history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Oct 31 2014 04:29AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A wandering monk called Vaccha asked the Buddha if the Buddha would still exsist after death. The Buddha replied:
"Vaccha, the idea that I would exist or not exist after death - such ideas lead to dense jungles and arid deserts, to entanglements... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: BEING ALONE
vertical line Posted on Dec.21.2008 @ 08:36PM EDT by 9999999
When I ask, "What do you think about being alone?" I'm really asking, "What does thought say about being alone?"

So what do you think about being alone? What's that like to you? How do you avoid it?

I'm not asking for instructions and I'm not asking for help.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email 9999999
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Dec.22.2008
04:44AM EDT 
vertical line

I like being alone.

In the final analysis, we are all alone, all the time.  Everything else is delusion.

The trick is to enjoy the delusion, while  not forgetting it is all a delusion.

Also remember that the definition of Delusion is Self Deception.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90441
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Dec.22.2008
01:54PM EDT 
vertical line Being alone - apparently, not essentially - [thoughts and feelings] - can't be avoided, no matter what. It's difficult if not impossible to explain an idea of aloneness.  Meaning derives from comparison.  Are you with me?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90446
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Dec.22.2008
02:56PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line I don't understand what you mean
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90451
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Dec.22.2008
04:23PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line 1
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90452
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.22.2008
09:58PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line

I posted something recently on Being Alone. It was called Bhaddekaratta. That is actually a sutra. I first heard of it from a CD I bought and a Track on the CD called "Knowing the Better Way to Live Alone" 

What I posted were some links on this.

The music was by Brother Phap Niem, sung by him also.

Being alone to me is the truth that everything changes. Transiency. Not trying to attain. Things just as they are. The movement of the Earth around the Sun and the earth itself. A connected awareness of [this] and beyond. Witnessing. Buddhas don't help Buddhas =)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90453
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Dec.23.2008
08:53AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line 1
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90466
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nasomalo
Dec.23.2008
09:48AM EDT 
Email nasomalo
vertical line thank you if you allow me may i can cutch up with your bear before you leave it maybe is all about... about a good 58 pissing excuse me uncurved but trying to follow
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90467
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nasomalo
Dec.23.2008
10:15AM EDT 
Email nasomalo
vertical line the word is pee... excuse me ... my clothes seems not to be mine yet,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Dec.23.2008
12:47PM EDT 
vertical line The thought says:

For the average man being alone is the worst kind of a punishment imaginable. To be forcefully set apart from the rest of the world brings such pain to the 'self' that apart from death sentence no worse has been invented.

For a holy man, the annihilation of the 'self' is the highest value.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90469
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Dec.23.2008
12:57PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

has been found a self to annihilate ? 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90471
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Dec.23.2008
01:21PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Hey! Don't come over here!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Dec.23.2008
02:20PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90474
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Dec.23.2008
02:46PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line

Quote: "The thought says:

For the average man being alone is the worst kind of a punishment imaginable. To be forcefully set apart from the rest of the world brings such pain to the 'self' that apart from death sentence no worse has been invented.

For a holy man, the annihilation of the 'self' is the highest value.
"

i don't know

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90477
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Dec.23.2008
04:18PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line What!? I don't need myself, me or and I? How bout it?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90485
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Dec.24.2008
09:08PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90521
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Dec.26.2008
03:06PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90538
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jan.02.2009
07:00AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "1 "

All one = alone

Life is an isometric exercise after all.

Duality is the delusion of the Self by the Self, meaning you.

But I like what Shunyro Suzuki says about it.  It is not the idea of Zen to dispense with duality in favor of non-duality.  The trick is to live in duality without losing sight of non-duality, and thereby one masters duality, or rather is not subject to it.

None of this is real, except that it is a real delusion.

Thats what the moniker Immortal 1 is about too, by the way.  Some say, and some wonder, if attainment yields immortality, as the texts say that then one is freed from the bonds of life and death. 

At that point you discover that you always were immortal.  Or as I like to put it, after years of struggling to get myself into the safe hands of God I found that I never could have possibly been out of them.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90564
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.02.2009
10:02AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

All one = alone

But I like what Shunyro Suzuki says about it.  It is not the idea of Zen to dispense with duality in favor of non-duality.  The trick is to live in duality without losing sight of non-duality, and thereby one masters duality, or rather is not subject to it.

Thats what the moniker Immortal 1 is about too, by the way.  Some say, and some wonder, if attainment yields immortality, as the texts say that then one is freed from the bonds of life and death. 

At that point you discover that you always were immortal.  Or as I like to put it, after years of struggling to get myself into the safe hands of God I found that I never could have possibly been out of them.

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

This life is no isometric exercise.  If the idea of zen wanted to dispense with duality in favour of non-duality, it couldn't because the idea of zen is a duality.  One idea can't dispense with another idea. Tricks are there to trick you - meaning you.

The meaning of immortal is dependent upon comparison with the meaning of mortal - no comparison, no meaning - at some point you may discover that mortals have ideas about immortality. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90565
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jan.02.2009
04:23PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line He's got us all by the balls

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90566
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.02.2009
06:38PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line no
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90567
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jan.02.2009
08:15PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line lehish, of course, is exempt.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90568
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jan.02.2009
08:17PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line *unable to be grabbed in her eternal form,
she lets the children play over yonder

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90569
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jan.03.2009
04:40AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

All one = alone

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

This life is no isometric exercise.  If the idea of zen wanted to dispense with duality in favour of non-duality, it couldn't because the idea of zen is a duality.  One idea can't dispense with another idea. Tricks are there to trick you - meaning you.

The meaning of immortal is dependent upon comparison with the meaning of mortal - no comparison, no meaning - at some point you may discover that mortals have ideas about immortality. 

"

"

Actually the idea of Zen, or Chinese Chan, is that a Buddha can transmit attainment to another person, as was first noted in Gautama Buddhas Flower Sermon.  So I suppose you could say that Zen is a dualistic idea, requiring two parts.

Personally I believe that such transmission can only come from Buddha itself, and whether or not through a person is irrelevant as there is but 1 source.  And we are all a part of it.  So if you talk to your finger are you talking to yourself or something separate?  If Buddha transmits to you is the transmission to itself or something separate?

As my Dad lay dying he told me that he did not want to be reincarnated anymore because it hurts too much to die.  I said, That is a tall order Dad, but we will see what we can do.  So I prayed to Buddha to allow him transmission.  A day or two later he received it.

He then refused all food and drink and was dead in 4 days.  I had previously theorized that the reason that it takes so long to reach attainment was that because to receive it without preparation would kill a person.  Maybe I was right.

The only Immortal is that 1 source, thus the moniker Immortal 1, just for fun.  Had to come up with something.

No matter what you say or do, some people will like you and some will not.  But if you change to please the people who do not like you then you might lose the people who like you for who you really are.  So go ahead and do not like me, Rustic, I do not mind.

Duality, non-duality?  Personally, I prefer both at the same time.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90570
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jan.03.2009
07:39AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line

this transmiting is an idea in your head.

besides we are not alone.

their is how many people on earth?

haha.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90573
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from bodhi_zen
Jan.04.2009
05:04AM EDT 
Email bodhi_zen
vertical line

Alone: Being alone? nobody is alone. It is the mind that makes us think that we are alone. just be aware and u will know that u are not alone.

Yes. to receive the ultimate, without preparation, will lead to death.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90578
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.04.2009
05:54AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "*unable to be grabbed in her eternal form,

"

;)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90580
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.04.2009
09:42AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

All one = alone

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

"

"

Actually the idea of Zen, or Chinese Chan, is that a Buddha can transmit attainment to another person, as was first noted in Gautama Buddhas Flower Sermon.  So I suppose you could say that Zen is a dualistic idea, requiring two parts.

Personally I believe that such transmission can only come from Buddha itself, and whether or not through a person is irrelevant as there is but 1 source.  And we are all a part of it.  So if you talk to your finger are you talking to yourself or something separate?  If Buddha transmits to you is the transmission to itself or something separate?

As my Dad lay dying he told me that he did not want to be reincarnated anymore because it hurts too much to die.  I said, That is a tall order Dad, but we will see what we can do.  So I prayed to Buddha to allow him transmission.  A day or two later he received it.

He then refused all food and drink and was dead in 4 days.  I had previously theorized that the reason that it takes so long to reach attainment was that because to receive it without preparation would kill a person.  Maybe I was right.

The only Immortal is that 1 source, thus the moniker Immortal 1, just for fun.  Had to come up with something.

No matter what you say or do, some people will like you and some will not.  But if you change to please the people who do not like you then you might lose the people who like you for who you really are.  So go ahead and do not like me, Rustic, I do not mind.

"

Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

Quote: ""

All one = alone

"................

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

What a great treasure it is when you realise that in you are to be found all the merits and all the faults which exist in the world.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90587
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.04.2009
09:44AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "*unable to be grabbed in her eternal form,

"

;)

"

Only when she's thinking about it and she's thinking about it - she likes to be appreciated. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90588
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.04.2009
07:14PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

not correct

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90593
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.04.2009
08:04PM EDT 
vertical line That's what you think.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90597
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.05.2009
04:36AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line nope
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90601
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.05.2009
09:55AM EDT 
vertical line Utterly incorrect.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90608
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Jan.05.2009
11:32AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

flush

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90615
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jan.06.2009
08:59AM EDT 
vertical line

Earlier today in a dream I was told, "You are going to get a raise today."

That was hard to believe since I have  been expecting them to ask me to take a paycut because of the recession.  But a few minutes ago the boss came by and gave me a raise.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90634
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jan.06.2009
09:03AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

All one = alone

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

"

"

"

All one = alone

"................

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

What a great treasure it is when you realise that in you are to be found all the merits and all the faults which exist in the world.

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

"

"

People can be naysayers about things.  But I think you just have to go with your own experiences.  If you do not have any experiences then how could you be expected to believe anything?

Experiences are gained through meditation.  That is the work.  Here we just have talk.  That is not work.  If you do not have anything to talk about then maybe you should get to work.

Actually, Rustic, I've got you figured for a Cluster B Personality Disorder, in my unqualified opinion.  I think you are the kind of person that likes to pick on people that you think are weaker than yourself.  But you came to the wrong place. 

The kind of thinking we do here requires a lot of inner strength.  Your postings only show that you have no inner strength.  I know what you really think of yourself, Rustic, and on that we agree.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90635
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Jan.06.2009
01:16PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Talking(typing) puts one's stupidity on the table for all to see.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90636
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lynnoh
Jan.06.2009
04:10PM EDT 
Email Lynnoh
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

All one = alone

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

"

"

"

"

blue flower sermon...beautiful 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90638
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Jan.06.2009
11:16PM EDT 
vertical line When is realitys birthday?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90639
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Jan.07.2009
07:45AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "When is realitys birthday?"

Now, always now.

I am older than time.  I remember Now as if it were yesterday.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90643
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.07.2009
08:05AM EDT 
vertical line

Temporiphobic. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90645
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.07.2009
08:08AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

All one = alone

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

"

"

"

All one = alone

"................

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

"

"

People can be naysayers about things.  But I think you just have to go with your own experiences.  If you do not have any experiences then how could you be expected to believe anything?

Experiences are gained through meditation.  That is the work.  Here we just have talk.  That is not work.  If you do not have anything to talk about then maybe you should get to work.

Actually, Rustic, I've got you figured for a Cluster B Personality Disorder, in my unqualified opinion.  I think you are the kind of person that likes to pick on people that you think are weaker than yourself.  But you came to the wrong place. 

The kind of thinking we do here requires a lot of inner strength.  Your postings only show that you have no inner strength.  I know what you really think of yourself, Rustic, and on that we agree.

"

Sweetness, the above post ^is what HELP ME sounds like. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90647
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.10.2009
09:20AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

All one = alone

"

Parrot-jabber-semantics.  

"

"

"

All one = alone

"................

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

Not 1.  Not 2.

Ow1=Twit2

"

"

"

^Is this the kind of thing that lehish lets you get away with? ^
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90727
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Jan.11.2009
09:51AM EDT 
vertical line Actually?  
Actually, you don't know and I don't agree.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 90797
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MIROKOKU-BOSATSU (MAITREYA)
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s