history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Oct 31 2014 12:54AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Things have never declared themselves empty, nor have they declared
themselves form; and they have not declared themselves right, wrong,
defiled or pure. Nor is there a mind that binds and fetters people.
It is just because... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: THE SPIRIT OF PRACTICE
vertical line Posted on Oct.30.2008 @ 03:39PM EDT by raeej91

For me zazen was very difficult in the beginning.  Of course zazen is still difficult for me now, bu tin the beginning I had trouble believing in zazen.  I could not even put any strength in my practice.  I'd start to think that zazen was stupid and I'd just give up and get up.

But I never gave up on zazen completely.  No matter how much I gave up I always came back to it for some reason, trying once more, over and over.  Soon I began to encourage my practice, even if I didn't believe in what I was doing.  I'd yell at myself "Stay!"  Even when I completely thought zazen was stupid I told  myself "Don't quit, continue."  No matter what excuse I had I told myself these things and stuck with my practice.

Zazen is nothing special.  There is nothing special or significant about how we place our hands or corss our legs.  But yet these things are emphasized.  This is because the important thing in zazen, above everything else, is giving a wholehearted effort.  Even if thoughts, emotions, and other difficulties arise, if we give a wholehearted effort to stick by our practice and continue, we will find the true meaning of practice.  We give a wholehearted effort even though we know that zazen isn't anything special.  When we put strength in our practice like this we awaken our true spirit.

Even if you have many difficulties that lie on top of you like some tremendous weight, you can still give a wholehearted effort.  This is what we realize through zazen.  We don't have to give up and get up.  We can continue zazen always.  In our everyday lives we don't have to quit when things become difficult.  Rather than quiting we should encourage ourselves and renew our spirit and efforts.  We discover that even though we may feel like at the end of our ropes, as long as we still are breathing and alive, we have strength left to continue.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Oct.30.2008
05:17PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Can't listen to the radio for pleasure, unless it's an alternative station, and I'm "in the mood", rarely. I'm over 50. So my mind is like a trap for music, songs that I may hear once, and have heard several times before, will linger with me, as an annoyance.  I have tried to listen to what is directly around me when a song gets "stuck" in my head,  or use the visuals, sensations, but the song comes back. So I end up accepting it, as I did today on a walk, and eventually they song which seemed irritating was replaced by a simple mental tune, without words, and it was in keeping with the pace in my walk, seemed original, grounded. The non-worded tune replaced the song which was there previously, once I just gave up, and accepted less, I guess.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88849
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.30.2008
06:05PM EDT 
vertical line . . . if you don't love, you're dead, and if you do they'll kill you . . . 

What happens in your head to create personal reality?

"The human dilemma of communication is that we cannot communicate ordinarily without words and signs, but even ordinary experience tends to be falsified by our habits of verbalization and rationalization. The convenient tools of language enable us to decide beforehand what we think things mean, and tempt us all too easily to see things only in a way that fits our logical preconceptions and our verbal formulas. Instead of seeing things and facts as they are we see them as reflections and verifications of the sentences we have previously made up in our minds. We quickly forget how to simply see things and substitute our words and our formulas for the things themselves, manipulating facts so that we see only what conveniently fits our prejudices. Zen uses language against itself to blast out these preconceptions and to destroy the specious "reality" in our minds so that we can see directly."
~Thomas Merton
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88852
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.30.2008
06:13PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "we cannot communicate ordinarily without words and signs,"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ5tYRIDLiY

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88853
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Oct.30.2008
06:41PM EDT 
vertical line http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88856
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.30.2008
09:27PM EDT 
vertical line A monk asked Joshu "Does a new born infant still have six consciousnesses?"

Joshu replied "A ball tossed into rushing water"

The monk asked "What is the meaning of "A ball tossed into rushing water"?"

Joshu replied  "Moment to moment non-stop flow."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88860
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Oct.31.2008
06:10AM EDT 
vertical line So. More experience.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88870
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Oct.31.2008
06:31AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "So. More experience."

About the same amount?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88874
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Oct.31.2008
07:11AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line manipulating facts so that we see only what conveniently fits our prejudices
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88881
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Oct.31.2008
09:43AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ "

:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88882
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.01.2008
09:23AM EDT 
vertical line :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88934
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN FANS II
by Gene Ouimette
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s