history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 23 2014 01:52PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One should not imagine oneself to be one with the eye or
independent of it or the owner of it.
The same with ear and all the other senses, including the mind.
Nor should one imagine oneself to be identical with the world or
contained... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: MONSTER MIND
vertical line Posted on Feb.25.2009 @ 04:58PM EDT by Rebecca
Remind me again on how to not let the mind be the master. Isnt controlling the mind sometimes just supresstion?I know what its supposed to be but my mind does not care.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email Rebecca
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.25.2009
05:29PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line It's when the mind rejects an experience, or dwells in thoughts of past or future that we become disconnected from the body, the breath, the rhythm of creation. The concepts of  "I am this/ not that" reject all that I will become without it, without the false coverings of desire gratification that builds a wall of insecurity. Of course we can move around in the forest of our bodies and discover a very real value for every moment, between the thoughts of like versus dislike, we can begin with words we choose to speak to others, even tone. Words themselves contain the whole dynamic of the eight=fold path. And, there will always be failure, once it's acceptable, it diminishes. *Big breath.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93010
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.25.2009
05:49PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

rebecca

who are you ?

what is asking ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Mslapik
Feb.25.2009
07:36PM EDT 
Email Mslapik
vertical line Who is the mind mastering ?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93018
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.25.2009
09:09PM EDT 
vertical line Cue.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93025
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.26.2009
04:28AM EDT 
vertical line

People try because Zen is something they think they are doing.  It is not.

Do not try to master the mind, or anything.

Do not try to quiet the mind, or anything.

Zen is undoing, it is not-doing.

The natural state of your mind is quiet and still, peaceful and relaxed.

Do not make the mind be quiet and still, peaceful and relaxed.  That is more doing on top of the doing that is agitating your mind, which upsets the mind even more.

Stop doing anything.  Simply stop everything.

Silence is attained by stopping making the words in your head.  Breathe instead.

Look at the world around you as if you were a fish in a fishbowl under water.  Its just a trick, but it may help to see things from a different perspective for awhile.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93035
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.26.2009
06:33AM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line Quote: "

Do not make the mind be quiet and still, peaceful and relaxed.  That is more doing on top of the doing that is agitating your mind, which upsets the mind even more.

Silence is attained by stopping making the words in your head.  Breathe instead.

Look at the world around you as if you were a fish in a fishbowl under water.  Its just a trick, but it may help to see things from a different perspective for awhile.

"

"

Right. Stop doing and go looking.

When looking around you, if you see anything attractive to you, you go ahead and obtain it, then make a claim of what you obtain to every body.  Is this is called the natural state of your mind?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93046
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Feb.26.2009
11:47AM EDT 
vertical line This mind supervisor, who is trying to control the mind, is the same mind that doesn't want to be controlled. It does not help saying: I should do this or that in order to stop it. Just let that funny mind be the master of itself if it wishes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93065
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.26.2009
12:44PM EDT 
vertical line Shine a light on me. If the conditions are a hindrance, break through the conditions. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93071
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.26.2009
12:45PM EDT 
vertical line That first sentence is ironical.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93072
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Feb.26.2009
07:35PM EDT 
Email Rebecca

rebecca

who are you ?

what is asking ?

"Lehish,I was wondering when you would do the"who are you thing" to me. I didnt like it. The more I tried to respond to it the more the who and what got mixed up.So all I could do was sit and cry...zip my mouth and go to bed.

"Lehish,I was wondering when you would do the"who are you thing" to me. I didnt like it. The more I tried to respond to it the more the who and what got mixed up.So all I could do was sit and cry...zip my mouth and go to bed.

But Its a new day. Who can seem to only be answered by what one enjoys, is inspired by, does. Bet thats wrong.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93082
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Feb.26.2009
07:44PM EDT 
Email Rebecca
vertical line

Quote: "It's when the mind rejects an experience, or dwells in thoughts of past or future that we become disconnected from the body, the breath, the rhythm of creation. The concepts of  "I am this/ not that" reject all that I will become without it, without the false coverings of desire gratification that builds a wall of insecurity. Of course we can move around in the forest of our bodies and discover a very real value for every moment, between the thoughts of like versus dislike, we can begin with words we choose to speak to others, even tone. Words themselves contain the whole dynamic of the eight=fold path. And, there will always be failure, once it's acceptable, it diminishes. *Big breath. "
.......yes all true.

false coverings of desire gratification.....and may I add some illusion that a sense of mind calmness, is covered in a wall of insecurity that is revealed when life piles up all around and gets overwhelming. The thinking takes the opportunity to creep in and set off explosions.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93084
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Feb.26.2009
07:51PM EDT 
Email Rebecca
vertical line Quote: "This mind supervisor, who is trying to control the mind, is the same mind that doesn't want to be controlled. It does not help saying: I should do this or that in order to stop it. Just let that funny mind be the master of itself if it wishes. "
......... The funny mind will only say " I want what I want...for once!"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93085
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.26.2009
07:52PM EDT 
Email Woodsman

Quote: "It's when the mind rejects an experience, or dwells in thoughts of past or future that we become disconnected from the body, the breath, the rhythm of creation. The concepts of  "I am this/ not that" reject all that I will become without it, without the false coverings of desire gratification that builds a wall of insecurity. Of course we can move around in the forest of our bodies and discover a very real value for every moment, between the thoughts of like versus dislike, we can begin with words we choose to speak to others, even tone. Words themselves contain the whole dynamic of the eight=fold path. And, there will always be failure, once it's acceptable, it diminishes. *Big breath. "
.......yes all true.

false coverings of desire gratification.....and may I add some illusion that a sense of mind calmness, is covered in a wall of insecurity that is revealed when life piles up all around and gets overwhelming. The thinking takes the opportunity to creep in and set off explosions.

"

Yes, insecurity and feelings of emptiness we all share. It's just that in Buddhism they become our strengths, our weakness become our strengths, and we share this together. It is the most beautiful feeling when we are able to accept our faults and find hidden value in them. It's amazing to me, a precious gift, like finding a diamond in the rough..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93086
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.26.2009
08:23PM EDT 
vertical line The treasure of realisation [not limited by Buddhism or any ism]all the faults and merits which exist are within you. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93087
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.26.2009
08:26PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line The only way you'll ever grow up is by taking an honest look at what is actually going on in your experience as well as everything you've been avoiding your whole life: fear, death, destruction, motivations, beliefs, assumptions, being false(pretending to be someone/something you're not, the hollow core of your personality), and being alone.

How long will you dabble with spiritual ideas before you recognize that they are all dead ends? Will it ever come to a point where you want to find out what you really are? Who can hear this?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93088
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.26.2009
10:02PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

rebecca

who are you ?

what is asking ?

But Its a new day. Who can seem to only be answered by what one enjoys, is inspired by, does. Bet thats wrong.

"

"

mixed up, geat!...cried, great!

what-who enjoys, is inspired, does ?

(wink}

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93093
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
02:39AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "The only way you'll ever grow up is by taking an honest look at what is actually going on in your experience as well as everything you've been avoiding your whole life: fear, death, destruction, motivations, beliefs, assumptions, being false(pretending to be someone/something you're not, the hollow core of your personality), and being alone.

How long will you dabble with spiritual ideas before you recognize that they are all dead ends? Will it ever come to a point where you want to find out what you really are? Who can hear this?

"

chontri: When one's feeding his ox, he may let the ox eating freely on his own farm but may not let the ox eat the rice on other's farm.  When the ox starts comming over the limit of the farm, he needs to take the ox back.  If not, he'll get trouble with his neighbor.

what post were you responding to, 9 ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93104
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.27.2009
05:20AM EDT 

"

"

When looking around you, if you see anything attractive to you, you go ahead and obtain it, then make a claim of what you obtain to every body.  Is this is called the natural state of your mind?

"

"

Shunyro Suzuki wrote of a time when he almost drowned.  He and some of his students were swimming in a river and he wanted to go underwater to see the girls in their bikinis.  He got caught in a current and almost drowned.

But he was not ashamed that this was the natural state of his mind.  He was just being himself afterall.  He thought it was a good joke on himself, with maybe some karma added in to the mix.

We are all unique, by virtue of our Buddha Nature.  But how are we to know what our Buddha Nature is if we keep making ourselves into something we are not but think we should be?

Only if we let the manufactured part of ourselves fall away can we find what remains and then know who we are.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93108
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.27.2009
06:39AM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

Shunyro Suzuki wrote of a time when he almost drowned.  He and some of his students were swimming in a river and he wanted to go underwater to see the girls in their bikinis.  He got caught in a current and almost drowned.

But he was not ashamed that this was the natural state of his mind.  He was just being himself afterall.  He thought it was a good joke on himself, with maybe some karma added in to the mix.

We are all unique, by virtue of our Buddha Nature.  But how are we to know what our Buddha Nature is if we keep making ourselves into something we are not but think we should be?

Only if we let the manufactured part of ourselves fall away can we find what remains and then know who we are.

"

"

ChonTri is somewhat different from Suzuki in your story. 

Except for, in case, some bikini were going to be drawn, he would not dive underwater to see how a bikini was.  Bikinis on the bank of the river were enough for him to see and know how they were.  He does not need to know who or what he is in that way.  He does not know what Buddha nature is and he does not want to know it in that way.   

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93121
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
06:48AM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

"

"

"

"

"let" as though can control ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93122
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.27.2009
08:09AM EDT 

Quote: "The only way you'll ever grow up is by taking an honest look at what is actually going on in your experience as well as everything you've been avoiding your whole life: fear, death, destruction, motivations, beliefs, assumptions, being false(pretending to be someone/something you're not, the hollow core of your personality), and being alone.

"

chontri: When one's feeding his ox, he may let the ox eating freely on his own farm but may not let the ox eat the rice on other's farm.  When the ox starts comming over the limit of the farm, he needs to take the ox back.  If not, he'll get trouble with his neighbor.

"

Don't you have enough rice on your own farm?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93126
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.27.2009
08:12AM EDT 

rebecca

who are you ?

what is asking ?

"

"

(wink}

"

Go and eat some rice.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93129
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.27.2009
08:23AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line some beard is nice
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93134
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.27.2009
09:24AM EDT 

"

"

"

"

"

Calculating. Ok, so when are you going to stop lying to yourself?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93141
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
04:01PM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

Don't you have enough rice on your own farm?

"

"

not you're business, rustic, lehish asked what the post the post was a respnse to

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93155
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
04:02PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

rebecca

who are you ?

what is asking ?

"

"

(wink}

"

Go and eat some rice.

"

"

not you're business, rustic

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93156
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
04:04PM EDT 
Email lehish

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

not you're business.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93157
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.27.2009
04:54PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line I only react to what I think I think I'm reading.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93160
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.27.2009
05:09PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Are you doing what I think I think you're doing? Are you brandishing someone else's words because you think you think you know what they mean? Could it be that you're the one who is running your ox over everyone else's farms?

I have no farm of my own and I can't tell where one's farm ends and another's begins.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93161
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
05:49PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Are you doing what I think I think you're doing? Are you brandishing someone else's words because you think you think you know what they mean? Could it be that you're the one who is running your ox over everyone else's farms?

I have no farm of my own and I can't tell where one's farm ends and another's begins.

"

wasn't poste you have a farm of your own

if you were thinking maybe lehish is doing , it has nothing to do with lehish

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93162
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
05:54PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

9:  "The only way you'll ever grow up is by taking an honest look at what is actually going on in your experience as well as everything you've been avoiding your whole life: fear, death, destruction, motivations, beliefs, assumptions, being false(pretending to be someone/something you're not, the hollow core of your personality), and being alone.

9: "I only react to what I think I think I'm reading. "

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93163
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.27.2009
06:42PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line eh eh eh eh eh

I don't remember that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93167
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.27.2009
06:43PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line Are you speculating about what you think I thought I was thinking about? :O
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93168
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
09:09PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Are you speculating about what you think I thought I was thinking about? :O
"

what speculating ?

you posted: Quote: "Are you doing what I think I think you're doing? Are you brandishing someone else's words because you think you think you know what they mean? Could it be that you're the one who is running your ox over everyone else's farms?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93176
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.27.2009
09:44PM EDT 
vertical line So undeniably right and yet so wrong.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93196
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
10:10PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "So undeniably right and yet so wrong."

what are you referring ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93200
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.27.2009
10:17PM EDT 

what are you referring ?

"

Don't you know?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93202
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
10:19PM EDT 
Email lehish

what are you referring ?

"

Don't you know?

"

"

what were you saying is "undeniably right and yet so wrong" ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93205
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.27.2009
10:21PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "eh eh eh eh eh

I don't remember that.
"

you could read above

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93207
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.27.2009
10:25PM EDT 
vertical line No wall is high enough.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93209
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.27.2009
11:30PM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line I'm not gonna say.

Wuddya think of them apples?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93215
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Feb.28.2009
03:40AM EDT 
Email Rebecca
vertical line Quote: "The only way you'll ever grow up is by taking an honest look at what is actually going on in your experience as well as everything you've been avoiding your whole life: fear, death, destruction, motivations, beliefs, assumptions, being false(pretending to be someone/something you're not, the hollow core of your personality), and being alone.

"You assume much to say such things.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93223
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.28.2009
04:08AM EDT 

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

Maybe a more apt question for a Zen Buddhist forum would be,

Since lying to yourself is delusion, can one exist without delusion?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93225
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.28.2009
04:10AM EDT 

"

"

"

"

Except for, in case, some bikini were going to be drawn, he would not dive underwater to see how a bikini was.  Bikinis on the bank of the river were enough for him to see and know how they were.  He does not need to know who or what he is in that way.  He does not know what Buddha nature is and he does not want to know it in that way.   

"

"

Why so many different kinds of us if we are all Buddha after all?

Buddha has quite a wide and varied appetite, eh?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93226
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.28.2009
04:11AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "The treasure of realisation [not limited by Buddhism or any ism]all the faults and merits which exist are within you. "

Ooooooooooh !!   That is deeeeeeeeep !!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93227
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.28.2009
04:17AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "The only way you'll ever grow up is by taking an honest look at what is actually going on in your experience as well as everything you've been avoiding your whole life: fear, death, destruction, motivations, beliefs, assumptions, being false(pretending to be someone/something you're not, the hollow core of your personality), and being alone.

"You assume much to say such things.
"

No one can say anything about anothers spiritual development.  We are all on our own path.  If we did not have further to go we would not be walking together here.

What we share may help each other.  Or not. 

Give what you have.  Take what will help you.  But only our own path should matter to each of us.

Ultimately, its your ass, not someone elses.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93228
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.28.2009
04:20AM EDT 

Quote: "The treasure of realisation [not limited by Buddhism or any ism]all the faults and merits which exist are within you. "

"

"

Small children are usually placed at a smaller Childrens Table for a reason.  They eat sloppily, and say things that to them seem wise or funny, and which were to us too when we were children.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93229
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Feb.28.2009
04:23AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line >>>Ultimately, its your ass, not someone elses<<<
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93230
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:24AM EDT 

"

"

Small children are usually placed at a smaller Childrens Table for a reason.  They eat sloppily, and say things that to them seem wise or funny, and which were to us too when we were children.

"

Yeah? Goo goo ga joob. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93231
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:26AM EDT 
vertical line Looks like a string of snot hanging out your knows. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93235
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.28.2009
04:28AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Looks like a string of snot hanging out your knows. "

rustic's  ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93237
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:29AM EDT 

rustic's  ?

"

Snot your business. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93239
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:30AM EDT 
vertical line There are strings of snot hanging out of your knows and the knows of the immortal 1.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93240
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.28.2009
04:31AM EDT 
Email lehish

rustic&apos;s  ?

"

Snot your business. 

"

"

that was you're buisness ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93241
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.28.2009
04:31AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "There are strings of snot hanging out of your knows and the knows of the immortal 1."

whip you're knows first

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93242
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.28.2009
04:32AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line * whipe
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93243
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:33AM EDT 
vertical line Scurry, scrabble busyness.  You're in the lehish selective corrective business, it's a murky business but somebody doesn't have to do it. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93244
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.28.2009
04:34AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Scurry, scrabble busyness.  You&apos;re in the lehish selective corrective business, it&apos;s a murky business but somebody doesn&apos;t have to do it. "

not correct

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93245
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:38AM EDT 
vertical line That's right, you're not correct.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93249
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Feb.28.2009
04:42AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "That&apos;s right, you&apos;re not correct."

hahaha

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93254
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Feb.28.2009
04:43AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "There are strings of snot hanging out of your knows and the knows of the immortal 1."

Just curious, are you in a mental institution?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93256
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Feb.28.2009
04:45AM EDT 
vertical line Ah, back to the default option.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93258
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from chontri
Feb.28.2009
06:22AM EDT 
Email chontri
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

"

"

"

Why so many different kinds of us if we are all Buddha after all?

Buddha has quite a wide and varied appetite, eh?

"

"

When ChonTri looked at some flowers, he just saw flowers, did not think about uniqueness or variety.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93267
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from -----0
Mar.01.2009
02:34AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "This mind supervisor, who is trying to control the mind, is the same mind that doesn&apos;t want to be controlled. It does not help saying: I should do this or that in order to stop it. Just let that funny mind be the master of itself if it wishes. "

......... The funny mind will only say " I want what I want...for once!""

The thinking mind is a precious organ. It can do a good job, but it has problems keeping quiet. Once we see its nature, the rest is just technique.

Traditionally it can be done with sitting meditation. I personally prefer physical activity, because the body aspect gets involved too. Walking, cycling, kayaking for several hours, without any desire for achievements, can be very effective. The thinking mind tries to interfere here again, suggesting training patterns, heart beat measurements, competitions . . . Best keep it simple, while walking, just walk.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93339
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Mar.02.2009
05:11AM EDT 
vertical line Yes quiet the mind with absolute focus on something you enjoy, something that keeps you thoroughly involved - 'flow'
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93363
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.02.2009
10:36AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Yes quiet the mind with absolute focus on something you enjoy, something that keeps you thoroughly involved - &apos;flow&apos;"

not that way

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93369
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.02.2009
03:26PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Look! It's Jesus! Right inside of you! Or feel, I mean. One quiet presence. Completely silent, like a lion, laying down with a lamb. How's that happen?! Shhhh!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93370
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Mar.02.2009
05:58PM EDT 
Email Rebecca

Quote: "Yes quiet the mind with absolute focus on something you enjoy, something that keeps you thoroughly involved - &apos;flow&apos;"

not that way

"What way?Then....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93381
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.02.2009
09:18PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line is there a way to walk eat sleep ?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93387
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Mar.03.2009
03:32AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line What do you need to do to be exactly what you already are?  The way to do it is to find out exactly what-you-are so you stop pretending to be something you're not.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93394
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.03.2009
08:19AM EDT 

not that way

"What way?Then....
"

Not that way implies this way. Could say, not that way or this way. Could say, neither not that way nor not this way. When looking to verify or check, everything is incorrect. Being present, here now, there is no business and everything is correct.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93398
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.03.2009
09:31AM EDT 
Email lehish

not that way

"What way?Then....
"

Not that way implies this way. Could say, not that way or this way. Could say, neither not that way nor not this way. When looking to verify or check, everything is incorrect. Being present, here now, there is no business and everything is correct.

"

"

you posted assuming alot about "not that way"

not correct = posting assuming

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93411
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.03.2009
09:33AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Damn I can get so angry.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93413
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.03.2009
09:39AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line It's just these stupid people! Ahhh!!!

"Allow me to rub your ears.", I said nicely to a stranger. And they said, "Puck off."

And I said, "No, I'll just rub 'em."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93415
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.03.2009
10:37AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Damn I can get so angry. "

you were angry ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93422
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.03.2009
10:38AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "It&apos;s just these stupid people! Ahhh!!!

"Allow me to rub your ears.", I said nicely to a stranger. And they said, "Puck off."

And I said, "No, I&apos;ll just rub &apos;em."
"

on the forum ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93423
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.03.2009
10:53AM EDT 
Email Woodsman

you were angry ?

"

I've gotta go get my apples cut up for the dehydrator! Not sit here on my what and get needled!?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93426
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.03.2009
11:07AM EDT 
Email lehish

you were angry ?

"

I&apos;ve gotta go get my apples cut up for the dehydrator! Not sit here on my what and get needled!?
"

"

I&apos;ve gotta go get my apples cut up for the dehydrator! Not sit here on my what and get needled!?
"

did sit on a needle or is raisen still on behind ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93428
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.03.2009
11:29AM EDT 
Email Woodsman

you were angry ?

"

"

"

"

"

yes, yes, no, no, yes, and mabye.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93432
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Rebecca
Mar.03.2009
11:53AM EDT 
Email Rebecca

you were angry ?

"

"Gotta say I just dried a whole bunch of apples with cinnamon a couple of days ago. Bananas yesterday.Soooo good
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93435
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.03.2009
12:23PM EDT 
Email lehish

you were angry ?

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

say "yes, yes, no, no, yes, and mabye" when nursing ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93436
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.03.2009
12:52PM EDT 
Email Woodsman

you were angry ?

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

say "yes, yes, no, no, yes, and mabye" when nursing ?

"

huh?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93443
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.03.2009
01:23PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93445
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.03.2009
02:41PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Is that an order? Or odor? Or just, um...? Suzy Homemaker has never felt, or smelt so good. But I prefer male patient's, stink, baby.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93447
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.04.2009
03:42AM EDT 

not that way

"What way?Then....
......... "

"What way?Then....
"

The mind is already quiet and peaceful.  We make it otherwise, as one thought leads to another and the brow furrows.

It is not necessary to make the mind be quiet.  Just let it return to its natural state by not agitating it.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93480
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from 9999999
Mar.04.2009
04:39AM EDT 
Email 9999999
vertical line >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>one thought leads to another<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93486
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from clangor
Mar.04.2009
05:21AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>one thought leads to another<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< "

One thought?

One intention? One emotion? One sensation?

One vision!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93489
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.04.2009
05:29AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Is that an order? Or odor? Or just, um...? Suzy Homemaker has never felt, or smelt so good. But I prefer male patient&apos;s, stink, baby. "

bedpans ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.04.2009
08:42AM EDT 

not that way

"What way?Then....
"

"

"

"

What do you think is being assumed?

Not that way implies this way is the manifestation of a response to what was in front of my face.

Everything is correct here.

What's it like where you are?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93513
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.04.2009
09:02AM EDT 
Email lehish

not that way

"What way?Then....
"

"

"

"

"

Not that way implies this way is the manifestation of a response to what was in front of my face.

What&apos;s it like where you are?

"

"

read above

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93519
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.04.2009
09:04AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line be in the now. howdy
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93520
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.04.2009
09:05AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

not that way

"What way?Then....
"

"

"

"

"

What&apos;s it like where you are?

"

"

read above

"

Read above what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93521
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.04.2009
09:08AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

Quote: "Not that way implies this way. Could say, not that way or this way. Could say, neither not that way nor not this way. When looking to verify or check, everything is incorrect. Being present, here now, there is no business and everything is correct."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93522
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.04.2009
09:10AM EDT 

Quote: "Not that way implies this way. Could say, not that way or this way. Could say, neither not that way nor not this way. When looking to verify or check, everything is incorrect. Being present, here now, there is no business and everything is correct."
"

Not that way implies this way is the manifestation of a response to what was in front of my face.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93523
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.04.2009
09:11AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

off to bed...morningnightnight, rustic

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93524
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.04.2009
09:14AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line d
e
n
i
a
l
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93525
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.04.2009
04:24PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

woodsman denial ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93527
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.04.2009
04:53PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line don't
easily
negate
intellects
awesome
loquaciousness
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93529
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.05.2009
04:29AM EDT 

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

If I stopped lying to myself there would be no beloved, or The Beloved, and I would be right back where I started.

Of course, that is always an option.l

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93591
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.05.2009
09:28AM EDT 

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

If I stopped lying to myself there would be no beloved, or The Beloved, and I would be right back where I started.

Of course, that is always an option.l

"

After the Beloved option, you always have the fart option, the shaman option - then there is the default personality disorder psychological option.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93604
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.05.2009
09:32AM EDT 

Quote: "Yes quiet the mind with absolute focus on something you enjoy, something that keeps you thoroughly involved - 'flow'"

not that way

"What way?Then....
"

"

"

"

"

If you didn't think there was something to prove, something to defend, something to control, you would probably be able to answer those questions honestly.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93605
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.05.2009
04:48PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line if you didn't think there was something to prove u wouldn't have posted assuming not honest
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93617
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Mar.05.2009
05:13PM EDT 
vertical line Are you reading from a script?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93618
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.05.2009
08:04PM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line

you saw a script ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93632
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.06.2009
03:39AM EDT 

you saw a script ?

"

"

Its all in the script.

That is why we are the beloved to The Beloved, because we are just what it wants.

And if that changes, then something else will be.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93644
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.06.2009
06:37AM EDT 
Email lehish

you saw a script ?

"

"

Its all in the script."

"

don't know what you're talking about

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93651
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.07.2009
03:40AM EDT 

you saw a script ?

"

"

Its all in the script."

"

don&apos;t know what you&apos;re talking about

"

"

Awareness

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93688
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.07.2009
04:01AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line so what script, dear ?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93693
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from rebenelite
Mar.09.2009
09:43AM EDT 
vertical line HEHEHEHEHE

What words can explain?!?!?

Try sitting in the drivers seat of your car and begin driving and at the same time stand outside on the curb and direct the person in the car which way to turn the car.

This is like trying to control the mind...

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93763
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.11.2009
06:02AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "so what script, dear ?"

To the best of my understanding

It is as it is

And it will be as it will be.

Whether that is by intelligent design, or by a natural process of nature is of no real matter as the end result will be the same.

Either way, the real challenge is to accept things as it is.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93837
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.11.2009
06:14AM EDT 
vertical line

I have no desire to get into cases about what is or what is not,

what is real or what is not,

intelligent design, or just quarks falling like dominos by natural processes.

None of that matters.

Whoever or whatever we are, we have only our own experience to deal with, to enjoy, or suffer, for as long as it may last, in this life or beyond.  We are all unique.

A struggle to reconcile our experience with that of others is a waste of effort.

What is real to me is what I experience, in life, in meditation, in dreams, and that is what matters to me.  Your experiences, opinions, feelings, etc, are interesting, but they are not real to me in the total Gestalt Reality of my own Universe of my own experience.

But I do not mean to make any grandiose claims in saying that.  You have your own reality composed of your experience.  If I get to where I can walk on water I will let you know.  Until then, I am just another Zenner with a different point of view.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93838
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from lehish
Mar.11.2009
06:36AM EDT 
Email lehish
vertical line was only asking 'what script'
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93839
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.12.2009
05:19AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "was only asking &apos;what script&apos; "

I know what you mean, and I do not dispute that any assumption or conclusion about that which It is or It is not is folly.

That which can be anything is nothing in particular.  It cannot be pinned down, even a little bit.

So I guess I was just being rhetorical.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93850
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from clangor
Mar.12.2009
05:32AM EDT 

That which can be anything is nothing in particular.  It cannot be pinned down, even a little bit.

So I guess I was just being rhetorical.

"

"

"Can [not] be pinned down" is pinned down.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93851
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from IZIZIZ
Mar.12.2009
07:01AM EDT 
vertical line

Remind me again on how to not let the mind be the master. Isnt controlling the mind sometimes just supresstion?I know what its supposed to be but my mind does not care.

What is the voice of the mind?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93855
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN
by Peggy Moquay
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s