history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Oct 21 2014 01:20AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk asked the priest Kan-feng:
-Bhagavats in the ten directions got one straight road to Nirvana. I dare to ask where that road is?
Kan-feng lifted up his staff, drew a line in the air, and said:
-Here it is.
more...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ON KARMA
vertical line Posted on Feb.15.2009 @ 06:42PM EDT by chontri

When a man observed others's activities, actions and results for some time, thinking about what he perceived for a while, then he said: "Yes. There is karma. It's there, in everything in the world."  Then he maintained: There is karma. It's real and true.  And he held on it tight and long.

Is karma real and true?  Yes, of course, it is to him, at least.

And another man observed others's activities, actions and results for some time, thinking about what he perceived for a while, then he said: "No. There is no karma at all. It's not there, not in anything in the world."  Then he maintained: There is no karma. It's not real and untrue.  And he held on it tight and long.

Is karma real and true?  No, of course not, it is not to him, at least.

By chance, the two men met each other at some place.  They exchanged their discoveries - their point of views on karma, and they debated, argumented, and did not agree anything at all. They started fighting. First verbally, next physically.  As a result, one of them got blue and black and the other got black and blue.

Someone witnessed the scenarios, saw what happened entirely, understood it and said: "They actually made up their karma.  The same with existence and non-existence, soul and no soul, God and no God, etc..."

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email chontri
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lionel
Feb.15.2009
07:09PM EDT 
Email Lionel
vertical line ...hello, Mr Chontri, ...how is the garden lately? ...i see it's flowering & someone seems getting busy... hehehe... & how does Chontri know the old body is not good? Thanks & another happy new year!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92470
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.15.2009
07:24PM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line

Quote: "...hello, Mr Chontri, ...how is the garden lately? ...i see it's flowering & someone seems getting busy... hehehe... & how does Chontri know the old body is not good? Thanks & another happy new year!"

Hi Mr. Lionel, ...the garden here looks like dead in this time during the year.  It will be green and colorful in spring but It got to wait until late March for the first flowres, actually they will be in full blossoms in May.

You asked, "how does he know the old body is not good?"  So, how do you know your head have a headache?

It is a litlle late to say, Happy New Year!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lionel
Feb.15.2009
07:41PM EDT 
Email Lionel
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "...hello, Mr Chontri, ...how is the garden lately? ...i see it's flowering & someone seems getting busy... hehehe... & how does Chontri know the old body is not good? Thanks & another happy new year!"

Hi Mr. Lionel, ...the garden here looks like dead in this time during the year.  It will be green and colorful in spring but It got to wait until late March for the first flowres, actually they will be in full blossoms in May.

You asked, "how does he know the old body is not good?"  So, how do you know your head have a headache?

"

"

...hahaha, didn't Chontri too come late for this year...? At least we are all still within the year upon this moment of contact... CHEERS~~~

...time for me to walk out to meet my wife for usual breakfast as she is exercising outdoor at this moment otherwise she will keep on waiting restlessly. Thks & do take care DEAREST OLD MAN!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92476
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.15.2009
08:03PM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

...hahaha, didn't Chontri too come late for this year...? At least we are all still within the year upon this moment of contact... CHEERS~~~

...time for me to walk out to meet my wife for usual breakfast as she is exercising outdoor at this moment otherwise she will keep on waiting restlessly. Thks & do take care DEAREST OLD MAN!

"

"

Have fun with your wife.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92479
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Feb.16.2009
06:23AM EDT 
vertical line

Non existence is not there at all. Existence has no opposite.

Karma or no Karma is a question.

This question can only be entertained, irrelevant of truth or no truth, within reality. or lets say existence.

Many subjects and questions are full of tricky diversions.

What is the sound of a seasoned man who still does not truthfully know the sound of one hand clapping.

Forget the herbal tea.

The right picture dont make the picture right. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lightpink
Feb.16.2009
06:36AM EDT 
Email lightpink
vertical line

"Karma is reality.

I looked at my arm today whilst painting.

My arm is karma."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92494
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.16.2009
06:50AM EDT 
Email chontri

This question can only be entertained, irrelevant of truth or no truth, within reality. or lets say existence.

What is the sound of a seasoned man who still does not truthfully know the sound of one hand clapping.

Forget the herbal tea.

"

"

So, you come here for entertainment.  Have fun. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92496
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Feb.16.2009
07:10AM EDT 

Forget the herbal tea.

"

"

"

"

Not at all Mr. Chontri.

I would like you to know something.

A bull in a china shop leaves much damage behind, completely unknown to the bull.

I dont know if you comprehend this, as 'like a bull in a china shop' is an Australian/English proverb. I dont know if you will get it.

Things are what they are.

So why dont you tell me what is the sound of one hand clapping is.

Buddhists think that they know the answer to this. But that is just wishfull thinking.

Welcome to Zen.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92501
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.16.2009
07:17AM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

Forget the herbal tea.

"

"

Not at all Mr. Chontri.

A bull in a china shop leaves much damage behind, completely unknown to the bull.

I dont know if you comprehend this, as 'like a bull in a china shop' is an Australian/English proverb. I dont know if you will get it.

Buddhists think that they know the answer to this. But that is just wishfull thinking.

Welcome to Zen.

"

"

The sound of one hand clapping is the sound of one hand clapping.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92502
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Feb.16.2009
08:01AM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line
Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?

It is about Form that two hands clap and there is a sound and Emptiness

where no sound is produce and it is  illusive if one is bound by this concept.

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92506
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Feb.16.2009
01:26PM EDT 
vertical line

Karma is a concept.

Its basic idea is that whatever you do that effects other beings, will in turn make these beings react and so on. Karma is limited to intentional actions. Particularly evil actions that are meant for harming others are the most destructive. Even so called good actions are problematic, because with them one imposes ones own moral laws on others.

When somebody says that there is no karma, they don't mean how there is no karmic concept, but rather that intentional actions have no influence on the events, because events take their course no matter what we do.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92522
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.16.2009
01:39PM EDT 
vertical line Anger [naming one] is its own high blood pressure head pain karma knot in the solar plexus.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92525
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.16.2009
02:47PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Karma is like a toilet, when I go outside, and leaves are like teachers, of what we were, what we are, what we will become, if not flushed.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92535
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.16.2009
07:38PM EDT 
Email chontri

Forget the herbal tea.

"

"

"

Not at all Mr. Chontri.

Welcome to Zen.

"

"

-You are that bull, Mr. IZIZIZ

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92562
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.16.2009
07:45PM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line

Quote: "Karma is like a toilet, when I go outside, and leaves are like teachers, of what we were, what we are, what we will become, if not flushed. "

Mr. Woodsman,

Go back to your bathroom and check your toilet.  If not flushed as you said, then flush it three times. Nex, take a bath, change your clean cloth, then come back your computer and type.  Your "karma" will be no more.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92566
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.16.2009
09:43PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I just need some sleep karma.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92576
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.16.2009
09:49PM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line

Quote: "I just need some sleep karma. "

It's not hard.  Just sleep and karma will sleep with you. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92577
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.16.2009
10:18PM EDT 
Email Woodsman

"

Unless I dream, of problem solving.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92579
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.16.2009
11:02PM EDT 
Email chontri

"

"

"

"

If you dream, problem will dream with you.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92582
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.16.2009
11:18PM EDT 
Email Woodsman

"

"

"

"

If you dream, problem will dream with you.

"

I'll just sleep like a rock instead.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92584
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.17.2009
12:37AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Don't come too close.  Maybe I'll gag.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92586
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Lionel
Feb.17.2009
05:52AM EDT 
Email Lionel

"

"

"

Have fun with your wife.

"

"

haha, funs that need sharing/carrying in life...?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92592
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.17.2009
05:59AM EDT 
vertical line

There was a man with a frustrating job.  When he would get frustrated he would call up the bully who used to beat him up in school, insult him, and then hang up.  This made him feel better.

Then he got a more frustrating job, and one phone call was not enough, so he would call up an old boss who did not like him and insult him too, and then hang up.  That made him feel better.

Then he got promoted again and his stress level was at its limit.  So he called up the bully and insulted him, but he did not hang up.  He said, And if  you want to do something about it I will be waiting for you at Smittys Bar.  And he did the same thing with his old boss, also telling him to meet him at Smittys Bar. 

Then he went down to Smittys Bar and watched the fight, and that made him feel better, seeing Karma catch up with those two guys.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92593
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.17.2009
08:44AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I was right, and dreamt of light. So I awoke, with an appetite. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92620
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.17.2009
10:48AM EDT 
vertical line Gag calmer.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92625
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.17.2009
12:18PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line qUACH STACKER...dHARMA PACKER
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92638
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.17.2009
09:18PM EDT 
Email chontri

There was a man with a frustrating job.  When he would get frustrated he would call up the bully who used to beat him up in school, insult him, and then hang up.  This made him feel better.

Then he got a more frustrating job, and one phone call was not enough, so he would call up an old boss who did not like him and insult him too, and then hang up.  That made him feel better.

Then he got promoted again and his stress level was at its limit.  So he called up the bully and insulted him, but he did not hang up.  He said, And if  you want to do something about it I will be waiting for you at Smittys Bar.  And he did the same thing with his old boss, also telling him to meet him at Smittys Bar. 

Then he went down to Smittys Bar and watched the fight, and that made him feel better, seeing Karma catch up with those two guys.

"

"

You were that man, weren't you?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92652
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from kelvintan
Feb.17.2009
09:43PM EDT 
Email kelvintan
vertical line

Karma are

Chained Happenings Only Not Thinking Realises "I" don't know.

With Metta

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92653
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.18.2009
07:51AM EDT 

"

"

You were that man, weren't you?

"

"

No that is just a joke I heard somewhere.

I have found that there is no need for revenge.  Just to wait and be patient.  Those who do wrong to others eventually find themselves paying for it.

OJ Simpson is a classic example.  He is in prison now, he just got a little extra time to golf a few rounds first.  But his Buddha Nature assured that he would end up there.

That is Karma, I think, that things come to us according to our Buddha Nature.

Still you are right that I am not a nice person by nature.  I have killed and enjoyed it.  I am not proud of that.  I have stolen and committed many other sins like adultery too. 

I just try not to sin anymore. Who is there to harm but yourself.  Who is there to help but yourself.

Did you know that Amazing Grace was written by a Pirate who reformed after experiencing an Epiphany?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92665
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Feb.18.2009
12:23PM EDT 
vertical line I don't see karma being limited to the person who has caused it, in the sense that you do something bad and you'll have to pay for it. After all, such a person is just a concept anyway.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92670
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.18.2009
08:45PM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line

I just try not to sin anymore. Who is there to harm but yourself.  Who is there to help but yourself.

immortal1

With this only, you are  good enough.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92691
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Feb.19.2009
06:08AM EDT 
vertical line

Karma is reality.

Reality is Karma.

You are reality.

You are Karma.

All is karma.

KARMA IS BEING.

You cannot see Karma for it has no contrast, yet all you see is Karma.

The great paradox again.

That one hand.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92704
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Feb.19.2009
06:13AM EDT 
vertical line So, was the Buddha Karma?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 92705
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this STATUE OF BUDDHA
by Ian Cumming
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s