history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Apr 24 2014 02:02AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: MEDITATION BY ZEN-ZEN
vertical line Posted on Oct.25.2008 @ 04:19AM EDT by immortal 1

From zen-zen:

My latest advances have led me to a situation where I have encountered something completely new. This is difficult for me to explain and understand. It is as if the quality of the practice had escalated to a completely different level. The quietness has always been there, but whereas the world still existed before, now it completely disappears as if it never existed.

Can you share about this?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Oct.25.2008
04:25AM EDT 
vertical line How is it that ONE knows this?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88508
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.25.2008
04:28AM EDT 
vertical line

Meditation keeps growing, changing, so I do not know where it will go.

Where it has come so far is to a point that I see that it is through the one being, Buddha, that everything is connected.

Life has become a continual meditation.  I am in Buddha, everything is alive, all is one. 

Curiosity is the most valuable thought or emotion these days.   Waiting to see what Buddha will come up with next.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88509
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.25.2008
04:39AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "

Where it has come so far is to a point that I see that it is through the one being, Buddha, that everything is connected.

Life has become a continual meditation.  I am in Buddha, everything is alive, all is one. 

Curiosity is the most valuable thought or emotion these days.   Waiting to see what Buddha will come up with next.

"

"

well see what i ALLOW buddha to come up with next.

hahaha.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88512
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.27.2008
09:38AM EDT 
vertical line "How is it that ONE knows this?"

A good question - if the void was complete then how could one know that the void was there at all? How could any information escape the void? Is this what you mean?

I try to answer how I observe this, e.g. what memory I have of it:
The appearance of this voidness seems to be a suprise to me always. I can't produce this by will. I can observe this only afterwards when some time has passed since afterwards I find myself "off-the map" for a brief moment. In that moment I usually realise that something took place. Sometimes my attention-observation was focused on some object or thought so completely that all else disappeared, even time itself. Sometimes I have acted as if I wasn't immersed in this "voidness" and there is no single object to observe but a "generalised" void.

Bear with me, this is difficult to talk about since it's not a matter of concepts and yet I'm using them to communicate. I have a feeling that in the end I find myself talking gibberish to people who aren't able to correlate with these experiences.

It's a risk but also an opportunity.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88555
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.27.2008
11:18AM EDT 
vertical line

Maybe there is no need to talk about it. I mean, I really appreciate your posting, but as you may also see for yourself, there is really no need to try shape it with words.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88577
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.27.2008
01:13PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line -----0 seems to be a mysterious poster who seems to know more than he seems to say ._.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88580
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.27.2008
01:32PM EDT 
vertical line You may be correct zero, but I got this idea ... that we have heard, read and learned about zen from people and writings. Then we went away for practice and we got to where we are now.

So evidently the practice is the most important part here but a part of the message is transmitted also from other sources (talk, writings). One may be pointed to the direction that needs to be taken but the walk is his alone.

So, I would like to point with my words here and perhaps someone takes that walk to see what comes of it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88581
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zengirl
Oct.27.2008
01:56PM EDT 
Email zengirl
vertical line

I wish I could be of help zen-zen.. but I am the newbie here. I do remember reading something on this though perhaps in Eckhart Tolles book "A New Earth"?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88583
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.27.2008
02:38PM EDT 
vertical line Thanks for a book tip. I'll look into it.

Reading is good but nothing beats practicing.

How about you ZG, do you practice?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88591
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.27.2008
02:39PM EDT 
vertical line You just read that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88592
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Oct.28.2008
06:17PM EDT 
vertical line

It is a common trap for people to believe that only by long and heavy practice they will finally  "achieve Zen". They try to analyze these mental states and describe them with words and concepts. They don't see that the "practice" is already it.

Think of practicing running. You know that only after long and very efficient practice you may finally run 100 m in below 10 sec. But the Zen of running is not to run fast. It is to run for the sheer joy of running. To realize that one already knows how to do it without any practice. Measuring the speed and analyzing the complex workings of muscles and nerves will just spoil this spontaneous joy.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88744
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.29.2008
02:06AM EDT 
vertical line Yes, Integrate your practice to daily life! LOL.

Oh, I knew the risks of talking about this. Yet I believe that the benefits outweight the risks. The benefit being that someone, even a single person may go and look for himself.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88752
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.29.2008
09:42AM EDT 
vertical line "Running / Practice / Achieving Zen" is poor analogy.
There are those who, no matter what they do, will never run, physically. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88757
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.29.2008
09:43AM EDT 
vertical line The kind of analogy born of the belief that 'zen' is a "mental state".
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88758
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Oct.30.2008
04:52AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

well see what i ALLOW buddha to come up with next.

hahaha.

"

"

Ah Shayne, you poor deluded... well, I will try to be polite.

In meditation we open our minds and find a lot of things there.  Over time we pare them away.  But at first it seems that there is a part of the mind that does not want us to progress along our path.

Many people, if not all people, who meditate will encounter what I call sandtraps of the mind.  These are delusions of greatness, or power, that seem very real.  But if you buy into them you go no further along your path until you get out of them again.

Let me know when you can walk on water Shayne, and I will be among your first followers.  Until then, shut the ... up.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88828
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.30.2008
09:34AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line im telling googamuga on you bucko.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88845
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Oct.30.2008
10:12AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

alan erased my previous post.

what makes you think i wasnt joking?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88847
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from juliocm
Oct.30.2008
04:32PM EDT 
Email juliocm
vertical line Quote: "How is it that ONE knows this?"
.......Through intuition. not  intellect I reckon.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88848
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.03.2008
03:06AM EDT 
vertical line I saw someone using the term "introspection" somewhere. I think it fits quite well for this purpose.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88995
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MONK IN SHAOLIN
by Isabel Munoz
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s