history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Sunday Apr 20 2014 05:16PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Tetsugen, a devotee of Zen in Japan, decided to publish the sutras, which at that time were available only in Chinese. The books were to be printed with wood blocks in an edition of seven thousand copies, a tremendous undertaking.... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SCRATCHING THE ITCH
vertical line Posted on Oct.27.2008 @ 03:54PM EDT by Woodsman
You all familiar with this concept... (shayne can look it up, googled with buddhism, just kidding) right?

Anyway, the vastness in all different ways we are attached to habit, in anything un-eightfold pathish , comes up continually as an itch, of habit, and most of it, all of it is unhelpful, as is that we strive toward enlightenment in all, thoughts, feelings... etc.

So have been making a practice of not scratching the beard, and getting into some pretty interesting material, as in external connections with emotions and confidences, but it itches, and I just let it, as it changes in quality, I just feel it. As in other zones of perception.

Another place, more recently where I have been avoiding the urge to itch is diet, and not having to feel the desire to consume, but just using less consumption as a teacher. All experience can be treated as an itch, not to scratch.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.27.2008
04:06PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line hi woods

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88612
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.27.2008
04:16PM EDT 
vertical line hi, and having the distinction of an itch can be pretty specific, especially where there is redundancy issues, family issues. We fall into patterns within primary relationships of origination, and then it just fans out to the majority of time spent with, who or what. I could even consider this site an itch, but am not bein' payed, so the itch relates more directly as a journal trip, or trap. But by comparison to some real traps this place is pretty benign.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88614
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.27.2008
04:48PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line when you scratch the itch.. does it go away? sorts like this?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88615
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.27.2008
04:54PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line hmmm but that one stayed... cause of different thread?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88616
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.27.2008
04:57PM EDT 
vertical line Scratching the itch intensifies the desire to itch, and becomes all consuming, around every corner.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88618
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.27.2008
06:06PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "hi, and having the distinction of an itch can be pretty specific, especially where there is redundancy issues, family issues. We fall into patterns within primary relationships of origination, and then it just fans out to the majority of time spent with, who or what. I could even consider this site an itch, but am not bein' payed, so the itch relates more directly as a journal trip, or trap. But by comparison to some real traps this place is pretty benign.

"

an insightful honest post to be considered wisely.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88619
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Oct.27.2008
06:51PM EDT 
vertical line :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88628
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.28.2008
01:37PM EDT 
vertical line It's the itch, right. We all need to find the way to bring about the qualitative difference in the "itch".

I like to think it as "bending the spoon" and "it's not the spoon that's bending".

Heh.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88730
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.28.2008
01:52PM EDT 
vertical line Well, the urge to go one way, or use something to get there is the motivation to stop with. It's like a revolving door, and we can be in the center and observe the interconnectedness of thought and matter if we choose, or choose to be present, with less irritation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88732
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.28.2008
03:05PM EDT 
vertical line Is it b le e d ing yet?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88736
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.29.2008
02:01AM EDT 
vertical line Yes Woodsy,

And in the process we may become aware of that which chooses.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88751
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Oct.29.2008
05:14AM EDT 
vertical line I am a clumsy writer. The nature of this issue is such that no matter what I write it isn't quite right. Hah. Folly.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88754
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.29.2008
06:01AM EDT 
vertical line Choice:
- the presentation/recollection of choice 'objects' with attributes:
   - selectability, preferability, applicability/practicality, accessibility [selfish concerns]

Read of a study claiming that when faced with complexity, people make the easiest choice rather than one that would fulfill their initial preferences.

Lots of information being processed. I think that 'selfish' concerns are most important in our personal conception of ourselves: How easy will this be? Will it be satisfying? The 'personalizable' stance/potential of the mental object in question.

Just talk.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88755
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.29.2008
12:53PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "Choice:
   - selectability, preferability, applicability/practicality, accessibility [selfish concerns]

Read of a study claiming that when faced with complexity, people make the easiest choice rather than one that would fulfill their initial preferences.

Lots of information being processed. I think that 'selfish' concerns are most important in our personal conception of ourselves: How easy will this be? Will it be satisfying? The 'personalizable' stance/potential of the mental object in question.

Just talk.

"

what?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88761
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.29.2008
12:57PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "Scratching the itch intensifies the desire to itch, and becomes all consuming, around every corner. "

oh

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88762
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Oct.29.2008
12:58PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Scratching the itch intensifies the desire to itch, and becomes all consuming, around every corner. "

oh

"

"

where does it go?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88763
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.29.2008
02:19PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

oh

"

"

where does it go?

"
back to the animal
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88764
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.30.2008
04:36AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Choice:

Just talk.

"

what?

"

'Conceptualization' required for the experience of choice to exist.

The attitude towards a particular mental object and experiencing (spacially/etc) where this attitude is centered.

Without this "attitude/interaction potential" there is no self-concern and no self-conceptualization/selfishness? (Not that I'm prescribing this.)

Here's an excerpt from "Phenomenology and Existentialism":

Having given examples of what he means by mental and physical phenomena, Brenato next tries to find defining characteristics of these two groups of things. And the first distinguishing characteristic he mentions is this: every mental phenomenon, as distinguished from all physical phenomena, either is an act of presentation or else is built upon one. This criterion reveals one of Brentano's fundamental convictions. Brentano believes that every mental act other than a presentation, presupposes such a presentation. Before such an act can occur, an act of presentation must precede it. He says: "This act of presentation forms the foundation not merely of the act of judging, but also of desiring and of every other mental act".

zen-zen had previously written:

Quote: "Yes Woodsy,

And in the process we may become aware of that which chooses.
"

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88824
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this THE BUDDHA - LOVE
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s