history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Nov 26 2014 08:49AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  The Buddha once taught the Bhikkhus about the All:

"I will teach you the All. Listen closely. What is the All? It is eye and visible object,
ear and sound, nose and scent, tongue and taste, body and feelings, mind and ideas.
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: HAPPIER WORLD
vertical line Posted on Nov.02.2008 @ 08:35PM EDT by 9999999
mom: you were always so good at math and visualizing space--engineering sounds like something you could go into where you can change the world

mom's boyfriend: i love engineering--i just dont have the aptitude for it

mom: and the US is falling so far behind in math and science

mom's boyfriend: yeah i hear there are more honor-students in india than there are students in the US

me:  i am not interested in that stuff

mom's boyfriend:  what are you interested in?

me: if i wanted to change the world it would only be so that i could be happier in it

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email 9999999
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.02.2008
08:42PM EDT 
vertical line Would Tryptophan be enough? (It induces Seratonin production in the brain - happiness ;).

But I don't think it's that simple. Look around you. Everything you own and that's worth having was made/built/designed/invented or made possible by engineers, scientists, and mathematicians.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88984
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.02.2008
09:12PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Would Tryptophan be enough? (It induces Seratonin production in the brain - happiness ;).

But I don't think it's that simple. Look around you. Everything you own and that's worth having was made/built/designed/invented or made possible by engineers, scientists, and mathematicians.

"

Ownership is a miserable, enslaving idea.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88985
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.02.2008
09:58PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The real deal is not math or science related, it's cosmic. Back to eating my apple, the cosmic egg.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88989
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.03.2008
03:18AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

"

Happy Chinaman

Anyone walking about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha.

This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself a Zen master or to gather many disciples about him. Instead he walked the streets with a big sack into which he would put gifts of candy, fruit, or doughnuts. These he would give to children who gathered around him in play. He established a kindergarten of the streets.

Whenever he met a Zen devotee he would extend his hand and say: "Give me one penny." And if anyone asked him to return to a temple to teach others, again he would reply: "Give me one penny."

Once he was about his play-work another Zen master happened along and inquired: "What is the significance of Zen?"

Hotei immediately plopped his sack down on the ground in silent answer.

"Then," asked the other, "what is the actualization of Zen?"

At once the Happy Chinaman swung the sack over his shoulder and continued on his way.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88996
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.03.2008
07:05AM EDT 
vertical line Beguiler. ;)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 88998
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.03.2008
02:40PM EDT 
vertical line

The world is forever changing.

Are you happy about that?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.03.2008
02:40PM EDT 
vertical line Yes thanks.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89015
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.03.2008
02:41PM EDT 
vertical line Yes thanks.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89016
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.03.2008
04:09PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "Yes thanks."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89019
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.05.2008
11:02AM EDT 
vertical line THE GUEST HOUSE
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
~Rumi [translation by Coleman Barks]
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89115
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.08.2008
07:21AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

Happy Chinaman

Anyone walking about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha.

This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself a Zen master or to gather many disciples about him. Instead he walked the streets with a big sack into which he would put gifts of candy, fruit, or doughnuts. These he would give to children who gathered around him in play. He established a kindergarten of the streets.

Whenever he met a Zen devotee he would extend his hand and say: "Give me one penny." And if anyone asked him to return to a temple to teach others, again he would reply: "Give me one penny."

Once he was about his play-work another Zen master happened along and inquired: "What is the significance of Zen?"

At once the Happy Chinaman swung the sack over his shoulder and continued on his way.

"

"

Happy Chinaman

"

I was approached by a very young woman once who appeared to be very happy and gave me a flower 'for a donation'.

I asked, "what are you, a Moonie?"

And she said, "Yes, as a matter of fact I am".  So I gave her a dollar for the flower.

At least she was happy at the moment.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89316
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN FANS I
by Gene Ouimette
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s