history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Oct 25 2014 08:18PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Sep.11.2009 @ 10:04PM EDT by chontri
Once the brahmin Janussoni approached the Buddha... and spoke to him thus:

"It is said, Master Gotama, 'Nibbana is directly visible.' In what way, Master
Gotama, is Nibbana... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SEEKING DIRECTION
vertical line Posted on Nov.05.2010 @ 05:10PM EDT by soup41

I am looking for a place to devote my life to serious, deep meditation; nothing much else but meditation. Does a place still exist?

A little about the path that has led me to this question.

I am male, 35.5 years old. About 8-9 years ago I was awakened, my eyes were opened or had satori.

I am not a buddhist or anything else but my understanding of things allows me to identify with the teachings and scriptures of buddhism. The scripture I hold closest to my heart is the teachings of Tao.

According to the awakening I have renounced wordly life and have lived in homlessness as a traveler, and in the wilderness.

Most recently my hermatige was in the jungle, south puna on the island of Hawaii. I cleared an area and planted food trees and food bearing plants. I lived in a plywood shack with no utilities while caring for a child who is still with me here and now in California. He will be 3 in Jan of 2011.

That hermatage was the feild of potentiality I had been seeking since the awakening. I had previously had a similar oppurtunity after my first hermatage in the wilderness when the woman I was with was preagnant. We had reasoned with our new understanding that if a child were to be born and raised under certain conditions that it would not need to fall into illusion. Her child was almost born in the wilderness by a couple of weeks but was born at my mothers house, on whos land we planted a garden surrounded by redwoods and we lived in the garden. The reasoning and philosophy can be explained but unless questioned I will spare the details.however the general concept was that if a human's consciousness was to awakne in an environment where all things were provided without toil, where everything was there for the picking and could be eaten, or any tool or technology was a product of the organic environment, then a child would not fall into the trap of desire, and would attain to an image of wholeness by natural process.

Again in this situation with what was another child who at the begining of the hermatage was a 1.5 year old boy now almost 3 as I said, I began to ponder the fruitlessness of the effort under the conditions of today, with out an enlightened culture to support it. Altho' my son by the age of two did show signs of understanding of the lifecycle of the food plants which we ate, he would be destened to fall under the allure of the culture at large merely by the desire to identify with other children which is important for a healthy social view.

Besides in this day and age, if one chooses a life of poverty, to live an organic lifestyle, under organic conditions, to live as a homeless wanderer as the buddha says a devotee should, he or she is not allowed to do so with children. There is an unwritten law, in fact the totality of the law says one is not allowed to do so while raising a child, or your child will be taken.

Pondering the fruitlessness of all this I wondered what I myself would do if I had no child in my care, and I realised at this point on the path I would have to submit to meditation, something I had not really pursued for various reasons. I pondered the expression penned by Lau tzu, that to meet ones desires is secondary  to conquering ones desires and looking around I had through hard work met my needs without devoting myself as something to be exploited by a capitolist economy, athing which is unethical and has its root in being in desire and in need. But still, I did/do have children and dismissed a life of meditation.

Eventually by way of a certain calamity we had to leave the land we were dwelling on, and seeking a similar opportunity I was filled with mental activity, what I believe the Buddha calls birth and grasping at that stage in the process, but within a couple of weeks I refuted the desire simply by realizing that it was a cycle and would bare no fruit except for the self and the child would still be destined for wordliness and illusion, athing which I can not ethiclly cater to.

At this crossroad, a thing my mom who is a christian woman, would always say occured in my mind which is about "making choices". So I decided to make no more choices, realizing that when you are lost in the forest, the best thing to do is to just sit and it dawned on me that the only ethical course would be to reunite the boy with his sister, to bring them to a safe place togeather and renounce child rearing as a wordly affair and to devote my life to meditation; all paths meandor through insanity and lead one to his inevidable death,  the only ethical coarse in this dark time is to sit in meditation as a form of prayer for all of humanity and patiently await the enlightened one. Altho' I was awakened 8-9 years ago, I was now awakened.

One night after fruitlessly discussing christianity with a person who was staying where I was staying, I told him how I had come to feel about all paths being futile, and that I had come to understand the Buddhist saying of having "no more fuel for the fire" and that whether a buddhist or a christian, if you dont come to the conclusion that pure meditation is the only righteous path for a true spiritual devotee, I went outside and had a realization/terrorfying experience about the Buddha and his meditation. That all things are sentient and had awareness, this included thoughts and thought processes, that in this dark time of industrialization, globalization, and gentrification, all thoughts being sentient could be called demons and must be rebuked as such and that the totality of all thoughts through the mode of conflation of egos, belong to and are one sentient being who is the evil overlord of our current time and is and is not, and it has its root in the universal sense of self, which makes a home in every human being as that individual's senseof self, and it has a will to survive. When one gets close to it, one will be tempted by the sense of bliss, when one identifies to the bliss one has lost the fightless fight, when one's sense of self feels that it is becomming enlightened/attaining buddhahood, one has lost the sense of self- the self must be rebuked in a mindset attainable only in meditation as a form of suicide, that is the sense of self has to be annihilated, that one will not experienceenlightenment or buddhahood, one must trully die within inorder to be consumed by the buddha nature and that one will be nomore. One must trully lose their sense of self priority lose the will to survive for the love of all humanity by way of compassion for all humanity.

So I am at a point where I see no other way then to leave my children for meditation and need to be with other devotees for it to happen. It is an impossible thing to leave my son, since he was 8mos old I have been both mother and father to him and have not been away for more then maybe 1 hour at the most but no more. I can not go some place, a class or something to meditate and come back, I have to go for good so that there will be nomore comming or going and it pains me greatly to think about it . I will not be able to leave him til I am at the door and I will have to be peeled away and it will break our hearts, but I understand that this is what needs to be done.

So again as stated at the top of the topic I need direction to a place that might accomidate what might be the rest of my life which I intend to devote to meditation. It might be that this forum doesn't have the answer but possably some member would know of a more suitable place to look?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email soup41
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.05.2010
08:52PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Gampo Abbey, Pleasant Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118206
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.05.2010
08:59PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Insight Mediation Society, Barre, Ma.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118207
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.05.2010
11:51PM EDT 
vertical line Your first sentence would have been sufficient if it was truly the correct action. There would have been no need to recount "a little" (which was actually quite a lot) about the path that led to your decision, if you weren't looking for someone to point out the countless errors in your thinking.

Your decision to leave your situation for a life of meditation is like that of a man who wants to burn down his own barn to keep the animals inside from freezing. But you already knew that.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118209
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Fletcher
Nov.06.2010
04:34AM EDT 
Email Fletcher
vertical line You have purely selfish motives.
Get a job and face up to your responsibilities as a father.
No offense intended of course.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118211
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.06.2010
11:09AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "when you are lost in the forest, the best thing to do is to just sit"

No. The man who does that is full of self pity, ignorance, and despair.

When Esoteric is "lost" in the forest, he is not lost at all. He knows exactly where he is. He is in the forest, so he behaves accordingly. When he is hungry, he finds food. When he is thirsty, he finds water. When he is cold, he makes a fire. When he needs shelter, he builds shelter. And when he is tired, he makes a place to safely rest and sleep. If and when he needs to do something somewhere other than the forest, he just goes to that place and does what needs to be done.

Sitting in selfish ignorance is no better than thievery or murder.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118217
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Nov.06.2010
12:02PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "You have purely selfish motives.
Get a job and face up to your responsibilities as a father.
No offense intended of course.
"

yeah what he said.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118224
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.06.2010
01:27PM EDT 
vertical line Yeah. What he said.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118231
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.06.2010
01:35PM EDT 
vertical line Follow the signs glances at the road.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118234
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from soup41
Nov.06.2010
05:28PM EDT 
Email soup41
vertical line

I've had jobs.

I've worked in corporate fashion in NYC, and also as a night club promoter. I've worked on farms, I've been a midwife and a mycologist. I've gone to school.

Since my awakening the dharma is my master. Food and clothing are not a thing to be toiled after. The task is what is at hand.

Discourse and the opinions behind them can go on for an eternity and egotistical dispositions are all that would be asserted.

All thinking is flawed.

Criticism vs. a critical mind, blessings to those who gave their aid to the situation. That is compassion which is unconditional love of the buddha nature.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118245
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.06.2010
05:47PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line oh...  Zen Mountain Monastery, Mt. Tremper, NY.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118246
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from alivingman
Nov.06.2010
08:27PM EDT 
Email alivingman
vertical line The Buddha went out into the world to preach. Even grumpy, old Lao Tsu tried to tell the world his wisdom. You may not need others, but others need you. The world needs you. It suffers much.

If you cannot find peace within this world of suffering, you will not find peace running from it.

Rethink your decision.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118248
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from soup41
Nov.06.2010
10:49PM EDT 
Email soup41
vertical line

Quote: "The Buddha went out into the world to preach. Even grumpy, old Lao Tsu tried to tell the world his wisdom. You may not need others, but others need you. The world needs you. It suffers much.

If you cannot find peace within this world of suffering, you will not find peace running from it.

Rethink your decision.
"

Quote: "The Buddha went out into the world to preach. Even grumpy, old Lao Tsu tried to tell the world his wisdom. You may not need others, but others need you. The world needs you. It suffers much.

Rethink your decision.
"

I've been trying to rethink my way out of the decision for a while now. It took alot of nerve for me to post the original post. It isn't a sort of idealism or a running away from the world .

The account of the buddha as I have learned it is that he went out into the world from a sheltered existence to try to find a wat to bring an end to suffering. That he, with an open mind studied and practiced many doctrines and religious schools, and eventually found them all lacking and both refuted and renounced them. It wasn't til he he was disolusioned by all paths and ways that he sat both dejected, and resolute to sit in meditation until he found the way to end all suffering that he became truly and wholly enlightened to and by that way. Is this not the truth as it is understood today? When I found myself at a similar discovery, I find him and that as an inspiration.

In those days and others, there were places a person could go. In these times I look at monastaries as an expensive theme hotel for the wealthy I have to wonder, is the question to be asked to these people "can salvation be bought or sold?" , or, "did the buddha have an economic barrier between him and the needy?"

I know the answer, "so do we". He went out into the world. I've been out in the world. It is illegal to camp on public land for more than two weeks a year. It cost 20 bucks a night to camp at a state park so if you do live in the woods as I have, you live in hiding at risk of persecution. If you go into towns and cities as I have done, you are not taken into the homes of believers like in the stories, you are treated as trash and in danger of police.  

The buddha says that a devotee should leave household life and duties to the homeless state, I have and did, not by his command or suggestion but by my own understandig, however it is against the law and ends in a realization of its futility.

Yes the world needs everyone and everyone needs the world, it is as lau tsu says "heaven & earth are ever lasting because they do not live for or by themselves" This is also human nature; if I myself had something to teach, I would make that its foundation. That as a primate and a cultural  animal we cannot survive long for or by the self. That all permanent cultures have survived the eons by that they live for and by eachother. Industrialized capitolism teaches and enforces the opposite...what do I have to offer a bunch of me's? The only support I feel I can really offer the world is a devoted life, to meditate is to pray. When economic actions become unethical It is ethical to live from the offerings of others in exchange for devoted, continuous prayer for others by way of non-action in sitting meditation. Thereis nothing selfish in this that I see. I delivered my children, I went off into the world with my children. If I left them to pursue my own self interest, then that would be selfish. So I see meditation as the only selfless and ethical course, it is to deprive one's self of self; No?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118251
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from alivingman
Nov.07.2010
03:26AM EDT 
Email alivingman
vertical line I understand how you feel about everything. I too have been experiencing conflict within myself recently. I have always had a strong desire to go spend my time in a monastery. To wall up and devote myself to nothing but striving. I have also had a strong desire to travel the country and meet new people and experience beautiful things. I also have a strong desire to go out to LA and help my sister write a movie. I have had many desires, but alas, the only desire I have found fit to devote my life to is the desire to help others.

I meant to escape my home and live a romantic life, so at 19 I moved out to Boston from Cleveland and started a whole new life. But, I thought about things, and well, a year later here I am. Pulled back to Cleveland, before I could even think about it, haha. I work menial jobs that allow me to just scrape by and pay my bills/fund my ideas.

I've found changing things is really pretty easy, so long as you remain optimistic. I've started stealing vacant land from the city and building gardens on it to bring people together in the poorer areas and to help educate them. I teach little kids how to garden and draw and do all sorts of goofy stuff. Im currently trying to start a Free School. Im trying to start a Really Really Free Market. I organize protests. I do all sorts of fun stuff! I want to make a better world for all beings.

Now, Im not telling you all this just to brag. What Im trying to get at is that you SEE there are problems with society. You are displeased with how things are, strive to better this society for the benefit of all beings. Instead of leaving the whole thing for everyone else to deal with, take a stand. You are the awakened one, so wake others up.

And get creative with how you help. Everything I've been doing has just been ideas that have occurred to me as I go and they've been working out great! I've also been able to make the time to meditate every day and continue my practice diligently.

And you must understand, your children need your self. Void does not raise children, fathers do.

Rethink how "selfless" your action would be. Understand your importance to others and your potential to others. Or dont. You choose.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118253
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from LeonBasin
Nov.07.2010
04:18AM EDT 
Email LeonBasin
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "when you are lost in the forest, the best thing to do is to just sit"

No. The man who does that is full of self pity, ignorance, and despair.

When Esoteric is "lost" in the forest, he is not lost at all. He knows exactly where he is. He is in the forest, so he behaves accordingly. When he is hungry, he finds food. When he is thirsty, he finds water. When he is cold, he makes a fire. When he needs shelter, he builds shelter. And when he is tired, he makes a place to safely rest and sleep. If and when he needs to do something somewhere other than the forest, he just goes to that place and does what needs to be done.

Sitting in selfish ignorance is no better than thievery or murder.

"

I agree with this statement.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118254
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from LeonBasin
Nov.07.2010
04:22AM EDT 
Email LeonBasin
vertical line Quote: "I understand how you feel about everything. I too have been experiencing conflict within myself recently. I have always had a strong desire to go spend my time in a monastery. To wall up and devote myself to nothing but striving. I have also had a strong desire to travel the country and meet new people and experience beautiful things. I also have a strong desire to go out to LA and help my sister write a movie. I have had many desires, but alas, the only desire I have found fit to devote my life to is the desire to help others.

I meant to escape my home and live a romantic life, so at 19 I moved out to Boston from Cleveland and started a whole new life. But, I thought about things, and well, a year later here I am. Pulled back to Cleveland, before I could even think about it, haha. I work menial jobs that allow me to just scrape by and pay my bills/fund my ideas.

I've found changing things is really pretty easy, so long as you remain optimistic. I've started stealing vacant land from the city and building gardens on it to bring people together in the poorer areas and to help educate them. I teach little kids how to garden and draw and do all sorts of goofy stuff. Im currently trying to start a Free School. Im trying to start a Really Really Free Market. I organize protests. I do all sorts of fun stuff! I want to make a better world for all beings.

Now, Im not telling you all this just to brag. What Im trying to get at is that you SEE there are problems with society. You are displeased with how things are, strive to better this society for the benefit of all beings. Instead of leaving the whole thing for everyone else to deal with, take a stand. You are the awakened one, so wake others up.

And get creative with how you help. Everything I've been doing has just been ideas that have occurred to me as I go and they've been working out great! I've also been able to make the time to meditate every day and continue my practice diligently.

And you must understand, your children need your self. Void does not raise children, fathers do.

Rethink how "selfless" your action would be. Understand your importance to others and your potential to others. Or dont. You choose.
"

Well said!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118255
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.07.2010
08:05AM EDT 
vertical line We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

~ W.H. Auden
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118257
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.07.2010
08:06AM EDT 
vertical line The star in his movie converges.

I'm a guerilla gardener too. My dirty deeds are done dirt cheaper than usual.

Be a star, shine your own light.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118258
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from soup41
Nov.07.2010
04:32PM EDT 
Email soup41
vertical line

It is a culture that assigns the role of fatherhood, not the universal nature or the ultimate reality.

There are have been and will be cultures that dont have a word for father.

The Navajo, a matriarchal society assigns the role to the mothers brother, or closest male relation. And the woman who bares the child may have bore many children by many lovers through many relations, but it is always her family who raises the children as there own and what we call a biological father is merely her lover and one just for a time.

The children that I am caregiver to are as closely related to my 2 brothers as they are to me and that is by way of the chromosome donated by my father which is the same as his brother's by way of their father. In comparing the DNA you cannot tell if they are "my" children or my brothers. If it were not for that chromosome they might as well be yours if there were any reality to anyone (or two) having possesion of children. Human DNA is so close from 1 to 1, that the differences between siblings is no smaller or greater than people of different ethnicities. What on the genome that says I should be this much shorter then my brother and that my hair will be lighter or my eyes blue and his green are equal to the difference between me and another person of a different ethnicity. Thjat we are all brothers is the genetic reality, that there are races is a perceived difference not a genetic difference. That there are fathers is again a social construct with less basis to the ultimate reality then the concept of race.

An ethnicity is a social group, the people within which identify with eachother as the same for and by what ever reason, and are seen as the same by other social groups as the same for and by what ever reason, so its reality is a concept and is only in mind and not unified with the one,  eternal mind.

Fatherhood is an egotistical position and a social construct where in the same mechanisms of identifying with certain others and being perceived as such by others is the only thing that maintains its reality.

Gotama saw fit to break the attatchments between his children and to in turn love all of humanity as these "close relations"; did he create bastards or did the concept of devoted fatherhood create bastards?

What did the buddha mean when he said:

"Suppose, a householder, or his son, or someone reborn in any family hears the law, and after hearing the law is filled with confidence in the perfect one. And filled with confidence he thinks: Full of hinderances is household life, a refuse heap; but pilgrim life is like the open air. Not easy is it to fulfil the holy life point by point from home...

...And in a short time, having givven up his more or less extensive possesion, having foresaken a smaller or larger circle of relations, he cuts off his hair and beard, puts on the yellow robe and goes forth from home to homeless life"

?

And what did it mean when it was written of him:

"T'was not through hatred of his children sweet,

T'was not throughhatred of his lovely wifed,

Thraller of hearts-not that he loved them less-

but Buddhahood more, that he renounced them all"

?

The real sin is that in our culture we have a thing called a bachelor. A man who gets to shrugg off the his responsibility to the children of his community. That the role of this bachelor comes with the special right to say "they are not my responsibility but his. I wore a rubber so children are not my responsibility"

Or even a father to look at anothers children and say these are not my responsibility because I did not have sex with that mans wife", or, "my children are mine and not that mans, they are not his worry or responsibilty, they are no concern of that man because they are mine."

These are the sins.

Children are everyones responsibility. They belong to noone. We are a cultural animal, a primate and a mammal. Dependent on eachother for life and health.

To renounce possesion of them as false, and household life as the product of an illusory state and maintaining that illusory state through emotional attatchment to a few instead of the all is righteous. To break the bond and attatchment to "yours" because of the rest of them is righteous.

To instill the illusion and servitude to a heirarchy, to promote their being stratified and labled, to promote the ideas of self and others. This is what it means to be a father in our society. This is what it means to "have a kid in school"...

One cannot rightly say, according to the ultimate reality of fatherhood or bachelerism that this I am, this is my ego.

I am egoless I love humanity. I come from an inherently antisocial culture with false ideals of patriotism and loyalty and a narrow and hindered view of true love and family. It has taken years to relearn love of and  for humanity.

Do you (the whole of us) see the world by the light of the dharma?Or do  you (the whole of us) see the dharma through the light of the world? These are different views. 

"One cannot mount two horses or stretch two bows. One cannot serve two masters for he will love one and hate the other."

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118265
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.07.2010
08:08PM EDT 
vertical line You are told your head is on backwards, and you waste time defending your feet.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118266
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.07.2010
08:11PM EDT 
vertical line Hat.

I meant defending your hat. But your feet are okay too. Unless they're not.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118267
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.07.2010
08:19PM EDT 
vertical line The multitude of words, thoughts, ideas, and excuses that you have expressed have nothing directly to do with your decision being one borne out of delusion.

The fact that they are causing the decision has everything to do with it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118268
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.08.2010
01:52PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Check this story out on the stories, books, menu on zenguide.
THE OLD WOMAN AND A MONK
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118283
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.08.2010
01:59PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line I read a story once in a book about a chinese lady (something about clouds in the title) who traced the bodidharmas foot steps across the silk road. She met a monk who had lived through the 'great leap forward' the monk was the only one left either alive or just moved on from harassment. The monk had lived with a woman for years and still tended the monestery, cleaning, repairs etc. When he was able to return to the temple after many years( the political pressure had abated) he did not do so, instead remaining with the woman. When questioned about this he said that she had looked after him when he needed and it would not be appropriate to leave the woman alone now when she was old and infirm and needed the partnership (the monk).

there is escapism and there is zen, zen is rooted in our lives in all lives. If someone needs you then that is what it is.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118284
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.08.2010
02:12PM EDT 
vertical line The soltstices of a whacking illusion, eclipsed - neither escapism nor zen. Whatever is held up to the light is blotted out.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118285
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.08.2010
03:16PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Lips smacking, overhead flight helicopter tracking, this way that, the earth to be, a coffee cup, empty, now in bed a monk, remedy, let us be, free, what's up is down, right left, no get, give, forward or back\, is understood one as all, this was, is, a shall be, a track....m
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118292
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from ______
Nov.08.2010
08:09PM EDT 
vertical line Dr. Trebor?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118306
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.08.2010
09:05PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Not sure i know what you mean by dr Trebon.
I do not see this monk being illusioned or unfree in any way more then being tied to eating or drinking, things which continue this body. The partnership as i understood it was one of survival during tough times. This was not a lust desire thing, morso a partnership of needs and this monk had realised it would cause much more suffering to have this lady  leave. as i understood it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 118309
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.01.2013
07:55AM EDT 
vertical line Gizza job.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153901
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.01.2013
09:03AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Kensho not satori .... the ego has come roaring back with a fury.
You have sighted the OX but you have not tamed it.

Endless meditation or a life with a consciousness conditioned by ignorance ... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153908
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.01.2013
09:09AM EDT 
vertical line Seeking Direction?

Exit through the gift shop ...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153909
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Aug.01.2013
09:43AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line Street Art?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153910
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.01.2013
10:29AM EDT 
vertical line Ok ...

A [Subtitled] Installation
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153911
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Aug.01.2013
11:26AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Dear Soup41 , I really hope to debate with you and your realization of Buddhism seems troo different from mine ...........seems to me we even have huge differences on the very basic understanding of Buddhism.......

I hope you could focus on one topic at a time and lets debate on that .....we could start with one topic if you interested ...you even very much welcome to contact me vis my email at fomains@gmail.com .....for a private discussion .

I really hope to debate with you for my own learning process .

Thks CSEe - Malaysia 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153915
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Aug.01.2013
11:37AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Perhaps "place" is never the cause of realization .........or could even never be the factor of your realization . In my current understanding of Buddhism , by understanding of Buddhism concept , is being awaken .....as we progress into this path , we will see no difference , all human , all animal / plant / micro-orgsm / rock / metal / rubbish / dirt is all same and equal .........with that realization one perhaps will further progress into self liberation , towards emptiness back into nothingness .

Mediatation is just one of trillions factor for self realization never the cause ....so to me , whether sitting on a soft sofa , or under a tree in the rain , or having crazy sex is never the cause of self realization but could equally be factor for self realization .

I hope to debate with you for my learning lesson as I currently of the opinion Buddhism is all about learning never teaching .

hks CSEe 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153916
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.01.2013
06:11PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Since Buddhism's very beginning, it has used delusion to get rid of delusion.
This kind of method is called expedient means.
So, this method must be clarified.
Otherwise, it doesn't lead to the cessation of delusion but to its flourishing!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153934
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.01.2013
06:15PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Endless meditation or a consciousness conditioned by ignorance ... hahahaa
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153935
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.01.2013
06:49PM EDT 
vertical line Forget the “ism” - the absurdity of zen simply will not stand for silent sitting.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153937
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.04.2013
05:56PM EDT 
vertical line I guess he wants to be ... soup42... LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153980
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Aug.04.2013
10:34PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Honestly,
I don't know who I am.
I don't know what I want.
I don't know what is and is not.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153982
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Aug.04.2013
11:03PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Life isn't it.
You are it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153983
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.05.2013
08:24AM EDT 
vertical line Direction to Perfection.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153991
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION
by Olivier Follmi
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s