history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 23 2014 05:24AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Once upon a time, in a certain town there was a coffin maker who opened and was running a store where he sold the coffins he made himself to the customers in the neighborhood. The popuplation in the town increased day-by-day.

The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: RELIGION VERSUS PHILOSOPHY
vertical line Posted on Mar.13.2009 @ 07:59AM EDT by immortal 1

What is the difference between Religion and Philosophy.  Probably just that religion is what you believe, and philosophy is what you think, without really being able to prove either one.

In my own case I would have to say that both my religion and my philosophy are Experiential.  I believe what I experience, and I think that that is all that matters.

Experientialism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Experientialism is the philosophical theory that experience is the source of knowledge.

Indian philosophy

The term Indian philosophy (Sanskrit: Darshanas), may refer to any of several traditions of philosophical thought that originated in the Indian subcontinent, including Hindu philosophy, Buddhist philosophy, and Jain philosophy. Having the same or rather intertwined origins, all of these philosophies have a common underlying theme of Dharma, and similarly attempt to explain the attainment of emancipation.

They have been formalized and promulgated chiefly between 1,000 BC to a few centuries A.D, with residual commentaries and reformations continuing up to as late as the 20th century by Aurobindo and ISKCON among others, who provided stylized interpretations.

In the history of the Indian subcontinent, following the establishment of an Vedic culture, the development of philosophical and religious thought over a period of two millennia gave rise to what came to be called the six schools of astika, or orthodox, Indian or Hindu philosophy. These schools have come to be synonymous with the greater religion of Hinduism, which was a development of the early Vedic religion.

Hindu philosophy constitutes an integral part of the culture of Southern Asia, and is the first of the Dharmic philosophies which were influential throughout the Far East. The great diversity in thought and practice of Hinduism is nurtured by its liberal universalism.

Buddhism is broadly recognized as being composed of two major branches:

While Buddhism remains most popular within these regions of Asia, both branches are now found throughout the world.

Buddhist schools disagree on what the historical teachings of Gautama Buddha were, so much so that some scholars claim Buddhism does not have a clearly definable common core.[6] Significant disagreement also exists over the importance and canonicity of various scriptures.

Various sources put the number of Buddhists in the world between 230 million and 500 million.[7][8][9][10] While formal conversion or membership varies between communities, basic lay adherence is often defined in terms of a traditional formula in which the practitioner takes refuge in The Three Jewels: the Buddha, the Dharma (the Teaching of the Buddha), and the Sangha (the Community of Buddhists).

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.13.2009
08:18AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line The word is... anal retentive.... or words.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93903
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from rebenelite
Mar.13.2009
01:57PM EDT 
vertical line Philosophy and religion are creations of someones mind.
Maybe what you experience would be your philosphy and perhaps you could make a few bucks if you wrote it in a book and sold it =)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93921
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.14.2009
04:24AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Philosophy and religion are creations of someones mind.
Maybe what you experience would be your philosphy and perhaps you could make a few bucks if you wrote it in a book and sold it =)
"

I saw Gangaji on TV and she laughed about her occupation conducting seminars to help people to attain enlightenment.

She said,  I am selling water down by the river !!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93940
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from clangor
Mar.14.2009
10:30AM EDT 
vertical line

I understand, Nietzche didn't think to highly of perspectivism:

"no way of seeing the world can be taken as definitively "true", but does not necessarily propose that all perspectives are equally valid."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 93966
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from immortal 1
Mar.17.2009
05:08AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

I understand, Nietzche didn't think to highly of perspectivism:

"no way of seeing the world can be taken as definitively "true", but does not necessarily propose that all perspectives are equally valid."

"

"

Existentialism, such as that of Nietzche, can be a good stepping stone in thinking toward a state conducive to zazen.

Existentialism defies definition, as does Zen.  Personally I think of it as the idea that Nature has dropped you in behind enemy lines and it is up to you to find your way back to safety, without any help from anyone under hostile conditions.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 94043
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION II (SILVER FOIL STAMPED & EMBOSSED)
by Chris Paschke
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s
i