you're able to see him in person and build trust face-to-face.

I am not fond of giving direct advice because it's usually not welcome or it doesn't really fit well. However, I try to give it now, so please forgive me if I'm arrogant and wrong:

I think that if you're having trouble dealing with offensive people then you should develop your self-esteem. Having a mentor would only shift that responsibility away from yourself - where it naturally belongs. Poetically speaking I think you need to 'harden your knuckles' so that whatever comes you're not too much surprised about it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88327
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.23.2008
03:13PM EDT 
vertical line

It takes two for a conflict, but for the most persistent conflicts one is enough.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88338
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.23.2008
03:46PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line iiiiiii!!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88342
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.23.2008
03:47PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line iiiiiii!!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!iiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88343
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.23.2008
04:22PM EDT 
vertical line It seems woodsy there is demonstrating the conflict of one person :D Synonymous with the famous 'one hand clapping' eh?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88349
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Oct.23.2008
09:26PM EDT 
vertical line "dealing with offensive people then you should develop your self-esteem"

Think zen-zen is at the core of the issue here. Be... the grown up, master of the situation or something?... Chief.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88359
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Oct.23.2008
09:28PM EDT 

It takes two for a conflict, but for the most persistent conflicts one is enough.

"
Oooohhh, a treasure for my "Yoda collection!:) Kewl!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88361
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.23.2008
09:34PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I just find a spot on the floor to stare at, and if the conflict doesn't ease up... I reach out and touch that person. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88366
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.23.2008
11:10PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Conflict is not someone else's business, to waste.  Some people's conflicts reflect a hell realm they are in, so compassion is the first course of action to help release them from the suffering. One cannot underestimate the value of every conflict as a test meaning much more than a temporary problem to avoid or escalate, but we have never learned to value a conflict situation, or see the calm surrounding every conflict, and that being the real focus manifesting our own gateway through enlightenment, and leading a way to all other's in conflict, every conflict in ourselves even. What is in any other is in me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88372
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.24.2008
03:37AM EDT 

Quote: "My dfinition of zen ( this may not be accurate) is attainment of inner peace and tranquility despite outside influences."

It may also help you to consider the line that separates inner from outside as something artificial, a matter of convention

"

"

Zen Buddhism.  The Buddhism part can be defined as the religion of the same name.  The Zen part is indefinable.  But inner peace and tranquility are yours if you find it. 

I think of it as 'seeking Zen through Buddhism'.  Woodsman on the other hand is a Zen Christian.  Seeking Zen through Christ.   No harm there.  I believe Jesus was a Buddha after all, and a rose by any other name ....

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88375
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.24.2008
03:40AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "It's quite sad the level of intended offensiveness, manipulation and ignorance which prevails on this forum. The heads up, as you call it, from Immortal number 1 is a case in point - this guy, like you, knows nothing whatsoever about rustic but because he is an arch manipulator and controller will say anything to further his own offensiveness and judgementalism. Then there are the others who talk about making connections so they can break the connections in one huge dishonest joke - a heads up where the sun don't shine. "

I am not out to get you, Rustic, but I am sure someone is.  Probably the Government.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88376
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.24.2008
06:27AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "i think tea is in order about right now"

:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88395
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from raeej91
Oct.24.2008
06:41AM EDT 
vertical line

Even if someone is rude, mean, and hurtful toward you, you should know that there is always a way to be kind.  If you think there is no way to be kind, that is your limitation.  Even if you are confronted with the worst kind of person in the world, you can be kind.  It may be difficult, but it can be done.  However, just because there are difficulties don't be fooled into believing you cannot be kind.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do or a spokesperson for zen, but whatever you want to do with this person, you can do it.  If you want to be kind, be kind.  If you want to be mean, be mean.  It's up to you.  There are really no rules.  Just to have faith in yourself in doing what you choose to do and giving a wholehearted effort is a good zen response.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88396
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.24.2008
08:22AM EDT 

Quote: "It's quite sad the level of intended offensiveness, manipulation and ignorance which prevails on this forum. The heads up, as you call it, from Immortal number 1 is a case in point - this guy, like you, knows nothing whatsoever about rustic but because he is an arch manipulator and controller will say anything to further his own offensiveness and judgementalism. Then there are the others who talk about making connections so they can break the connections in one huge dishonest joke - a heads up where the sun don't shine. "

I am not out to get you, Rustic, but I am sure someone is.  Probably the Government.

"

Even if you were out to get me as you put it, you'd fail. You continually criticise and bemoan posters on this board who you say aren't zen buddhists, aren't buddhists, don't talk about the satori they haven't attained, unlike yourself who talks endlessly about the same, you refer to imaginary fancies that you are being heckled and that you have been harassed by person and/or persons unknown - you wonder why those 'other' posters are here, you refer to 'them' in disparaging ways yadda yadda yadda. So in this way you project your inner turmoil outward - similar to the original poster in this thread - all conflict in the world is the result of the projection outward of inner turmoil. Those poor downtrodden, heckled, unrespected, offended, hurt, hard done to complainers, then come together in the shared comfort of doing to someone else what they claim is being done to them. By the way ' the government' isn't a person.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88404
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.27.2008
01:10PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line in this snuff-film movie called life you are the one who gets it in the final scene...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88578
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zengirl
Oct.27.2008
01:52PM EDT 
Email zengirl
vertical line

YOu have ALL been so helpful! TRULY ! So thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think the hardest thing for us to do as humans ( at least for me) is to admit weakness. I agree with the fact that it is probably MY self esteem that is lacking and that as 9999 told me in an earlier conversation if she said I was a "pink elephant" would i believe it? That really hit home. This I know I began studying these principles to gain awareness into myself and overcome some of the lies I tell myself. LOVE THE PERSON WHO TOLD ME TO HAVE A CUP OF TEA! Actually a glass of red wine may be better suited while I pity myself! Ha! I found each and EVERYONE of your posts helpful some made me think and others made me laugh!!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88582
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.27.2008
02:33PM EDT 
vertical line So would you like to hang around for a while here?

Perhaps another cup of tea or so? :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88588
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.27.2008
02:38PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Not that tea in a bottle, sweetened though, it was cheap! Give me water instead! please, unsweetened, in a bucket, for the bunnies..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88590
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.27.2008
09:30PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "in this snuff-film movie called life you are the one who gets it in the final scene..."

gets what ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88663
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.27.2008
09:41PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line killed!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88669
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.27.2008
09:41PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line "you" "being" "the"  "imaginary" "character" "of" "course"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88670
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.27.2008
09:50PM EDT 
vertical line Be rude to others. Get some practise. You'll see what sort of mentality it takes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88672
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.27.2008
11:23PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Every rudeness hides a suffering pain.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88683
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.28.2008
04:13AM EDT 

YOu have ALL been so helpful! TRULY ! So thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think the hardest thing for us to do as humans ( at least for me) is to admit weakness. I agree with the fact that it is probably MY self esteem that is lacking and that as 9999 told me in an earlier conversation if she said I was a "pink elephant" would i believe it? That really hit home. This I know I began studying these principles to gain awareness into myself and overcome some of the lies I tell myself. LOVE THE PERSON WHO TOLD ME TO HAVE A CUP OF TEA! Actually a glass of red wine may be better suited while I pity myself! Ha! I found each and EVERYONE of your posts helpful some made me think and others made me laugh!!!

"

"

Shunryo Suzuki, founder of a Buddhist Temple in San Francisco some 40 years ago, told a story about when his temple was visited by a Zen Master of his acquaintance from Japan.  The man was livid and ranted and raved about the way it was set up and the way it was operated.   But Shunyro Suzuki took him aside for a cup of tea and after that all was well.

He had simply explained that his temple was different than those in Japan because he was introducing Zen Buddhism to a Western audience.

I suppose what you have found out here is that Zen Buddhists have as many human failings as everyone else.

My answer to your question is still the same.  Do not let an aggressive person get your goat.  Stay calm.  Stick to the facts.  They want to get you upset, to throw you off balance.  Speak your truth calmly and clearly, and then just let it be.

There are all kinds of people in the world, and in Zen Buddhism, as in all religions. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88684
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.28.2008
04:17AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

Even if you were out to get me as you put it, you'd fail. You continually criticise and bemoan posters on this board who you say aren't zen buddhists, aren't buddhists, don't talk about the satori they haven't attained, unlike yourself who talks endlessly about the same, you refer to imaginary fancies that you are being heckled and that you have been harassed by person and/or persons unknown - you wonder why those 'other' posters are here, you refer to 'them' in disparaging ways yadda yadda yadda. So in this way you project your inner turmoil outward - similar to the original poster in this thread - all conflict in the world is the result of the projection outward of inner turmoil. Those poor downtrodden, heckled, unrespected, offended, hurt, hard done to complainers, then come together in the shared comfort of doing to someone else what they claim is being done to them. By the way ' the government' isn't a person. "

"

Even if you were out to get me as you put it, you'd fail. You continually criticise and bemoan posters on this board who you say aren't zen buddhists, aren't buddhists, don't talk about the satori they haven't attained, unlike yourself who talks endlessly about the same, you refer to imaginary fancies that you are being heckled and that you have been harassed by person and/or persons unknown - you wonder why those 'other' posters are here, you refer to 'them' in disparaging ways yadda yadda yadda. So in this way you project your inner turmoil outward - similar to the original poster in this thread - all conflict in the world is the result of the projection outward of inner turmoil. Those poor downtrodden, heckled, unrespected, offended, hurt, hard done to complainers, then come together in the shared comfort of doing to someone else what they claim is being done to them. By the way ' the government' isn't a person.
"

It is unfortunate that you are not happy.  I feel fine.  Namaste.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88685
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.28.2008
04:19AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "in this snuff-film movie called life you are the one who gets it in the final scene..."

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!  Very good!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88686
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.28.2008
04:25AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "

"

"

Buddha-like Excellence?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88687
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.28.2008
04:33AM EDT 
vertical line

I was going to take a left turn to go to the post office today, but there was a big fat woman in a big fat SUV in the middle of the road, sucking down a milkshake from McDonalds.  I could not get around her so I drove on.

I was irritated.  That was my initial reaction.  But as I went on a couple of intersections and turned left there, I realized that it had made no difference to me as the distance traveled was the same.

So then I thought to myself, why let her problems become my problems.  I can go my own way just as easily.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88688
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.28.2008
04:35AM EDT 

"

"

Buddha-like Excellence?

"

Just making light of an unpleasant situation.  And you?

"

"

Buddha-like Excellence?

"

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88689
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.28.2008
04:40AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "killed! "

hehe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88690
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.28.2008
04:52AM EDT 

"

I don't know what you're referring to. Her problem of being in your way whilst at the same time not ever being aware of your existence? (Of course, I don't really know what the situation was.)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88692
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.28.2008
04:54AM EDT 
vertical line

"Buddha-like Excellence?"

The wikipedia reference to Freudian analysis is appreciated, although I do prefer Jung. 

The Id, Ego, and Superego concepts offered by Freud, which are at least as interesting in human analysis as Ansel Adams Zone System of previsualising a photograph, do seem to have practical application.  But in any event such things are just conceptual templates.

I would say that the Id corresponds to the conscious state of a human; the underlying Ego to the unconscious operations of the mind; and the Superego to the connection that we all have with Buddha.

So Buddha-like Excellence, I suppose, would be to bring the Buddha Superego part of ourselves into our daily lives so that we can act accordingly, rather than to just react on an Id level as tempered by the unknown factors provided by the Ego.

What have I really got against fat people anyway.  Nothing really, that I know of.  But evidently there is something there on an unconscious ego level, given my reaction to the lady in the SUV.  Something or someone in my past I suppose.

A lot of things are just too much to think about.  The middle way of Buddhism is not about figuring things out.  It is simply to stay cool.  Stay on an even keel.  Like the strings of an instrument your nerves should be tight enough to play correctly.  Too tight and they might break.  Too loose and there is no sound. So we just try to stay in tune.  I did not make that up.  I think I read it somewhere on this site.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88693
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.28.2008
05:13AM EDT 
vertical line I like the ("Freudian") list of defense mechanisms and, otherwise, I think his work is a good example of one (very particular) way of classifying and documenting human consciousness.

I don't think he was into Buddha so much (as the "super ego"), which I think can be more accurately understood as the internalized morality of an individual. He also claimed it was (partially?) unconscious. But I don't think anything would affect individual behavior on such a high level without conscious manifestation. I see this (internalized morality) as the self-limiting potential of humanity to restrain, restrict, obsess, reject and avoid.

If you were to ask me what is right, I would say, "whatever works" ;)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88695
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.28.2008
06:28AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line hehe.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88706
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Oct.28.2008
06:56AM EDT 
vertical line

Was Buddha a buddhist?

What does Buddha mean?

Did the Buddha not say that we all have the buddha nature?

What is the buddha nature?

What is a non-buddhist?

Is a non-buddhist possible if we all have the buddha nature?

Answer all of these questions buddhists or dont post no more.

I dont have to because I am not a buddhist.

But I have the buddha nature though. A bloke from many years ago said so.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88707
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.28.2008
06:58AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line jabbering away about a made-up word: buddha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88708
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.28.2008
10:16AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line ok, let me try...

buuddaa buuddaahhh  bbb  uuu dddaaa  bbbuuuddddhhhhhaaaaa.........
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88720
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.28.2008
10:18AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

Even if you were out to get me as you put it, you'd fail. You continually criticise and bemoan posters on this board who you say aren't zen buddhists, aren't buddhists, don't talk about the satori they haven't attained, unlike yourself who talks endlessly about the same, you refer to imaginary fancies that you are being heckled and that you have been harassed by person and/or persons unknown - you wonder why those 'other' posters are here, you refer to 'them' in disparaging ways yadda yadda yadda. So in this way you project your inner turmoil outward - similar to the original poster in this thread - all conflict in the world is the result of the projection outward of inner turmoil. Those poor downtrodden, heckled, unrespected, offended, hurt, hard done to complainers, then come together in the shared comfort of doing to someone else what they claim is being done to them. By the way ' the government' isn't a person. "

"

"

It is unfortunate that you are not happy.  I feel fine.  Namaste.

"

The sniper in the brain - resist not evil hawhawhaw best wishes.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88721
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this CALLIGRAPHY SCROLL, TRANQUILITY
by George Caso
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s