history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Dec 22 2014 03:30AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  The Buddha once said this to the Bhikkhus:
"Bhikkhus, as to the source through which perceptions
and notions tinged by mental proliferation beset a man:
if nothing is found there to delight in, welcome and hold to,
this is... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ZEN VALUE
vertical line Posted on Nov.10.2008 @ 01:04AM EDT by noumenal

Zen often uses words to transcend words. Koans, paradoxical stories or seemingly meaningless quips frequently appear in the literature. Consequently, we often miss the point. Westerners in particular are usually heavily left-brained, linear, rational thinkers, and so will frequently fail to grasp a Zen teaching and so respond inappropriately. We argue the point instead of getting it.

English has a particularly rich potential for double meanings, innuendos, equivocations and the construction of dozens of other kinds of fallacy. Politicians, comedians, salespeople, advertising, the media, propaganda exponents, etc. all use this potential for their own ends. Consequently, most people without training in this kind of stuff live in a perpetual mental fog.

Given the nature of Zen, I wonder if Zen actually helps clarity, or hinders it.    

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email noumenal
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
01:51AM EDT 
vertical line Nothing in the way of anything.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.10.2008
02:41AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line are you trying to say something else?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89475
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
02:55AM EDT 
vertical line Beta-carotene (among others) can improve one's ability to concentrate: "clarity".
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89477
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.10.2008
04:57AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line :P~
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.10.2008
05:04AM EDT 
vertical line Yes, noumenal, I think you are correct. I recently posted a devious topic where I wanted to discuss and sharpen the term "Zen". This was, of course, an attempt to raise thoughts whether the term itself is contrary to the basic principles of zen practice.

Allow me to explain: I remember that even the bible says that one should not "make a picture of the god". This principle is even more strongly present in islamic world. For example when I was working in Saudi Arabia it was not allowed to show any pictures of people publicly because a man is seen as a some kind of a presentation of Allah and therefore there shouldn't be any pictures of him. It was quite funny when they had the municipal elections and the faces of the nominees were pixelated on the streets.

Back to the point: Do you think that christian and islamic tradition has forgotten the true meaning why one shouldn't "make a picture of one's god"? And is there a link in this issue back to the original question posted by noumenal?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89484
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
05:19AM EDT 
vertical line The word-noun-image is not the thing itself.

The thing itself is not a thing.

Blah, blah, blah.

It would take a universe bigger than the universe to understand all things properly. And even then the uber-universe wouldn't understand itself.

There is nothing from this line of thought.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89485
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.10.2008
05:29AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line it ok

nothing ever goes wrong ^_^

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89488
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
06:01AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "it ok

nothing ever goes wrong ^_^

"

If so, I'll get Major Payne on your asses.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.10.2008
06:12AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Pajor Mayne
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89493
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.10.2008
07:08AM EDT 
vertical line

I find that the biggest obstacle is how we think.

I predominantly think in English, eventhough I can think in Italian.

Alot of what I read or try to comprehend comes from hindu or asian thought.

There is a rift. Then there is a comprehension misinterpretation at times because of this rift.

I am not saying that I to be able to comprehaend as another person has done. My comprehension will be mine. But, I struggle to comprehend what another has comprehended due to thought/translation differences.

This creates a bit of a stress. I feel that I may be missing out on knowing what another may have experienced. Yet, I know that I am not to attach myself to anothers experience in place of my own.

Enough comprehension is there(triggers) to explore/experience your own, but there is definately a rift at times.

It is by no means the 'be all or end all', but I like the experience of knowing that another is experiencing their own zen.

I hope that you may understand this.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89499
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.10.2008
07:12AM EDT 
vertical line Overall though. Zen has really improved clarity for me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89500
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.10.2008
07:18AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Yes, noumenal, I think you are correct. I recently posted a devious topic where I wanted to discuss and sharpen the term "Zen". This was, of course, an attempt to raise thoughts whether the term itself is contrary to the basic principles of zen practice.

Allow me to explain: I remember that even the bible says that one should not "make a picture of the god". This principle is even more strongly present in islamic world. For example when I was working in Saudi Arabia it was not allowed to show any pictures of people publicly because a man is seen as a some kind of a presentation of Allah and therefore there shouldn't be any pictures of him. It was quite funny when they had the municipal elections and the faces of the nominees were pixelated on the streets.

Back to the point: Do you think that christian and islamic tradition has forgotten the true meaning why one shouldn't "make a picture of one's god"? And is there a link in this issue back to the original question posted by noumenal?
"

Lets think about clarity.

Where is the value of religion in no-thing-ness.

Do you know what no-thing-ness is?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89501
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.10.2008
07:21AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Yes, noumenal, I think you are correct. I recently posted a devious topic where I wanted to discuss and sharpen the term "Zen". This was, of course, an attempt to raise thoughts whether the term itself is contrary to the basic principles of zen practice.

"

'What is the meaning of Bodhidharma's coming from the West?'

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89502
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
07:36AM EDT 
vertical line Reponzle.

Actually, I don't know. I guess we'll have to reverse engineer it. But with no past to work with, and with computer systems that are only finite in their simulation abilities, I don't think we'll be able to work it out...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89506
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Nov.10.2008
08:32AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Lets think about clarity." 

no thanks

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89507
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
09:38AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Yes, noumenal, I think you are correct. I recently posted a devious topic where I wanted to discuss and sharpen the term "Zen". This was, of course, an attempt to raise thoughts whether the term itself is contrary to the basic principles of zen practice.

"

There isn't anything which isn't pointing.  Zen, tree, sun, moon, poop, et al are representations, they are not IT - you're talking about the authority of literalism - you seem to understand that.  I am is here to be with you are. What else?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89509
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from noumenal
Nov.10.2008
04:54PM EDT 
Email noumenal
vertical line Quote: "

no thanks

"
......... I like that!

"
......... I like that!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89516
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from noumenal
Nov.10.2008
04:56PM EDT 
Email noumenal
vertical line

Quote: Back to the point: Do you think that christian and islamic tradition has forgotten the true meaning why one shouldn't "make a picture of one's god"? And is there a link in this issue back to the original question posted by noumenal?"

Yes and yes.

And thank you for your considered response.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89517
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from noumenal
Nov.10.2008
05:09PM EDT 
Email noumenal

Quote: "Where is the value of religion in no-thing-ness.

Do you know what no-thing-ness is?"

No value whatsoever, for me.

Can we know no-thing-ness? Yes and no. This question exemplifies the potential for equivocation on the meaning of the word 'know' , which is what my post is about.

Thanks for your comments.  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89518
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
05:53PM EDT 

Quote: Back to the point: Do you think that christian and islamic tradition has forgotten the true meaning why one shouldn't "make a picture of one's god"? And is there a link in this issue back to the original question posted by noumenal?"

Yes and yes.

"

I don't know and I don't know.

So, what in your considered opinion is the true meaning why one shouldn't make a picture of one's god?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89520
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from noumenal
Nov.10.2008
06:18PM EDT 
Email noumenal
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

Yes and yes.

"

So, what in your considered opinion is the true meaning why one shouldn't make a picture of one's god?

"
......... Rustic's like a stick in the fire that stirs stirs stirs until he disappears
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89524
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
06:20PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

Yes and yes.

"

"
......... Rustic's like a stick in the fire that stirs stirs stirs until he disappears
"
How very considered.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89526
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
06:27PM EDT 
vertical line Perhaps I should begin sifting through your nonsense posts, your perpetual mental fog, your arguing, not getting it and your lack of training of this kind.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89527
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
06:29PM EDT 
vertical line Or perhaps I could just invite more sincere ad-hominems.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89528
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
06:40PM EDT 

Yes and yes.

"

"

Come on.   You posted yes in answer to zen-zen's question: Do you think that christian and islamic tradition has forgotten the true meaning why one shouldn't "make a picture of one's god"?  I'm interested in your considered response to what that true meaning is.  Cat got your tongue - I thought you liked this kind of stuff?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89529
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
06:43PM EDT 
vertical line What happened to all that concern for sincerity?  Where did it go?  Could it be it never existed - that it was a mock up all along?  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89530
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
06:44PM EDT 
vertical line Godzilla. It's a picture. (I think.)

Here is another.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89531
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
06:45PM EDT 
vertical line Yeah I thought so. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89532
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.10.2008
06:52PM EDT 
vertical line It's so simple, how could they ever get it wrong. God isn't one thing, he's three. He's the father, the son, and the holy ghost.

Why are we talking about wrathful dieties?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89533
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Nov.10.2008
07:05PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Perhaps I should begin sifting through your nonsense posts, your perpetual mental fog, your arguing, not getting it and your lack of training of this kind."
For God`s sake, please no! That would be like totally awesomely boring!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89534
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
07:08PM EDT 
vertical line Yeah you're right, it would.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89535
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
07:09PM EDT 
vertical line heheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaw
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89536
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from noumenal
Nov.10.2008
07:18PM EDT 
Email noumenal
vertical line

Quote: "heheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaw"

I'm glad you got all that off your chest.

Feeling better now? 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89537
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from noumenal
Nov.10.2008
07:28PM EDT 
Email noumenal
vertical line

To answer Rustic's question about naming the unameable....

Enough said?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89538
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
07:58PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "It's so simple, how could they ever get it wrong. God isn't one thing, he's three. He's the father, the son, and the holy ghost.

Why are we talking about wrathful dieties?
"

Been away from the computer but hey, now I'm back.  
Don't know. Perhaps the zennists feel better when they're talking about wrathful deities. I'm not a wrathful deity or a zennist, so I really don't know.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89539
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
07:59PM EDT 

Quote: "heheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaw"

I'm glad you got all that off your chest.

Feeling better now? 

"

Ooh, and I can feel that fake sincerity pulsating from here. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89540
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
08:02PM EDT 
vertical line Just because I'm naked, doesn't mean I'm sexy.  Just because I say I don't care about what you think, doesn't mean I don't care.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89541
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.10.2008
08:39PM EDT 
vertical line Are we still on board - no ticket, no baggage - or has the fun stopped?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89542
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Nov.10.2008
11:30PM EDT 
Email lehish

no thanks

"
......... I like that!

"
......... I like that! "

"
......... I like that!
"

:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89544
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
06:16AM EDT 
vertical line

People all over the world (everybody)

Join hands (join)

(clap)

Start a love train, love train

(mmmmmyeah)

People all over the world (all the world, now)

Join hands (love ride)

(clap)

Start a love train (love ride), love train

(mmmm oh yeah come on)

The next stop that we make will be England

Tell all the folks in Russia, and China, too

Don't you know that it's time to get on board

And let this train keep on riding, riding on through

Well, well

People all over the world (you don't need no money)

Join hands (come on)

Start a love train, love train (don't need no ticket, come on)

People all over the world (Join in, ride this train)

Join in (Ride this train, y'all)

Start a love train (Come on, train), love train

All of you brothers over in Africa

Tell all the folks in Egypt, and Israel, too

Please don't miss this train at the station

'Cause if you miss it, I feel sorry, sorry for you

Well

People all over the world (Sisters and brothers)

Join hands (join, come on)

Start a love train (ride this train, y'all), love train (Come on)

People all over the world (Don't need no tickets)

Join hands (come on, ride)

Ride, let it ride

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Let it ride

Let it ride

People, ain't no war

People all over the world (on this train)

Join in (ride the train)

Start a love train, love train (ride the train, y'all)

People all over the world (come on)

Join hands (you can ride or stand, yeah)

Start a love train, love train (makin' love)

People all over the world ('round the world, y'all)

Join hands (come on)

mmmmm mmmmm mmmyeah

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89549
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Nov.11.2008
06:44AM EDT 
vertical line Much ado about nothing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89550
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
06:56AM EDT 
vertical line No.  No nothing.  No something.  No much ado. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89556
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.11.2008
07:14AM EDT 
vertical line Speaking of nothing...

Here's Lionel Ritchie.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89561
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
08:48AM EDT 
vertical line s o u l
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89580
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Nov.11.2008
09:52AM EDT 
vertical line Love, sweet love.For me it`s like one of those days where I just want to poor myself a coozy cup of warm chocolate, snuggle down in a delisiouse warm bathtube and just blow my brains out!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89581
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
05:11PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "No.  No nothing.  No something.  No much ado. "

Yeah, people, join in, start a love train, whooo whoooo - a fantastic happening song.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89592
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
05:15PM EDT 
vertical line Beautiful singers singing beautiful - yeah, come on . . . .whooooooo!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89593
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this GREEN TARA
by Siddhimuni Sakya
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s