history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Aug 28 2014 07:15PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: THE BEST MARTIAL ART.
vertical line Posted on Nov.08.2008 @ 03:02AM EDT by shayne

the best martial art is none.

but dissection of the whole is good to get good at fighting.

so each martial art is a techniuqe to be mastered.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email shayne
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.08.2008
03:52AM EDT 
vertical line Folding techniques.

Type-reading. Nothing, really.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89302
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.08.2008
06:29AM EDT 
vertical line The best defense is not to be there.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89306
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.09.2008
07:06AM EDT 
vertical line A master of strategy rarely has a need to handle tactics.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89426
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.09.2008
09:29AM EDT 
vertical line Unless you've got a big gun, and it's loaded, and, and it's pointing your way. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89435
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.09.2008
01:36PM EDT 
vertical line If the gun is pointing your way then the strategy has failed and situation calls for immediate tactics. :D
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89444
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.09.2008
02:01PM EDT 
vertical line The big gun could be a metaphor, or maybe even a euphemism for some thing pointing [a]way away.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89446
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.10.2008
04:46AM EDT 
vertical line Oh, who's pointing who and with what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89481
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
05:24AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Oh, who's pointing who and with what?"

"Who"? "What"?

The sun points at abraxis.

Why ask?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89487
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.11.2008
07:30AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "The best defense is not to be there."

Saturday night I was out on the dance floor by myself and a young girl came out and said, "I will dance with you."  We had a wonderful time, whirling and twirling, dancing back to back and rubbing our butts together, shimmying and shaking all around.

Unfortunately her boyfriend was not impressed by our display.

He came out on the floor to beat my ass, but was restrained by a number of other people.  I just kept on dancing.  I did check to see that my knife in my back pocket was accessible, but had no plan to use it unless absolutely necessary.  He was afterall twice my size and half my age.  I cannot work with a broken back, and would be poor.

He was taken away by security and he and his girlfriend left.

It takes two to Tango, and I really do not like to Tango.   I was not afraid.  My heartrate did not go up even a 10th of a notch.  But it appears that all that is needed for trouble to pass is for one party to refrain from indulging in it.

The best defense is not to be there. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89565
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.11.2008
07:57AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

"

Not going, again?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89569
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
08:01AM EDT 
vertical line You gotta laugh.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89571
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
08:02AM EDT 
vertical line I gotta laugh.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89572
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
02:34PM EDT 
vertical line quack-q u a c k
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89589
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Nov.11.2008
06:32PM EDT 

Saturday night I was out on the dance floor by myself and a young girl came out and said, "I will dance with you."  We had a wonderful time, whirling and twirling, dancing back to back and rubbing our butts together, shimmying and shaking all around.

He came out on the floor to beat my ass, but was restrained by a number of other people.  I just kept on dancing.  I did check to see that my knife in my back pocket was accessible, but had no plan to use it unless absolutely necessary.  He was afterall twice my size and half my age.  I cannot work with a broken back, and would be poor.

It takes two to Tango, and I really do not like to Tango.   I was not afraid.  My heartrate did not go up even a 10th of a notch.  But it appears that all that is needed for trouble to pass is for one party to refrain from indulging in it.

"
Why bring a knife when MOST PROBABLE the worst thing that can happen is you using it...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89597
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Nov.11.2008
06:48PM EDT 
vertical line (Please tell me U where kidding mr. never been dangerously jealous or in love knife man..)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89598
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.11.2008
07:29PM EDT 
vertical line Yeah, man. That's like totally uncool (link warning: done).

But, did she like the feel of your knife on her derriere?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89599
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
07:30AM EDT 

"

Rampant egomania tripping at the gates of oblivion.

The do-gooders, a number of other people, security, intervened, protected and saved the boyfriend's ass.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89606
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.12.2008
07:59AM EDT 
vertical line

My point was that if you just stay cool and stand back, trouble will often just pass you by.

Some wonder that self-defense is a concept that is respected in Buddhism.  Shaolin Monks for instance are trained first as warriors to defend the Monastery, and become regular Monks only after failing in that training, which is quite rigorous.

We Buddhists, which of course you two are not, are trained to accept things as it is.  That includes having  non-buddhists here, often as hecklers, and sometimes being assaulted in the world at large.  Our mild nature often gives us the appearance of weak targets.

We do not seek trouble, we seek to avoid it.  But when it is present, we accept it as a part of things as it is.  In those cases, self-defense is called for and we do our best to defend ourselves and/or those around us, without losing respect for our opponents, ourselves, or Buddha.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89610
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
08:02AM EDT 
vertical line Oh dear, what a tangled web you do weave. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89611
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.12.2008
08:08AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Oh dear, what a tangled web you do weave. "

I don't mean to be rude, or to attack you personally, as is against the rules here, but in all honesty, I think you are very stupid.  That is just my personal opinion or viewpoint.

I hope that your visits to this site will improve your overall condition to some extent.  Perhaps you will become a Buddhist and undertake a study of Buddhist concepts and principles.

Although your manner seems negative, perhaps this site is a very positive first step in your spiritual development.  That would be a good thing.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89613
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
08:11AM EDT 
vertical line Oh dear, what a tangled web you do weave. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89614
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.12.2008
08:40AM EDT 

I mean to be nice, and to defend you personally, as encouragement is supported here, and in all honesty, I think you have opened my mind.  That is just my personal opinion or viewpoint.

I hope that my visits to this site will improve my overall condition to some extent.

Although my manner seems negative, perhaps this site is a very positive first step in my spiritual development.  That would be a good thing.

"

A direct quote, no less.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89618
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.12.2008
09:13AM EDT 
vertical line

Okay I will be more specific.  No doubt you recognize the picture here that you posted.

Most would call this Pagan, but I recognize it as Shamanism because I was a Shaman before I became a Buddhist.  This is a device that is intended to entreat the spirit of the animal pictured on it into your service, by entering a trance while beating on the drum.  Maybe you are also using psychotropic drugs, or a sweat lodge, or both, in this pursuit.  That is neither here nor there.  Good luck with that.  I greatly treasure my days as a Shaman, although I chose to leave that path for Buddhism.

What is apparent here is that you are committed to a path of Shamanism and not to the path of Zen Buddhism.  

The path of Shamanism is the pursuit of personal power.  How are you seeking to find power here?  What prey do you seek here?  That would my question.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89619
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Nov.12.2008
09:54AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

what happens if you cant just stand their and chill?

best to know a martial art or two.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89621
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
10:02AM EDT 

"

Hey, Hi Crow!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89622
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Nov.12.2008
11:35AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

you saw a crow?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89623
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Nov.12.2008
11:38AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

Hey, Hi Crow!

"

"

oh dear, what a tale you weave

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89624
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
12:17PM EDT 

"

Crow is the name.

K - a - a - a - a - a - W 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89626
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
06:29PM EDT 

I don't mean to be rude, or to attack you personally, as is against the rules here, but in all honesty, I think you are very stupid.  That is just my personal opinion or viewpoint.

I hope that your visits to this site will improve your overall condition to some extent.  Perhaps you will become a Buddhist and undertake a study of Buddhist concepts and principles.

Although your manner seems negative, perhaps this site is a very positive first step in your spiritual development.  That would be a good thing."

Ok.
Forget the rules.  What's the problem?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89638
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.12.2008
07:08PM EDT 

Okay I will be more specific.  No doubt you recognize the picture here that you posted.

Most would call this Pagan, but I recognize it as Shamanism because I was a Shaman before I became a Buddhist.  This is a device that is intended to entreat the spirit of the animal pictured on it into your service, by entering a trance while beating on the drum.  Maybe you are also using psychotropic drugs, or a sweat lodge, or both, in this pursuit.  That is neither here nor there.  Good luck with that.  I greatly treasure my days as a Shaman, although I chose to leave that path for Buddhism.

What is apparent here is that you are committed to a path of Shamanism and not to the path of Zen Buddhism.  

The path of Shamanism is the pursuit of personal power.  How are you seeking to find power here? What prey do you seek here?  That would my question."

Of course I recognise the picture - I took the photograph with a Canon Digital Ixus 50.

I recognise the hawthorn bush to the left - the birds ate the berries.  I recognise the oak in the field.  I recognise the rowan which I planted - the birds ate the berries.  I recognise the feathers and the drum.  I placed the drum and the feathers in the tree. 

I posted the picture on zenguide the same day. The picture was posted in context of a topic entitled Listening.

Thanks for the superfluous lesson on Shamanism - I worked with Peter Furst, Dobkin de Rios and Reichel-Dolmatoff - I wrote an ethnographic thesis on Shamanism and Altered States of Consciousness. 

Maybe I'm not using psychotropic drugs - maybe I have used psychotropic drugs and participated in sweat lodge ceremonies, maybe I haven't.

Nothing is apparent here along the lines you suggest, namely:  commitment to the path of shamanism and/or the path of Zen Buddhism, other than what you think is apparent.

Your question is a ridiculous one.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89639
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.12.2008
08:18PM EDT 
vertical line Choo-choo! It's the thought train:

Ummon asked: "In what temple did you remain for the summer?"
Tozan replied, "The temple of Hoji, south of the lake."
"When did you leave there?" asked Ummon, wondering how long Tozan would continue with such factual answers.
"The twenty-fifth of August", answered Tozan.
Ummon then said: "I should give you three blows, but today I forgive you."
The next day Tozan bowed to Ummon and asked, "Yesterday you forgave me three blows. I do not know why you thought me wrong." Ummon, rebuking Tozan's spiritless responses, said: "You are good for nothing! You simply wander from one monastery to another." Before Ummon's words were ended, Tozan was enlightened.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89643
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Nov.13.2008
02:32AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

Crow is the name.

K - a - a - a - a - a - W 

"

"

oh Crow, what a  K - a - a - a - a - a - W  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89661
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.13.2008
04:48AM EDT 

what happens if you cant just stand their and chill?

best to know a martial art or two.

"

"

I have had some training in karate, and hand to hand combat training in the service. 

I'm a very good blocker.  I've been able to avoid some fights just by blocking.  Other times I have just grabbed their windpipe and that ends it too without anyone getting hurt.

You have to defend yourself if you have to defend yourself.  That is part of accepting things as it is. 

Some people think if you are a Buddhist you have to let others hurt you without fighting back, and that is not true. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89666
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.13.2008
05:09AM EDT 

The path of Shamanism is the pursuit of personal power.  How are you seeking to find power here? What prey do you seek here?  That would my question."

Of course I recognise the picture - I took the photograph with a Canon Digital Ixus 50.

I recognise the hawthorn bush to the left - the birds ate the berries.  I recognise the oak in the field.  I recognise the rowan which I planted - the birds ate the berries.  I recognise the feathers and the drum.  I placed the drum and the feathers in the tree. 

I posted the picture on zenguide the same day. The picture was posted in context of a topic entitled Listening.

Thanks for the superfluous lesson on Shamanism - I worked with Peter Furst, Dobkin de Rios and Reichel-Dolmatoff - I wrote an ethnographic thesis on Shamanism and Altered States of Consciousness. 

Maybe I'm not using psychotropic drugs - maybe I have used psychotropic drugs and participated in sweat lodge ceremonies, maybe I haven't.

Nothing is apparent here along the lines you suggest, namely:  commitment to the path of shamanism and/or the path of Zen Buddhism, other than what you think is apparent.

Your question is a ridiculous one.

"

"

Osho cautioned that those who become awakened may meet with enmity from those who have not.  He said this was not because of envy, or doubt, but because they are afraid of the loss that you represent.  Because they know, deep inside, that if they too experience Satori they too will lose everything as you have.

It is true that if you experience Satori you will lose everything too.   In case you are wondering, that is why you have not done it already. But it will not matter to you to lose everything.  Nothing that you lose will be of any further value to you, so it does not matter.  And someday, in this lifetime or another, you will probably let go of yourself and free-fall into nothingness.

In your case, Rustic, I think the dischord that I get from you has more to do with the experieces I have related here from when I was a Shaman.  I do not know why.  Because I left that order for Buddhism?  Yeah, I did.  The Spirit presented me with an opportunity for extraodinary power and I declined.  Such an opportunity will never come again.  My resignation from Shamanism was formalized by that act.  

I feel that in that way I graduated from Shamanism to Buddhism.   I know there is no difference between The Spirit of Shamanism and Buddha of Buddhism.  The only difference is that I no longer have experiences of 'power', which were only delusional to begin with.  The Spirit that parted with me is the same Buddha that accepted me, so it is only a change of perspective.  The source is the same, of course.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89667
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.13.2008
10:36AM EDT 
vertical line

No thing to defend.  No thing to lose.

What you see is facing west; what you don’t see is looking east. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89670
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.14.2008
04:40AM EDT 
vertical line We talk, think, disagree - monkeys as we are. About the source we rarely do but there's not much to talk about it anyway.

Allow the ripples of the stream calm down friends.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89674
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.14.2008
09:16AM EDT 
vertical line Satori and delusion is one.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89675
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.14.2008
12:48PM EDT 
vertical line Ah those also, right. Tiredness is seeping in.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89677
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.25.2008
02:57AM EDT 
vertical line Isn't it a delight to watch true mastery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGQ72bre30

Yes, that's bruce lee using nunchakus to play ping pong against two opponents and winning.

Watch the way he uses his eyes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89941
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, PHAN, THAILAND
by Mark Standen
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s