history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Nov 27 2014 07:13PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Yamaoka Tesshu, as a young student of Zen, visited one
master after another. He called upon Dokuon of Shokoku.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: "The mind,
Buddha, and sentient beings, after all, do not exist.
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: MEDITATION PRACTICE? MAYBE?
vertical line Posted on Feb.12.2009 @ 11:46AM EDT by circles
Hi all, I'm not sure if this question belongs here or is even related to zen Buddhism at all however if you'll spare a moment to read perhaps you can help me.

I'm new to what i may incorrectly call meditation, I've sat down and tried about 7 or 8 times. I take no class and just do it alone. However I have had a strange expirience 3 times and whilst I don't want to cling to the experience I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or dangerous.

My practice consists of sitting down in a stable comfortable position, and focussing on my breath while counting each breath to 10 then starting again, if I lose count I start again and try to keep focused. Once i'm comfortable with this I drop the counting and just focus on the breath. It's about this point I feel some tension behind my temples that reaches around to the front of my forehead.

From here on whilst remaining focused on my breath I just let go, try to release all my tension, if I do this successfully I feel as though the tension releases and I get a tingling sensation through my whole body. A short while after I feel as if I hit another block, this one is harder to let go of and when I do the tingling is more intense or feels like a higher frequency. At the 3rd block when I try to release, which again is even harder and more intense I get hit with onset fear and anxiety which drops me pretty fast back to square one and I feel too mentally exhausted to try again straight away.

I have no idea if this practice is right or wrong, however I'm more interested in knowing if it could be damaging. I get a slight headache after but I usually do from anxiety feelings.

If anyone could share any insight I'd greatly appreciate it as my knowledge on Buddhism and meditation is limited. Many thanks
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email circles
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from circles
Feb.12.2009
11:50AM EDT 
Email circles
vertical line Oh and I apologise at the lack of what may be correct terms, all I'm trying to do is convey an expirience across. if you want to know anything else please ask I'll try to tell you. Thanks again and great forum here.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92222
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.12.2009
12:58PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line

From your experience i think you are doing well

The tension and the sensations of your body are good to be aware of but then let go of them and the body.

The experience you are having with anxiety and fear is your body telling you you are not allowing everything to be as it is. Open up to that experience and just allow it to be. Usually this anxiety is how your inter dialog quietens. This is the experience of silence. Really if you can free your quality of attention and be grounded in the present then anxiety and fear lift and you can go deeper into this silence and be comfortable. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92223
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.13.2009
04:49AM EDT 
vertical line

I used to feel like my whole body was relaxed, but my head had turned into a brick.

That is natural when you start out, because meditation is something you are doing.

Later as you go along that fades away.  Meditation becomes natural.  It is a time when you step off of the stage of life and be yourself, by yourself.

Meditation is more un-doing.  Letting go of all the tension that built up from doing since your last meditative session.  Then you can get back to work and start building up tension all over again.

Maybe you could say it is like flushing the tension toilet.  Feel sorry for those who never do, it just keeps backing up and backing up until they are overwhelmed, so they finally retire when they cannot take it anymore, and then they die. 

For many people, that is life.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92265
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.13.2009
09:22AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Want a nut?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92288
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from circles
Feb.13.2009
11:15AM EDT 
Email circles
vertical line have a whole bag of almonds :D can trade?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92295
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.13.2009
11:44AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Yes! Almonds are much harder to shell. Let's trade by weight, not effort. Wait, I mean, gotta feel this, these out.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92297
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.16.2009
03:12PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Trade in looks, reap in vain.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92550
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boopoom
Feb.17.2009
07:14AM EDT 
Email boopoom
vertical line

seem you have blockssss before you even start to meditat....leave every thing you have learn or tought yourself into steps away then start it again.....

love,boopoom:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92608
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boopoom
Feb.17.2009
07:25AM EDT 
Email boopoom
vertical line

reboot ing your PC  :) you know what i mean.....

love,boopoom

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92609
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.17.2009
08:32AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line This is that. That is this. One missed a past. One passed a piss.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92614
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.17.2009
10:56AM EDT 
vertical line It was a long shot but he kicked the bucket . . . rat - ta - tat - ta - tat - tatty - tat - tat - tat . . .
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92630
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN 1
by Anonymous
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s