history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Nov 22 2014 07:47PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.15.2009 @ 09:32AM EDT by chontri

Sakuladayi the Wanderer asked the Buddha:
-What is the past and what is the future?
The Buddha answered:
-Let the past be and forget the future. I will teach you that... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: GOING DOWN
vertical line Posted on Nov.11.2008 @ 07:29AM EDT by 9999999
here's the situation:
-i'm on leaky boat on a shoreless sea
-the storm is raging and the clock is ticking
-the sky is black
-the sea is black
-i dont know where i am nor who what when and how
-the ship might go down in 15 minutes or 15 years
-i am totally alone and the ship will sink one way or another--that's a fact

at what point do i stop smelling my own farts?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email 9999999
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.11.2008
07:29AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line i'm not asking anyone
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89564
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.11.2008
07:37AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line i realize i'm sitting on this boat with a few people and they're taking pills to pass the time

God loves us
Buddha love everywhere
Reincarnation

Heaven and hell go down nicely for some
Or telepathically pledging your allegiance to Jesus goes down nicely

The so-called zen crowd loves koans and clever guesswork, sitting in full lotus, staring at a dot on the wall, drinking their own piss and eating berries

Will I jump ship or will I throw them overboard?

I'm not asking anyone.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89566
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.11.2008
07:52AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "at what point do i stop smelling my own farts? "

Like a fine wine.

Do farts float?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89568
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.11.2008
08:04AM EDT 
vertical line If you're going down, just go down, smiling. See ya!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89573
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.11.2008
08:22AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89577
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Nov.11.2008
01:08PM EDT 
Email Rebecca
vertical line Maybe you should allow yourself to drown
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89588
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Nov.12.2008
01:35PM EDT 
vertical line Oh well, isn't death inevitable anyway? Being on the ship wouldn't change much. The goal would be much more clear.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89631
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Nov.14.2008
02:30PM EDT 
vertical line I personally dislike water getting into my lungs
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89678
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.14.2008
04:16PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line stop buying tranquilizers
get out of my drugged-up stupor
throw everyone overboard
patch up the ship
bail out the accumulated water
drift about the open shoreless ocean free and alone
and die with a smile on my face (and no water in my lungs)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89681
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.15.2008
05:44AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "
throw everyone overboard
"

You're already over-bored.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89689
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.15.2008
07:34AM EDT 
vertical line

here's the situation:
-the sky is black
-the sea is black

What do you mean???

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89697
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.15.2008
03:43PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line until i lost my face to the fact that my beliefs were my beliefs (beliefs that had to do with "me") and that there really wasnt a "me" in here it seemed like i was a spokesman for a trip that i had never taken.  for this post, instead of typing in the form of  you you you i used "me my mine" to be honest about the kind of attitude necessary for the kind of waking up i'm talking about--it's about ME waking up and not YOU.

i see the leaky boat on a shoreless sea as a "face the facts and get real" analogy:  I AM ALONE AND I WILL DIE AND THE CLOCK IS TICKING SO TALKING ABOUT YOU YOU YOU IS A NON-ISSUE WHEN I REALLY MEAN ME ME ME. i'm the one who is alone on a sinking ship--not you.

if i want to wake up then dealing with other people (showing off, dropping quotes, pushing beliefs, pushing systems, trying to change them) would be a waste of time  when the biggest zombie is me(which at this point is ok because i'm not-me)

so after a bump into no-self, the only way for me to go on is to expose everything about my accumulated beliefs and personality until nothing remains but nothing--which already is.  It sounds backwards but oh well--i have nothing to offer you and there isnt a way you can help me because it's just me here.  

i also had to accept the possibility of everyone putting me on about this stuff.  you could all be putting on a show about how stupid you all are--that you're all awake and keeping it to yourselves like the greedy mongrels you are.  you could all be putting on a show just for me--i have no way of knowing for sure.

this whole thread might be a show ; )

the one thing i know for sure is that--well--i wont spoil it
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89706
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Nov.15.2008
04:03PM EDT 
vertical line Who cares, Chelsea is HOT!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89707
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Snibbler
Nov.15.2008
04:07PM EDT 
vertical line (Just enjoy the ride sevenO`9, can`t get much worse than this now can it?:))
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89708
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.15.2008
04:32PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "until i lost my face to the fact that my beliefs were my beliefs (beliefs that had to do with "me") and that there really wasnt a "me" in here it seemed like i was a spokesman for a trip that i had never taken.  for this post, instead of typing in the form of  you you you i used "me my mine" to be honest about the kind of attitude necessary for the kind of waking up i'm talking about--it's about ME waking up and not YOU.

i see the leaky boat on a shoreless sea as a "face the facts and get real" analogy:  I AM ALONE AND I WILL DIE AND THE CLOCK IS TICKING SO TALKING ABOUT YOU YOU YOU IS A NON-ISSUE WHEN I REALLY MEAN ME ME ME. i'm the one who is alone on a sinking ship--not you.

if i want to wake up then dealing with other people (showing off, dropping quotes, pushing beliefs, pushing systems, trying to change them) would be a waste of time  when the biggest zombie is me(which at this point is ok because i'm not-me)

so after a bump into no-self, the only way for me to go on is to expose everything about my accumulated beliefs and personality until nothing remains but nothing--which already is.  It sounds backwards but oh well--i have nothing to offer you and there isnt a way you can help me because it's just me here.  

i also had to accept the possibility of everyone putting me on about this stuff.  you could all be putting on a show about how stupid you all are--that you're all awake and keeping it to yourselves like the greedy mongrels you are.  you could all be putting on a show just for me--i have no way of knowing for sure.

"

This sinking ship zombie business - are you talking metaphor or codes or something?Or are you a zombie on a sinking ship?  You could accept the possibility of everyone putting you on - could all be awake and keeping it?  What do you want?  Do you know what you want?  Let's hear it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89709
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Nov.15.2008
05:16PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

here's the situation:
-the sky is black
-the sea is black

What do you mean???

What experience are you?

"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89710
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.15.2008
05:49PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "until i lost my face to the fact that my beliefs were my beliefs (beliefs that had to do with "me") and that there really wasnt a "me" in here it seemed like i was a spokesman for a trip that i had never taken.  for this post, instead of typing in the form of  you you you i used "me my mine" to be honest about the kind of attitude necessary for the kind of waking up i'm talking about--it's about ME waking up and not YOU.

"

This sinking ship zombie business - are you talking metaphor or codes or something?Or are you a zombie on a sinking ship?  You could accept the possibility of everyone putting you on - could all be awake and keeping it?  What do you want?  Do you know what you want?  Let's hear it.
"

Simply, I know that I can't know for certain anything other than the fact that it's just me here--and i'm not here either.  Zombies, business, sinking ships, possibilities, everyone, back and fourth, awake or asleep, the positive and negative sides of them all are beliefs. 

It's not that i replace/add to the belief that people are asleep with the belief that there is a possibility that they are awake and keeping it.  I'm just identifying it as belief. 

What do I want? Do I know what I want?

I'm inclined to blurt out and regurgitate something i've heard from someone else.  I will answer when I get back from a walk.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89711
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.15.2008
06:11PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line I have no answer to that question.  If I did, I would be making it up. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89712
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.15.2008
09:34PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I have no answer to that question.  If I did, I would be making it up.  "

It's a show fo' sho!

Questions, beliefs, feelings. Confusion, uncertainty. Losing gaining. Nobody cares (that much).

"Chelsea Clinton is hot."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89713
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.16.2008
02:31AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line  to know the truth at any cost
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89717
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.16.2008
02:34AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line which would be to unknow what's untrue

are my beliefs true? well, it's true they are beliefs in my memory--but i didnt make them up
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89718
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Nov.16.2008
02:35AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line which is just more regurgitation and show :p

and a perfect circumstance

to stop posting
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89719
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Nov.16.2008
04:07AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Simply, I know that I can't know for certain anything other than the fact that it's just me here--and i'm not here either."

Can you hear birds chirping in the background? If you can, that will do.  Everything is taken care of, already. No need inventing more.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89720
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from emancipate
Nov.16.2008
05:27AM EDT 
vertical line Truth is over-rated. And, obviously, you can't handle it. It's one hot-potato.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89724
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.16.2008
08:43AM EDT 
vertical line K - a - a - a - a - a - W
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 89742
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN IRIS
by Pamela Gladding
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s